jWs Millionaire for Friday, September 27, 2001

John Sergent

Sep 29, 2001, 3:14:02 AM9/29/01
The show opens with Regis Philbin calling New York the greatest
city in the world, and he thanks the audience for showing up. Ten
people, AND THEY ARE:

Brian Eyer, Longview, WA
Trish Kaminski, Denton, TX
Robyn Gearley, Alexandria, VA
Melissa Fruscione, Amherst, NY
Frank Cook, Portland, OR

Carlo Espinas, Washington, DC
Jackie Ballance, Cicero, IN
Andrew Shuster, Anaheim Hills, CA
Eddy McIntyre, Miami, FL
Cheryl Smith, Lauderdale, MS

He also calls this the new season. I guess it is, come to think
of it.

FASTEST FINGER I: Put these TV goofballs in the order of their
debut, starting with the earliest.
A) Cosmo Kramer B) Gomer Pyle
C) Jack McFarland (who?) D) Crissy Snow

B-D-A-C, Only two right, and at 5.58 (I think; picture's a bit
grainy today) Eddy McIntyre is the first player to the Hot Seat.

Eddy is an attorney and president of the board of a non-profit.
On to the game.

for $100: Which of the following is slang for an important
person?
A) Top Hat B) High Heel
C) Bigwig D) The Reege

Bigwig.

for $200: Which of these terms means "to restart a computer"?
A) Reboot B) Jump-start
C) Uplink D) Please work this time

Reboot.

for $300: Which of these timepieces uses a pendulum to keep time?
A) Wrist watch B) Grandfather clock
C) Hourglass D) Biological clock

Grandfather clock.

for $500: In what sport do players try to throw a "tight spiral"?
A) Baseball B) Basketball
C) Volleyball D) Football

"Go Gators. Football." (This former University of Georgia student
is amused)

for $1,000: The hard-to-read and restrictive parts of a contract
are often called the what?
A) Paper trail B) Package deal
C) Fine print D) Dependent clause

Fine print, and he has $1,000!

for $2,000: "Little Havana" is a major section of what U.S. city?
A) Cleveland B) Dallas
C) San Francisco D) Miami

His home city, no less. Miami it is.

for $4,000: The name of a school dance, "prom" is short for what
word?
A) Prominent B) Promise
C) Promenade D) Promotion

Promenade.

for $8,000: In a classic Mark Twain story, a young pauper trades
identities with a boy who is a what?
A) Prince B) Soldier
C) Wizard D) Sailor

[It wouldn't be smart to impersonate a wizard. People might get
suspicious when you showed a complete lack of magical ability]

He'll take the 50:50, leaving Prince and Wizard. He remembers
that "The Pauper and the Prince" is the title of something. Well,
close enough. Prince, Final Answer.
.
.
Correct! He will take his $8,000 into the commercials.

Eddy brought his companion, Fernando, who pushed him into trying
to get on the show. Eddy doesn't know what he'll do with the
money. Fernando does, but I didn't understand him.

for $16,000: The end of the Western Roman Empire in the 5th
century is considered the beginning of what period in European
history?
A) Crusades B) Middle Ages
C) Enlightenment D) Reformation

He wants to use another lifeline, and says the audience looks
really smart, like history buffs. Regis says he'd better take
another look at them. Eddy says the ones who don't look like
history buffs aren't going to answer. Uh-oh. 28-41-19-12, not bad
really. He was down to the two that scored the highest. He thinks
the crusades happened before the middle ages. but he trusts the
audience, and makes Middle Ages his Final Answer.
.
.
.
.
RIGHT!

for $32,000 guaranteed: What animated TV series features a
character whose favorite snack is Cheesy Poofs?
A) Rugrats B) The Powerpuff Girls
C) The Simpsons D) South Park

He'll phone Friend Mike. After some silence, Mike says 100% for
South Park. FA.
.
.
.
.
.
$32,000!

for $64,000: Basenji, whippet, and borzoi are breeds of what
animal?
A) Dog B) Cat
C) Fish D) Bird

He has four dogs, all from the pound. But he knows these are dogs
too.
.
.
.
.
RIGHT! and here are some more commercials.

