2000年7月28日 凌晨3:00:002000/7/28
收件者:
WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?
Thursday, July 27, 2000

PREVIOUSLY ON MILLIONAIRE:

You get to that last inch of winning some money... and then you blow it
because you just don't want to burn up another LifeLine. Poor Rick Rosner went
with his errant Phone-a-Friend and lost $7000 after waiting 11 months to get
back on the show.

John Grochowski flew in from Chicago to get himself and his newspaper a good
name. He sure did it, as he took home a nice sum of $125,000.

Todd Flanders kicks and scratches his way up the ladder, and eventually locks
in $32,000. Only five questions to go before we can affirmatively answer the
question about Todd...

WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?

Todd "Hot Toddie" Flanders, from Knoxville, TN, has a wonderful wife.

Rundown: Todd has $32,000, the minimum he's taking home tonight.
He is 5 questions away from the million. No LifeLines remain.

Speaking of free shots, for $64,000:
What NBA team did Dick Vitale coach?
A. NY Knicks B. Cleveland Cavs C. NJ Nets D. Detroit Pistons

He has a feeling about D - Detroit... then he sees New Jersey Nets.

He'll go with his feeling, D.

It's a free shot....

.... SWISH!

On to the $125,000 question:
On the scale developed by UFO expert J. Allen Hynek, what *is* a close
encounter of the third kind?

A. Extraterrestrial sighting
B. UFO sighting
C. Being abducted
D. Dreaming of aliens

It's been a long time he's seen the movie.

He takes about three or four minutes to mull it over, trying to remember what
he saw in the movie and what he thinks the answer is.

He's going to put half his money on the line, folks.

He thinks it's A.

That's his final answer...

.... and ....

.... he now has ...

.... ONE HUNDRED TWENTY-FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS!

It's 13 Club time already? Yep, it is...

For $250,000:
What is the title of the piece of music traditionally played to salute the
Vice President of the United States?
A. Hail to the Chief B. Hail to the Victors
C. Hail, Columbia D. The General's March

He doesn't know. Comforting him, Regis says, "It'd be a bit easier if one of
the choices was 'You Can Call Me Al'..."

He takes the money, but not before he says his initial feeling of the right
answer, C...

.... and he would have been a 13 Clubber.

But he still has $125,000!

FASTEST FINGER FIRST:
Artists, birth, MOST RECENT first.
A. Frida Kahlo B. David Hockney
C. Leonardo da Vinci D. Peter Paul Rubens

Watch only one or two get the correct answer: B-A-D-C
Actually, it's 3 of 10. Winner: Michael Brand, 5.95 seconds!

Michael is from Miami Beach, Florida. He's actually originally from
Connecticut. He is an attorney (break out the No-Doz), and so is his wife and
his sister and his father....

For $100:
Which of these words is used to describe a tought uncompromising person?
B - Hard-nosed. "I'm not gonna say D (mommy)."

For $200: In North America, pumpkins are most commonly harvested during what
season?
C - Autumn.

For $300: Which procedure was developed to help choking victims?
B - Heimlich Maneuver.

For $500: Which is a traditional title for a powerful Mafia leader?
A - Don.

For $1000: An angora goat or rabbit is prized for what part of its body?
A - Hair. The $1000 is safe.

For $2000: After a well-publicized struggle with infertility, what singer
announced her pregnancy in June 2000?
C - Celine Dion.

For $4000:
Since color animation, Mickey Mouse traditionally wears what color shorts?
D - Red.

For $8000:
What is the chemical symbol for gold?
A. Au B. Ar C. G D. Ag

A - Au. I was hoping Reege would make a joke about that.

For $16,000:
In the 1992 film "Scent of a Woman," Al Pacino gives a young woman a lesson in
what kind of dance?
B - Tango.

For $32,000:
According to its ad campaign, what state "is for lovers"?
D - Virginia. He has THIRTY-TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!

For $64,000:
In early 2000, a mall was opened in the United Arab Emirates which has what
unusual feature?
A. No men B. No women C. No children D. No lights

"... or E. No idea."

Let's ATA: 13-49-19-28

B - No women. He's risking his remaining LifeLines...

.... You know, it IS unbelieveable that they'd build a mall that didn't allow
women. You know why?

.... because this mall indeed ....

