request for input...preparing to end tx

1 view

Cactus Jammies

Jul 25, 2005, 9:57:46 PM7/25/05
Hey everyone, because I am getting so close to busting out of my prison and
starting a life that I can enjoy with others, I now have to prepare for it
physically by giving up my goofy ever-changeable tx gorge.

My undertanding is that although I lost weight due to lack of caloric input,
it has changed my anxiety levels to extreme hi right now. In losing weight
like that I suppose I increased my dailly dosage in the last month due to my
body's capably handling the higher dosage rate 1200mg that I have been
taking since day one on this experience (!), with routine responses, until
the significant weight loss altered what balance I had. I have not by the
way, lost any muscle mass due to the effects of ketosis, that is not
desirable.

Now what I want to do is build up my protein input, some limited carbs like
whole grains, and fruit (berries now) in preparation for a muscle toning and
breath control stage. I am prepared to do just about everything to get to
the point of manageable everything else right now. mostly. But I want to
start my new life with respect to the vast number of empowering pats on the
back, here in this group, and any help I have provided them, I loved to do
it, believe me. I have also sheer personal support from a number of you, as
I made my way through this change in life appreciation and real goals
selection. You know who you are and you have only encouraged my closet
artist thing, which really helped me open up and make some life changing
observations. Yes, as it was said in this group in just days past, somehow
in the final weeks of treatment, artistic creativity becomes really
important to many of us.

So anyways that is a big chunk and might be riba ridden with too much
analogy but I would expect some of you may want to respond with comments or
questions about my full recovery plan to my brand new life. Any hints
appreciated. My actual physical workout will have to be low impact things
like pool calesthenics, power walking (in stages) and the like. There are
also other considerations going on in the background here which can lead to
anxiety and more mental fog, but time will be looking after that situation,
I am now absolutely certain of that, too.

Thanks for your consideration, everyone!

cactus jammies getting ready to move to the light side.
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

elmoe...@webtv.net

Jul 25, 2005, 10:32:51 PM7/25/05
My recommendation would be to use your retrorockets as you renter the
Earth's atmosphere instead of just slamming down somewhere in the Orals.
A balance of plant and animal protein is preferable while you ease into
your exercise regimen. Break out the fly rod and enjoy a nice glass of
vino with your freshly caught trout. Congrats on making it this
far......but don't let up on beating the dragon with all you've got.
He's a sneaky bastard! Kill!! Kill!! Kill!!
Elmo

http://community.webtv.net/elmoemerson/DocElmosHepFile

http://community.webtv.net/elmoemerson/TheFamilyAlbum

Cactus Jammies

Jul 25, 2005, 10:56:40 PM7/25/05
Elmo,
I think we agree, although my retros are depleted a bit right now. I am
working on that part. And yes, it won't be all animal protein, of course.
Plus the manidtory cruciferous, of course. But low impact break into real
outside life again does take time. I am not in a hurry. Time looks after
itself. Unfortuanetly the comment slamming down in the Orals somewhere is a
bit too cute for me to handle right now, as you might know. Did you mean to
say Urals or am I really missing some sublime message here which has not
been your usual style in this group...fish? maybe sketch. 8-) no banannas.
8-)

with utmost respect, Doc.
Cactus Jammies
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
<elmoe...@webtv.net> wrote in message

elmoe...@webtv.net

Jul 26, 2005, 8:39:46 AM7/26/05
Yep, I was referring to the Urals, but the Ultram pain meds distorted my
thinking process, hence Orals. I noticed a couple of typos on my part,
as well. Am putting away the pain meds today as it's no longer
excruciatingly painful, just really sore. I can handle that. Groggy
and grumpy, ahahahahahah
Elmo
///////////
Elmo,
I think we agree, although my retros are depleted a bit right now. I am
working on that part. And yes, it won't be all animal protein, of
course. Plus the manidtory cruciferous, of course. But low impact break
into real outside life again does take time. I am not in a hurry. Time
looks after itself. Unfortuanetly the comment slamming down in the Orals
somewhere is a bit too cute for me to handle right now, as you might
know. Did you mean to say Urals or am I really missing some sublime
message here which has not been your usual style in this group...fish?
maybe sketch. 8-) no banannas. 8-)
with utmost respect, Doc.
Cactus Jammies
//////////////////////////////////////////////
<elmoe...@webtv.net> wrote in message
My recommendation would be to use your retrorockets as you renter the
Earth's atmosphere instead of just slamming down somewhere in the Orals.
A balance of plant and animal protein is preferable while you ease into
your exercise regimen. Break out the fly rod and enjoy a nice glass of
vino with your freshly caught trout. Congrats on making it this
far......but don't let up on beating the dragon with all you've got.
He's a sneaky bastard! Kill!! Kill!! Kill!! Elmo
http://community.webtv.net/elmoemerson/DocElmosHepFile
http://community.webtv.net/elmoemerson/TheFamilyAlbum

http://community.webtv.net/elmoemerson/DocElmosHepFile

http://community.webtv.net/elmoemerson/TheFamilyAlbum

elmoe...@webtv.net

Jul 26, 2005, 8:42:10 AM7/26/05
Your body will tell you when it's ready to begin a more strenuous
workout. I'm still waiting for mine to give me the message.
ahahahahaha
Elmo
////////////

[...]

