JS Millionaire 8/15/2000

Steve Jeremiah Williams-Soria (Jeremy Soria)

Aug 15, 2000, 9:41:35 PM8/15/00
WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?
Tuesday, August 15, 2000

PREVIOUSLY ON MILLIONAIRE:

We've been getting a lot of tough breaks lately! Four good contestants, good,
intelligent, logical contestants. But among the four, one won $32,000 and the
rest only $1000.

Lines of the week, after the PAF doesn't know what the new unified team on
Survivor was:

Regis: "They said everybody was watching. What happened?" (slight laughter)
Maureen: "I guess we found two people that aren't." (laughter and applause)

Anyway, we start again with Phil Gibbons. Can he be the one to get the big
money?

It's all next on...

WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?

Phil Gibbons. He's from Santa Monica, CA, but moved out of New York. They went
to an Irish pub last night. Anyway, he's a business development person for an
Internet company.

Rundown: Phil has $300 and is 12 away from the million.
Next guarantee is 2 away at $1000. All three LifeLines remain.

For $500:
What liquid here is correctly described as "potable"?
D- Ginger ale.

For $1000:
Which British queen has the famous nickname "Bloody"?
B - Queen Mary I.
The $1000 is safe!

For $2000: The Razor is a name for a popular new what?
A - Scooter, after ATA (51).

For $4000: 19th century stage lighting methods included the flame heating of
what chemical compound to spotlight actors?
A. Carbonic oxide B. Lime C. Potash D. Boric acid

Let's go 50/50: B. Lime D. Boric acid

Aha! Epiphany! B - Lime. As in "Limelight." He has $4000!

For $8000: What actor made his motion picture debut as the star of the 1970
movie "Hercules in New York"?
A. Robert Duvall B. Nick Nolte
C. Robert De Niro D. Arnold Schwarzenegger

Hmmm. We need to Phone a Friend! It's Chris.
Chris definitively says D - Arnold Schwarzenegger.

And so does he. And now he has $8000.

N.B.: Let's retrace our steps and see what kinds of questions the previous
three contestants got in the second tier.

Maureen Block -
$2000: A good "think it through" question, if you know what "A.D." means.
$4000: Current events AND TV trivia!

Gary Jackson -
$2000: Movies.
$4000: World History. Recent, I might add. Another good "think it through"
one.
$8000: Either you know it or you don't. You took Spanish, know some Spanish,
or you don't. A good roadblock-type trivia question where if you don't know
it, you are bound to use a LifeLine.

Zack Jaffe -
$2000: General knowledge.
$4000: Sports and current events.
$8000: Current events.
$16,000: Movies.

Now, with Phil Gibbons:

$2000: Pop culture. Probably also current events.
$4000: Interesting "think it through" question. He only realized the right
answer after having used the 50/50, though.
$8000: Movies.

Seems as if the pop culture is starting to trip up our contestants now. Hmmm.

For $16,000:
What musician sings the theme song for the TV series "Dawson's Creek"?
A. Tori Amos B. Paula Cole C. Sarah McLachlan D. Alanis Morissette

He's risking $7000 on B - Paula Cole.

Good guess. VERY good! He has $16,000!

And now, he is looking to lock in $32,000:
The annual Pulitzer Prize awards are bestowed by what university?
A. Harvard B. Yale C. Columbia D. Northwestern

He thinks it's C - Columbia.

Very important here. If he misses, he takes home $1000. If it's right, he will
have locked in $32,000.

He said C - Columbia.

He now has ....

THIRTY-TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!

For $64,000:
Which of these is NOT a novel by trend-watching author Douglas Coupland?
A. Generation X B. Shampoo Planet C. Microserfs D. High Fidelity

If "Generation X" were the fourth choice instead of the first, do you think it
would be read "DeGeneration X"? ;-)

He knows the first two choices were written by Mr. Coupland. He will choose D
- High Fidelity, simply because it sounds normal.

There goes the free shot....

..... SWISH!

For $125,000:
In 1997, the national organization Students Against Drunk Driving changed the
last two words of its name to what?

A. Discimination/Denial
B. Drugs/Drinking
C. Danger/Delinquency
D. Destructive Decisions

Let's see if his final answer D - Destructive Decisions is correct...

Mind you, the year was 1997, one year before Jonesboro, and two years before
Columbine, when they changed their name.

He said D.

Had he said A ... he would have lost half.

Had he said C ... he would have lost half.

He said D.

If he said B ....

He would have lost half! HE HAS ONE HUNDRED TWENTY-FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS!

