DL Millionaire 4/29

Dave Legler

May 9, 2001, 12:36:18 PM5/9/01
Adam Edgell is the returning contestant. He is a college student from
University, MS. Adam correctly answered the $250K question last time. He has
no lifelines remaining.

$500K Who wrote Spiro Agnew's 1970 speech in which he called the press
"nattering nabobs of negatavism"?

a. John McLaughlin
b. William Safire
c. George Will
d. Pat Buchanan

Adam has an idea but doesn't want to risk it. He walks with $250K. He thought
it was b...

and b would have been worth an additional $250K.

FASTEST FINGER: Put these major North American cities in geographical order;
starting in the north:

a. Oakland
b. Miami
c. Winnepeg
d. Anchorage

DCAB

Bob Combs with a time of 3.45 secs is the fastest of nine. Bob is a newsletter
editor from Bethesda, MD. His mother-in-law is in the relationship seat.

$100 What words complete a phrase associated with glass bottles that begins "no
deposit"?

a. No reservations
b. No way out
c. No return
d. Get out of my store!

c is correct

$200 Which of the following is a name for both an explosive and a cable
network?

a. Bravo
b. TNT
c. MTV
d. The History Channel

b is correct

$300 In the fairy tale "Little Red Riding Hood" what animal is the villain?

a. Wolf
b. Bear
c. Snake
d. Dr. Evil

a is correct

$500 By definition, a "buoy" does what in water?

a. Floats
b. Sinks
c. Expands
d. Dissolves

a is correct

$1K Which of the following cartoon characters speaks with a lisp?

a. Yogi Bear
b. Bugs Bunny
c. Sylvester the Cat
d. Pepe Le Pew

His answer of c guarantees him $1000.

$2K The coating, or patina, that copper develops as it ages is what color?

a. Red
b. Tan
c. Purple
d. Green

He goes with d, which is correct.

$4K In the Eagles 1972 song "Take It Easy" how many women are on the singer's
mind?

a. Seven
b. Two
c. Four
d. Ten

He works it out. Since there are 2 that want to own him, 2 that want stone
him, and one says she's a friend of mine. So he goes with a, and is correct.

$8K Which of these is a byproduct of cane sugar processing?

a. Canola oil
b. Molasses
c. Baking soda
d. Maple syrup

Bob decides to ATA.

A-7% B-75% C-10% D-8%

He goes with the audience, and they are correct.

$16K What First Lady wrote the 1990 bestseller "Millie's Book"?

a. Nancy Reagan
b. Betty Ford
c. Hillary Rodham Clinton
D. Barbara Bush

He goes with D. And Millie was the Bush's dog, so he's correct.

$32K The Civil War battles of Bull Run are also known by what other name?

a. Manassas
b. Cold Harbor
c. Antietam
d. Shiloh

Its not far from his home. His answer a guarantees him $32K.

$64K The host of the cable TV series "The Naked Chef" is from what country?

a. Germany
b. France
c. England
d. Italy

He just got the Food Network. He doesn't watch the show, but thinks he knows
it. He goes with c...

YES!

$125K By definition, where would you most likely find an epicanthic fold?

a. Earth's crust
b. Human face
c. Tree bark
d. Book binding

He decides to PAF. He calls his wife. She looks it up and says it is on the
eyelids. Bob goes with b, and his wife was correct.

$250K In which state would you find the northernmost border in the contiguous
United States?

a. Minnesota
b. Maine
c. Washington
d. Wisconsin

Bob says he's seen two conflicting sources on this, one saying a and one b.
Thinks the 50/50 will leave those two. He decides to go for it and answer a...

SWISH!

$500K First published in 1771, the Messier Catalog includes listings of which
of the following:

a. Musical instruments
b. Renaissance paintings
c. Rare plants
d. Star clusters

He decides to use his 50/50 which removes answers b and c. He says he has no
idea, so he'll walk. His guess was d...

which would have been worth $500K

FASTEST FINGER: Put these singers in order by their year of birth; starting
with the most recent:

a. George Michael
b. Paul McCartney
c. David Cassidy
d. Enrique Iglesias

DACB

Jessica Schreader is the fastest of 5 with a time of 4.98 secs. Jessica is an
Arrangements Coordinator from Delran, NJ. Her husband is in the relationship
seat.

