UK Millionaire Monday 08 January 2001

xi...@my-deja.com

Jan 12, 2001, 4:56:38 AM1/12/01
Last time, on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?

The last of the special editions of WWTBAM for couples.
Some more couples bailing out safely but well before the 15 club ...
their current marital statuses unknown.

Before anyone brings up any UK Millionaire summary queries, please bear
in mind that
(a) I'm NOT Iain Weaver. I'm totally new to this, trying to carry the
torch apres Iain's excellent summaries;
(b) Any 'couples' shows missing from here have been taped, but will
just have to wait before they reach the www; and
(c) If anyone else wants to share in doing this job for 1 (or more) of
the UK "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" shows per week ... their offer
help will be gratefully accepted!

Tonight sees the return of the normal single player version of
Millionaire - the best format IMHO.

10 brand new solo contestants, 3 female, 1 ethnic minority (male).

FFF: Starting with the southernmost, put these cities in the order they
are situated along the M6.
(A) Preston (B) Carlisle
(C) Birmingham (D) Stoke-on-Trent

(horizontal spoiler space before you see the answer): C-D-A-B

7 of 10 contestants get it right ... fastest Richard Godefroy in 7.48
secs. From Surrey, a Sergeant in the C.I.D. (a UK police department).
He rates going on Millionaire as more scary than testifying at The Old
Bailey (note: The Old Bailey are famous law courts in London).

£100 - Which boy band's original line-up was Gary, Howard, Jason, Mark
and Robbie?
(A) That's That (B) How's That?
(C) Take That (D) Just Like That

(horizontal spoiler space before you see the answer): C

£200 - Which of these refers to a haughty or pretentious woman?
(A) Duchess Dirt (B) Princess Filth
(C) Lady Muck (D) Madam Manure

(horizontal spoiler space before you see the answer): C

£300 - What are you said to pass when you give responsibility to
someone else?
(A) The dime (B) The nickel
(C) The dollar (D) The buck

(horizontal spoiler space before you see the answer): D

£500 - What name is given to concrete strengthened with metal?
(A) Reinstated concrete (B) Reinsured concrete
(C) Reinforced concrete (D) Reinvented concrete

(horizontal spoiler space before you see the answer): C

£1,000 - Which of these words means a sporting event consisting of a
series of boat or yacht races?
(A) Regatta (B) Meet
(C) Joust (D) Matchplay

(horizontal spoiler space before you see the answer): A

£2,000 - What was the first name of the Soviet politician Stalin?
(A) Nikita (B) Joseph
(C) Mikhail (D) Leonid

(horizontal spoiler space before you see the answer): B

Other forenames are for Messrs Khrushchev, Gorbachov and Brezhnev.

£4,000 - How many wheels were there on a hansom cab?
(A) One (B) Two
(C) Three (D) Four

The first question where Richard, our C.I.D. man needs lifelines ....
ATA first. (There is spoiler space below so that those of you playing
along to your own guesses don't unwantedly glance at the results of the
contestant's use of this lifeline before chosing your own answer).

Spoiler space Spoiler space Spoiler space
Spoiler space Spoiler space Spoiler space
Spoiler space Spoiler space Spoiler space
ATA: (A) 3% (B) 72% (C) 15% (D) 10%
Spoiler space Spoiler space Spoiler space
Spoiler space Spoiler space Spoiler space
Spoiler space Spoiler space Spoiler space

Normally this percentage should be a good enough to let you put your
trust in the audience. But Chris wonders whether the audience might
have deliberately gone for a wrong answer because they dislike
policemen. The sarge decides to trust them anyway ....

(horizontal spoiler space before you see the answer): B

To the quiet relief of our contestant.

£8,000 - In October 1999, who witnessed his daughter winning her first
professional boxing bout?
(A) Henry Cooper (B) Muhammed Ali
(C) George Foreman (D) Joe Frazier

Richard only knows of one of these boxers having a daughter who boxes.
Without total confidence, decides to go follow his hunch.

(horizontal spoiler space before you see the answer): B

A knockout win in 31 secs for the boxer's daughter Leila(h?) - similar
to the amount of time between the end of the question being read out
and Richard knowing he had reached £8K.