Cactus Jammies

Jul 26, 2005, 9:05:44 AM7/26/05
ha ha ha waiting is the hardest part. you can't squeeze time 8-)

cactus jammies
/////////////////////////////
<elmoe...@webtv.net> wrote in message

elmoe...@webtv.net

Jul 26, 2005, 9:21:44 AM7/26/05
Don't look at it as having 6 weeks left, view it as one month and a
half. The end seemed to fly by for me, then I missed feeling shitty.
ahahahahha just kidding.
Yep, there's alot of waiting involved in this process, mostly waiting
for test results after that last dose of riba.
Elmo
///////

http://community.webtv.net/elmoemerson/DocElmosHepFile

http://community.webtv.net/elmoemerson/TheFamilyAlbum

JV

Jul 26, 2005, 12:38:05 PM7/26/05
CJ biting at the bit to health what a nice thought. After tx I started
walking up and down mountains everyday until it was not hard to do any
more. This one road was perfect with the grade. I would even walk up it
backwards sideways till I was skipping up it like a missal, so all my
muscles would come to life, when it all got easy i could walk miles I
was quite impressed. Then I started swimming against the river current
at lake Clementime. I'll be doing that again, once I feel some energy
draining back into me as I been in a convalesce of disorder with this
thyroid disaster and just a flight of stairs is enough for now and
leaves me huffing and puffing. Once you miss your 1st shot its all up
hill. Only 6 more to go and you can come out of the basement at at last.
Your almost there ! :›) Juanita

Cactus Jammies

Jul 26, 2005, 1:30:20 PM7/26/05
Yes, thanks Juanita, and thanks. I am distressed to find you really having
a hard time right now. You're right you tend to get Madd. If there is
anything that I can do to help, let me know, or I will suss it out,
whatever. You have my hotmale address so drop me a line if you wish...

YOU take care! 8-)

cactus jammies
"JV" <Meli...@webtv.net> wrote in message

JV

Jul 26, 2005, 3:04:42 PM7/26/05
Oh CJ I feel mean and very on edge it explains my past few posts of
yesterday their not very good at all..and rather frightful.The thyroid
drugs are kicking in at last it only took almost 3 months. Waking up the
dead is a most unpleasant journey from the hypo state. I even cried,
which is very unusual for me. I never cry and have gone years without
sheading a tear. I will be so glad when its over. I'm trembly and this
is expected. I thought I was going to have a easy time of it being its
been almost 3 months on thyroid meds but their hitting me now big time.
Hope Geb does not take any of my nonsense seriously.
Normally I am not easily aggravated and not a nerves person but waking
up the dead is is a different story all together. I took a valium last
night as I just feel this rage for no real reason at all and it didn't
take much to push me over the edge yesterday. Oh how I hate being sick
and being tortured. Though I will live its just a matter of adjusting to
raising my metabolism its so creepy. Now I know how clocks feel when you
change their time. Your so sweet to notice me out of my ordinary self.
Juanita

Cactus Jammies

Jul 26, 2005, 3:43:16 PM7/26/05
JV, buddy!
If you think that time and patience will evenally do its magic and you will
pass through this eventually, then good luck on you. I think you have a
better chance of getting a bead on things that way, at the end of it. I am
actually trying breathing control excercises (khundalini type I guess) to
try and slow myself down a bit. Then I may find myself more able to focus
better when the changes and recovery things start up around me. get my
drift?

Cactus Jammies

///////////////////////////

kjoh

Jul 26, 2005, 8:27:31 PM7/26/05

Mr. Jammies this is most exciting news. My first happy thoughts were
about how much better you will feel soon, not even about whether you wiped
a virus. A life! Imagine! I am pleased and honored to have looped in with
you virtually in our overlapping tx frames. I too am looking toward what I
can do for myself when tx ends this winter. Ive sifted through reams of
alternative-med and nutrition information, cant remember squat, (...cause
my head is like a sieve...) But what emerges from it all is that the
basic staples of my diet will be shsort grain brown rice, weakish green
tea. Brown rice has very high protien and the best of fiber. I cook it
by rinsing well then simmering in too much water, like pasta, until the
texture is good. Short grain brown rive always cooks and tastes better to
me. My tea preference is from Choice brand organic, Genmaicha. Then
supplement these two things with whatever is on hand. Fresh trout is
exquisite. They are the simplest of foods, humble, nutritious and of
course, easy on the liver. I consider them my basic subsistence foods
going forward. After tx, when my weight rises and stabilizes, I will do
an occasional short juice fast (maybe quarterly?) Starting and finishing
them with rice and tea.

Other ideas forthcoming as I put assemble them. I will probably take milk
thistle, selenium and vitamin e, in moderation. Still working on the
herbal issues.

Kathy
new yahoo email kjohyayhoo at montana snot com

From Cold Mountain Poems, Japan, circa 650 AD, translated by Gary Snyder:

In my first thirty years of life
I roamed hundreds and thousands of miles.
Walked by rivers through deep green grass
Entered cities of boiling red dust.
Tried drugs, but couldn't make Immortal;
Read books and wrote poems on history.
Today I'm back at Cold Mountain:
I'll sleep by the creek and purify my ears.

Cactus Jammies

Jul 26, 2005, 9:27:40 PM7/26/05
Kathi
Your recipe ideas sound like something that I learned from someone years
ago, a Kasha grain over-cooked gruel tea that sounds something like what
you're describing. The chinese eat something protein and dense-carb rich in
the mornings, called Congee, which is a porridge of any number of different
types of local roasted grain, depending on time of year or geophysical
location of the region. They may add dried shrimp, chopped bbq pork, or egg
of some kind, plus anise (five spices powder) or something perfumy like that
to enhance the presentation. I had it once in Victoria (all the dicks in
the police department ate there, I found out. Hardly not doughnuts, tough
guys! ha ha.) I recall it on first taste to be nothing spectacular, but
you spend a little time with it, it seems to please on a few levels, carbs,
proteins, and the like. Sweetish, and the heavier protein for a morning
of walking around for miles (ri) with the water buffalo or working in
mines, whatever.