Eddy McIntyre is certified as a pet therapist.

for $125,000: In 1963, Jean Nidetch founded what organization?
A) AARP B) Save the Children
C) Weight Watchers D) PETA

No lifelines, and no clue. He'll walk, "happy as a clam." The
answer was Weight Watchers.

I heard one person call PETA "People for Eating Tasty Animals"
once. That has nothing at all to do with the show.

FASTEST FINGER II: Put these magazines in the order they were
first published, starting with the earliest:
A) National Geographic B) Rosie
C) People D) Martha Stewart Living

A-C-D-B. 5 right. Frank Cook, at what appears to be 5.55, is up
next.

Frank Cook sells truck parts but wants in the theater. He used to
be a door-to-door cutlery salesman in Alaska.

for $100: Frozen or icy rain is known as what?
A) Sprinkle B) Mist
C) Sleet D) Blockbuster night

Sleet. I like "freezing rain" better than sleet, just for how it
makes the trees look.

for $200: A shirt that is 50% off would most likely be advertised
as what?
A) Full-price B) Half-price
C) Double-price D) So last season

Frank: "Sounds like where I'd get my clothes." Half-price.

for $300: An unconventional person is said to "march to the beat
of a different" what?
A) Saxophonist B) Pianist
C) Drummer D) Pacemaker

for $500:A monologue is a scene performed by how many actors?
A) One B) Two
C) Three D) Four

One.

for $1,000, once again a question asking about the contestant's
home: What country separates Alaska from the continental United
States?
A) Russia B) Mexico
C) Cuba D) Canada

Canada's worth $1,000. Well, obviously the country's worth far
more than that, but the ANSWER "Canada" is worth $1,000.

And we have another commercial break.

Frank brought a friend Laura from college for the Watcher's Seat.

for $2,000: Which of the following is a grazing animal?
A) Zebra B) Hyena
C) Crocodile D) Hawk

Zebra.

for $4,000: A pomade is normally applied to what part of the
body?
A) Cheeks B) Lips
C) Hair D) Fingernails

He thinks it's hair, because of pompadour. Final Answer? yes.
.
.
.
YES.

for $8,000: On the TV series "Taxi," who is the dispatcher at the
Sunshine Cab Company?
A) Mel Sharples B) Louie De Palma
C) Frank Furillo D) Larry Tate

Louie De Palma.

for $16,000: An audio cassette deck "reads" tiny patterns of what
in order to recreate sounds?
A) Black and white marks B) Light
C) Bumps D) Magnetic particles

He'll take magnetic particles for 16, Regis.
-----------------------------------------------------------------|
for $32,000 guaranteed, with all lifelines intact: In the 2001
movie "The Others," the children have an illness that requires
them to avoid what?
A) Sudden movements B) Touching other people
C) Direct sunlight D) Loud noises

He's seen this one. C, direct sunlight.
.
.
RIGHT!

for $64,000: Montmorency is a sour variety of what food?
A) Apple• B) Grape
C) Plum D) Cherry

He's thinking. He'll "beg the audience for the answer" and, like
last time, asks the ones who don't know not to vote. 27-28-14-31.
The audience isn't listening very well tonight, are they? He'll
phone Friend Mark. After multiple attempts at spelling
"Montmorency," they run out of time with grape as Mark's guess.
50:50 leaves apple and cherry, which were practcally tied in the
ATA. He'll guess apple.

Now he'll go with the audience and make Cherry his Final Answer.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
RIGHT! No lifelines, but there's always hope.

Frank Cook will put some money away for his daughter's school.

for $125,000: What Shakespeare character says, "Lord, what fools
these mortals be!"?
A) Puck B) Ariel
C) Caliban D) Richard III

He's agonizing again. He did eliminate Richard III as not making
sense, but will walk. Answer: Puck.

