JS Millionaire 7/30/2000

AutoDaFe

Jul 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/30/00

: .... won $500,000. They entered in 1999. "Oh... dammit."
:
:
: She had it, but she switched at the last moment.
:
: Mark McDermott, Lawrence Kaplan, Rudy Reber, and Kati Knudner.
:
: But... with a lot of applause (and I kinda wish a standing ovation), she
: leaves us with still a lot of money, no matter how you slice it - $32,000.

I can't think of a contestant that's annoyed me more. She was the first I
actually wished would crash and burn. Let's face it; she wouldn't have
gotten as far as she did without a few strategically placed softball
questions. She took forever to answer easy questions, talked in circles, and
proved that she didn't know jack about US history; the whole Civil War thing
was embarrassing to all concerned.

She failed, and I'm glad she did. She wanted the million, yet lacked the
brainpower to back up her desire. She let pride get in the way of the bottom
line; that's why she deserved to lose.

Daniel L Abraham

Jul 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/30/00

Steve Jeremiah Williams-Soria (Jeremy Soria) wrote ...
>WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?
>Sunday, July 30, 2000

>Mark McDermott, Lawrence Kaplan, Rudy Reber, and Kati Knudner.

Would anybody in this ng happen to know the air dates of the shows on which
people blew $218,000 (and also, if you have them, $93,000), and the names of
all the people involved? I know that these people that Jeremy mentions all
lost $218,000, with Kati Knudsen losing in July, 2000, but does anybody know
the others? Thanks in advance.

From Glendale Heights, everybody ... good night!

The 1 and Only Danster

The tribe has spoken ... it is time for you to GET RICH!
Your challenge is to achieve immunity from the 9-to-5 rat race forever!
eMail specia...@yahoo.com for all the exciting details!

Steve Jeremiah Williams-Soria (Jeremy Soria)

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?
Sunday, July 30, 2000

PREVIOUSLY ON MILLIONAIRE:

Once upon a time, a lovely lady named Lisa Lord burned up her LifeLines by the
end of her first tier. She ended up taking home only $64,000!

This time around, it's Kati Knudsen. She burned up all hers by $8000. So far,
she has $64,000. Can we get her some more money without any more LifeLines?
Find out on this SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY! edition of...

WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?

Kati Knudsen from Tigerd, Oregon, didn't know about a budgie. However, she got
a great time here with her husband in NYC.

Rundown: Kati has $64,000. She is 4 away from the million.
Kati already has $32,000 to keep for herself. No LifeLines remain.

For $125,000:
According to folklore, the Flying Dutchman is what kind of ghost?
A. Pirate B. Ship C. Treasure D. King

She knows about the ship Flying Dutchman, but she doesn't know if it's the
pirate. If the pirate was named for the ship, or the ship was named for the
pirate.

B - Ship.

Final answer.

Out of the blue, she says B - Ship.

Well, Katie, you're a wonderful contestant...

... but I have to tell you ....

... YOU'RE STILL IN THE GAME!

Can we have a 13 Clubber tonight? Let's see.

For $250,000:
The 18th, 19th, and 20th US presidents all hailed from what state?
A. Ohio B. Illinois C. Virginia D. New York

Kati is trying to go over the presidents backwards in her head. She's only
gotten as far as Kennedy and Eisenhower.

She's kinda thinking it was near the turn of the last century... but then, it
seems it should be before that.

New York stands out, because of Teddy Roosevelt, but she's not sure. She's
trying to use Lincoln as an anchor, being a senator from Illinois and all
that, or something like that. She's also thinking about Virginia, because
there were so many presidents from Virginia.

She and Regis carry on a little conversation, and they get to thinking about
where all these presidents came from. She had a few PAFs who would have bailed
her out and gotten these questions right.

She's hanging in there so far. She mentions that a woman hasn't gotten the
million yet because they're not as risky as the men. The question is, is she
more comfortable with $32,000 than $125,000.

She's going with an answer here, it looks like. Regis and Kati still chat.
"You know, I think I feel like I'm husband and wife here!"

B - Illinois. Then she pauses.

Maybe she'll take the money?

No. She wants the 13 Club shot. She thinks Lincoln is #16. She's trying to
remember the end of the Civil War when quite accidentally, a hero who sneezed
abruptly seized retreat and reversed it to victory. But that's another show
entirely.