$100 Buying and selling a stock during the same trading session is commonly
called what?

a. Hyper trading
b. Fickle trading
c. Day trading
d. Going bust

c is correct

$200 The center of a pipe cleaner is made of what?

a. Wire
b. Wood
c. Metal chain
d. Marshmallow

a is correct

$300 Which of the following household objects commonly has "teeth"?

a. Washcloth
b. Saw
c. Pillow
d. Meat loaf

b is correct

$500 A squall line best describes what?

a. Backed up traffic
b. Broken computer screen
c. Dance routine
d. Weather occurrence

d is correct

$1K A long-running ad slogan says that "choosy mem's choose" what?

a. Heinz
b. Jif
c. Kellogg's
d. Kraft

Her answer of b guarantees her $1K.

$2K Which of the following is an ancient Egyptian writing system made up of
pictures and symbols?

a. Calligraphy
b. Graffiti
c. Hieroglyphics
d. Cursive

c is her answer, which is correct.

$4K In what TV series does Sgt. Joe Friday ask for "just the facts, Ma'am"?

a. Dragnet
b. Hawaii Five-O
c. Magnum P.I.
d. Adam-12

She knows its a, and she's right.

$8K What Salman Rushdie book incited the Ayatollah Khomeini to call for the
author's death?

a. The Jaguar Smile
b. Shame
c. Midnight's Children
d. The Satanic Verses

One of her favorite books. She goes with d, and she's right.

$16K What major US city is located nearest the spot where the Mississippi and
Missouri rivers meet?

a. Memphis, TN
b. St. Louis, MO
c. Little Rock, AR
d. Des Moines, IA

She says she's terrible with geography. She decides to ATA.

A-16% B-70% C-10% D-4%

That was her inkling. She goes with b, and the audience was right.

$32K What movie features a teacher whose favorite piece of advice is "Carpe
diem"?

a. Dead Poets Society
b. Clueless
c. Good Will Hunting
d. Fame

She says you really do doubt yourself in the hotseat but she goes with a...

and that guarantees her $32K.

$64K Which of the following was at the center of the Teapot Dome scandal of the
1920's?

a. Gold mine
b. Oil Reserves
c. Tea imports
d. Water Rights

She thinks she knows but she wants to use her 50/50, which removes answers a
and c. She decides to call her uncle. He's 80% sure its b. She goes with
b...

and her uncle was right.

$125K What process was once thought to capture on film the "aura" of a person
or object?

a. Daguerreotypy
b. Spectroscopy
c. Kirlian photography
d. Telephotography

She thinks she knows but is afraid to guess. So she walks with $64K. Her
guess was b...

and that guess would have cost her $32K. c was correct.

FASTEST FINGER: Put these writers in order of their birth; starting with the
earliest:

a. Mark Twain
b. Susan Sontag
c. John Milton
d. John Grisham

CABD

Michele Delfriore is the fastest of 5 with a time of 4.27 secs. Michele is
from Kingston, NY. She is a full time mom. She's seen a UFO.

$100 Blowing through a straw into a glass of milk usually causes what?

a. Flames
b. Bubbles
c. Sub-zero temperatures
d. Solar eclipse

b is correct.

$200 An ax is typically used to chop what?

a. Stone
b. Metal
c. Wood
d. Interest rates

c is correct.

$300 Which of these household items is most likely to be cordless?

a. Television
b. Microwave oven
c. Telephone
d. Extension cord

c is correct.

$500 In the phrase "women's lib", "lib" is short for what?

a. Libretto
b. Libations
c. Library
d. Liberation

d is correct.

$1K Paranasal sinuses are hollow spaces in the bones of what body part?

a. Head
b. Spine
c. Hip
d. Legs

Her answer of a guaratees her $1K.