nice connections, K! 8-)

cactus jammies
/////////////////
"kjoh" <kjno...@notspammontana.com> wrote in message

JV

Jul 26, 2005, 10:23:49 PM7/26/05
Hi CJ I gave up all carbs except 1 banana a day, whole wheat bread and 1
baked potato once a month, have lost 17lbs, I am only away by 13lbs to
return to my normal weight. Lots of fish, shrimp, fruit, lean beef and
no sweets except for the chocolate ice-cream I ate this morning.
I'm much better today thank god, looks like this last dose increase of
thyroid meds has soaked in at last. Don't relish the thought of doing
this every month until I have a mid range FT4 or better and feel
energetic and back to normal, what ever that is. Next time I'm going to
just take valium for the duration of this torture which seems to be
about 5 days I think. Should have marked it down. Well after today you
have only 5 more shots to go I hope. Its been a long road and you have
been a most outstanding patient through it all.
A giant big Hug 4 U Juanita

Cactus Jammies

Jul 26, 2005, 11:04:48 PM7/26/05
8-)

cj---------

"JV" <Meli...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Geb Bixer

Jul 26, 2005, 11:20:24 PM7/26/05
CJ,

Take it easy and re-enter slowly. It's a hot, hot summer.

Geb

Cactus Jammies

Jul 27, 2005, 12:23:04 AM7/27/05
in the shade and cool, man
in the shade

cj-------------
"Geb Bixer" <gbi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

elmoe...@webtv.net

Jul 27, 2005, 7:10:15 AM7/27/05

Re: request for input...preparing to end tx

Group: alt.support.hepatitis-c Date: Tue, Jul 26, 2005, 7:23pm (CDT-2)
From: Meli...@webtv.net (JV)
///////
yep, don't forget the banana!!!

JV

Jul 27, 2005, 10:07:02 AM7/27/05
Elmo I blend my banana with Ice a peach or strawberries a half of cup of
milk and a half of a vanilla instant breakfast. Its a delicious way to
get the banana down. Its keeps my potassium levels up there. In the
philippines I loved the variety of all the different types, some for
frying some for boiling and then the plain eat them now types. Getting
teeth pulled is no fun I hope it is all better soon.
Juanita

Red Dwarf

Jul 27, 2005, 10:58:27 AM7/27/05
Juanita,you were in the Philippines? I was there in 1970, even before
martial law was declared by Marcos. It was a wild and extremely dangerous
place. Subic Bay,Olongapo, I still shudder when I think of it.My stateside
buddies would never believe the escapades, so I never told them. Were you in
the military?
I remember that Susy Q was there not too long ago, and the places I haunted
are now all shopping malls.Who could have guessed?
John

"JV" <Meli...@webtv.net> wrote in message

JV

Jul 27, 2005, 1:26:48 PM7/27/05
Hi John
It was in 1974 and 75 and 80 with First x husband we met in SF he was a
PI citizen. I loved the place, spent lots of time riding water buffalo
in Caloocan city in Baesa, found the hot springs and met people over 100
years old who have been drinking it since birth. It's a enchanting place
from there we went to Mindoro for a month, his birth place. Swam in the
most beautiful places on earth, picked up giant shrimp from where the
river meets the sea while those shrimps were crawling back up river to
escape the salt water. It was Martial Law by then but it never had much
effect out in the lush lands of endless tropical forest where the cops
were your friends imagine that. Fresh baked pondasal bread at 2am was
well worth the wait. I had so much fun there and will return one day. My
oldest daughter was conceived there and born in SF. She speaks 3
languages and has the hot spanish temper like my My Aunt Louise along
and the PI temperament of more spanish so she got a double dose for
sure.. I will be married for ever to Elmore in PI as there is no divorce
still. A really dumb thing to do at 19. Never the less I was speaking
the language, in less than a year well enough to take off and lose them
all when needed. LOL. I went to Olongapo and got clipped by one of those
3rd wheel motor bikes on my leg. Kinda wrecked the day but had a jolly
good time anyway. I really enjoyed my water buffalo and would ride home
for lunch and tire him up in the yard. Then I got the women just don't
do that sort of thing then I learned to ride a motor cycle and got the
women don't do that sort of thing. By the time I left the provence of
Baesa, the women were wearing shorts out side so I did have some impact
there. Then I met AnnMarie blond really light skinned from So Africa
with a English accent they thought we were possessed from our laughing
of hysteria. One day we both disappeared with a invite to this Estate of
endless acreage and spend the day eating more delicious food. The
province was looking for us and thought we had been kidnapped. hehe
but were less than 10 minutes away but surrounded by tall brick walls on
the borders. Was a real learning experience of how material matter is of
no matter. And life is simple. For the first time in my life I gained
some weight the fruits were wonderful with lots of different fish that
tasted like lobsters. Juanita

Jul 27, 2005, 2:58pm (PDT+7) From: sbordo...@hawaii.rr.com
(Red Dwarf)

JV

Jul 27, 2005, 2:23:28 PM7/27/05
Hey CJ & Gib
I can safely report that the storm I was in has passed. Thanks for the
kind words.
I am going to prepare my pipe cause in less than 2 weeks its time to
raise the dose again. I will give out a warning hehe grrrrrr I really
should have not stopped token as it has a way of diminishing these side
effects for the 5 days or so. I think its funny as hell Geb you getting
a kick out of my temper tantrum and enjoying my over the edge insanity
feed back. Your such a damn good sport. I am such a ass. Well from what
I have been told in the thyroid group their words, "Its a rough ride up
and keeping your temper under control is sometimes impossible to do."
This man is hypo so is his wife and their 2 kids. He is quite the
expert. Well weed and valium for sure next time. I forget what it was I
was going to ask you CJ. hmmmmmmmmmm? Oh well hmmm signing off. Oh! how
are you doing on the shot yesterday? I can really feel you biting at the
bit to get to the end chomp chomp. Once you get off the carbs and into
the protein, fresh fruit, tomatoes your gonna feel much better. Make
sure they check your thyroid for antibodies just in case as your will
have a marker for future reference 1/3 get them, some go away some
return and sometimes they do no harm at all. Hoping for your recovery to
be fun your gonna love it.. I can tell..