FASTEST FINGER III: Put these movies in order of their first
theatrical debut, starting with the earliest.
A) The Firm B) Legally Blonde
C) A Civil Action D) Legal Eagles

D-A-C-B, three right, Carlo Espinas at either 5.40 or 3.40.
(Maybe this is what I get for using the same section of tape for
this every week)

Carlo just got a degree in print journalism, and is now waiting
tables. So that's what degrees are for.

for $100: An inner tube is normally filled with that?
A) Air B) Sand
C) Water D) Tartar Control Crest

Air.

for $200: Someone who is in trouble is said to be "in a" what?
A) Preserves B) Jelly
C) Jam D) Day-old burrito

Jam.

for $300: "Eco-friendly" products are made with the intent of
protecting what?
A) Religion B) Environment
C) Technology D) Tuppie self-esteem

Environment.

for $500: The purpose of a megaphone is to do what to a person's
voice?
A) Increase its volume B) Disguise it
C) Raise its pitch D) Record it

Increase its volume.

for $1,000: Which of these animals leaves behind a trail of slime
as it moves on land?
(Regis exaggerated the word 'slime' for some reason)
A) Scorpion B) Crab
C) Centipede D) Slug

Slug.

for $2,000, I'm surprised WWTBAM isn't one of the choices!: On
what TV game show do contestants often have to decide whether to
spin or solve?
A) Hollywood Squares B) Wheel of Fortune
C) The Price is Right D) Jeopardy!

WHEEL!

OF!

FORTUNE!!!!

for $4,000: In the U.S., white flour is typically made from the
seeds of what grain?
A) Wheat B) Rice
C) Corn D) Barley

He whispers "2000" before saying wheat. Good answer! On to the
commercials!

Carlo graduated from American University and also babysits. Mom
is here, and wants him to get a "real job."

for $8,000: In her 1999 song, Christina Aguilera sings, "I'm a
genie in a bottle baby, you gotta" do what?
A) Catch me if you can B) Leave the top off for air
C) Rub me the right way D) Tell me your wishes

Even without ever having heard the song, I'm betting it's not B.
Carlo is embarassed that he knows this, and says he shouldn't
know it. Rub me the right way. RIGHT!

for $16,000: The Swiffer is a popular device used for which of
these household tasks?
A) Dusting B) Ironing
C) Drying dishes D) Removing stains

His roommate's been going on about how great the new wet
Swiffers are, so he knows it's for dusting.

for $32,000: A professor most oftem receives the title "emeritus"
upon doing what?
A) Publishing a book B) Becoming dean
C) Getting tenure D) Retiring

He has a feeling it's getting tenure, but he's not sure. He'll
take 50:50, which leaves Becoming Dean and Retiring. He'll
Phone-a-Roommate, Paul, the one with the Swiffer. Paul sounds
downright BORED (or half asleep) until Regis mentions how he's
already helped on the last question. He thinks it's retiring, but
isn't sure. He even says not to bet anything on it. Will we have
two in a row using all their lifelines on one question? At the
same level, even? Yup. 1-7-0-92. SOMEONE doesn't trust the 50:50.
Now, before anyone complains that you shouldn't use ATA last,
what choice did he have? Quit and never use it at all? Guess, and
risk almost all the money? He was smart to try not to use it
after giving an opinion. He'll go with them.
.
.
.
.
.
The $32,000 is his!

*****AH-CHOOOOO!!*****

--
"Just because the cat has kittens in the oven doesn't make them biscuits"

Myron M. Meyer

Sep 29, 2001, 11:48:05 AM9/29/01

"John Sergent" <feu...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> FASTEST FINGER I: Put these TV goofballs in the order of their
> debut, starting with the earliest.
> A) Cosmo Kramer B) Gomer Pyle
> C) Jack McFarland (who?) D) Crissy Snow

Sean Hayes on Will and Grace

> B-D-A-C, Only two right, and at 5.58 (I think; picture's a bit
> grainy today) Eddy McIntyre is the first player to the Hot Seat.