All of a sudden, he's knocking on the door of the 13 Club!

Here it is for $250,000:
Which country encompasses all of Asia Minor?
A. Turkey B. Indonesia C. Iran D. Ukraine

One answer seems to stick out here - it's A - Turkey.

That's his final answer!

He is risking $93,000 on this question.

Will it pay off?

The correct answer is ...

A - TURKEY!

13 down! 2 to go! For $500,000:
What Russian prime minister was deposed by the Bolsheviks in October 1917?
A. Lavr Kornilov B. Aleksandr Kerensky
C. Leon Trotsky D. Nikolai Bulganin

"Um, you know, I have an incredible interest in imperial Russian history. I
know Leon Trotsky was a Bolshevik. Nikolai Bulganin was a Soviet Communist in
the fifties. Kornilov I never heard of. And Aleksander Kerensky was the prime
minister of the provisional government that *was* deposed by the Bolsheviks in
1917."

He knows it. He says B - Aleksandr Kerensky, and...

... HE HAS FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS!

And so, ladies and gentleman, after running out of LifeLines at $8000, this
man is on the brink of picking up one million dollars. This is one of those
great comebacks since Lisa Lord and Joe Trela!

Can he do it?

Everybody pay attention, because here is the Million Dollar Question:
In the United States, the Sony Walkman personal cassette player was originally
marketed in 1979 under what name?
A. Soundabout B. Listener C. Eardrummer D. Stowaway

He does not know it. He will take the money.

He has a guess of D - Stowaway.

The correct answer is...

... A - Soundabout.

But... we will see him in November, or whenever they do a Tournament of
Champions again, for he's taking home FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS!

And so, we're going to start over with 10 more contestants in the Contestant
Gallery! They're all going to be asked this FAST FINGERS FIRST question:

Republicans, birth, MOST RECENT first.
A. Abraham Lincoln B. Dan Quayle C. Barry Goldwater D. Calvin Coolidge

Correct answer: B-C-D-A
NINE of ten right! Winner: Brandon Moen, 3.72 seconds!

Brandon is from Chini, Washington. He's still in college. He's into urban and
regional planning.

For $100:
While reciting the Pledge of Allegiance, you place your right hand over what
body part?
B - Heart. Not D- Left toe.

For $200: "Ambulance chaser" is a not-so-nice term for an opportunistic member
of what profession?
A - Law.

For $300: According to a title of a folk song, who "Lies over the Ocean"?
Let's ATA - they say A - My Bonnie. (91)

For $500: Where are you if you're driving in the Motor City?
C - Detroit.

For $1000: By definition, what is planted on land that is lying fallow?
A. Flowers B. Rice C. Wheat D. Nothing

Let's go with D - Nothing.

And ...

He's leaving with ...

$1000.

For $2000:
In May 2000, a computer e-mail virus originating in the Philippines had what
subject line?
A - I Love You.

For $4000: What athlete created a maneuver called the "Rope-a-dope"?
B - Muhammmad Ali. He used the 50/50 on this. I realize that he was before his
time - he's only 21 years old.

For $8000:
What mountain range runs along the borders of Tennessee and North Carolina?
A. Great Smoky Mountains B. Ozark Mountains
C. Catskill Mountains D. White Mountains

Jim Cornette will kill him if he misses this question. :)

He knows it. A - Great Smoky Mountains. He has $8000.

For $16,000:
The pop song "Graduation (Friends Forever)", played at many commencements in
2000, is sung by whom?
A. Mandy Moore B. Eminem C. Aaliyah D. Vitamin C

He thinks it's D - Vitamin C.

Yes?

Yes?

Yes!

And now, to lock in $32,000:
In the 1844 novel by Dumas, which of the following is NOT one of "The Three
Musketeers"?
A. Aramis B. Porthos C. Athos D. D'artagnan

He has the perfect LifeLine. He has an English prof to help him, Dana.
Under presure, he says C - Athos in the nick of time.

So - no LifeLines left.

Hmmm.

With $15,000 on the line...

He is going to...

.... take the money.

Had he gone with his PAF...

.... he would have lost $15,000. The correct answer is D - D'artagnan.
He still has $16,000!

FFF: Place these snacks in the order they were first introduced to the public,
starting with the EARLIEST.

A. Ritz Bits sandwiches B. Twinkies
C. Fig Newtons D. Kellogg's Pop Tarts

Correct answer: C-B-D-A
3 of 9 right. Winner: Frank Tangredi, 5.02 seconds!