Juanita

elmoe...@webtv.net

Jul 27, 2005, 7:32:41 PM7/27/05
I've been miserable for days now. I had to drive for about 6 hours
today and as soon as I got home popped an Ultram to take the edge off.
Hope it's better by Saturday....I've got a date with Miss Hotpants.
hehe
Elmo
/////////////

Re: request for input...preparing to end tx

Group: alt.support.hepatitis-c Date: Wed, Jul 27, 2005, 7:07am (CDT-2)
From: Meli...@webtv.net (JV)

http://community.webtv.net/elmoemerson/DocElmosHepFile

http://community.webtv.net/elmoemerson/TheFamilyAlbum

elmoe...@webtv.net

Jul 27, 2005, 7:48:21 PM7/27/05
Please don't ride the water buffalo!!! Being married still.....does
that mean you can't have sex either? Damn!!!!! Are those water buffalo
as well-hung as a quarterhorse? ahahahahahaha
Elmo
(it's the Ultram.....really!)
/////////

http://community.webtv.net/elmoemerson/DocElmosHepFile

http://community.webtv.net/elmoemerson/TheFamilyAlbum

kjoh

Jul 27, 2005, 8:07:57 PM7/27/05
Ultram sucks. Watch out for seratonin tizzies. I had quite a mental
festival the first few weeks of tx plus zoloft plus Ultram. Ultram is a
CNS depressant, but also inhibits seratonin and norepinephrine uptake, so
its got a speedy edge. I stay away from it now. I take Vicoprofen, which
is hydrocodone with ibuprofen, rather than acetamenophen.
Kathy

Cactus Jammies

Jul 27, 2005, 8:12:38 PM7/27/05
Elmo
you should get a date with Mom, I hear she has a mean right cross and she
may just pop it out for you, if you ask.
cj------------
<elmoe...@webtv.net> wrote in message

elmoe...@webtv.net

Jul 27, 2005, 8:47:09 PM7/27/05
They pulled the tooth on Monday, the oral surgeon had a hard time
getting it out and I was awake for the whole procedure. They had to
inject me 4 times before it was numb enough to pull. I was waiting for
the guy to get in the chair and stand on my chest while he was pulling.
My Ultram is wearing off....time to pop another. Shit, I hate taking
this stuff. I"ll be useless at work tomorrow. If Mom didn't pop me in
the mouth when Heidi shit on her kitchen floor, I doubt she will now.
ahahahahaha
Elmo
/////////

http://community.webtv.net/elmoemerson/DocElmosHepFile

http://community.webtv.net/elmoemerson/TheFamilyAlbum

elmoe...@webtv.net

Jul 27, 2005, 8:53:16 PM7/27/05

Re: request for input...preparing to end tx

Group: alt.support.hepatitis-c Date: Wed, Jul 27, 2005, 8:07pm (CDT+1)
From: kjno...@notspammontana.com (kjoh)
//////////
I don't care for any of that crap.....the VA gave me a fistfull of
Ultram for arthritis and I only took one of them before I decided the
stuff wasn't for me. I declined the pain meds offered to me by the oral
surgeon because I already had the Ultram. I don't take enough of it to
worry about your concerns. When the pain is gone, the Ultram goes back
in the medicine cabinet.

JV

Jul 27, 2005, 9:15:32 PM7/27/05
Elmo as a matter a fact I like my water buffalo riding better in the end
than my husband. The water buffalo was a sweet guy he was well over 20
and plowed rice fields 6 days a week his owner was over a 100 years old.
His day off was with me and we went far far away. He only took me to
the mud hole once and a little boy named Juvi knew where I was headed, I
didn't, he came running flew up on that buffalo and fought with Mr.
Buffalo with strong words and a crack of the rope as Mr. Buff really
wanted to go down into the mud. Juvi could not even of been 10 years old
but a real life saver. It was a fun experience siting up there being
saved by a little angel. I took the kid home for lunch and dinner. I
spent much time every week with Mr. Buffalo. Then the family of
religious freaks told hubby that if I got to ride find her a horse. Oh
he did I went for the ride of my life on this horse down hill through
endless rice paddies with nothing more than a rope around his snout type
rein at 50mph. After that I returned to my buffalo and didn't care no
more what the neighbors said or any one else for that matter.. LOL
Juanita

elmoe...@webtv.net

Jul 27, 2005, 11:37:37 PM7/27/05

Re: request for input...preparing to end tx

Group: alt.support.hepatitis-c Date: Wed, Jul 27, 2005, 6:15pm (CDT-2)
From: Meli...@webtv.net (JV)
/////////
You're killing me, JV. ahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://community.webtv.net/elmoemerson/DocElmosHepFile