.... doesn't allow MEN! (whoops!)

But he still has $32,000!

FFF: Fashion models, birth, MOST RECENT first.
A. Christie Brinkley B. Kathy Ireland
C. Lauren Hutton D. Tyra Banks

Correct answer: D-B-A-C
4 of 9 right. Winner: Kati Knudsen, 3.98 seconds!

Kati is from near Portland, Oregon. She's got an accountant husband, and she
herself is a pediatric physical therapist. She runs marathons in her spare
time, just like David Honea.

For $100:
A very tight budget is often described as what?
B - Shoestring.

For $200: What two continents make up Eurasia?
C - Europe and Asia.

For $300: By definition, what part of a convertible car can be removed?
A - Top.

For $500: The breakfast roll known as a croissant is traditionally what shape?
B - Crescent.

For $1000: by what popular nickname were FBI agents were known in the 1930s?
A - G-men. After ATA (68), she locks in $1000.

For $2000: Which musical instrument listed here is designed to be shaken in
order to produce a sound?
C - Maracas.

For $4000: What is a budgie?
A. Love seat B. Scooter C. Rodent D. Bird

She doesn't know whether to go 50/50 or to just risk half the money. In her
deliberation, she blurts out, "C and D don't make any sense. They just seem
wrong."

She thinks it's A, but Regis kind of hints at her to go 50/50. So she does.

B. Scooter D. Bird

"Bird doesn't make sense! I studied biology in college, and I just can't think
of a bird that can be shortened to that kind of name. It just seems like a
'50s, trendy kind of a word."

Regis kinda talks a little more, then she says, "I'll go with the bird. I
changed my mind."

Regis: "I can't tell you if it's a bird. I can't tell you if it's a scooter
either. You know why? I don't know either." (laughter)

D - Bird. Final answer.

Well, she chose one of them at last.

She decided not to Phone a Friend.

She had $2000.

She doesn't have $2000 anymore.

She has $4000!

For $8000: What is the name of Xena's female sidekick on the TV series, "Xena:
Warrior Princess"?
A. Gabrielle B. Callisto C. Iolaus D. Lucy

We might go through this all over again...

But let's Phone-a-Friend. It's Heather. She watches a lot of TV.
Heather immediately says "Gabrielle" without even Kati reading the choices.

A - Gabrielle.

That's the final answer...

... and it's the right answer!

For $16,000: The Great Victoria Desert (she's nodding her head, Regis giggles)
is located in the southern part of what country?
A. Egypt B. Australia C. Lebanon D. India

She knows it's not A or C, and she doesn't think it's D.
B makes the most sense.

So, she's going to risk $7000 on B - Australia.

That answer is...

... the RIGHT ANSWER!

One more to lock in $32,000! Question:
What John Travolta film was adapted from a published novel by Scientology
founder L. Ron Hubbard?
She knows this. C - Battlefield Earth.

Yep! She has THIRTY-TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!

Regis (grumbling): "Stupid budgie question..."

For $64,000:
Which letter is used more often than any other letter in the written English
language?

A. A
B. T
C. S
D. E

It's a free shot. She says D - E.

There it goes...

.... SWISH!

**AH-WHOOOOO!**

If you'd like to see Who Wants To Be a Millionaire? in person, and you're
going to be in the New York City area, call this number... 212/735-5369.

If you want some practice being on the show, play online at abc.go.com, or
play the computer game, or get the quiz book! And now, you can play the board
game, too!

WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE? was created by David Briggs with Michael
Whitehill and Steve Knight for Celador Productions, and is produced in the
United States by Valleycrest Productions for Buena Vista Television.

MILLIONAIRE?: Copyright 2000
Valleycrest Productions and Buena Vista Television.
This Update is Copyright 2000 Jeremy Soria.
All Rights Reserved.

All game material contained herein remains the property of Valleycrest and
BVTV. Opinions expressed in this update are solely those of the compiler.

From Virginia Beach - Good night everybody!

- Jeremy "TV network programmers. Who needs 'em?" - TiVo.com

Going high speed on July 28 - DSL: Join the Revolution!
--
New e-mail address | "You treat me like a dog and you expect me to | AUSTIN
and rebuilt webpage | smile? You remind me of a JACKASS~!" - SCSA | 3:16

Andre, Kerry, Eddie, Flyin' Brian, Gorilla Monsoon, Owen Hart ... Sigh ...