(ad break)

£16,000 - What type of animal is an appaloosa?
(A) Cat (B) Dog
(C) Sheep (D) Horse

An immediate answer from Richard ... his wife used to have an appaloosa!

(horizontal spoiler space before you see the answer): D

£32,000 - The Pilgrim Fathers are believed to have landed on which spot
in America in 1620?
(A) Torquay Rock (B) Plymouth Rock
(C) Falmouth Rock (D) Newquay Rock

Weak alternative answers with partly similar names on a question as
late as this? A gift to be gratefully accepted.

Once again Richard finds that his luck is in. Despite living over a
hundred miles away in Surrey, he comes originally from the town in
England where the Pilgrim Fathers departed from. And if this question
wasn't going to be easy enough for Richard already ... the American
landing spot of The Pilgrim Fathers was actually NAMED AFTER their
place of departure from England - which is of course Richard's home
town! He answers the question with an incredulous grin on his face.

(horizontal spoiler space before you see the answer): B

£64,000 - The tarantella is a dance originating in which country?
(A) Spain (B) Greece
(C) France (D) Italy

Lifelines time ... Richard looks to be struggling here. 50-50 first
anyone playing along at home who wants to save their 50-50 lifeline
till later should skip a few lines till past the "Spoiler space" below.

Spoiler space Spoiler space
Spoiler space Spoiler space
Spoiler space Spoiler space
Spoiler space Spoiler space
50-50: (B) Greece (D) Italy
Spoiler space Spoiler space
Spoiler space Spoiler space
Spoiler space Spoiler space
Spoiler space Spoiler space

Richard's original best guess has just disappeared! PAF time, a lady
named Cher (no, not THAT one).

PAF: Richard reads out the question and the 2 remaining answers. Cher
gives her answer within seconds ... and sounds totally confident.
Richard plays the question with her answer.

Chris: "How long have you known Cher?"
Richard: "I've never met her before - she is my boss's wife!"

(horizontal spoiler space before you see the answer): D

Lifelines all gone now.

£125,000 - Who directed the film musical 'My Fair Lady'?
(A) Billy Wilder (B) George Cukor
(C) Robert Wise (D) George Stevens

Richard hasn't got a clue. Decides to cut and run.

(horizontal spoiler space before you see the answer): B

Sergeant in the C.I.D. Richard Godefroy from Surrey leaves with £64,000.
9 contestants remain for FFF.

FFF: Starting with the most, put these games in order of how many
squares are used in a standard game.
(A) Snakes and ladders (B) Chess
(C) Noughts and crosses (D) Scrabble

(horizontal spoiler space before the answer): D(225)-A(100)-B(64)-C(9)

Only 1 contestant gets this right ... Greg Carter in 14.89 secs.
From Hampshire. Works as a Broadcast Engineer ... not for ITV but for
a rival TV company (Chris mouths the name silently - "the BBC"?).

£100 - Which term refers to a person who takes little exercise and
watches a lot of television?
(A) Settee carrot (B) Couch potato
(C) Sofa Courgette (D) Futon parsnip

(horizontal spoiler space before you see the answer): B

£200 - Which of these animals are kept as domestic pets?
(A) Penny rabbits (B) Pound hamsters
(C) Guinea Pigs (D) Euro rats

(horizontal spoiler space before you see the answer): C

£300 - The abbreviation 'TLC' stands for 'Tender Loving... ' what?
(A) Character (B) Consideration
(C) Care (D) Consolation

(horizontal spoiler space before you see the answer): C

£500 - Which of these words refers to a radio station broadcasting
illegally?
(A) Outlaw (B) Fraudster
(C) Mugger (D) Pirate

(horizontal spoiler space before you see the answer): D

£1,000 - What are the first names of the comedy duo French and Saunders?
(A) Mel and Sue (B) Patsy and Edina
(C) Victoria and Julie (D) Dawn and Jennifer

(horizontal spoiler space before you see the answer): D

Time expires! Only a half hour show today.
Greg Carter has safely reached £1,000, all lifelines intact.