http://community.webtv.net/elmoemerson/TheFamilyAlbum

Red Dwarf

Jul 28, 2005, 8:12:41 AM7/28/05
You're a riot Juanita. My ex was also a citizen of the P.I., and I learned
all the bad Tagalog words, you know the ones she was always calling me :-)
It can still be dangerous there for U.S. citizens and others as well, at
least in certain parts. Of course, so can N.Y.C. for that matter. In the
P.I. there are the very rich, and the very poor, and all the officials are
as corrupt as can be. For example, if your house is on fire(heaven forbid)
you do not call the fire dept., you call your relatives to protect any
valuables from the fire dept. thieves.They could care less about fighting
your fires, they view it as another opportunity to loot. I'm not bad
mouthing them, this is a well known fact. When my ex wife's sister's house
burned down, they refused to call until their valuables were secured by
relatives. My ex's older brother was a legal adviser to Marcos, then to each
successive president, and is still there, and is so crooked it's
unbelievable. In short, I aint going there anytime soon. One thing I
remember as a teenager there, that is the only place in the world I saw that
had a screen on the juke boxes that played porno to the music. Really. I
stuffed the coin box frequently. :-) If you go to the P.I. reps in S.F. to
obtain a passport, which normally is supposed to cost $80.00, you must pay
them $280.00 or nothing happens. I had to bribe public officials a few times
to get what should have been free. They make our politicians seem honest,
and thats a stretch. I'm glad you had a good time there.
John
p.s. they call them caribou, not water buffalos. We call them water
buffalos.

john

Jul 28, 2005, 8:23:16 AM7/28/05
Hey Cactus,
Congradulations on finishing up with the tx.I hope you are feeling well
and all is good.Sounds like light cardio to get you back on your feet
is a good idea.
Squeeze it easy John

Cactus Jammies wrote:
> Hey everyone, because I am getting so close to busting out of my prison and
> starting a life that I can enjoy with others, I now have to prepare for it
> physically by giving up my goofy ever-changeable tx gorge.
>
> My undertanding is that although I lost weight due to lack of caloric input,
> it has changed my anxiety levels to extreme hi right now. In losing weight
> like that I suppose I increased my dailly dosage in the last month due to my
> body's capably handling the higher dosage rate 1200mg that I have been
> taking since day one on this experience (!), with routine responses, until
> the significant weight loss altered what balance I had. I have not by the
> way, lost any muscle mass due to the effects of ketosis, that is not
> desirable.
>
> Now what I want to do is build up my protein input, some limited carbs like
> whole grains, and fruit (berries now) in preparation for a muscle toning and
> breath control stage. I am prepared to do just about everything to get to
> the point of manageable everything else right now. mostly. But I want to
> start my new life with respect to the vast number of empowering pats on the
> back, here in this group, and any help I have provided them, I loved to do
> it, believe me. I have also sheer personal support from a number of you, as
> I made my way through this change in life appreciation and real goals
> selection. You know who you are and you have only encouraged my closet
> artist thing, which really helped me open up and make some life changing
> observations. Yes, as it was said in this group in just days past, somehow
> in the final weeks of treatment, artistic creativity becomes really
> important to many of us.
>
> So anyways that is a big chunk and might be riba ridden with too much
> analogy but I would expect some of you may want to respond with comments or
> questions about my full recovery plan to my brand new life. Any hints
> appreciated. My actual physical workout will have to be low impact things
> like pool calesthenics, power walking (in stages) and the like. There are
> also other considerations going on in the background here which can lead to
> anxiety and more mental fog, but time will be looking after that situation,
> I am now absolutely certain of that, too.
>
> Thanks for your consideration, everyone!
>
> cactus jammies getting ready to move to the light side.
> ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

john

Jul 28, 2005, 8:30:02 AM7/28/05
Juanita,
i understand your anger but the thyroid meds wont be forever.Things
will get better and you will walk that mountain again. john

elmoe...@webtv.net

Jul 28, 2005, 9:07:53 AM7/28/05

In the P.I. there are the very rich, and the very poor, and all the
officials are as corrupt as can be.

That's a pretty good description of Hawaiian culture, as well.
///////

p.s. they call them caribou, not water buffalos. We call them water
buffalos.

How about 'water caribou' or 'mud asses'?
////////////

http://community.webtv.net/elmoemerson/DocElmosHepFile

http://community.webtv.net/elmoemerson/TheFamilyAlbum

Cactus Jammies

Jul 28, 2005, 9:31:43 AM7/28/05
Thanks John!

8-)
cj--------------cactusjammies at hawt mail dot calm

"john" <otk...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Gordo Mondragon

Jul 28, 2005, 10:13:40 AM7/28/05
CJ -

Based on my experience -

The physical for me came back quickly and it's easy to overdo it. I
threw myself back at the gym because it was so amazing to me the
(relative) stamina I had, and then I got REALLY sore and realized that I
needed to do a lot of stretching and balancing along with the cardio and
weights to prevent injury.

The mental... took a few months. It will probably be very bumpy but my
mistake was to think "now I can do ALL those things I couldn't on tx!".
Which was just wrong. If I had it to do over I'd just chill for a
couple of months. Do the minimal. Smell flowers. Enjoy the taste of
food. Read. Slow, slow, slow. Don't expect to be back to normal for a
while.

My insides were all messed up for a while too, took a while for the
acidophilus to clear things up. In my case, though, I had about a month
to fatten myself up for a visit to my mother on the other side of the
country and I was so skinny I thought I'd scare her. I put on 10lbs
pretty quickly but it was marathon eating.

Congrats on making it through.