$2K In the Bible, what kind of bird brings an olive branch to Noah's ark?

a. Pelican
b. Dove
c. Albatross
d. Penguin

She goes with b, the correct answer.

$4K At the 2001 Grammy Awards, what entertainer performed a duet with rapper
Eminem?

a. Phil Collins
b. Billy Joel
c. Elton John
d. Sting

She goes with c, the correct answer.

$8K A pig is traditionally used to find which of the following foods?

a. Truffles
b. Peanuts
c. Carrots
d. Rutabagas

She goes with a, which is correct.

$16K In the 1630's Holland's economy collapsed after a crash of a speculative
market in what?

a. Silk
b. Cheese
c. Herring
d. Tulips

She decides to PAF. She calls her friend, Harry. He says its not a or b. He
says he would go with tulips. She uses her 50/50, which removes a and b. She
decides to go with d...

and Harry was right.

AWHOOO!

Michele will be back on Tuesday's show.

Brett A. Pasternack

May 9, 2001, 5:46:17 PM5/9/01
. o O ( Episode 261 )
. o O ( Airdate: 4/29/01 )

Dave Legler wrote:

> Adam Edgell is the returning contestant. He is a college student from
> University, MS. Adam correctly answered the $250K question last time. He has
> no lifelines remaining.

. o O ( Adam is the youngest contestant to ever reach this level. )

> $500K Who wrote Spiro Agnew's 1970 speech in which he called the press
> "nattering nabobs of negatavism"?
>
> a. John McLaughlin
> b. William Safire
> c. George Will
> d. Pat Buchanan
>
> Adam has an idea but doesn't want to risk it. He walks with $250K. He thought
> it was b...
>
> and b would have been worth an additional $250K.

. o O ( After his stint as a White House speechwriter, Safire went on to
the New York Times, where he writes a twice weekly "Essay" on politics,
and a weekly "On Language" column. )
. o O ( For years, Safire made a point of referring to a Soviet official
as "the handsome Gennadi Gerasimov"...
. o O ( ...A reference to the fact that the two looked alike. )

> FASTEST FINGER: Put these major North American cities in geographical order;
> starting in the north:
>
> a. Oakland
> b. Miami
> c. Winnepeg

. o O ( WWTBAM can't spell. The city is really spelled "Winnipeg". )

> d. Anchorage
>
> DCAB

. o O ( Alaska; Manitoba; California; Florida )

. o O ( The last cartoon to run in prime-time on ABC was the short-lived
Clerks, based on the film by Kevin Smith. )
. o O ( Not the same Kevin Smith who was in the Gang of Ten tonight. )

> $2K The coating, or patina, that copper develops as it ages is what color?
>
> a. Red
> b. Tan
> c. Purple
> d. Green
>
> He goes with d, which is correct.
>
> $4K In the Eagles 1972 song "Take It Easy" how many women are on the singer's
> mind?
>
> a. Seven
> b. Two
> c. Four
> d. Ten
>
> He works it out. Since there are 2 that want to own him, 2 that want stone
> him, and one says she's a friend of mine. So he goes with a, and is correct.

. o O ( Glenn Frey and Don Henley of the Eagles co-wrote the song with
Jackson Browne, who recorded his own version. )

. o O ( The Eagles version can be found on Their Greatest Hits
1971-1976, which is the biggest selling album of all time in the United
States. )

> $8K Which of these is a byproduct of cane sugar processing?
>
> a. Canola oil
> b. Molasses
> c. Baking soda
> d. Maple syrup
>
> Bob decides to ATA.
>
> A-7% B-75% C-10% D-8%
>
> He goes with the audience, and they are correct.
>
> $16K What First Lady wrote the 1990 bestseller "Millie's Book"?
>
> a. Nancy Reagan
> b. Betty Ford
> c. Hillary Rodham Clinton
> D. Barbara Bush
>
> He goes with D. And Millie was the Bush's dog, so he's correct.