-Myron

Dean Scungio

Sep 30, 2001, 12:43:27 PM9/30/01
. o O ( Airdate: 9/27/2001 )

John Sergent <feu...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> The show opens with Regis Philbin calling New York the greatest
> city in the world, and he thanks the audience for showing up. Ten
> people, AND THEY ARE:
>
> Brian Eyer, Longview, WA
> Trish Kaminski, Denton, TX
> Robyn Gearley, Alexandria, VA
> Melissa Fruscione, Amherst, NY
> Frank Cook, Portland, OR
>
> Carlo Espinas, Washington, DC
> Jackie Ballance, Cicero, IN
> Andrew Shuster, Anaheim Hills, CA
> Eddy McIntyre, Miami, FL
> Cheryl Smith, Lauderdale, MS
>
> He also calls this the new season. I guess it is, come to think
> of it.

. o O ( This was the first episode of the fall season. )
. o O ( However, only 11 million people saw this show. )
. o O ( Everyone else was watching either "CSI" on CBS or "Will and Grace"
and "Just Shoot Me" on NBC. )

> FASTEST FINGER I: Put these TV goofballs in the order of their
> debut, starting with the earliest.
> A) Cosmo Kramer B) Gomer Pyle
> C) Jack McFarland (who?) D) Crissy Snow
>
> B-D-A-C,

. o O ( 1963, Jim Nabors, "The Andy Griffith Show" )
. o O ( 1977, Suzanne Somers, "Three's Company" )
. o O ( 1990, Michael Richards, "Seinfeld" )
. o O ( 1998, Sean Hayes, "Will and Grace" )

> Only two right, and at 5.58 (I think; picture's a bit
> grainy today) Eddy McIntyre is the first player to the Hot Seat.
>
> Eddy is an attorney and president of the board of a non-profit.
> On to the game.
>
> for $100: Which of the following is slang for an important
> person?
> A) Top Hat B) High Heel
> C) Bigwig D) The Reege

. o O ( "Regis" means "(of the) king" in Latin. )

> Bigwig.
>
> for $200: Which of these terms means "to restart a computer"?
> A) Reboot B) Jump-start
> C) Uplink D) Please work this time
>
> Reboot.

. o O ( "ReBoot" is a computer animated sci-fi Saturday morning TV series
that originally aired on ABC. )

> for $300: Which of these timepieces uses a pendulum to keep time?
> A) Wrist watch B) Grandfather clock
> C) Hourglass D) Biological clock
>
> Grandfather clock.
>
> for $500: In what sport do players try to throw a "tight spiral"?
> A) Baseball B) Basketball
> C) Volleyball D) Football
>
> "Go Gators. Football." (This former University of Georgia student
> is amused)
>
> for $1,000: The hard-to-read and restrictive parts of a contract
> are often called the what?
> A) Paper trail B) Package deal
> C) Fine print D) Dependent clause
>
> Fine print, and he has $1,000!
>
> for $2,000: "Little Havana" is a major section of what U.S. city?
> A) Cleveland B) Dallas
> C) San Francisco D) Miami
>
> His home city, no less. Miami it is.

. o O ( In 2000, "Little Havana" was the center of the Elian Gonzalez
saga. )

> for $4,000: The name of a school dance, "prom" is short for what
> word?
> A) Prominent B) Promise
> C) Promenade D) Promotion
>
> Promenade.
>
> for $8,000: In a classic Mark Twain story, a young pauper trades
> identities with a boy who is a what?
> A) Prince B) Soldier
> C) Wizard D) Sailor
>
> [It wouldn't be smart to impersonate a wizard. People might get
> suspicious when you showed a complete lack of magical ability]

. o O ( Harry Potter is a boy with magical abilities. )
. o O ( He attends the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. )

> He'll take the 50:50, leaving Prince and Wizard. He remembers
> that "The Pauper and the Prince" is the title of something. Well,
> close enough. Prince, Final Answer.
> .
> .
> Correct! He will take his $8,000 into the commercials.

. o O ( "The Prince and the Pauper" was first published in 1881. )

> Eddy brought his companion, Fernando, who pushed him into trying
> to get on the show. Eddy doesn't know what he'll do with the
> money. Fernando does, but I didn't understand him.