Gordo

Cactus Jammies

Jul 28, 2005, 11:42:37 AM7/28/05
Thanks for the tips, Gordo. I haven't written my swan song yet. 8-) I
think that I tend to agree with all of what you've said. I will be learning
w/c field sketching on my little walks. we have green belt walkways around
the edge of the Columbia, where I currently live. I have to learn how to do
that, so it is a good opp.

cheers

cactus jammies
////////////////////////////////////
"Gordo Mondragon" <ga_mon...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

JV

Jul 28, 2005, 1:51:27 PM7/28/05
John at hotmail
Oh I plan to get well and continue forcing this lame ass medical
profession to keep looking into my problems. I'm pretty sure I have a
low adrenal problem which is adding to my thyroid mess. I will know
monday for sure, I hope. With Low adrenal, thyroid drugs make you sick
as hell, The attack I had in June is just like what is happening to
people in the thyroid ng with low adrenals due to lack of lackey dr.s
not doing the appropriate tests first before starting thyroid meds and
treating adrenals first. Several have ended up in the hosp in life
threating situations.
I will be on thyroid meds forever and will neve stop taking them like I
did after tx was done. Interferon fried my thyroid in 2002.
I am learning how to interpret adrenal labs as I only walked around sick
for 2 years with hypo thyroid problems which in fact leaves your
adrenals to be over worked and then depleted. Low adrenals can not use
thyroid meds properly and with out thyroid hormones or meds your body
cannot make cortisol properly and it is a much slower road to recovery.
Its not a wonder, I have been through some stress with tx wanting to
kill me off and all but it didn't. Bwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaa
I have been finding out lots of info on interferon tx and low adrenals.
But I am getting better slowly. I do feel like I am on to something with
this adrenal stuff. Just like I was right about my thyroid all along.
And no longer have much faith in the medical people especially the
Professors of Endocrinology down at UC in Sacramento their at the bottom
of my shit list now since I have had 2 that tried to kill me off 1
during tx and another one in April which said my labs were lab errors.
When my body talks to me I listen. hehe.
Juanita
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
otk...@hotmail.com (john)

JV

Jul 28, 2005, 2:02:25 PM7/28/05
Am glad I'm killing you Elmo. A good laugh is a good laugh. LOL
Juanita

Red Dwarf

Jul 29, 2005, 4:21:46 AM7/29/05
You're right about Hawaiian politicians. In my life I've never seen so much
ignorance and ineptitude. From the Governor down to the guys who are paid to
maintain roads.You would think none of them have never been to the mainland,
and to another state. Only this year did they pass recycling laws, but it is
such a screwed up system as to be unworkable.Hawaii's roads have the worst
striping in America, you cannot tell what the hell lane you should be
traveling in. They have a traffic problem here that is so unmanageable, with
fairly simple solutions. One thing they could do is take a clue from
California and use regulated or metered entrances to the highways. You go
when the light is green. But no. Not here. Only recently did they come into
the real world with the airport signs. In every airport in the country you
have arrivals and departures. Simple enough huh? But no. Not here. They had
ticketing and baggage pick-up. That had people so confused that only after
many,many complaints did they even think of changing the airport signs.
Ticketing and baggage pick-up, give me a break.There are many more similar
issues that I do not even think about it if I don't have to. Oh well, the
weather is great. So great in fact that I have a guilt problem. That is, if
I don't feel, good I stay home, and that is most of the time. Then I look
out the window and think I should be doing something, as its a nice day out.
I pray for rainy days. On this side if Oahu it rarely rains, except for the
winters. On the east side of the island it rains so much that moss and algae
grows everywhere. There is only one other thing I will comment on, then I
will shut up. They do not treat the disabled nearly as well as other
states. For example, you all know I need a hip joint replacement, being
slightly overweight and with no insurance, there is no way to get the
surgery done, so I rely on pain relieving medicines. Well everything is much
more difficult for me. I have a long walk from my parking space to my condo.
Well I have to carry my groceries from the car to the house. This I manage
to do, although with my cane and the sheer pain it is not easy. Well. nobody
ever told me that life would be easy. Even though my neighbors have seen me
drop and sometimes spill my groceries, not a fucking one of them has ever
offered a helping hand. With the exception of a little boy who once asked
me, can I help you mister? This kid was obviously well brought up. I thanked
him, but declined. In this day and age of constant reporting of awful crimes
prevalent in the news, I don't even want to be seen talking to a child.
Well, thanks for letting me vent, as I have almost nobody to talk to. By the
way, one more thing, Yesterday my n/p told me that the blood test I took at
the end of TX came back as undetectable. That is a good thing. The real
proof of success for me will be 5 months from now. Later.
John
<elmoe...@webtv.net> wrote in message

JV

Jul 29, 2005, 12:24:40 PM7/29/05
Hi John on the island.
My other x hubby got a new hip he is a giant in general. they made a
extra nice rotor and cup for him heavy duty. He is 6"2" and weighed in
at 265 large bones and sturdy in general and a gentle giant. His new hip
was great as he could out run me again. Boohoo That part I didn't like
as when I would say something I should not, I could jump out the back
door and run like hell. One day after my leap he was right behind me
laughing his ass off saying, you didn't think I could do this ha ha ha.
I hope you get a new hip one day. Is this why you consider moving back
as in Hawaii they just wont do it for this reason or that.? You deserve
a new hip. Juanita

Red Dwarf

Jul 30, 2005, 4:55:51 AM7/30/05
JV I had no idea that they even come in heavy duty, because I certainly
would fall into that category.Thanks, the VA wont do it as they say I'm too
heavy. I do not have any other insurance, with the exception of Medicare.Are
you kidding, he was able to run after having that joint replaced. It's like
that old story, just before major surgery, a patient said to his doctor"Doc,
will I be able to play the piano after my surgery."The doctor said
"certainly" The patient said "thats great, because I never played one
before". This has gone on since 2001, and getting a little tiresome.
According to the doctor, if we replace that now, you will just wear it out
after a few years.It's a true Catch-22 situation. They wont replace it
because I need to lose more weight. But, I'm having a hard time trying to
lose the friggin weight because of limited mobility. sheesh. What's a boy to
do? I never said I was the sharpest tool in the shed. I guess I have to look
at the bright side,at least I beat hepC. Thats a step in the right
direction. Thanks for asking J.V.
John

