JS Millionaire 8/13/2000

Steve Jeremiah Williams-Soria (Jeremy Soria)

Aug 14, 2000, 10:25:44 PM8/14/00
WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?
Sunday, August 13, 2000

PREVIOUSLY ON MILLIONAIRE:

We gave away $258,000 to three great contestants Sunday night. Some gutsy,
some conservative, all winners.

This time now, it's David Wright. How'll he do? It's next as we ask...

WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE?

David Wright is studying clinical psychology. He's going to get his doctorate,
and his girlfriend is working on her masters' in psychology. According to
David's girlfriend, David's a funny guy!

Rundown: David has $4000 and is 8 questions away from the million.
$1000 is his guarantee right now. Next one is 3 away at $32,000.
Two LifeLines remain: 50/50 and PAF.

For $8000:
The Ouija board gets its name from the word "yes" in which two languages?

A. French and German
B. French and Italian
C. Italian and German
D. Italian and Russian

He knows what "yes" means in French. He thinks it's either A or B.

He's going to go with A - French and German. His mom was from Germany.

That's his final answer.

Oui. Ja. He has $8000!

For $16,000:
Which of these musicians was NOT a member of the rock band, The Eagles?
A. Don Henley B. Glenn Frey C. Joe Walsh D. Lindsey Buckingham

He thinks it's D, so that's what he says.

Oui. Ja. Yep! He has $16,000!

For $32,000:
Writer Henry David Thoreau's beloved Walden Pond is in what US state?
A. Vermont B. New Hampshire C. Massachusetts D. Pennsylvania

Hmm. Let's Phone a Friend. It's Kyle, a physician-in-training in Chicago.
They discuss and agree upon C - Massachusetts.

That's his final answer.

Too late to change it now.

And now...

he has...

THIRTY-TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!

For $64,000:
"Buffalo Bill" Cody was once a member of which organization?
A. Texas Rangers B. US Marshals C. Pony Express D. Pinkerton Detectives

Let's knock out two wrong answers:
A. Texas Rangers C. Pony Express

Let's see if he will zig correctly.

He will go with A - Texas Rangers.

Free shot!

There it goes...

Bounce...

THUD. No good. The correct answer is C - Pony Express.

He still has $32,000!

Nine contestants play our first FASTEST FINGER FIRST:
Place these nonfiction books in order of when they first became best-sellers,
MOST RECENT FIRST.

A. Moonwalk B. The Feminine Mystique
C. Mommie Dearest D. The Greatest Generation

Correct answer: D-A-C-B
2 of 9 right. Winner: Maureen Block, 6.65 seconds!

Maureen is from Rancho Cucumonga, CA. She went back to college after having
children, and has a degree in English now.

For $100:
Fill in this blank: "Good riddance to bad _______"
B - Rubbish.

For $200:
According to that warning on a car's passenger's side mirror, how are objects
different than they appear?
C - Closer.

For $300: What is the refrain of the nursery rhyme "Old McDonald"?
B - E-I-E-I-O.

For $500: According to a spelling rule in English, "Put 'i' before 'e' except
after" what letter?
C - C.

For $1000: A short narrative of an amusing or biographical incident is
commonly called a what?
A - Anecdote. The $1000 is safe!

For $2000: What year immediately followed 1 B.C.?

A. 0 B.C.
B. 0 A.D.
C. 2 B.C.
D. 1 A.D.

Hmmm. Interesting question. Let's ATA: 10-14-12-64

Hmmm.

She's still pondering.

Let's go with D - 1 A.D.

As you might know, A.D. is Latin for "In the year of our Lord." And
considering that 1 B.C. would be "one year before Christ", when Christ was
born, the next year was the first year of our Lord, or 1 A.D. So she's right!

For $4000: On the July 12, 2000, episode of the TV show "Survivor", the
remaining castaways merged into a new tribe called what?
A. Rattana B. Tagi C. Rays D. Pagong

We gotta Phone-a-Friend. It's Trish.
Trish does not know.

Regis: "They said everybody was watching. What happened?" (slight laughter)
Maureen: "I guess we found two people that aren't." (laughter and applause)

Let's hope the 50/50 gives her mercy:

A. Rattana B. Tagi

Let's go with B - Tagi.

Final answer.

And you know what?

I'm the only one in southeast Virginia that missed this question.
The correct answer is indeed...

A - Rattana.

She still has $1000!

FFF: Place these states in order according to the number of other US states
they border, FEWEST first.

A. Missouri B. Maine C. California D. Alaska

Correct answer: D-B-C-A
(D - 0, B - 1, C - 3, A - more than 3.)

3 of 8. Winner: Gary Jackson, 9.92 seconds!

Gary is a nurse at Georgetown Memorial Hospital in Pleasant Hill, NJ. He works
in the ER. He originally wanted to play football and be a coach. His first job
was in the hospital, and so it goes.

For $100:
A structure that spouts water and is usually decorative is known as what?
B- Fountain.

For $200: According to a slang phrase, if you are dead and buried, you are
"pushing up" what?
C - Daisies.

For $300: What annual July baseball game features the best current players
from the American and National Leagues?
C - All-Star Game.

For $500: In what country does the Loch Ness monster allegedly reside?
A- Scotland.

For $1000: A phrase used to describe someone who has doubts comes from the
name of which early Christian apostle?
B- Thomas. The $1000 is safe.

For $2000:
In the 1979 movie "Norma Rae," what industry does Norma Rae help unionize?
D - Textile.