Frank is a bit heavy-set. With a relieved look on his face, he says, "Food
question. I knew this would come in handy someday!"

Let's dive right in.

For $100:
According to a common phrase, someone who has joined a popular cause or
opinion has climbed on the what?
B- Bandwagon.

For $200:
What does the D stand for in 3-D?
B - Dimensional.

For $300:
Which is a nickname for a girl that likes to participate in traditionally male
activities?
A - Tomboy. I'm glad they steered away from some of the other names they could
have chosen. ;-)

For $500:
What type of animal is Snuggle, the mascot for Snuggle Fabric Softener?
C - Bear.

For $1000:
Which of these would properly be classified as flora?
B - Dandelion. The $1000 is safe.

For $2000:
What is the name of a device used to separate components of a mixture by
spinning them rapidly?
D - Centrifuge.

**AH-WHOOOOOO!**

Nine people start Thursday's show, which will air at 8pm, 7pm Central due to
the DNC thing. Wrestling fans rejoice, because you'll be seeing the second
half of SmackDown! instead of the first. :)

Phone lines reopen Sunday, August 20.

If you'd like to see Who Wants To Be a Millionaire? in person, and you're
going to be in the New York City area, call this number... 212/735-5369.

If you want some practice being on the show, play online at abc.go.com, or
play the computer game, or get the quiz book! And now, you can play the board
game, too!

WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE? was created by David Briggs with Michael
Whitehill and Steve Knight for Celador Productions, and is produced in the
United States by Valleycrest Productions for Buena Vista Television.

MILLIONAIRE?: Copyright 2000
Valleycrest Productions and Buena Vista Television.
This Update is Copyright 2000 Jeremy Soria.
All Rights Reserved.

All game material contained herein remains the property of Valleycrest and
BVTV. Opinions expressed in this update are solely those of the compiler.

From Virginia Beach - Good night everybody!

- Jeremy "TV network programmers. Who needs 'em?" - TiVo.com

DSL ... Join the Revolution Hate Bush? Gore sucks? Then vote GREEN!
... and Experience the Difference! Vote Nader/LaDuke in November.
--
jeremy75 (at) | "You treat me like a dog and you expect me to | AUSTIN
bellatlantic . net | smile? You remind me of a JACKASS~!" - SCSA | 3:16

Buddy, Andre, Kerry, Eddie, Flyin' Brian, Owen Hart, Gordon Solie ... Sigh ...

Chris B.

Aug 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/16/00
On Wed, 16 Aug 2000 01:41:35 GMT,
jeremy75-REM...@bellatlantic.net (Steve Jeremiah
Williams-Soria (Jeremy Soria)) wrote:

>Rundown: Phil has $300 and is 12 away from the million.
>Next guarantee is 2 away at $1000. All three LifeLines remain.
>
>For $500:
>What liquid here is correctly described as "potable"?
>D- Ginger ale.
>
>For $1000:
>Which British queen has the famous nickname "Bloody"?
>B - Queen Mary I.
>The $1000 is safe!
>
>For $2000: The Razor is a name for a popular new what?
>A - Scooter, after ATA (51).
>
>For $4000: 19th century stage lighting methods included the flame heating of
>what chemical compound to spotlight actors?
>A. Carbonic oxide B. Lime C. Potash D. Boric acid
>
>Let's go 50/50: B. Lime D. Boric acid
>
>Aha! Epiphany! B - Lime. As in "Limelight." He has $4000!

At this point, I was thinking, had he thought about this question a
little more, the epiphany would've still happened, and he would've
saved his 50:50, but that's just me.

At this point, I honestly thought he was dead meat. Boy, was I wrong.

>For $16,000:
>What musician sings the theme song for the TV series "Dawson's Creek"?
>A. Tori Amos B. Paula Cole C. Sarah McLachlan D. Alanis Morissette
>
>He's risking $7000 on B - Paula Cole.
>
>Good guess. VERY good! He has $16,000!
>
>And now, he is looking to lock in $32,000:
>The annual Pulitzer Prize awards are bestowed by what university?
>A. Harvard B. Yale C. Columbia D. Northwestern
>
>He thinks it's C - Columbia.
>
>Very important here. If he misses, he takes home $1000. If it's right, he will
>have locked in $32,000.
>
>He said C - Columbia.
>
>He now has ....
>