. o O ( The book byline was actually credited to the dog, "As Told To"
Mrs. Bush. )

> $32K The Civil War battles of Bull Run are also known by what other name?
>
> a. Manassas
> b. Cold Harbor
> c. Antietam
> d. Shiloh
>
> Its not far from his home. His answer a guarantees him $32K.

. o O ( The answer was "A". The battles took place at Manassas Junction,
Virginia. )

. o O ( A re-enactment of the first battle is scheduled for August 3-5
in Leesburg, VA; see http://www.thehistorynet.com/firstmanassas/ for
details. )

> $64K The host of the cable TV series "The Naked Chef" is from what country?
>
> a. Germany
> b. France
> c. England
> d. Italy
>
> He just got the Food Network. He doesn't watch the show, but thinks he knows
> it. He goes with c...
>
> YES!
>
> $125K By definition, where would you most likely find an epicanthic fold?
>
> a. Earth's crust
> b. Human face
> c. Tree bark
> d. Book binding
>
> He decides to PAF. He calls his wife. She looks it up and says it is on the
> eyelids. Bob goes with b, and his wife was correct.

. o O ( Although he told her to look it up, she seemed to know it right
away. )

. o O ( Which wasn't surprising, as she is Asian and he is not; the
epithantic fold is what distinguishes her eyes from his. )

> $250K In which state would you find the northernmost border in the contiguous
> United States?
>
> a. Minnesota
> b. Maine
> c. Washington
> d. Wisconsin
>
> Bob says he's seen two conflicting sources on this, one saying a and one b.
> Thinks the 50/50 will leave those two. He decides to go for it and answer a...
>
> SWISH!

. o O ( Highest latitude in Minnesota: 49 degrees 23' 4" at Pennasse. )

. o O ( Many maps give the illusion of showing Maine at a higher
latitude because of the methods of projection used. )
. o O ( A map which accounts for this:
http://www.ce.utexas.edu/prof/maidment/CE397/project/us1.gif )

> $500K First published in 1771, the Messier Catalog includes listings of which
> of the following:
>
> a. Musical instruments
> b. Renaissance paintings
> c. Rare plants
> d. Star clusters
>
> He decides to use his 50/50 which removes answers b and c. He says he has no
> idea, so he'll walk. His guess was d...
>
> which would have been worth $500K

. o O ( Compiled by Chales Messier, the original catalog covered 45
clusters, numbered with an "M". )
. o O ( A 1783 supplement went up to M68, and his last version, in 1784,
went up to M103. )

> FASTEST FINGER: Put these singers in order by their year of birth; starting
> with the most recent:
>
> a. George Michael
> b. Paul McCartney

. o O ( A promo during the show highlighted McCartney's appearance on
"Good Morning America" during the week. )
. o O ( On May 11, "Millionaire" will air one hour early to accomodate a
two-hour special about McCartney entitled "Wingspan". )

> c. David Cassidy
> d. Enrique Iglesias

. o O ( Enrique's father, Julio Iglesias, and David's father, Jack
Cassidy, were both very successful singers as well. )
. o O ( Paul's father, Jim, played in dance bands and composed a song,
"Walking In The Park With Eloise", which his son recorded. )
. o O ( George's father owned a restaurant. )

> DACB

. o O ( 1975; 1963; 1950; 1941 )

> Jessica Schreader is the fastest of 5 with a time of 4.98 secs. Jessica is an
> Arrangements Coordinator from Delran, NJ. Her husband is in the relationship
> seat.
>
> $100 Buying and selling a stock during the same trading session is commonly
> called what?
>
> a. Hyper trading
> b. Fickle trading
> c. Day trading
> d. Going bust
>
> c is correct

. o O ( "The market's bottom is falling right out,
and only the strong are survivors" -
- Paul McCartney, "The Pound Is Sinking", 1982. )

> $200 The center of a pipe cleaner is made of what?
>
> a. Wire
> b. Wood
> c. Metal chain
> d. Marshmallow
>
> a is correct
>
> $300 Which of the following household objects commonly has "teeth"?
>
> a. Washcloth
> b. Saw
> c. Pillow
> d. Meat loaf
>
> b is correct

. o O ( McCartney wrote "I Saw Her Standing There" in 1962. )

> $500 A squall line best describes what?
>
> a. Backed up traffic
> b. Broken computer screen
> c. Dance routine
> d. Weather occurrence
>
> d is correct
>
> $1K A long-running ad slogan says that "choosy mem's choose" what?
>
> a. Heinz
> b. Jif
> c. Kellogg's
> d. Kraft
>
> Her answer of b guarantees her $1K.