. o O ( Fernando mentions shopping at Barney's. )
. o O ( It is a designer clothing store in New York City. )

> for $16,000: The end of the Western Roman Empire in the 5th
> century is considered the beginning of what period in European
> history?
> A) Crusades B) Middle Ages
> C) Enlightenment D) Reformation
>
> He wants to use another lifeline, and says the audience looks
> really smart, like history buffs. Regis says he'd better take
> another look at them. Eddy says the ones who don't look like
> history buffs aren't going to answer. Uh-oh. 28-41-19-12, not bad
> really. He was down to the two that scored the highest. He thinks
> the crusades happened before the middle ages. but he trusts the
> audience, and makes Middle Ages his Final Answer.
> .
> .
> .
> .
> RIGHT!

. o O ( The Crusades were a series of religious wars that occurred from the
11th to the 14th Century. )
. o O ( The Enlightenment occurred in the 18th Century. )
. o O ( The Reformation was a religious revolution that took place in the
16th Century and led to the rise of Protestantism. )

. o O ( http://www.spdownloads.com/sounds/epi_101/101_cheesypoofs.wav )

. o O ( basenji: http://www.akc.org/breeds/recbreeds/basenji.cfm )
. o O ( whippet: http://www.akc.org/breeds/recbreeds/whippet.cfm )
. o O ( borzoi: http://www.akc.org/breeds/recbreeds/borzoi.cfm )

> Eddy McIntyre is certified as a pet therapist.
>
> for $125,000: In 1963, Jean Nidetch founded what organization?
> A) AARP B) Save the Children
> C) Weight Watchers D) PETA
>
> No lifelines, and no clue. He'll walk, "happy as a clam." The
> answer was Weight Watchers.

. o O ( Weight Watchers' "Easy as 123" program assigns a point value for
every food. )
. o O ( A half-cup of cooked clams are assigned 1 point. )

> I heard one person call PETA "People for Eating Tasty Animals"
> once. That has nothing at all to do with the show.

. o O ( PETA do have something to say about another show and people eating
tasty animals. )
. o O ( They oppose the TV series "Survivor" and its scenes of people eating
fish, rats and a pig. )
. o O ( They have a "beef" with CBS. )

> FASTEST FINGER II: Put these magazines in the order they were
> first published, starting with the earliest:
> A) National Geographic B) Rosie
> C) People D) Martha Stewart Living
>
> A-C-D-B.

. o O ( 1888; 1974; 1991; 2001 )

> 5 right. Frank Cook, at what appears to be 5.55, is up next.
>
> Frank Cook sells truck parts but wants in the theater. He used to
> be a door-to-door cutlery salesman in Alaska.
>
> for $100: Frozen or icy rain is known as what?
> A) Sprinkle B) Mist
> C) Sleet D) Blockbuster night
>
> Sleet. I like "freezing rain" better than sleet, just for how it
> makes the trees look.
>
> for $200: A shirt that is 50% off would most likely be advertised
> as what?
> A) Full-price B) Half-price
> C) Double-price D) So last season
>
> Frank: "Sounds like where I'd get my clothes." Half-price.
>
> for $300: An unconventional person is said to "march to the beat
> of a different" what?
> A) Saxophonist B) Pianist
> C) Drummer D) Pacemaker

C. Drummer

. o O ( http://www.shakespeare-monologues.org/ )

> for $1,000, once again a question asking about the contestant's
> home:

. o O ( The questions are written in advance without the knowledge of who
will answer them. )

> What country separates Alaska from the continental United States?
> A) Russia B) Mexico
> C) Cuba D) Canada
>
> Canada's worth $1,000. Well, obviously the country's worth far
> more than that, but the ANSWER "Canada" is worth $1,000.

. o O ( US$1,000 = CA$1,578.80 )

> And we have another commercial break.
>
> Frank brought a friend Laura from college for the Watcher's Seat.
>
> for $2,000: Which of the following is a grazing animal?
> A) Zebra B) Hyena
> C) Crocodile D) Hawk
>
> Zebra.
>
> for $4,000: A pomade is normally applied to what part of the
> body?
> A) Cheeks B) Lips
> C) Hair D) Fingernails
>
> He thinks it's hair, because of pompadour. Final Answer? yes.
> .
> .
> .
> YES.