She's thinking Lincoln ended after the war, and it takes her away from
Illinois... near the 1870s. She knows some presidents came from Ohio, but none
jump out at her at the moment.

She is going with A - Ohio.

Will she lock it in?

After seven minutes and thirty-five seconds of deliberation, Kati...

.... says "yes" to Regis' "Final answer?".

The TiVo is on pause.

Time to whip out the World Almanac.

Counting forward from Washington, the 16th president was Lincoln, the 17th
president was Andrew Johnson, and the 18th president was US Grant.

Under US Grant, it reads:

Ulysses S. Grant, 18th president, Republican.....

.... was born on April 27, 1822 ....

.... in Point Pleasant ....

OHIO!

Kati is in the 13 Club!

Will she make it a Big 14 for the half million?

This one is for $500,000:
Which of the following is the most recent member of the United Nations?
A. Andorra B. Czeck Republic C. Tonga D. Palau

She thinks she's read it in the paper, about the most recent member of the UN.
There was a country that was just added. Can she remember?

She thinks it could be Andorra.... but then she blurts out C - Tonga. She's
read about this, but she's not too sure about whether that was it.

Kati: "How's my husband doing?"
Regis: "How's your husband doing? He's decomposing!"

She does a bit more thinking.

Then she says "My answer is D - Palau."

All because of Boutros-Boutros Gali. That name was popping into her head.

Regis: Final answer?
Kati: (pause) Yes.

Oh boy. Mark McDermott, Lawrence Kaplan, Rudy Reber, and Kati Knudner?

Kati said C.

Had she said B - she would have lost $218,000. (1993)

Had she said A - her original thought ...

... she would have lost $218,000. (1993)

I can tell you right now, looking in the World Almanac, that Palau entered the
United Nations in 1994.

Katie was thinking about Tonga.

Had she said Tonga ....

she ...

would ...

have ...

.... won $500,000. They entered in 1999. "Oh... dammit."

She had it, but she switched at the last moment.

Mark McDermott, Lawrence Kaplan, Rudy Reber, and Kati Knudner.

But... with a lot of applause (and I kinda wish a standing ovation), she

leaves us with still a lot of money, no matter how you slice it - $32,000.

FASTEST FINGER FIRST:
Place these Monopoly properties according to their monetary value [i.e. the
price to buy the property], starting with the LEAST expensive.

A. St. James Place B. Ventnor Avenue
C. Baltic Avenue D. Pennsylvania Avenue

Correct answer: C-A-B-D (60 - 200 - 260 - 320)
1 of 10: Ed Witkowski, 7.42 seconds!

Ed Witowski is from New Jersey, the Jersey Shore, actually, and he's an
accountant.

An accountant.

Oh dear God, break out the No-Doz and Jolt Cola. We could lose half the
audience tonight if he goes far.

For $100: Which is a term for unrefined oil?
C - Crude.

For $200: What color is the fruit of a typical ripe pineapple?
A - Yellow.

For $300: What is the female equivalent of a duke?
B - Duchess.

For $500: What is the traditional shape of a US horse racetrack?
C - Oval.

For $1000: What adjective about language appears on those parental advisory
labels on some music packaging?
B - Explicit, after ATA (77). The $1000 is safe.

For $2000:
What dishwashing liquid's longtime ad campaign featured Madge the Manicurist?
D - Palmolive.

For $4000: What waterway was released from US control in December 31, 1999?
A - Panama Canal.

For $8000: Former White House intern Monica Lewinsky has started selling her
own line of what fashion accessory?
A. Belts B. Handbags C. Berets D. Shoes

The 50/50 leaves: B. Handbags C. Berets

Let's PAF, it's Jim. He says B - Handbags, most definitely. Or so he says.

He goes with Jim...

... and wins $8000.

For $16,000: By geographical area, what is the smallest nation in the world?
A - Vatican City.

For $32,000: Which TV character is NOT a single father?
A. Tony Miceli B. Mitch Bucannon C. Ray Barone D. Ross Geller

C - Ray Barone. (who?) He has THIRTY-TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!

(And who are B and D?)

For $64,000: On what surface is Leonardo da Vinci's "Mona Lisa" painted?
A. Canvas B. Silk C. Wood D. Vellum

C - Wood. Free shot.

SWISH!

For $125,000:
What band is named for a method of teaching music using body movement?
A. The Delfonics B. Eurythmics C. Elastica D. Depeche Mode

The right answer is B, but he says D, and he still has $32,000.