Chris B.

未讀,
2000年7月28日 凌晨3:00:002000/7/28
收件者:
Just some comments...

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 02:10:03 GMT,
jesoria75RE...@mindspring.com (Steve Jeremiah Williams-Soria
(Jeremy Soria)) wrote:

>Speaking of free shots, for $64,000:
>What NBA team did Dick Vitale coach?
>A. NY Knicks B. Cleveland Cavs C. NJ Nets D. Detroit Pistons
>
>He has a feeling about D - Detroit... then he sees New Jersey Nets.
>
>He'll go with his feeling, D.
>
>It's a free shot....

>.... SWISH!

I can't believe that I had no idea about this question, even though I
could flat out eliminate the Cavs (I know their history reasonably
well-their my hometown team). I'm shocked, since I'm an NBA junkie,
and didn't know it. That, and I never knew Vitale actually coached an
NBA team.

>For $250,000:
>What is the title of the piece of music traditionally played to salute the
>Vice President of the United States?
>A. Hail to the Chief B. Hail to the Victors
>C. Hail, Columbia D. The General's March
>
>He doesn't know. Comforting him, Regis says, "It'd be a bit easier if one of
>the choices was 'You Can Call Me Al'..."
>
>He takes the money, but not before he says his initial feeling of the right
>answer, C...
>
>.... and he would have been a 13 Clubber.
>
>But he still has $125,000!

Mental note for potential contestants: I've noticed that WWTBAM
writers seem to love presidential trivia. I would suggest looking
over government sites for any tidbits, like this. Also, I would
suggest looking over state trivia, specifically how many electoral
votes each state has. Have a feeling that it might come in handy.

>For $16,000:
>In the 1992 film "Scent of a Woman," Al Pacino gives a young woman a lesson in
>what kind of dance?
>B - Tango.

One dance I hope to learn someday. (Not to mention, one hell of a
scene.)

>For $64,000:
>In early 2000, a mall was opened in the United Arab Emirates which has what
>unusual feature?
>A. No men B. No women C. No children D. No lights
>
>"... or E. No idea."
>
>Let's ATA: 13-49-19-28
>
>B - No women. He's risking his remaining LifeLines...

>.... You know, it IS unbelieveable that they'd build a mall that didn't allow
>women. You know why?
>
>.... because this mall indeed ....

>.... doesn't allow MEN! (whoops!)
>
>But he still has $32,000!

That was a tough question...could've been any one of them...

>For $4000: What is a budgie?
>A. Love seat B. Scooter C. Rodent D. Bird
>
>She doesn't know whether to go 50/50 or to just risk half the money. In her
>deliberation, she blurts out, "C and D don't make any sense. They just seem
>wrong."
>
>She thinks it's A, but Regis kind of hints at her to go 50/50. So she does.
>
>B. Scooter D. Bird
>
>"Bird doesn't make sense! I studied biology in college, and I just can't think
>of a bird that can be shortened to that kind of name. It just seems like a
>'50s, trendy kind of a word."
>
>Regis kinda talks a little more, then she says, "I'll go with the bird. I
>changed my mind."
>
>Regis: "I can't tell you if it's a bird. I can't tell you if it's a scooter
>either. You know why? I don't know either." (laughter)
>
>D - Bird. Final answer.
>
>Well, she chose one of them at last.
>
>She decided not to Phone a Friend.
>
>She had $2000.
>
>She doesn't have $2000 anymore.
>
>She has $4000!

To me, this was a weird question for this level. I honestly had no
clue.

>For $8000: What is the name of Xena's female sidekick on the TV series, "Xena:
>Warrior Princess"?
>A. Gabrielle B. Callisto C. Iolaus D. Lucy
>
>We might go through this all over again...
>
>But let's Phone-a-Friend. It's Heather. She watches a lot of TV.
>Heather immediately says "Gabrielle" without even Kati reading the choices.
>
>A - Gabrielle.
>
>That's the final answer...
>
>... and it's the right answer!

Another lucky son (or should I say daughter) of a gun (referring back
to the guy who asked about alopecia).

>Regis (grumbling): "Stupid budgie question..."

