ATN - 1997 Convention Update

1 view

Beas...@aol.com

Feb 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/26/97

[Hey all! My check was finally cashed - I had given it to them last July -
and here is the latest update from the convention committee. Btw, all typos
are *NOT* my doing! - BeastFan]

1997 Beauty & the Beast Convention
Reflections on the First Ten Years
Of things that are not and that should be...

The Update

February, 1997

Hello there! Well this summer is fast approaching and convention time is
drawing near. Here in Minnesota, we've spent the last six months looking
back at the previous conventions and discovered we have a tough act to
follow. Now, however, we have reached the end of our planning phase and are
putting those plans into action. We will have many of the same things that
we have all grown to love and expect at the yearly gatherings, plus we are
making a few new additions.

Rest assured, we are still having Friday morning opening ceremonies with
plenty of special entertainment in store. There will be discussion panels on
all three days with a few topics returning from last year, as well as the
costume contest and talent show on Friday night. We will also have a
dealers' room, a video room and Saturday Q&A and autograph session with the
celebrities. The banquet will be on Saturday night, followed by the
celebrity auction. The Sunday morning brunch was such a success last year
that we've decided to do it again and we'll wrap up on Sunday with the
traditional passing of the candle.

The art show this year is entitled "Reflections in Art" and all artists of
all fan persuasions are encouraged to display their wares (Myhr, this means
you). We will be accepting artwork from all seasons of Beauty and the Beast
as well as artwork from other genre. So dust off your Star Trek, your
HIGHLANDER, your X-Files, your Lois and Clark and your "Other Fantasy" art
and bring it to the convention. We will display practically
anythingaeprovided there's enough space. The art auction this year will be
em-ceed by Clare Seifert, so prepare for a lively (and profitable) event on
Sunday afternoon, after the brunch.

As for the things we are hoping to do differently this year, we are working
on the Chamber of Memories which is a retrospective look at Beauty and the
Beast and its fandom. This room will be a collection of items that you the
fans donate to share with your fellow fans. We are also planning a pizza
party Sunday night after the convention is over for those who are staying and
want to keep the fun going.

We are presently working on inviting all our regular favorite celebrities,
plus finding some new friends. So far we have spoken to Caitlin O'Heany,
Linda Campanelli and Robert John Guttke, all of whom have said that, should
their schedules permit, they will be happy to attend.

We're also looking into bringing in Edward Albert, David Schwartz, Jay
Acovone and Frank Lutz and should have results within the next few weeks.

This year, as in the past, we have a charity that is in need of help and is
of great service to the community. St. Joseph's Home for Children is a place
where children who are innocent victims of crime or have been abandoned can
go for shelter and safety. St. Joe's also provides an emergency shelter,
residential and day treatment programs, diagnostic evaluation and
family-based outreach programs. St. joe's has been an institution in
Minneapolis since 1864.

On Monday the planning committee for Reflections '97 will be taking all of
its proceeds and spending it all at the Mall of America. Just kidding!
Actually we are planning a trip to the country's largest mall (a.k.a. the
Minnesota Mega Mall) for those of you who require a regular shopping fix. In
addition to hundreds of specialty shops, The Mall also has many attractions
in store. Aside from Camp Snoopy, an indoor amusement park, there is also
UnderWater World, Starbase Omega, Planet Hollywood and, for those of you who
find your ideal mate at the convention, the Chapel of Love. For a nominal
fee you will receive a designer shopping bag with a super savings coupon book
and souvenir postcard, a map and directory and a special guest "star" and
brochure. Sorry, but you have to provide your own credit card.

That's all for now. Another update will follow in a few short weeks and
until then, keep the dream alive and KICKING!

Sincerely,

Barb Breuer and her Convention Buddies

p.s. Ya, sure, you betcha.

4806 Aldrich Avenue N. - Minneapolis, Minnesota 55430 USA -- 612/521-9725

***Addendum:

The convention travel agent is Robin Schindler. Call for a
5% discount on your convention flight. 310-640-0527, 213-772-1511 1
800-624-6679 FAX 310-322-9900 If enough people go through Robin we can get
better rates to bring in the guests.

The Reflections committee felt it would be a good idea if we were able to
except major credit cords, in order to make things easier on people this
year. We are going to allow them at the art and celebrity auctions, and at
the Reflections table. We felt that this way you could also spend more money
in the dealers room, and not have to carry so much cash.