"JV" <Meli...@webtv.net> wrote in message

JV

Jul 30, 2005, 1:22:21 PM7/30/05
HI John
His cup or rotor and femur had to be made above standard as he was a
larger boned individual in general. I do believe now they have a
replaceable liner which in 20 years you have it replaced big deal. He
hasn't had his replaced and it has been 18 years. His new hip put him
back on his feet, and back to work. He needs a new on on the other side.
He was in a car wreck and in slamming on the breaks his femur went right
through his pelvis and broke that too. Yes he was held together by
hardware after the wreck when they screwed him back together. 2 years
later he got the new hip due to the fact that he had lost his blood
supply to the femur.Being a big boy he could not bear weight on it for 4
months and then 5 pounds at a time the scale let him know what 5lbs was.
I wish you all the luck in the world on this. Juanita

Red Dwarf

Jul 30, 2005, 11:52:05 PM7/30/05
Thanks JV, I could really use all the luck I can get, as I'm getting
desperate.At least once a day I have talk myself out of overdosing just to
escape the pain. Only a chronic pain patient would understand that. The
feeling of helplessness can sometimes be overwhelming.After being strong and
healthy, and working all my life, this is just too frigging difficult to
deal with. With all the pain meds, it becomes harder to think straight, and
figure out some sort of strategy to overcome this.Any positive feedback
would be appreciated, and not the kind of feedback like"you should be lucky
it's not cancer" yadda,yadda. Thanks
John

"JV" <Meli...@webtv.net> wrote in message

aisle...@yahoo.com

Jul 31, 2005, 12:33:23 PM7/31/05
Red Dwarf wrote:
> Thanks JV, I could really use all the luck I can get, as I'm getting
> desperate.At least once a day I have talk myself out of overdosing just to
> escape the pain. Only a chronic pain patient would understand that. The
> feeling of helplessness can sometimes be overwhelming.After being strong and
> healthy, and working all my life, this is just too frigging difficult to
> deal with. With all the pain meds, it becomes harder to think straight, and
> figure out some sort of strategy to overcome this.Any positive feedback
> would be appreciated, and not the kind of feedback like"you should be lucky
> it's not cancer" yadda,yadda. Thanks
> John

John,
I understand. I also suffer with chronic pain. When it is extremely
bad I get to wondering how I am gonna live like this. I have
neuropathy and it is especialy worse in my arms. It is discouraging to
say the least because almost all activities I have to do require my
arms. Just like you with your hips, I hope things get better for you.
Do you have days that it's not too bad? I do and I think that's what
keeps me going.
eileen

JV

Jul 31, 2005, 2:53:19 PM7/31/05
Hi John in Hawaii
When a condition is out of the scope of VA they are supposed to refer
you out to someone who can deal with it. And their just not doing their
job. VA also has advocates to help you. I run into lots of Vets who have
been referred to UC in Sacramento because they were out of the scope of
VA in helping them. I know pain pills get quite old, why have they not
put you on duragesic patch which can give continuous relief and then
only need the pills for the break through pain? Juanita

Red Dwarf

Aug 1, 2005, 4:19:53 AM8/1/05
No Eileen, unfortunately there are no days that are pain free.On some days
its worst than others. I guess I am stronger that I thought, because in my
stupid youth I seem to remember saying something to the effect of" I'd
rather be dead than crippled". Well something must have changed between now
and then, although ,I'm not quite sure what yet.I understand about
neuropathy, as I have it in my feet. Funny thing is that I'd heard it
described as numbness,if it is numbness, why the heck does it hurt so
much?Sorry about your arms Eileen, do you have diabetes or something like
that?
John
<aisle...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Red Dwarf

Aug 1, 2005, 4:39:00 AM8/1/05
Hi JV, Well when they have to do surgery here, they send you to Palo Alto,
on the Foothills Expressway for those kind of things. I have seen the
Orthopedic Surgeon who does all of the Ortho surgeries for California, and
all of the Pacific area, he is a great guy. I've seen him in San Jose, Palo
Alto, and here in Honolulu.He has literally done thousands of these things,
and if I had my choice of doctors to do it, he would be the one I'd choose.
He doesn't work in a vacuum though, that is he has to answer to some kind of
board to get approval before, and I have been rejected by them, even after
begging them for relief. They have put in another Ortho consult for me, but
I'm not holding much hope now, as these disappointments add up, and have a
cumulative on my general outlook I'm afraid. The consensus is always the
same, at 325 lbs, I'm just not a good candidate for them for that surgery.
When I said I'm willing to risk my life for this, the reply was to the
effect of, yes, but the doctor has to live with himself if something goes
wrong. Shit. Cant win for losing. As for Duragesic patches, have you seen in
the news how many people have died of overdoses from that. It is not well
regulated it seems in the amount that gets in the bloodstream. With my
pills, it helps the pain(but oh man the constipation)and I control the
amount of narcotic at any given time. But if I forget to take a dose, well
lets just say that it is brought to my attention in a manner that is
unmistakable.Thanks JV, because I know you do care, and that in itself
helps. John

"JV" <Meli...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Red Dwarf

Aug 1, 2005, 5:03:46 AM8/1/05
Oh yeah, going for a jitney ride is thrilling, kind of like a ride at a
poorly run amusement park. Imagine a broken down roller coaster, and that
approximates a jitney ride. On the plus side though I learned to eat and
appreciate fish like Tilapia, and smoked boneless Milkfish. But best of all
was the baloot, or balut, not sure which. Those duck eggs were the most
delicious things that I ever had in my mouth. But,you must be almost drunk
to eat them. I'll never forget the first time I had them, I kept saying, you
gotta be kidding, nobody would ever eat that.I mean they are completely
formed baby ducks, with beaks, feet, feathers and all.But after screwing up
the courage to try eating one, I couldn't get enough. There're delicious. No
kidding. If you are ever in the San Jose area, there is the worlds largest
flea market on Berryessa Ave, and there you will find Filipino foods and
delicacies, and you can but balut by the dozen. Sometimes when I knew in
advance when my white or Hispanic buddies were planning a card game, I would
buy some and eat them in front of them, offering them some. No takers ever.
It was funny. The other thing I loved to eat in California was those
delicious tacos from the trucks that prepare and sell them. After trying all
the varieties, the one I loved the best was called sesos. I ate them for
about six months, before asking ,what was I eating? After finding out they
were brains, I thought what the hell. I ate and enjoyed them. Stuff that
happens in real life can be much funnier than anything comic writers can
fabricate. ttfn
John