Okay. Now, everybody in the arena, WAKE UP! Here's the next FFF:
TV police series, debut, EARLIEST first.
A. Mod Squad B. Nash Bridges C. CHiPs D. Miami Vice

N.B. You know, I'm never going to associate Nash Bridges without Stone Cold
Steve Austin as Jake Cage. Regardless, I've never bothered to watch a single
episode of that show since its debut in 1996.

I'll stick to more cerebral fare like Law & Order and NYPD Blue, thank you.
Sorry, Steve, but at 10 o'clock on Fridays, I watch Iron Chef.

Correct answer: A-C-D-B
3 of 9. Winner: Daniel Brekke, 8.20 seconds!

Daniel is from El Dorado Hills, California, as an air traffic controller. He
was in the Air Force, and he and his wife has been calling the contests all
the time.

For $100: If you accomplish two goals with one act, you have "killed two birds
with one" what?
Speaking of Nash Bridges and Steve Austin and all that, it's B - Stone.

For $200: What part of a candle do you light?
C - Wick.

For $300: What kind of animal brays?
A - Donkey.

For $500:Which of the following is a standard term for an expense not paid by
a patient's health insurance?
D - Out-of-pocket.

For $1000: What letter following a number is commonly used to indicate "one
thousand"?
B - K. The $1000 is safe.

For $2000: Launched in 1996, what cable TV show features music videos and
superimposed bubbles with informative text?
D - Pop-up Video. After ATA. (89)

And if you want to be a good player on Millionaire, you should set a Season
Pass for Pop-Up Video and pay attention to the trivia. The $125,000 question
asked of Ed a few lines ago appeared during the popped-up version of "Sweet
Dreams" by the Eurythmics.

If you'd like to see Who Wants To Be a Millionaire? in person, and you're
going to be in the New York City area, call this number... 212/735-5369.

If you want some practice being on the show, play online at abc.go.com, or
play the computer game, or get the quiz book! And now, you can play the board
game, too!

WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE? was created by David Briggs with Michael
Whitehill and Steve Knight for Celador Productions, and is produced in the
United States by Valleycrest Productions for Buena Vista Television.

MILLIONAIRE?: Copyright 2000
Valleycrest Productions and Buena Vista Television.
This Update is Copyright 2000 Jeremy Soria.
All Rights Reserved.

All game material contained herein remains the property of Valleycrest and
BVTV. Opinions expressed in this update are solely those of the compiler.

From Virginia Beach - Good night everybody!

- Jeremy "TV network programmers. Who needs 'em?" - TiVo.com

DSL ... Join the Revolution ... Experience the Difference!
--
New e-mail address | "You treat me like a dog and you expect me to | AUSTIN
and rebuilt webpage | smile? You remind me of a JACKASS~!" - SCSA | 3:16

Buddy, Andre, Kerry, Eddie, Flyin' Brian, Owen Hart, Gordon Solie ... Sigh ...

lea...@my-deja.com

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
In article <3984e915...@news.mindspring.com>,
jeso...@mindspring.com wrote:

> Ed Witowski is from New Jersey, the Jersey Shore, actually, and he's an
> accountant.
>
> An accountant.
>
> Oh dear God, break out the No-Doz and Jolt Cola. We could lose half the
> audience tonight if he goes far.

That's why I'm a proud member of the League Against Chartered
Accountancy...

> For $32,000: Which TV character is NOT a single father?
> A. Tony Miceli B. Mitch Bucannon C. Ray Barone D. Ross Geller
>
> C - Ray Barone. (who?) He has THIRTY-TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!
>
> (And who are B and D?)

Well, B is/was David Hasselhoff's character on Baywatch, single father of
Hobie (yes, named after the equipment company; how humiliating). D is
David Schwimmer's character on Friends, and I had no idea he had a kid
(probably would've been the other half of the 50-50). And the IMDB
confirms that Ray Barone is Ray Romano's character on _Everybody Loves
Raymond_ (as reported by Rei Nakazawa; that's a lot of Rays, eh?); of
course, anyone who knows anything about the sitcom knows that he's still
happily married. OTOH, I never watched the show, but I do remember the
"Got Milk?" ads that the cast did...

> For $2000: Launched in 1996, what cable TV show features music videos and
> superimposed bubbles with informative text?
> D - Pop-up Video. After ATA. (89)
>
> And if you want to be a good player on Millionaire, you should set a Season
> Pass for Pop-Up Video and pay attention to the trivia. The $125,000 question
> asked of Ed a few lines ago appeared during the popped-up version of "Sweet
> Dreams" by the Eurythmics.