. o O ( pomade: a perfumed ointment, especially one used to groom the hair )
. o O ( ...from the Italian "pomo" meaning "apple." )
. o O ( Pomades were originally made from apples. )

. o O ( pompadour: )
. o O ( 1. a man's style of hairdressing in which the hair is combed into a
high mound in front )
. o O ( 2. a woman's style of hairdressing in which the hair is brushed into
a loose full roll around the face )
. o O ( ...named after the Marquise de Pompadour. )

> for $8,000: On the TV series "Taxi," who is the dispatcher at the
> Sunshine Cab Company?
> A) Mel Sharples B) Louie De Palma
> C) Frank Furillo D) Larry Tate
>
> Louie De Palma.

. o O ( Played by Dany DeVito )

> for $16,000: An audio cassette deck "reads" tiny patterns of what
> in order to recreate sounds?
> A) Black and white marks B) Light
> C) Bumps D) Magnetic particles
>
> He'll take magnetic particles for 16, Regis.

. o O

http://school.discovery.com/homeworkhelp/worldbook/atozscience/t/546940.html
)

> -----------------------------------------------------------------|
> for $32,000 guaranteed, with all lifelines intact: In the 2001
> movie "The Others," the children have an illness that requires
> them to avoid what?
> A) Sudden movements B) Touching other people
> C) Direct sunlight D) Loud noises
>
> He's seen this one. C, direct sunlight.
> .
> .
> RIGHT!

. o O ( This disease makes Nicole Kidman's character obsessed about keeping
the mansion dark at all times. )
. o O ( ...a perfect enviroment for this "ghost story." )

> for $64,000: Montmorency is a sour variety of what food?

> A) Apple. B) Grape

> C) Plum D) Cherry
>
> He's thinking. He'll "beg the audience for the answer" and, like
> last time, asks the ones who don't know not to vote. 27-28-14-31.
> The audience isn't listening very well tonight, are they? He'll
> phone Friend Mark. After multiple attempts at spelling
> "Montmorency," they run out of time with grape as Mark's guess.
> 50:50 leaves apple and cherry, which were practcally tied in the
> ATA. He'll guess apple.
>
> Now he'll go with the audience and make Cherry his Final Answer.

. o O ( This is why Regis asks for a "final answer." )
. o O ( The show must get a "final answer" from the contestant so there are
no disputes after the show. )
. o O ( It's a legality. )

. o O ( On-air time to answer: 4:29 )

> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> RIGHT! No lifelines, but there's always hope.

. o O ( http://www.arborday.org/trees/treessuper95.html )
. o O ( Montmorency cherries are commonly used in cherry pies. )

> Frank Cook will put some money away for his daughter's school.
>
> for $125,000: What Shakespeare character says, "Lord, what fools
> these mortals be!"?
> A) Puck B) Ariel
> C) Caliban D) Richard III
>
> He's agonizing again. He did eliminate Richard III as not making
> sense, but will walk. Answer: Puck.

. o O ( From "A Midsummer Night's Dream" (III, ii, 115) )

> FASTEST FINGER III: Put these movies in order of their first
> theatrical debut, starting with the earliest.
> A) The Firm B) Legally Blonde
> C) A Civil Action D) Legal Eagles
>
> D-A-C-B,

. o O ( 1986; 1993; 1998; 2001 )

> three right, Carlo Espinas at either 5.40 or 3.40.
> (Maybe this is what I get for using the same section of tape for
> this every week)

. o O ( Carlo Espinas: 5.40 )
. o O ( Melissa Fruscione: 5.84 )
. o O ( Robyn Gearley: 6.90 )

. o O ( The slime is used to allow the slug to move over surfaces, to keep
its skin moist, and it acts as a defense mechanism. )
. o O ( Slugs also use slime trails to find each other. )
. o O ( Scientists are trying to reproduce slug slime because it is a
natural adhesive, or glue. )

> for $2,000, I'm surprised WWTBAM isn't one of the choices!: On
> what TV game show do contestants often have to decide whether to
> spin or solve?

. o O ( Or buy a vowel. )

> A) Hollywood Squares B) Wheel of Fortune
> C) The Price is Right D) Jeopardy!
>
> WHEEL!
>
> OF!
>
> FORTUNE!!!!