Future line-up on contestant row ... 6 blokes, 4 women.
The following UK Millionaire show was shown Thursday 11th on ITV (DTF).
The next UK Millionaire show is on Saturday 13th Jan at 20:10 on ITV.

Money given out so far in this series (excluding couples shows):
£64K - 1

UK "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?": summary by XI52.

Format is based partly upon formulas developed by ... er, I'll copy
their names across on another day - if I still have enough strength
left to attempt doing this for another show. Anyone wanting all the
other credits - search for previous messages containing "iain weaver"
AND "millionaire" (not case sensitive).

Some of what I've done may not have worked out for layout because I
didn't know how to stick properly to any previous standard layout(s)
for WWTBAM? summaries. That's showbiz. But if I can, I'd like to try
to copyright my idea of

"horizontal spoiler space" (before you see the answer)

Copyright January 9th 2001 by XI...@my-deja.com
... and then maybe I'LL get to be a millionaire?? :)

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Brett A. Pasternack

Jan 12, 2001, 11:49:18 PM1/12/01
With all due apologies to Dean...

xi...@my-deja.com wrote:

> £100 - Which boy band's original line-up was Gary, Howard, Jason, Mark
> and Robbie?
> (A) That's That (B) How's That?
> (C) Take That (D) Just Like That
>
> (horizontal spoiler space before you see the answer): C

. o 0 (Take That had one major hit in America, "Back For Good".)
. o 0 (Robbie Williams in the only member to have any solo success
here.)

> £300 - What are you said to pass when you give responsibility to
> someone else?
> (A) The dime (B) The nickel
> (C) The dollar (D) The buck
>
> (horizontal spoiler space before you see the answer): D

. o 0 (Sign on President Harry Truman's desk: "The Buck Stops Here".)

> £8,000 - In October 1999, who witnessed his daughter winning her first
> professional boxing bout?
> (A) Henry Cooper (B) Muhammed Ali
> (C) George Foreman (D) Joe Frazier
>
> Richard only knows of one of these boxers having a daughter who boxes.
> Without total confidence, decides to go follow his hunch.
>
> (horizontal spoiler space before you see the answer): B
>
> A knockout win in 31 secs for the boxer's daughter Leila(h?) - similar
> to the amount of time between the end of the question being read out
> and Richard knowing he had reached £8K.

. o 0 (Joe Frazier's daughter has since challenged Laila Ali to a
fight.)

> £16,000 - What type of animal is an appaloosa?
> (A) Cat (B) Dog
> (C) Sheep (D) Horse
>
> An immediate answer from Richard ... his wife used to have an appaloosa!

. o 0 (So did Paul McCartney's wife.)

> £32,000 - The Pilgrim Fathers are believed to have landed on which spot
> in America in 1620?
> (A) Torquay Rock (B) Plymouth Rock
> (C) Falmouth Rock (D) Newquay Rock
>
> Weak alternative answers with partly similar names on a question as
> late as this? A gift to be gratefully accepted.

. o 0 (No one in America even knows how to *pronounce* "Torquay"...)
. o 0 (...unless they watch "Fawlty Towers".)

> £125,000 - Who directed the film musical 'My Fair Lady'?
> (A) Billy Wilder (B) George Cukor
> (C) Robert Wise (D) George Stevens

. o 0 (The film version of "My Fair Lady" starred Audrey Hepburn...)
. o 0 (Much to the chagrin of Julie Andrews, who starred in the stage
version.)

> Richard hasn't got a clue. Decides to cut and run.

. o 0 (The film's producers didn't have a clue...)
. o 0 (...Andrews went on to become a major film star.)

> FFF: Starting with the most, put these games in order of how many
> squares are used in a standard game.
> (A) Snakes and ladders (B) Chess

. o 0 (Americans know "Snakes and Ladders" as "Chutes and Ladders".)
. o 0 (The British band Direct Hits and the Canadian singer Join
Mitchell have both written songs called "Snakes and Ladders".

> (C) Noughts and crosses (D) Scrabble

. o 0 (Americans know "Noughts and crosses" as "Tic Tac Toe".)
. o 0 (American game show fans know it as part of "Tic Tac Dough" and
"Hollywood Squares".)