Damn straight. Pop-Up Video is excellent TV. Now if only they'd show it
at a time when I could catch it...

Rei "Leaper" Nakazawa
<bwoop!>

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Dean Scungio

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
POST-GAME COMMENTS BELOW

<jesoria75RE...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?
> Sunday, July 30, 2000

I immediately jumped to the ABC message boards for the post-game reaction of
Kati's performance. Two things, one of them very startling:

First, the $500K question...

> Which of the following is the most recent member of the United Nations?
> A. Andorra B. Czeck Republic C. Tonga D. Palau

Some people on ABC's boards were complaining that the correct answer was
wrong because the U.N. admitted Kiribati, Nauru, and Tonga on the same day.
(http://www.un.org/Overview/unmember.html) However, you must realize that
the exact wording of the question and answers is important and that Tonga
was the only one of these three countries given as choices. So, Tonga is a
correct answer. If say, Kiribati AND Tonga appeared, then we would have a
problem.

Second, next Tuesday night's contestant Steve (forgot the last name) posted
a backstage eyewitness account of the taping. Details:

* Kati took ten minutes on the Flying Dutchman question, 31 minutes on the
Ohio presidents question, and 33 on the Tonga question.
* For the presidents question, she sat and thought for the entire time,
reciting all the presidents out loud. Steve claims that an associate
producer announced that she broke the record for the longest time in the Hot
Seat.
* On the U.N. question, she guessed every answer, and again, sat with eyes
closed and thought. Everyone was fighting for control of their bladders.
(His words, not mine.)
* A producer remarked that Kati wanted to go all the way "because she vowed
she'd be the first woman millionaire". Didn't she mention this on the air?
* Word of mouth claimed that as her husband put her arm around her, she
punched him in the stomach. (Ouch!)
* Finally, Steve debunked the complaints on the message board that Regis
"screwed" her out of the $500K by somehow causing her to switch her correct
answer. Steve said that Regis never knew the answer, she flip-flopped
everywhere, and Regis clearly tried to talk her out of guessing and have her
walk with the money.

IMO, Kati was insane to continue with her guessing up the money ladder. Her
nervousness and possibly her ego (?) got to her in the end.

--
Dean Scungio
dscu...@worldnet.att.net

"It's not how much we give away,
it's the way we do it." -Monty Hall

Steve Jeremiah Williams-Soria (Jeremy Soria)

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
So, Daniel L Abraham.... is that your final answer?

>Steve Jeremiah Williams-Soria (Jeremy Soria) wrote ...

>>WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?
>>Sunday, July 30, 2000
>>

>>Mark McDermott, Lawrence Kaplan, Rudy Reber, and Kati Knudner.

Add one more name to that list, thanks to Cyber Reege: Jim Klimkiewicz.

>Would anybody in this ng happen to know the air dates of the shows on which
>people blew $218,000 (and also, if you have them, $93,000), and the names of
>all the people involved? I know that these people that Jeremy mentions all
>lost $218,000, with Kati Knudsen losing in July, 2000, but does anybody know
>the others? Thanks in advance.

McDermott and Kaplan both were on in January, a few shows apart from each
other, actually. McDermott had that Titanic question, while Kaplan had the
"longest single on the Billboard Hot 100" question.

Rudy Reber was in late February, and we all remember it from his errant
Phone-a-Friend who told him that John Landis directed Michael Jackson's "Bad".
His appearance on the show made all of 13 News' newscasts.

Jim Klimkiewicz, in the beginning of March, had an interesting question -
"What musical artist was the first to perform in Russia?" He went one way when
he should have gone the other.

For those that count the celebrity editions, you can throw in David Duchovny.
I don't count celebrity editions because they had more help than their three
LifeLines in their first 10 questions, and they were all guaranteed $32,000
regardless of performance.

Steve Jeremiah Williams-Soria (Jeremy Soria)

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
So, AutoDaFe.... is that your final answer?

>I can't think of a contestant that's annoyed me more. She was the first I
>actually wished would crash and burn. Let's face it; she wouldn't have
>gotten as far as she did without a few strategically placed softball
>questions. She took forever to answer easy questions, talked in circles, and
>proved that she didn't know jack about US history; the whole Civil War thing
>was embarrassing to all concerned.
>
>She failed, and I'm glad she did. She wanted the million, yet lacked the
>brainpower to back up her desire. She let pride get in the way of the bottom
>line; that's why she deserved to lose.

