Question on phrase

PatK

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97
to bnb

I have a question on a phrase that I've heard here several times. In
the episode A Happy Life, several people talk about 'bowling for
Vincent'. What is this??
PatK
--
You find family wherever people love each other. (Labyrinths)

PDR...@aol.com

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

<<
<< I wondered the same thing when I first saw it mentioned. The only thing
could think of was the scene where Catherine is running through the park
toward Vincent and practically "bowls" him over. I'm still amazed he
didn't
actually fall upon impact. Nah, on second thought...... ;-)

~Lori

Dianne was the first person I noticed who used the phrase 'bowling for
Vincent'. Dianne, darling, could you help us out? Is it referring to this
scene? Thanks!

A-M

Sure, A-M,

The above scene is it. Teri described it perfectly in her post.

One of the things we noticed when I lived in Florida was that a lot of folks
use the same scenes over and over in their music videos. (oh yes, newbies
,there are B & B music videos) We joked about starting a scene reference
guide for when you call your girlfriend on the phone to plan the video . It
would go something like.

#1 "bowling for Vincent" --A Happy Life
#2 "the soul kiss" -- A Happy Life
#3 V & C in bed--- Orphans
#4 Vincent jumping off the threater balony -- "The Hollow Men".
#5 V & C dancing ---"Dead Of Winter"
on & on

Then you can go "When the music says la-la-de-da we put in #1 then we go to
# 45 then # 241." But we only got about 5 done cause by then we got so hot
and bothered we had to go watch the show itself. Everyone knows the "soul
kiss", right? It's the first time you actually throw something at the TV,
right.

Dianne

Janice A Keenan

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

>Everyone knows the "soul
>kiss", right? It's the first time you actually throw something at the
TV,
>right.
>
>Dianne

Something heavy.

~~Janice~~

Janice A Keenan

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

On Tue, 18 Feb 1997 18:07:23 -0500 (EST) Shar...@aol.com writes:
>Janice, your story is GREAT!!!! You did a super job, but you have to
>be the
>one to complete it.......I am anxiously awaiting for the 'rest of the
>story'!

Aaaaaaaaaah! I thought I put this in the disclaimer! You guys are so
great. All I can say is that I'll try. It will be a while, since Cathy
and I are hard at work on a different on (the Rebecca & Pascal one!).
Think you'll be up to another one, Cath? I couldn't do it without the
world's greatest editor... :-)

~~Janice~~

Jayha...@aol.com

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

Dianne (I think):
<Do you remember Claire's 'Vincent on the
<Staircase' painting last year? God, it was great! I couldn't afford to buy
<the original but I got a photo that she sells of her art work. And did
<everyone lift Vincent's towel on the little Vincent statue? It was
<anatomically correct. The life size Vincent doll was cute.

<Does anyone else think it's a good idea to give "virgin " convention goers a
<clue as to what things cost at the cons? Like the average cost of fanzines,
<art work, food, photos of stars, photos of art work, t-shirts, rubber
<stamps, etc.

Lori:
Last year was my first convention and I just couldn't get over all the stuff
to be had! I mean, there are a lot of really talented people out there in
this fandom! I also was quite impressed with Claire's artwork and didn't
bring nearly enough money to buy any of her original paintings, but like you,
grabbed up a few of her (8X10) prints. I think they were about $6 or $7
each. I got the one of Vincent on the staircase in the Chamber of the Winds,
but my favorite was one of the Vincent portraits. It looked like an actual
photo rather than a painting, it was THAT good! Damn, I missed the
anatomically correct Vincent statue in the art show!! I think I wandered
through the art room (Kristopher Gentian's Studio) at least three or four
times while drooling on my bib! Anyway, I mostly bought zines which make for
excellent reading on the trip home (if you can save them without reading them
for that long). I saw new zines anywhere from $15 to $25 (averaging about
$18 - $20???). Used zines, of course, are quite a bit less (look for boxes
full of used zines under the dealers' tables.) Folks, your cash will be gone
in the blink of any eye because you will want a little of everything. Food
suddenly becomes unimportant (gee, breakfast and lunch? or a zine? Hmmmm.
Tough decision!) Here's an idea: Pack your extra zine suitcase full of
snacks, eat them all during the con, then you'll have room for your loot on
the way home! I don't think I'll mention how much stuff goes for in the art
auction. It will blow you away.

