con impressions (I've been "podded")

1 view

Jason Newman

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

Well, now that I have gotten some sleep, wish to share with you a few con
impressions.

Okay...last january, Jackie mentioned that she was going to a B&B
convention in Virginia Beach in 1998. I said no way....First of all, I
hadn't really watched the show all of that much, and secondly, I said to
her "I bet all of those people are weird!" I had tried clubs and stuff for
Trek and could never really get into fandom because there were some people
that just scared me and took things too seriously.

Then Jackie got me hooked on the show (and a few of you online folk helped
too). No need to repeat that story. She then started to twist my arm to get
me to go to the con. Then others started telling me that this event isn't
like a trek con...much more of a family atmosphere. Plus, for the most
part, the people that I did talk to online seemed pretty nice. Still, I was
hesitant in going. I am not a "social butterfly" (a few of you were
suprised that I was more quiet at the con than online....I did warn many of
you about that....:-)

To make a long story short, Jackie and I had a blast. We thought Myhr
was/is great. Love his artwork and stage personality. Jay and Dave are a
hoot....haven't laughed like that for a long time. I'm glad the person who
did Vincent's makeup (Margaret) was there too.

And those of you who said that it was a "family-like" atmosphere were
right. Like I've said to many of you, I'm not a big extrovert (though I
think I have discovered that I'm not an introvert....I must be in-between),
but a year ago, I would have not have been sitting in a bar comfortably
talking with people that were pretty much complete strangers to me. I don't
think I would have had the guts to submit any creative writing either. I
even told Jackie before that I went that I probably wouldn't be spending
any money at this con, yet here I sit with a two Jamie prints (one of
Catherine for me, and another one of Vincent and Catherine that is for my
wife's birthday), a pencil drawing of Catherine done by Jamie, and some
other misc stuff. I spent more money than Jackie did!

The only way that I can explain all of this is that at some point, the
aliens from the "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" came to take me over.
Shelia and I talked at length about this, and I've come to the conclusion
that I've been "podded". She thinks she was "podded" to, but I'll let her
tell her own story.

Okay...one last thing before this gets to long. I was glad to have finally
met many of you. Sandy2, Joanne, Pat, Cathy....you are all really nice and
it was a pleasure getting to know you a bit better. Aurea, Mel, Teri....you
guys are a hoot, and I'm glad that I've finally met you. It was a blast.
Shelia...you are really funny and you make people around you come to life.
Beastfan (Lisa), and Lori (Jayhawk)....it was great to have met you too. I
know I've left a few names out...sorry...I'm bad with names. I wish Jackie
and I could make it next year, but we probably can't, so it will be a few
years before we can make it back.

Jason Newman
jt...@email.psu.edu

http://www.personal.psu.edu/jtn2.

"Those who think they can, can. Those who think they can't, won't"

author unknown

The beautybeast-tv list FAQ=>http://www.rtchaos.com/zenobia/batb/faq.html

northsider

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

Jason, I think you are typical of a lot of online people. You are
talkative and social enough if the subject interests you; but, you don't
go in for talk just for the sake of talk! :)

Most of you would probably be surprised how quiet I can be! :)
--
=Sandra=
http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/b/m/bmoore3/