My thoughts exactly...

>For $64,000:
>Which letter is used more often than any other letter in the written English
>language?
>
>A. A
>B. T
>C. S
>D. E
>
>It's a free shot. She says D - E.
>
>There it goes...

>.... SWISH!

If you've ever heard of an alphabet frequency table, or better yet saw
one, this was easy. (God bless Square One TV for that tidbit...)

CB2000

Robert Hutchinson

未讀,
2000年7月28日 凌晨3:00:002000/7/28
收件者:
"Steve Jeremiah Williams-Soria (Jeremy Soria)" wrote:

> For $4000: What is a budgie?
> A. Love seat B. Scooter C. Rodent D. Bird

<snip>

> One more to lock in $32,000! Question:
> What John Travolta film was adapted from a published novel by Scientology
> founder L. Ron Hubbard?
> She knows this. C - Battlefield Earth.

Was I the only person wondering if the software confused these two? I mean,
I knew what a budgie was, but only because I saw the answer in a screenshot of
a review of a game in a magazine ... what a reference. (Five years ago, no less.)

But "budgie" would fit as a $32K question (ah, fond memories of creels), and
a current blockbuster (horrible) movie would fit at $4K, as it did have a
pseudo-literary angle.

Robert Hutchinson

Phoebe9294

未讀,
2000年7月29日 凌晨3:00:002000/7/29
收件者:
>FFF: Fashion models, birth, MOST RECENT first.
>A. Christie Brinkley B. Kathy Ireland
>C. Lauren Hutton D. Tyra Banks

I had this on a phone qualifying question, also most recent first. Banks was
the baby of that lot, but two of the others were Cheryl Tiegs and Carole Alt
and I think Twiggy might have been the fourth.

"Is it considered dangerous to handle when loaded?"
-- Joan Alexander quizzing A. Sailor on "The Name's the Same" (1953)

Peca Fan

未讀,
2000年7月29日 凌晨3:00:002000/7/29
收件者:
On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 15:48:37 -0400, Robert Hutchinson
<ser...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>But "budgie" would fit as a $32K question (ah, fond memories of creels), and
>a current blockbuster (horrible) movie would fit at $4K, as it did have a
>pseudo-literary angle.

Seriously? I would call the budgie question a $100 question. Perhaps
it's a cultural difference between here and the US, but to me, this
question was akin to asking:

For $4000: What is a golden retriever?
A. Love seat B. Scooter C. Rodent D. Dog

--
Peca Fan
"It's a cold cold cold cold cold cold cold cold post post modern world

Jeremy Rogers

未讀,
2000年7月29日 凌晨3:00:002000/7/29
收件者:
Robert Hutchinson <ser...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Was I the only person wondering if the software confused these two? I mean,
> I knew what a budgie was, but only because I saw the answer in a screenshot of
> a review of a game in a magazine ... what a reference. (Five years ago, no less.)

> But "budgie" would fit as a $32K question

Whereas in the UK it would not look out of place as a 100 pound question.

Jez
--

Peca Fan wrote:

> Robert Hutchinson wrote:
>
> >But "budgie" would fit as a $32K question (ah, fond memories of creels), and
> >a current blockbuster (horrible) movie would fit at $4K, as it did have a
> >pseudo-literary angle.
>
> Seriously? I would call the budgie question a $100 question. Perhaps
> it's a cultural difference between here and the US, but to me, this
> question was akin to asking:
>
> For $4000: What is a golden retriever?
> A. Love seat B. Scooter C. Rodent D. Dog

Well, either it is a cultural difference, or I'm just wrong on the difficulty
... would someone on this side of the pond (or border; I can't tell where you're
posting from) say something? :)

Robert Hutchinson

MSTieScott

未讀,
2000年7月29日 凌晨3:00:002000/7/29
收件者:
>>For $64,000:
>>Which letter is used more often than any other letter in the
written English
>>language?
>>
>>A. A
>>B. T
>>C. S
>>D. E
>>
>>It's a free shot. She says D - E.
>>
>>There it goes...

>>.... SWISH!
>
>If you've ever heard of an alphabet frequency table, or better
yet saw
>one, this was easy.

Or watched Wheel of Fortune.