For $4000:
The Soviet Union officially dissolved during what US president's term?
A. Jimmy Carter B. Ronald Reagan C. George Bush D. Bill Clinton

Let's ATA. 3-35-50-12

He says C - George Bush. Regis reminds him, "It says 'officially dissolved'
there, right?" He was leaning toward C anyway, so that's where he'll go.

That's his final answer...

... gasp.

He's right!

For $8000:
What does "Las Vegas" mean in Spanish?
A. The meadows B. The views C. The sands D. The ceiling

Las Vegas is in the middle of the desert, so I guess it seems logical that the
answer would be C - The sands.

So that's his final answer.

I think he might have gotten the city confused with the hotel that once stood
in Las Vegas, which means "The Meadows" in Spanish.

He still has $1000!

Looks like they're tightening up the purse strings, or the questions are just
tough breaks. Who knows.

FFF: Place these civil rights leaders in order of their birth, EARLIEST first.
A. Booker T. Washington B. Sojourner Truth
C. Ralph Abernathy D. Al Sharpton

Correct answer: B-A-C-D
5 of 7, believe it or not. Winner: Zack Jaffe, 5.42 seconds!

Zack is from Baltimore, MD. He's a library assistant. He wants to teach, just
like his wife.

For $100: According to an old proverb, "A watched pot never" does what?
C- Boils.

For $200: Referring to people who are close friends, "Frick" is often linked
with what?
C - Frack.

For $300: Military combat between two planes is called what?
B - Dogfight.

For $500: How many complete sets of teeth does a human have in his/her
lifetime?
A - 2.

For $1000: Who is magician Penn Jillette's silent partner?
D - Teller. The $1000 is safe!

For $2000: Which of these is a cactus?
B - Prickly pear.

For $4000: In May 2000, what horse won the 126th running of the Kentucky
Derby?
B - Fusaichi Pegasus.

Fu-sa-i-chi. Four syllables.
Remember that for the Breeders' Cup Classic this November. :)

For $8000: The research project to decode human DNA is known as what?
A - Human Genome Project.

For $16,000: Which man here did NOT win an Academy award for his work on "The
Godfather" film series?
A. Marlon Brando B. Al Pacino C. Robert De Niro D. Francis Ford Coppola

Let's ATA: 23-21-46-10

C - Robert De Niro.

That's his final answer...

... and it's ...

... wrong.

What's going *ON* here? That's our third fall from grace this evening!

FFF: Songs, first release, EARLIEST first.
A. Don't Stop B. Don't Stop Believin'
C. Don't Make Me Over D. Don't Worry, Be Happy

Correct answer: C-A-B-D
2 of 6. Winner: Phil Gibbons, 8.24 seconds.

For $100: Improvising for a situation for are unprepared is called?
C - Winging it.

For $200: A thin piece of wood or other devise used to immobilize a body part
is a what?
A - Splint.

For $300: An ornamental fixture that hangs from the ceiling is often holding
many lights is called what?
C - Chandelier.

**AH-WHOOOO!**

Phone lines reopen Sunday, August 20.

If you'd like to see Who Wants To Be a Millionaire? in person, and you're
going to be in the New York City area, call this number... 212/735-5369.

If you want some practice being on the show, play online at abc.go.com, or
play the computer game, or get the quiz book! And now, you can play the board
game, too!

WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE? was created by David Briggs with Michael
Whitehill and Steve Knight for Celador Productions, and is produced in the
United States by Valleycrest Productions for Buena Vista Television.

MILLIONAIRE?: Copyright 2000
Valleycrest Productions and Buena Vista Television.
This Update is Copyright 2000 Jeremy Soria.
All Rights Reserved.

All game material contained herein remains the property of Valleycrest and
BVTV. Opinions expressed in this update are solely those of the compiler.

From Virginia Beach - Good night everybody!

- Jeremy "TV network programmers. Who needs 'em?" - TiVo.com

DSL ... Join the Revolution Hate Bush? Gore sucks? Then vote GREEN!
... and Experience the Difference! Vote Nader/LaDuke in November.
--
jeremy75 (at) | "You treat me like a dog and you expect me to | AUSTIN
bellatlantic . net | smile? You remind me of a JACKASS~!" - SCSA | 3:16

Buddy, Andre, Kerry, Eddie, Flyin' Brian, Owen Hart, Gordon Solie ... Sigh ...

Chris B.

Aug 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/15/00
I know many have said this, but thank Jeremy for the transcript...

On Tue, 15 Aug 2000 02:25:44 GMT,
jeremy75-REM...@bellatlantic.net (Steve Jeremiah
Williams-Soria (Jeremy Soria)) wrote:

>For $4000: On the July 12, 2000, episode of the TV show "Survivor", the
>remaining castaways merged into a new tribe called what?
>A. Rattana B. Tagi C. Rays D. Pagong
>
>We gotta Phone-a-Friend. It's Trish.
>Trish does not know.
>
> Regis: "They said everybody was watching. What happened?" (slight laughter)
>Maureen: "I guess we found two people that aren't." (laughter and applause)

Believe me, you're not alone!!! I was ROTFLMAO!!!

>Let's hope the 50/50 gives her mercy:
>
>A. Rattana B. Tagi
>
>Let's go with B - Tagi.
>
>Final answer.
>
>And you know what?
>
>I'm the only one in southeast Virginia that missed this question.
>The correct answer is indeed...
>
>A - Rattana.

I just smiled...and I got the answer, but it was a total guess, not
that it mattered.

CB2000