. o O ( And choosy hackers choose .gif. )

> $2K Which of the following is an ancient Egyptian writing system made up of
> pictures and symbols?
>
> a. Calligraphy
> b. Graffiti
> c. Hieroglyphics
> d. Cursive
>
> c is her answer, which is correct.

. o O ( McCartney wrote "Spirits Of Ancient Egypt" in 1975. )

> $4K In what TV series does Sgt. Joe Friday ask for "just the facts, Ma'am"?

. o O ( Friday wore badge number 714. )

> a. Dragnet
> b. Hawaii Five-O
> c. Magnum P.I.
> d. Adam-12
>
> She knows its a, and she's right.
>
> $8K What Salman Rushdie book incited the Ayatollah Khomeini to call for the
> author's death?

. o O ( The call was an offical religious decree, known as a fatwa. )

> a. The Jaguar Smile
> b. Shame
> c. Midnight's Children
> d. The Satanic Verses
>
> One of her favorite books. She goes with d, and she's right.
>
> $16K What major US city is located nearest the spot where the Mississippi and
> Missouri rivers meet?
>
> a. Memphis, TN
> b. St. Louis, MO
> c. Little Rock, AR
> d. Des Moines, IA
>
> She says she's terrible with geography. She decides to ATA.
>
> A-16% B-70% C-10% D-4%
>
> That was her inkling. She goes with b, and the audience was right.
>
> $32K What movie features a teacher whose favorite piece of advice is "Carpe
> diem"?

. o O ( Latin for "seize the day". )

> a. Dead Poets Society
> b. Clueless
> c. Good Will Hunting
> d. Fame
>
> She says you really do doubt yourself in the hotseat but she goes with a...
>
> and that guarantees her $32K.

. o O ( John Keating, played by Robin Williams, who also starred in Good
Will Hunting. )

. o O ( Williams does an impression of Marlon Brando in The Godfather in
this film, although the film takes place over a decade before The
Godfather was made. )

> $64K Which of the following was at the center of the Teapot Dome scandal of the
> 1920's?
>
> a. Gold mine
> b. Oil Reserves
> c. Tea imports
> d. Water Rights
>
> She thinks she knows but she wants to use her 50/50, which removes answers a
> and c. She decides to call her uncle. He's 80% sure its b. She goes with
> b...
>
> and her uncle was right.

. o O ( The Teapot Dome land in Wyoming and another oil-rich area in Elk
Hills, California were secretly leased to private oil companies by
Albert Fall, the Secretary of the Interior under President Harding. Fall
was convicted of bribery. )

> $125K What process was once thought to capture on film the "aura" of a person
> or object?
>
> a. Daguerreotypy
> b. Spectroscopy
> c. Kirlian photography
> d. Telephotography
>
> She thinks she knows but is afraid to guess. So she walks with $64K. Her
> guess was b...

. o O ( Spectroscopy: Experimental observation of optical spectra. )
. o O ( Daguerreotypy: An early photographic process using a
light-sensitive metallic plate. )
. o O ( Telephotography: Long-distance photography using telephoto
lenses. )

> and that guess would have cost her $32K. c was correct.