~Lori

Janice A Keenan

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

On Tue, 18 Feb 1997 16:39:27 -0500 Aurea Andino <nyte...@rtchaos.com>
writes:

>Welcome Saraf92793!
>
>Aurea

Hi, Sara! That's makes at least two of you, but that's okay.

~~~Janice~~~

Jenny...@aol.com

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

Janice-
If you are referring to the sonnet that follows (boldface text marking words
C actually read in the episode):

Surprised by Joy--impatient as the Wind
I have turned to share the transport--Oh! With whom
But Thee, deep buried in the silent tomb,
That spot which no vicissitude can find?
Love, faithful love, recalled thee to my mind--
But how could I forget thee? Through what power?
Even for the least division of an hour,
Have I been so beguiled as to be blind
to my most grievous loss?-- That thought's return
Was the worst pain that sorrow ever bore,
Save one, one only, when I stood forlorn,
Knowing my heart's best treasure was no more;
That neither present time, nor years unborn
Could to my sight thy heavenly face restore.

Then it is Sonnet XXVII Surprised by Joy--Impatient as the Wind
by William Wordsworth

Is that the one you mean?
Jenny

Aurea Andino

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

> Hi again!
>
> I checked out the wonderful con pictures. Anybody we know?
>
> A-M

I can't put names to most of the faces but /the/Eric Tullis
is there, that handsome devil. :)

I've had the pics since right after the Con in Norfolk. I scanned
them in, put them in the 3 web pages, and had second thoughts
about using them and in time forgot all about them. I've finally
decided to link them in and ask folks if they want to have
their picture there or not.

I didn't say that anywhere on the lh page, did I?
Gotta fix that right away. Good thing you asked.

Aurea

Cathy Moran

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

> << I already told my husband I need to take an extra
> empty suitcase for bringing home all my loot.
>
> 143 days and counting. . .
>
> Cathy >>
>
> <<Extremely good idea! I just bought a big suitcase on wheels so it's easier
> carry back all the zines I buy. Most of my spending money at the cons go to
> zines!
>
> Sandy2 >>
>
>I don't know if this info will help or hurt you in your preparation for the
>con but:

It didn't help or hurt, just got me more excited, it that's possible. :)

>Does anyone else think it's a good idea to give "virgin " convention goers a
>clue as to what things cost at the cons? Like the average cost of fanzines,
>art work, food, photos of stars, photos of art work, t-shirts, rubber
>stamps, etc.

Are you trying to *warn* us of the cost of things so we know to bring ALOT
of money? Okay, I think I'm ready, give us a hint.

> At my first con I had paid for the tickets and room in advance but due to
>some nastiness from my roommate I left for the con with $30 in my pocket,
>that was mainly for food. I didn't get to buy anything but I still had a
>great time, meeting the other fans, working at the con, seeing the stars,
>got to see Ron Perlman late Saturday night wandering the hall of the hotel in
>ratty shorts and a cigar. My photos were my souvenirs, every week for months
>I brought 2 rolls of film. I left for the con with 22 rolls, had 3 left when
>I got home.
>
>Dianne >^..^<

I've already started that, too. I've got six rolls of film just sitting
and waiting for convention. More patiently than I am, I might add. :)

142 days and counting. . .

Cathy

ADavi...@aol.com

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

Lori,

Thank you so very much for the transcript! I missed the show and would have
forever wondered what she said, especially if there was anything BatB!

Your hard work is greatly appreciated!

Thanks again,

A-M

ADavi...@aol.com

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

<< tap:
> It all sounds wonderful - except wait until you're 26 or older for the
> married part :>

I was 24. I don't think you should worry so much about being the right age,
just worry about it being the right man. I'm a firm believer in 'You'll know
when its right'. Don't ask me how, but you will, if it is. There were a
several men before my husband that I thought I could have married, but when I
met Paul, I KNEW it was right. : ) It was good timing too that I was about
to graduate from college.

I think you've got a good head on your shoulders, and a lot of faith. I'm
not worried about you making the right decision. : )

A-M

LBarr...@aol.com

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

Terri I love your list. The first romantic moment came to my mind was
Everything is Everything. I remember stilling in shock as Vincent pulled
Catherine toward him. Knowing that they were going to kiss only to be let
down....hard..

Can I say it too.....Damn that Koslow!!!

Laura

Shar...@aol.com

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

Shar...@aol.com

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

A hardy Welcome!!

Janice A Keenan

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com

On Tue, 18 Feb 1997 23:16:28 -0500 (EST) Jenny...@aol.com writes:
>Janice-

>If you are referring to the sonnet that follows...
<snip>

>Is that the one you mean?
>Jenny

Yes! And it's beautiful. Thank you so much, Jenny.

~~Janice~~

Shar...@aol.com

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97
to beautyb...@rtchaos.com