She wanted it. She may not have had brainpower -- after all, at the risk of
angering Mr. Ottinger, it's only easy if you know the answer -- but she had
something that some men actually lack... to put it in the words of Mick Foley,
"testicular fortitude." If you want it, you have to do what you can to get it.
If it means taking a $218,000 flyer on a wrong answer, then so be it.

She should have been asking herself if she would still be comfortable and
happy if she only won $32,000. I don't know how thoroughly she went through
with that monetary question, but still, as I said, she wanted it.

She needed to talk it through all these things. She may not be up on her US
history, but as you know, the producers encourage the contestants to talk out
their thoughts. She didn't entirely blindly guess at her third tier questions.
She had inklings about what the answer could be.

She deserved a standing ovation for that effort... I had never seen anyone
struggle over such questions more than she did.

Goongas

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
She had all the time in the world to talk it over, literally...She spent an
hour on the Presidents and U.N. alone. WWTBAM is an edited show...They can
make you look however they wanted to. They wanted to present her in the
best light possible.

(I believe Will from BB has complained that the editors made him look a
certain way that did not represent all of his character.)

Tuesday night's contestant wrote a behind the scenes account of what
happened. He said for the UN question, she did not have any idea what it
was. She had said out loud all of the answers. So of course, the editors
show her saying Tonga, so when she says after she loses, I had it.., I had
it..., it fits...But if she really didn't have it, then she was just saying
that to try to convince herself that she really knew it...

I wasn't at the actual taping, but I don't see why Tuesday night's
contestant would lie...

If that account was true, poor studio audience...They make you get there two
hours before it starts, they don't let you know what is going on until like
15 minutes before they start taping, there are breaks to write Regis' stuff
and for reshoots, plus, they had to sit through an hour of someone
contemplating two questions...

I went to a taping early in the show's run. There was a 18 year old
contestant (John McClain or something similar sounding) spent about 15
minutes on a presidental question having to do with how many presidents were
elected in the 70's. Just that alone was not enjoyable, never mind an hour
of it.

I don't feel as sorry for Regis, because he earned $150,000 for sitting
there...I must say, usually Regis wants contestants to go for it, but he saw
that she had no idea, so he was pleading with her to stop...

And as for giving her a standing ovation, Tuesday night's contestant said
the people waiting to go on for show 2 of the day plus the 10 FF contestants
were praying that she would blow it, so she didn't take another hour on the
million dollar question...
--
Eric Panchenko

"Steve Jeremiah Williams-Soria (Jeremy Soria)"

<jesoria75RE...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

Daniel L Abraham

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00

Steve Jeremiah Williams-Soria (Jeremy Soria) wrote in message
<3984fa8a...@news.mindspring.com>...
>So, Daniel L Abraham.... is that your final answer?

Yup.

Thanks a lot! One day, I will actually post the WWTBAM Team Dozen page -
that being the list of six- or seven- figure winners (and spectacular
losers) on WWTBAM. This includes the Platinum Class ($1,000,000), the Gold
Class ($500,000), the Silver Class ($250,000), the Bronze Class ($125,000),
and the newly-created Iron Class (gagged on the $500K question). If anybody
knows the names and air dates for people in the Lead Class (blown gasket at
$250K) then please forward them to me. Thanks again.

From Glendale Heights, everybody ... good night!

The 1 and Only Danster

The tribe has spoken ... it is time for you to GET RICH!

Your challenge is to achieve permanent immunity from the 9-to-5 rat race.

Chris B.

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
On Mon, 31 Jul 2000 04:14:12 GMT,
jesoria75RE...@mindspring.com (Steve Jeremiah Williams-Soria
(Jeremy Soria)) wrote:

>So, AutoDaFe.... is that your final answer?