. o O (

> FASTEST FINGER: Put these writers in order of their birth; starting with the
> earliest:
>
> a. Mark Twain

. o O ( Message about Twain on www.booksnbytes.com: "Please let us know
if you find a scheduled appearance by this author." )

. o O ( We'd all be very interested if you find one. )

> b. Susan Sontag
> c. John Milton
> d. John Grisham
>
> CABD

. o O ( 1608; 1835; 1933; 1955 )

> Michele Delfriore is the fastest of 5 with a time of 4.27 secs. Michele is
> from Kingston, NY. She is a full time mom. She's seen a UFO.
>

> $100 Blowing through a straw into a glass of milk usually causes what?
>
> a. Flames
> b. Bubbles
> c. Sub-zero temperatures
> d. Solar eclipse
>
> b is correct.
>
> $200 An ax is typically used to chop what?
>
> a. Stone
> b. Metal
> c. Wood
> d. Interest rates

. o O ( The Federal Reserve Board has cut interest rates by one-half of
one percent on four separate occasions this year. )

. o O ( Captured memorably by Pablo Picasso:
http://www.postershop.com/picasso/pic1701_e.htm )

> $4K At the 2001 Grammy Awards, what entertainer performed a duet with rapper
> Eminem?
>
> a. Phil Collins
> b. Billy Joel
> c. Elton John
> d. Sting
>
> She goes with c, the correct answer.

. o O ( They performed Eminem's hit "Stan", from The Marshall Mathers
LP, which won Best Rap Album. )
. o O ( The parts Elton John sang were sampled from "Thank You" by Dido
on the original recording. )

> $8K A pig is traditionally used to find which of the following foods?
>
> a. Truffles
> b. Peanuts
> c. Carrots
> d. Rutabagas
>
> She goes with a, which is correct.
>
> $16K In the 1630's Holland's economy collapsed after a crash of a speculative
> market in what?
>
> a. Silk
> b. Cheese
> c. Herring
> d. Tulips
>
> She decides to PAF. She calls her friend, Harry. He says its not a or b. He
> says he would go with tulips. She uses her 50/50, which removes a and b. She
> decides to go with d...
>
> and Harry was right.

. o O ( The rise of "Tulipomania" was partly due to the popularity of
tulips as a subject among the master painters of the era, which became
known as the Golden Age Of Dutch Painting. )
. o O ( For this reason, many referred to the tulips as "Rembrandt
tulips", after the most important of those painters--although Rembrandt
himself rarely painted tulips. )
. o O ( The Rembrandt tulips are now illegal, because their bright,
mixed colors turned out to be the result of a virus, although
look-a-like breeds exist. )

> AWHOOO!
>
> Michele will be back on Tuesday's show.

. o O ( Total winnings this episode: $564,000 )
. o O ( Total winnings to date: $56,451,000 )

. o O ( Meaning this episode accounts for almost precisely one percent
of all winnings to the date it aired. )

. o O ( "Pop-Up Video" is a trademark of VH-1, Viacom, and Spin the
Bottle Productions. )

. o O ( Adapted for atgs by Dean Scungio. )

. o O ( POP! )

CG

May 9, 2001, 6:33:56 PM5/9/01
Forget watching Millionaire, I can just keep reading these to find out what
happened.

Thanks Dave.

(I forget the name of the person doing this before/with Dave. Can anyone help,
this is the first time I decided to read one of these posts)

Chuck

Dave Legler

May 10, 2001, 12:28:10 PM5/10/01
In article <3AF9BA...@erols.com>, "Brett A. Pasternack"
<bret...@erols.com> writes:

>. o O ( For this reason, many referred to the tulips as "Rembrandt
>tulips", after the most important of those painters--although Rembrandt
>himself rarely painted tulips. )

I really don't think they were called "Rembrandt tulips" anytime near the 1637
collapse. Rembrandt was in his 30's at the time and he was not a renowned
painter during his lifetime. He was far from wealthy at the time of his death,
and was buried in an unmarked grave in the Westkirk (west church) in Amsterdam.

Brett A. Pasternack

May 11, 2001, 1:05:33 PM5/11/01

Vic Stevenson and Steven Sousza are the other regular Millionaire
recappers. Dean Scungio does the Pop-Ups along with myself, and he has
occasionally pinch-hit on the recaps as well.

Always looking for recappers if you'd like to try your hand at it...