Scott Robinson
To respond, please remove "NOmsSPAM" and ".invalid"

Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

MSTieScott

未讀,
2000年7月29日 凌晨3:00:002000/7/29
收件者:
>> For $4000: What is a budgie?
>> A. Love seat B. Scooter C. Rodent D. Bird
>
>I knew what a budgie was, but only because I saw the answer in
a screenshot of
>a review of a game in a magazine ... what a reference. (Five
years ago, no less.)

The original You Don't Know Jack, right? It's in the demo.

MSTieScott wrote:

> >> For $4000: What is a budgie?
> >> A. Love seat B. Scooter C. Rodent D. Bird
> >
> >I knew what a budgie was, but only because I saw the answer in
> >a screenshot of a review of a game in a magazine ... what a reference.
> >(Five years ago, no less.)
>
> The original You Don't Know Jack, right? It's in the demo.

I was pretty sure it was a review of YDKJ, but the sentence was getting
cluttered. :)

Robert Hutchinson

John Sergent

未讀,
2000年7月30日 凌晨3:00:002000/7/30
收件者:
Peca Fan wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 15:48:37 -0400, Robert Hutchinson
> <ser...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >But "budgie" would fit as a $32K question (ah, fond memories of creels), and
> >a current blockbuster (horrible) movie would fit at $4K, as it did have a
> >pseudo-literary angle.
>
> Seriously? I would call the budgie question a $100 question. Perhaps
> it's a cultural difference between here and the US, but to me, this
> question was akin to asking:
>
> For $4000: What is a golden retriever?
> A. Love seat B. Scooter C. Rodent D. Dog

I've never heard of a budgie. What kind of bird is it?
--
"Just because the cat has kittens in the oven doesn't make them biscuits"

Steve Jeremiah Williams-Soria (Jeremy Soria)

未讀,
2000年7月30日 凌晨3:00:002000/7/30
收件者:
So, John Sergent.... is that your final answer?

>Peca Fan wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 15:48:37 -0400, Robert Hutchinson
>> <ser...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >But "budgie" would fit as a $32K question (ah, fond memories of creels), and
>> >a current blockbuster (horrible) movie would fit at $4K, as it did have a
>> >pseudo-literary angle.
>>
>> Seriously? I would call the budgie question a $100 question. Perhaps
>> it's a cultural difference between here and the US, but to me, this
>> question was akin to asking:
>>
>> For $4000: What is a golden retriever?
>> A. Love seat B. Scooter C. Rodent D. Dog
>>
>I've never heard of a budgie. What kind of bird is it?

Good Lord, I never knew there were so many people that didn't know what a
budgie is. I think it kind of helps if you have a mother who once kept budgies
as pets.

The budgie, short for budgerigar, is a popular house cage bird in the parakeet
family. Budgies are also called shell parakeets, or mistakenly, lovebirds.

- Jeremy "TV network programmers. Who needs 'em?" - TiVo.com

DSL ... Join the Revolution ... Experience the Difference!

--
New e-mail address | "You treat me like a dog and you expect me to | AUSTIN
and rebuilt webpage | smile? You remind me of a JACKASS~!" - SCSA | 3:16
coming soon... |--------------------------------------------------------
--------------------' "Inhibitions? Leave 'em in the car. Go Baby Go!" - NTRA

Buddy, Andre, Kerry, Eddie, Flyin' Brian, Owen Hart, Gordon Solie ... Sigh ...

John Sergent

未讀,
2000年7月30日 凌晨3:00:002000/7/30
收件者:
"Steve Jeremiah Williams-Soria (Jeremy Soria)" wrote:

> So, John Sergent.... is that your final answer?
>
> >I've never heard of a budgie. What kind of bird is it?
>
> Good Lord, I never knew there were so many people that didn't know what a
> budgie is. I think it kind of helps if you have a mother who once kept budgies
> as pets.
>
> The budgie, short for budgerigar, is a popular house cage bird in the parakeet
> family. Budgies are also called shell parakeets, or mistakenly, lovebirds.

Thanks!

Leszek Pawlowicz

未讀,
2000年7月30日 凌晨3:00:002000/7/30
收件者:

Any hardcore Monty Python could tell you; they had a sketch about "How
To Put Down Your Budgie".

Budgie is short for budgerigar.

John Sergent

未讀,