>>I can't think of a contestant that's annoyed me more. She was the first I
>>actually wished would crash and burn. Let's face it; she wouldn't have
>>gotten as far as she did without a few strategically placed softball
>>questions. She took forever to answer easy questions, talked in circles, and
>>proved that she didn't know jack about US history; the whole Civil War thing
>>was embarrassing to all concerned.
>>
>>She failed, and I'm glad she did. She wanted the million, yet lacked the
>>brainpower to back up her desire. She let pride get in the way of the bottom
>>line; that's why she deserved to lose.
>
>She wanted it. She may not have had brainpower -- after all, at the risk of
>angering Mr. Ottinger, it's only easy if you know the answer -- but she had
>something that some men actually lack... to put it in the words of Mick Foley,
>"testicular fortitude." If you want it, you have to do what you can to get it.
>If it means taking a $218,000 flyer on a wrong answer, then so be it.
>
>She should have been asking herself if she would still be comfortable and
>happy if she only won $32,000. I don't know how thoroughly she went through
>with that monetary question, but still, as I said, she wanted it.
>
>She needed to talk it through all these things. She may not be up on her US
>history, but as you know, the producers encourage the contestants to talk out
>their thoughts. She didn't entirely blindly guess at her third tier questions.
>She had inklings about what the answer could be.
>
>She deserved a standing ovation for that effort... I had never seen anyone
>struggle over such questions more than she did.

I'm with you there, JS. Many people here probably were irritated that
she took so much time on her question set. After using her lifelines
by $8K, can you blame her? I don't. Michael Davies himself said
(during the behind-the-scenes special, and to every contestant) "Do
not be rushed by Regis Philbin. It's not his money. It's your
money."

That effort harkened back to Lisa Lord, Joe Roberts, and Joe Trela for
me. They lost their lifelines in the middle five as well, but ended
up with big money, including Trela becoming a $1M winner.

This girl had guts, and probably had more than I would've had, had I
been in her position. With her competing for $500K when she basically
had no lifelines for the has six questions she answered, this was
incredible.

She employed the right strategy, under the circumstances. Talking out
her answers got her to $32K and beyond, but the ending was not what we
expected. She did the right thing, and talked it out. Some may hate
her for that, but I admire her for taking her shot.

She has my vote for a standing ovation. As I stated in another post,
she nearly pulled off the comeback of a lifetime. I'll probably say
that as of right now, she did...

God Bless you Kati.

CB2000

Phil Mushnick's Worst Nightmare

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
In article <3984fa8a...@news.mindspring.com>,
jeso...@mindspring.com wrote:
> So, Daniel L Abraham.... is that your final answer?
>

> >Steve Jeremiah Williams-Soria (Jeremy Soria) wrote ...

> >>WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?
> >>Sunday, July 30, 2000
> >>
> >>Mark McDermott, Lawrence Kaplan, Rudy Reber, and Kati Knudner.
>
> Add one more name to that list, thanks to Cyber Reege: Jim
Klimkiewicz.

That's Richard Klimkiwicz not Jim.

> >Would anybody in this ng happen to know the air dates of the shows
on which
> >people blew $218,000 (and also, if you have them, $93,000), and the
names of
> >all the people involved? I know that these people that Jeremy
mentions all
> >lost $218,000, with Kati Knudsen losing in July, 2000, but does
anybody know
> >the others? Thanks in advance.
>
> McDermott and Kaplan both were on in January, a few shows apart from
each
> other, actually. McDermott had that Titanic question, while Kaplan
had the
> "longest single on the Billboard Hot 100" question.

Dickweed Caplan (Notice his name is spelled with a C & not a K) made
the biggest ass of himself saying that Celine Dion sang I Will Alyways
Love You now with Kati we have the Perfect Marriage. The Dickweed & The
Asshole

Greg

William F. Beyer Jr.

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
I totally agree with Steve on this.
She thought she was smart, but she wasn't!!!
She thought the Civil War ended in 1861!!!
She spent probably over 90 minutes in the hot seat total!!!

I must say however, she seemed to have studied either ALOT or got lucky and
studied the right things. She "said" that she could picture a page in a book
with all the presidents in Ohio. She also said mentioned she could picture a
book with when countries entered the U.N. Unfortuanately for her, she didn't
remember any of it.

Billy Beyer
Host of Who Wants To Be A Net Millionaire
http://www.geocities.com/wwtbanm/index.html

gambler wrote:

> Steve Jeremiah Williams-Soria (Jeremy Soria) wrote in message

> >She deserved a standing ovation for that effort... I had never seen anyone
> >struggle over such questions more than she did.
>

> I can't imagine why someone who "struggle(d) over such questions" would
> deserve any kind of ovation at all. I, too, thought she was extremely
> annoying and was waiting and hoping for her to crash and burn.
>
> Chris

William F. Beyer Jr.