>THIRTY-TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!
>
>For $64,000:
>Which of these is NOT a novel by trend-watching author Douglas Coupland?
>A. Generation X B. Shampoo Planet C. Microserfs D. High Fidelity
>
>If "Generation X" were the fourth choice instead of the first, do you think it
>would be read "DeGeneration X"? ;-)
>
>He knows the first two choices were written by Mr. Coupland. He will choose D
>- High Fidelity, simply because it sounds normal.
>
>There goes the free shot....
>

>..... SWISH!
>
>For $125,000:
>In 1997, the national organization Students Against Drunk Driving changed the
>last two words of its name to what?
>
>A. Discimination/Denial
>B. Drugs/Drinking
>C. Danger/Delinquency
>D. Destructive Decisions
>
>Let's see if his final answer D - Destructive Decisions is correct...
>
>Mind you, the year was 1997, one year before Jonesboro, and two years before
>Columbine, when they changed their name.
>
>He said D.
>
>Had he said A ... he would have lost half.
>
>Had he said C ... he would have lost half.
>
>He said D.
>
>If he said B ....
>

>He would have lost half! HE HAS ONE HUNDRED TWENTY-FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS!

I was also thinking between B and D, but B seemed to be an expansion
of SADD's charter, which seems logical, but not necessarily true.

>All of a sudden, he's knocking on the door of the 13 Club!
>
>Here it is for $250,000:
>Which country encompasses all of Asia Minor?
>A. Turkey B. Indonesia C. Iran D. Ukraine
>
>One answer seems to stick out here - it's A - Turkey.
>
>That's his final answer!
>
>He is risking $93,000 on this question.
>
>Will it pay off?
>
>The correct answer is ...
>

>A - TURKEY!
>
>13 down! 2 to go! For $500,000:
>What Russian prime minister was deposed by the Bolsheviks in October 1917?
>A. Lavr Kornilov B. Aleksandr Kerensky
>C. Leon Trotsky D. Nikolai Bulganin
>
>"Um, you know, I have an incredible interest in imperial Russian history. I
>know Leon Trotsky was a Bolshevik. Nikolai Bulganin was a Soviet Communist in
>the fifties. Kornilov I never heard of. And Aleksander Kerensky was the prime
>minister of the provisional government that *was* deposed by the Bolsheviks in
>1917."
>
>He knows it. He says B - Aleksandr Kerensky, and...
>

>... HE HAS FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS!
>
>And so, ladies and gentleman, after running out of LifeLines at $8000, this
>man is on the brink of picking up one million dollars. This is one of those
>great comebacks since Lisa Lord and Joe Trela!
>
>Can he do it?
>
>Everybody pay attention, because here is the Million Dollar Question:
>In the United States, the Sony Walkman personal cassette player was originally
>marketed in 1979 under what name?
>A. Soundabout B. Listener C. Eardrummer D. Stowaway
>
>He does not know it. He will take the money.
>
>He has a guess of D - Stowaway.
>
>The correct answer is...

>... A - Soundabout.

Had a gut feeling it was A, but was only 45% sure of that. Then
again, I was only 3 around 1979, and therefore a blur.

>But... we will see him in November, or whenever they do a Tournament of
>Champions again, for he's taking home FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS!

What have you heard about November??? That, and I'd like to comment
that not only was this one of the greatest comeback in US WWTBAM
history, in line with Lisa Lord and Joe Trela, but (not to comment on
her again, but...) Phil Gibbons basically accomplished what Katy
Knudsen (aka Budgie Girl) could not. While Mrs. Knudsen was guessing,
Gibbons knew the answer cold. Major props to Phil Gibbons, and
congrats on winning $500,000.

Moments like that keep on bringing me back for more WWTBAM time and
time again. That was one heck of a run...

>FFF: Place these snacks in the order they were first introduced to the public,
>starting with the EARLIEST.
>
>A. Ritz Bits sandwiches B. Twinkies
>C. Fig Newtons D. Kellogg's Pop Tarts
>
>Correct answer: C-B-D-A
>3 of 9 right. Winner: Frank Tangredi, 5.02 seconds!
>
>Frank is a bit heavy-set. With a relieved look on his face, he says, "Food
>question. I knew this would come in handy someday!"

I was ROTFLMAO when that comment was made, and I thought a medteam
would have to be rushed in to help out, by his reaction.

CB2000

Robert Hutchinson

Aug 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/16/00
Piggybacking, sorry. Several people's posts aren't showing up on my
server at all. *frown*

> Steve Jeremiah Williams-Soria (Jeremy Soria)) wrote:
>
> >N.B.: Let's retrace our steps and see what kinds of questions the previous
> >three contestants got in the second tier.
> >
> >Maureen Block -
> >$2000: A good "think it through" question, if you know what "A.D." means.