For those of you who don't get the information about the con zine, we are
putting in a new section. We are asking for people to tell us how Beauty and
the Beast has changed there lives, or what it is about the show that has kept
you in the fandom for so long? If you are new to the fandom we want to here
your story to. These don't have to be very long, a paragraph or a page will
be good.

send them to: Gloria Handley
4195 Rolling Hills
Bettendorf, IA 52722

Just a little more about the Chamber of Memories.
When this was thought of, it was like the painted tunnels. This is our
history as a fandom, with all the new people that we get every year, this is
a way to show them what we have dun and what we are doing.

we need

Your photos
If you ran or are running a B&B group, or are in one and want to show us what
your group does or have dun.
If you own something from the show, Costumes, props, etc.
If you ran a Convention,
If you made something inspired by the show.
What ever you would like to share,

If you have more questions contact;
Barb Breuer
4806 Aldrich Ave N
MPLS MN 55430
612 - 521 -9725

*****Original Flyer and Registration Form

Beauty and the Beast '97

As 1997 marks the ten year anniversary of Beauty and the Beast, we in
Minnesota thought it fitting to do a retrospective, a look back both at the
show and at fandom, at how we have grown and changed, with a glance forward
in hope towards the future--hence the theme, "Of things that are not and that
should be ... Reflections on the first ten years."

In keeping with that theme, we are planning a room celebrating ten years of
Beauty and the Beast called the "Chamber of Memories." This room is intended
to have displays representing as many aspects of the show and fandom as we
can beg, borrow or "find". To make this room a success, we're depending on
you, the fans. What represents B&B for you? Displays can include photos,
artwork, publications, posters of club activities--anything that's part of
the B&B experience.

For after the con, we are in the process of planning a trip to the Mall of
America. It will be on Monday, July 14th; look for more information in
future mailings.

The hotel for Reflections will be the Sheraton Park Place (1-800-542-5566).
Prices start at $72 for a double. Mention Reflections when reserving your
room. Please note: because of the Minnesota Indoor Clean Air Act, smoking in
public buildings, including public parts of the hotel, is limited to
designated smoking areas.

For further information, send a SASE to one of the following people:

Registration &
Chamber of Memories
Barb Breuer
4806 Aldrich Ave N
Minneapolis MN 55430
(612)-521-9725

Dealers' Room
2414 Logan Ave N
Minneapolis MN 55414
(612)-588-8192

Art Show
Nora Leverson
10155 Greenbriar Rd#115
Minnetonka MN 55305
(612)-525-8639

Souvenir Booklet
Gloria Handley
4195 Rolling Hills
Bettendorf IA 52722
(319)-355-7896

Reflections

We intend this convention to embrace all parts of fandom, not just reflecting
on but celebrating the first ten years and the wonderful show that brought us
together and made us a community in the first place. We will do our very
best to reflect the sensitivity, tolerance, and caring spirit we all found in
the Tunnels. Come and celebrate these past ten years with us, just the first
decade of many years to come.

--From the Convention Committee

The Eighth Anual International Beauty & the Beast Convention
" Of things that are not
and should be..."
Reflections
on the first ten years
July 11, 12, & 13, 1997

Minneapolis, Minnesota

3-day passes (Friday-Sunday) Through May 31, 1997 $85. After May 31, 1997
$90.

1-day passes (Friday and/or Saturday) Available at door. $30. each 1-day
pass.

3-day passes include souvenier booklet, totebag, banquet and admission to art
and celebrity auctions (not included with 1-day pass).

3-day and 1-day passes include admission to dealers' room, art show, costume
contest, talent show, panel discussions, and Chamber of Memories.

3-day and Saturday 1-day passes include admission to Celebrity Q & A and
autograph session.

Dealers' Room tables: $75. per table.

Additional banquet tickets are $35. (not available at door.)
Dealers' room table prices do not include registration.
Mall of America trip pricing will be available in later mailings.
Reflections Registration Form
(Please print legibly) July 11-13,1997 Minneapolis, Minnesota

Date / /

Name___________________________________________

Phone_____________

Address_________________________________________

City/State/Zip____________________________________

________ No. of 3-day ___$85 __$90 Total 3-day ______

________ No. of 1-day (Friday only) $30 Total Fri. _______

________ No. of 1-day, (Saturdav only) $30 Total Sat. _______

_______ No. of extra banquet tickets $35 Total banq. _______

Total amount enclosed:______

_______ No. of dealers' tables $75 Total deal. _______
(Cancellations will be refunded up to June 1, 1997)

Would you be interested in a Mall of America trip? __Yes __No

Please make checks payable to:
Reflections
Send to:
Reflections Barb Breuer