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
I meant 1868.
Also, anyone know what episodes of Jeopardy are on this week?
I'll be gone every night this week and I'm wondering if it's a special editon of
reruns (like ToC or College) or just normal reruns.
Please LMK by 12:00 PM EST today.

Thanks,
Billy Beyer

Billy Beyer

Sam Johnson

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00

> For $125,000:
> What band is named for a method of teaching music using body movement?
> A. The Delfonics B. Eurythmics C. Elastica D. Depeche Mode

I thought this was rather easy for 1/8th million--being a musician
myself, we often practice eurythmics at my music school. But then
again, I guess I am biased, and <morehits4u> we are all stoopid on
different topics </morehits4u>.

--
Sam Johnson (change my-deja to hotmail to reply)
host of 'net What Do You Know

berse...@my-deja.com

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
In article <3985fbea...@news.mindspring.com>,

jeso...@mindspring.com wrote:

> She wanted it. She may not have had brainpower -- after all, at the
risk of
> angering Mr. Ottinger, it's only easy if you know the answer -- but
she had
> something that some men actually lack... to put it in the words of
Mick Foley,
> "testicular fortitude." If you want it, you have to do what you can
to get it.
> If it means taking a $218,000 flyer on a wrong answer, then so be it.
>
> She should have been asking herself if she would still be comfortable
and
> happy if she only won $32,000. I don't know how thoroughly she went
through
> with that monetary question, but still, as I said, she wanted it.
>
> She needed to talk it through all these things. She may not be up on
her US
> history, but as you know, the producers encourage the contestants to
talk out
> their thoughts. She didn't entirely blindly guess at her third tier
questions.
> She had inklings about what the answer could be.
>
> She deserved a standing ovation for that effort... I had never seen
anyone
> struggle over such questions more than she did.

Jeremy, she also took an hour and a half to film those three
questions. AN HOUR AND A HALF.

And her reaction to losing, visibly swearing and acting like it was
someone else's fault, can hardly be endearing.

lockhon

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00

> That effort harkened back to Lisa Lord, Joe Roberts,
> and Joe Trela for
> me. They lost their lifelines in the middle five as
> well, but ended
> up with big money, including Trela becoming a $1M
> winner.
> This girl had guts, and probably had more than I
> would've had, had I
> been in her position. With her competing for $500K
> when she basically
> had no lifelines for the has six questions she
> answered, this was
> incredible.
> She employed the right strategy, under the
> circumstances.

Don't compare her to Trela. He knew, or was relatively sure
about, all of his third tier questions. What he did on the
MDQ, risking that much when he was not 100% sure, was
exceptionally gutsy. Answering question 14 when you have no
idea, and when during a half hour of thought you have
settled on all four choices at some point, is stupid. Not
gutsy, stupid. She clearly had no concept of basic
mathematics, in particular how quickly 0.25 gets small when
you start raising it to powers.

I have seen people miss big money questions who made a
deliberate decision that the risk was worth it, and they
could live with dropping down to $32k. This was clearly not
the case here - she was mad as hell at herself, and anyone
else nearby. I have seen people miss when they were sure
they (or their phone-a-friend) were right - probably hard
to live with, but you can't argue the decision to go with
perceived certainty. But we could tell from five minutes of
TV - with 25 even-more-enlightening minutes edited out -
that she had no clue. (What was the Boutrous-Boutrous Ghali
crap - did she not know he was African, or not know none of
the choices was in Africa?)

She got shafted by the budgie question at 4k (although easy
Q's 10 & 11 made up for it). That is our monthly example of
Michael Davies assuming what is easy in England is easy
here. But remember, she had already used her ATA at 1k when
she didn't know FBI agents were called G-men (and worse,
didn't realize the other choices were silly.) The 125k and
250k questions were not free passes, but they were not
obscure or impossible either. No one here would be raving
about someone who went through her stack to win 250k - just
a nice solid run with some of the trickier stuff early. But
she AGONIZED over those things before answering (guessing).
There are some things you get no extra credit for knowing
on quiz shows, even if they would stump most of the
population. U.S. presidents trails only state capitals on
that list, and she was not up to speed.