Uh, how would either "after death" or "in the year of our Lord" help there?

> >$8000: Either you know it or you don't. You took Spanish, know some Spanish,
> >or you don't. A good roadblock-type trivia question where if you don't know
> >it, you are bound to use a LifeLine.

I actually reasoned this one out the next day ("Las Vegas" meaning "the meadows")
... look at the root. Vegas ... vegetation ... meadows. Same as the $64K Volvo
(revolve) question a couple of weeks ago.

Robert Hutchinson

Vinnie Maffea

Aug 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/16/00
Robert Hutchinson wrote:

> Piggybacking, sorry. Several people's posts aren't showing up on my
> server at all. *frown*
>

> > Steve Jeremiah Williams-Soria (Jeremy Soria)) wrote:
> >
> > >N.B.: Let's retrace our steps and see what kinds of questions the previous
> > >three contestants got in the second tier.
> > >
> > >Maureen Block -
> > >$2000: A good "think it through" question, if you know what "A.D." means.
>

> Uh, how would either "after death" or "in the year of our Lord" help there?

It wouldn't.

The key to this question was knowing that there was no Year Zero. This eliminated 0
B.C. and 0 A.D. since neither exist.

The other part was knowing that one of the other choices, 2 BC *preceded* 1 BC. That
left the only other choice, 1 A.D.

Pretty simple question, that's why it was for $2,000.

-- Vinnie Maffea
Webmaster, Game Show Top 100
http://www.thehottestcelebrities.com/gameshows/

John Sergent

Aug 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/16/00
Vinnie Maffea wrote:

> Robert Hutchinson wrote:
>
> > Piggybacking, sorry. Several people's posts aren't showing up on my
> > server at all. *frown*

> > Uh, how would either "after death" or "in the year of our Lord" help there?
>
> It wouldn't.
>
> The key to this question was knowing that there was no Year Zero. This eliminated 0
> B.C. and 0 A.D. since neither exist.

Or, even easier, do it this way: if there is a year 0, then it is
either both BC and AD, or neither depending on your point of view.
Therefore neither can be correct as a multiple choice answer.

--
"Just because the cat has kittens in the oven doesn't make them biscuits"

Steve Jeremiah Williams-Soria (Jeremy Soria)

Aug 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/16/00
So, Robert Hutchinson.... is that your final answer?

>Piggybacking, sorry. Several people's posts aren't showing up on my
>server at all. *frown*
>

>> Steve Jeremiah Williams-Soria (Jeremy Soria)) wrote:
>>
>> >N.B.: Let's retrace our steps and see what kinds of questions the previous
>> >three contestants got in the second tier.
>> >
>> >Maureen Block -
>> >$2000: A good "think it through" question, if you know what "A.D." means.
>

>Uh, how would either "after death" or "in the year of our Lord" help there?

(Literally, A.D. = "anno Domini")

When Christ was born, it indicated the first year of our Lord, or 1 A.D. There
is no "year zero."

>> >$8000: Either you know it or you don't. You took Spanish, know some Spanish,
>> >or you don't. A good roadblock-type trivia question where if you don't know
>> >it, you are bound to use a LifeLine.
>

>I actually reasoned this one out the next day ("Las Vegas" meaning "the meadows")
>... look at the root. Vegas ... vegetation ... meadows. Same as the $64K Volvo
>(revolve) question a couple of weeks ago.

Sure helps if you took Latin or a Romance language in high school/college...
:)

Robert Hutchinson

Aug 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/16/00
"Steve Jeremiah Williams-Soria (Jeremy Soria)" wrote:
> So, Robert Hutchinson.... is that your final answer?

> >Uh, how would either "after death" or "in the year of our Lord" help there?
>
> (Literally, A.D. = "anno Domini")
>
> When Christ was born, it indicated the first year of our Lord, or 1 A.D. There
> is no "year zero."

If the question was "What was the first year of the first century A.D.?", I could
see that. But you had to be able to know that it came specifically after 1 B.C.

> >I actually reasoned this one out the next day ("Las Vegas" meaning "the meadows")
> >... look at the root. Vegas ... vegetation ... meadows. Same as the $64K Volvo
> >(revolve) question a couple of weeks ago.
>
> Sure helps if you took Latin or a Romance language in high school/college... :)

True, true.

Robert Hutchinson
Year of Spanish (forgotten) and two years of French (slightly remembered)