JonBenet should have her own newsgroup

Melissa Hardie

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

I have been lurking, and occasionally posting, on this news group for over
three years. I am at the point of abandoning it, because it is *very*
difficult to locate anything that is not a Ramsey post, and frankly, I am
sick of this morbid crime and speculation. If you aren't, more power to
you! But please, isn't it time for a separate ng?
Sorry if this is repeating another post. I am finding it impossible to
manage my reading of this group.
Yours beseechingly, Melissa.

--
melissa...@english.su.edu.au
"...Neely O'Hara laughed."

Melissa Hardie

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

Bradley,
thanks, but to me filters are not the point. Since I posted a couple of
hours ago, at a low traffic time in the US, there have been 11 posts which
would not have been filtered out by JonBenet, Ramsey, Colorado, JBR &c,
and 39 out of 60 posts give or take a couple have been JBR related. I will
not use, eg, "autopsy", or "ransom" as a filter word for alt.true-crime,
for obvious reasons.
At this point, I think the weight of interest in the Ramsey case merits a
split. And I think when one in four JBR posts don't have obvious tags,
then the convenience of regular readers is a fair enough issue to raise.
Melissa.

--------------------------------------
Date: 17/2/1997 01:56 PM
To: Melissa Hardie
From: Bradley K. Sherman
In article <melissa.hardie-...@mac15net78-126.arts.su.oz.au>

you write:
>I have been lurking, and occasionally posting, on this news group for over
>three years. I am at the point of abandoning it, because it is *very*
>difficult to locate anything that is not a Ramsey post, and frankly, I am
>sick of this morbid crime and speculation. If you aren't, more power to
>you! But please, isn't it time for a separate ng?
>Sorry if this is repeating another post. I am finding it impossible to
>manage my reading of this group.

You need a better newsreader. There are plenty with filters
that allow you to filter out any article with JBR, Ramsey,
etc in the header or article.

With 16,000,000 hosts on the Internet it's the only route to
travel.

--bks

p.s. I use trn to read the news.

Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 18:55:17 -0800
From: b...@netcom.com (Bradley K. Sherman)
To: melissa...@english.su.edu.au
Subject: Re: JonBenet should have her own newsgroup
Newsgroups: alt.true-crime

melissa...@english.su.edu.au (Melissa Hardie) wrote:

*I have been lurking, and occasionally posting, on this news group for over
*three years. I am at the point of abandoning it, because it is *very*
*difficult to locate anything that is not a Ramsey post, and frankly, I am
*sick of this morbid crime and speculation. If you aren't, more power to
*you! But please, isn't it time for a separate ng?
*Sorry if this is repeating another post. I am finding it impossible to
*manage my reading of this group.
*Yours beseechingly, Melissa.
*
*--
*melissa...@english.su.edu.au
*"...Neely O'Hara laughed."

cyli

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

It'll all go away in a month or so. No reason to start a new group
that'll die as soon as the trial's over.

--
"If I die of curiousity, who will entertain you with naive questions?"

I only answer my mail on an average of once every two months. Be
patient.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli/

KATYMUNGER

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

Melissa,

Starting a new newsgroup is an involved, formal process requiring many
days of discussion (I think 26 or 27 days) on a special newsgroup and a
formal vote. By the time the process was all over with, I suspect interest
in this crime would have died down a lot. Take heart. More topics will
begin popping up soon. In the meantime, I have seen quite a few posts on
other crimes or, better yet -- start some thread sof your own! I am sure
others will jump in.

Melissa wrote:

>>>At this point, I think the weight of interest in the Ramsey case merits
a split. And I think when one in four JBR posts don't have obvious tags,
then the convenience of regular readers is a fair enough issue to raise.
Melissa.<<<

Katy Munger
Your guests will never know....

Matthew Kruk

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

Melissa Hardie wrote:

I second. It's more like a "chat" room.

Melissa Hardie

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

In article <19970217153...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
katym...@aol.com (KATYMUNGER) wrote:

*Melissa,
*
*Starting a new newsgroup is an involved, formal process requiring many
*days of discussion (I think 26 or 27 days) on a special newsgroup and a
*formal vote. By the time the process was all over with, I suspect interest
*in this crime would have died down a lot. Take heart. More topics will
*begin popping up soon. In the meantime, I have seen quite a few posts on
*other crimes or, better yet -- start some thread sof your own! I am sure
*others will jump in.

Thanks for the encouragement, Katy. I hope we won't all be laughing over
this post in a couple of years time, when the civil trial verdict is
handed down :).

I really am not anti-JBR or anything, and admit to reading the JBR/Barbie
posts. Indeed, this thought had struck me too, and I have been referring
to the recent Barbie as JonBenet Barbie. So I am not immune either.

Could I instead ask everyone to consider a uniform header JBR when they
are posting about *just* the Ramsey case? This will allow some foax to
filter if they need to and can. Melissa.

Shendoh

Feb 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/20/97

She *has* her own message board, but it isn't a newsgroup pe se. Here's
the URL.
http://www.bouldernews.com/cgi-bin/forum.cgi?Ramsey

Shendoh

Feb 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/20/97