And Jeremy - she may run marathons in her spare time, but
don't compare her to David Honea either. I run marathons,
and spare time is all the other stuff.

david

* Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping. Smart is Beautiful

namil...@yahoo.com

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
In article <8m2ror$2ao$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> > Ed Witowski is from New Jersey, the Jersey Shore, actually, and
he's an
> > accountant.
> >
> > An accountant.
> >
> > Oh dear God, break out the No-Doz and Jolt Cola. We could lose half
the
> > audience tonight if he goes far.
>
> That's why I'm a proud member of the League Against Chartered
> Accountancy...
>
> > For $32,000: Which TV character is NOT a single father?
> > A. Tony Miceli B. Mitch Bucannon C. Ray Barone D. Ross Geller
> >
> > C - Ray Barone. (who?) He has THIRTY-TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!
> >
> > (And who are B and D?)
>
> Well, B is/was David Hasselhoff's character on Baywatch, single
father of
> Hobie (yes, named after the equipment company; how humiliating). D is
> David Schwimmer's character on Friends, and I had no idea he had a kid
> (probably would've been the other half of the 50-50). And the IMDB
> confirms that Ray Barone is Ray Romano's character on _Everybody Loves
> Raymond_ (as reported by Rei Nakazawa; that's a lot of Rays, eh?); of
> course, anyone who knows anything about the sitcom knows that he's
still
> happily married. OTOH, I never watched the show, but I do remember
the
> "Got Milk?" ads that the cast did...
>
> > For $2000: Launched in 1996, what cable TV show features music
videos and
> > superimposed bubbles with informative text?
> > D - Pop-up Video. After ATA. (89)
> >
> > And if you want to be a good player on Millionaire, you should set
a Season
> > Pass for Pop-Up Video and pay attention to the trivia. The $125,000
question
> > asked of Ed a few lines ago appeared during the popped-up version
of "Sweet
> > Dreams" by the Eurythmics.
>
> Damn straight. Pop-Up Video is excellent TV. Now if only they'd
show it
> at a time when I could catch it...

I still miss the website. I'd like to know if there are any more PUV's
that got pulled.

Nicholas Mooneyhan

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
"William F. Beyer Jr." wrote:

> I meant 1868.
> Also, anyone know what episodes of Jeopardy are on this week?
> I'll be gone every night this week and I'm wondering if it's a special editon of
> reruns (like ToC or College) or just normal reruns.
> Please LMK by 12:00 PM EST today.
>
> Thanks,
> Billy Beyer

FYI, They are going to rerun the celebrity J! week this week.
I might watch since I am not a faithful J! viewer and I wanna see Rosie get creamed.
(sorry, I'm not the Rosie fan folks)

|Nicholas J. Mooneyhan |
|->Soon to be college graduate (only 1 more year left!) |
|The Game $how Soundbooth is at: |
|http://users3.50megs.com/gameshow2000/ |
|Nicholas Mooneyhan's Game $how Homepage is at: |
|http://crash.to/mooneyhan/ |
|The Goodson/Todman WebRing is located at: |
|http://www.geocities.com/gtwebring/ |

Matt Ottinger

Jul 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/31/00
berse...@my-deja.com wrote:

> Jeremy, she also took an hour and a half to film those three
> questions. AN HOUR AND A HALF.
>
> And her reaction to losing, visibly swearing and acting like it was
> someone else's fault, can hardly be endearing.

On his talk show this morning, Regis mentioned that she later phoned the
producer to apologize for her behavior. Regis said something along the
lines of "you can hardly blame her" for being upset.

Still, I have to agree with those that said she was, for the most part,
annoying. She lost me on the first day with what I thought was a pretty
condescending attitude toward her PAF and TV viewing in general.

--Matt
otti...@acd.net

AAr3172534

Aug 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/1/00
>She deserved a standing ovation for that effort... I had never seen anyone
>struggle over such questions more than she did.

I didn't watch that show, so I am piggy-backing from ATGS posts.

Regis may have talked her out of the correct answer, but the fact is that she
selfishally blew $218,000 by guessing and giving a wrong answer. She has
nothing to blame but herself! If you are not 100% sure on the $500,000 answer,
you should TAKE THE MONEY! CASE CLOSED!

Ted Patchell

Aug 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/1/00
<<Ed Witowski is from New Jersey, the Jersey Shore, actually, and
he's an accountant.
An accountant.
Oh dear God, break out the No-Doz and Jolt Cola. We could lose
half the audience tonight if he goes far.>>

The ABC/GO.com message board has been chock-full of messages
about Kati, from every possible angle. You won't find ONE
message about dear boring Ed there.

I think that's incredible testimony to the power of appearance on
TV

Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com