. o O ( $2,000 = 8 vowels )

> for $4,000: In the U.S., white flour is typically made from the
> seeds of what grain?
> A) Wheat B) Rice
> C) Corn D) Barley
>
> He whispers "2000" before saying wheat. Good answer! On to the
> commercials!
>
> Carlo graduated from American University and also babysits. Mom
> is here, and wants him to get a "real job."
>
> for $8,000: In her 1999 song, Christina Aguilera sings, "I'm a
> genie in a bottle baby, you gotta" do what?
> A) Catch me if you can B) Leave the top off for air
> C) Rub me the right way D) Tell me your wishes
>
> Even without ever having heard the song, I'm betting it's not B.
> Carlo is embarassed that he knows this, and says he shouldn't
> know it. Rub me the right way. RIGHT!

. o O ( Christina Aguilera insists that "the song is not about sex." )
. o O ( "It's about self-respect. It's about not giving in to temptation
until you're respected." )
. o O ( She did not write the lyrics. She only sings them. )

. o O ( http://www.swiffer.com )

> for $32,000: A professor most oftem receives the title "emeritus"
> upon doing what?
> A) Publishing a book B) Becoming dean
> C) Getting tenure D) Retiring

If I became a professor and eventually became a dean, technically my name
and title would be "Dean Dean Scungio." Weird, huh?

> He has a feeling it's getting tenure, but he's not sure. He'll
> take 50:50, which leaves Becoming Dean and Retiring.

. o O ( tenure: the status of holding one's position on a permanent basis
without periodic contract renewals )

> He'll Phone-a-Roommate, Paul, the one with the Swiffer. Paul sounds
> downright BORED (or half asleep) until Regis mentions how he's
> already helped on the last question. He thinks it's retiring, but
> isn't sure. He even says not to bet anything on it. Will we have
> two in a row using all their lifelines on one question? At the
> same level, even? Yup. 1-7-0-92. SOMEONE doesn't trust the 50:50.
> Now, before anyone complains that you shouldn't use ATA last,
> what choice did he have? Quit and never use it at all? Guess, and
> risk almost all the money? He was smart to try not to use it
> after giving an opinion. He'll go with them.

. o O ( On-air time to answer: 3:02 )

> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> The $32,000 is his!

. o O ( emeritus: adj., retired but retaining an honorary title
corresponding to that held immediately before retirement )

> *****AH-CHOOOOO!!*****

. o O ( Gesundheit! )

> --
> "Just because the cat has kittens in the oven doesn't make them biscuits"

. o O ( "Pop-Up Video" is a trademark of VH1, Viacom and Spin the Bottle
Productions. )

. o O ( POP! )

--
Dean Scungio
dscu...@worldnet.att.net

"It's not how much we give away,
it's the way we do it." -Monty Hall

Brett A. Pasternack

Oct 1, 2001, 2:39:30 AM10/1/01
Dean Scungio wrote:

> > for $125,000: What Shakespeare character says, "Lord, what fools
> > these mortals be!"?
> > A) Puck B) Ariel
> > C) Caliban D) Richard III
> >
> > He's agonizing again. He did eliminate Richard III as not making
> > sense, but will walk. Answer: Puck.
> >

> . o O ( From "A Midsummer Night's Dream" (III, ii, 115) )

Is it just me, or is this just too easy for a $125,000 question?

> > for $32,000: A professor most oftem receives the title "emeritus"
> > upon doing what?
> > A) Publishing a book B) Becoming dean
> > C) Getting tenure D) Retiring
> >

> If I became a professor and eventually became a dean, technically my name
> and title would be "Dean Dean Scungio." Weird, huh?
>
> > He has a feeling it's getting tenure, but he's not sure. He'll
> > take 50:50, which leaves Becoming Dean and Retiring.

There's an episode of Family Ties where Alex goes for an interview at
Princeton, and the Dean interviewing him is named Meminger--a neat
little in-joke for basketball fans, as a player named Dean Meminger was
a sub for the New York Knicks in the early 70s. And just in case anyone
thought it was a coincidence, one of the pieces of art on the Dean's
wall was a floor plan of Madison Square Garden!