"Red Dwarf" <sbordo...@hawaii.rr.com> wrote in message

JV

Aug 1, 2005, 7:40:21 PM8/1/05
Hi John N Hawaii
Oh I love tilapia, and really enjoyed the milkfish, there so good. I too
have ate many belouts, Did you ever eat the giant Lanka (jackfruit) or
the chikos, not to mention the star apples?. I really enjoyed to food in
PI. My x is in San Diego. Angela and I go visit him and he makes sure
there is all the goodies I love. We 3 spent christmas in 02 together and
it was quite a fest of Foods. It was endless food. Yep the jitney rides
were always quite reckless since you can drive like a manic there.
I know a lady that is a 100lbs over weight and got a new knee at 70
years old. I don't know what their problem is over there but you must
keep pushing and don't not give up. Some dr. will take this as a
challenge and not bock away. Once you recover from interferon your gonna
feel better and more stable. Hang in there.
Juanita

Aug 1, 2005, 9:03am (PDT+7) From: sbordo...@hawaii.rr.com
(Red Dwarf) Oh yeah, going for a jitney ride is thrilling, kind of

Kozure Ookami

Aug 1, 2005, 11:10:20 PM8/1/05
On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 16:40:21 -0700, Meli...@webtv.net (JV) wrote:

>Hi John N Hawaii
>Oh I love tilapia, and really enjoyed the milkfish, there so good. I too
>have ate many belouts, Did you ever eat the giant Lanka (jackfruit) or
>the chikos, not to mention the star apples?. I really enjoyed to food in
>PI. My x is in San Diego. Angela and I go visit him and he makes sure
>there is all the goodies I love. We 3 spent christmas in 02 together and
>it was quite a fest of Foods. It was endless food. Yep the jitney rides
>were always quite reckless since you can drive like a manic there.
>I know a lady that is a 100lbs over weight and got a new knee at 70
>years old. I don't know what their problem is over there but you must
>keep pushing and don't not give up. Some dr. will take this as a
>challenge and not bock away. Once you recover from interferon your gonna
>feel better and more stable. Hang in there.
> Juanita

Never got drunk enough to try the balut while I was in the PI. Won't
go near the brain tacos anywhere. But I did try snail sushi while in
Japan on a dare.

What I remember about the Jitnet rides in Olongapo was to be ready for
trouble if they suddenly pulled off the main road because there would
be filipinos waiting with knives to rob drunk GIs. Danger was just
part of the fun in the PI.

Red Dwarf

Aug 2, 2005, 2:50:10 AM8/2/05
It sure was Don. You're not kidding about being dangerous in Olongapo, of
course, any place you find large numbers of GI's, there are those who will
profit somehow whether legal or illegal. I can remember them finding
floaters(dead GI's) nearly everyday in shit river.It didn't take me too long
to learn you don't go out and get drunk alone overseas(or here for that
matter). I had one funny experience while in Hong Kong, I needed to buy some
clothes, and hopefully a tailored uniform. That was the place to do that
sort of thing.Well, this clothing store had an open bar, all you wanted to
drink for free, and I bought a pair of shoes there. They looked good, and
felt fine, but the next day(sober) I was unable to get them on at all. They
were at least two sizes too small :-) My bad. I've never heard of snail
sushi, but am willing to try nearly anything. I've always been open to new
experiences. One thing I've learned is that people for the most part will
not eat something if it does not taste good. There are always
exceptions.Those tacos were incredibly delicious,I and ate them before
knowing what they were. The balut took a little more convincing, and are
excellent with beer. There are vendors in the streets yelling balut, balut,
at the top of their lungs. One more weird experience I'd like to share, I
took an R&R in Japan in 1970 at a place called Beppu. It was famous for
their hot springs. It was also the only time in my life where people spat on
me, just for being an American in uniform. This place apparently had not
seen an American serviceman since the second world war. There was some sort
of demonstration, the group I was with was surrounded by the locals and they
spit on us.Ugggh. I still do not take it personally, as they disliked what I
represented, not who I am/was, and do not hold the Japanese responsible.
They were exercising their rights and feelings, after all it is a democracy.
I'm sure you have had some interesting experiences as well. I've heard it
said that "we are the sum of our total experiences". We are not who we were
yesterday, nor are who we will be tomorrow.
John in Honolulu

"Kozure Ookami" <swar...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Red Dwarf

Aug 2, 2005, 3:30:46 AM8/2/05
Hi JV, no I never tried all of the fruits there, but I'd maybe kill for a
good, ripe mango. There heavenly as you must know. We have them here in
Hawaii,many folks have the trees in their yards, and there is one spot in
busy highway H-1 downtown Honolulu where the tree is right over/next to the
highway, and they fall in the street. There's no way to stop there, as it's
too dangerous, plus the pollution from the automotive exhaust sort of makes
them unpalatable to me.
Since I am unable to convince the VA to do the hip surgery for me, I must
explore using my Medicare card, and find someone outside the VA system to do
it. One thing by the way JV and that is, although I have been taking
Synthroid(Thyroxin) for some time, I was told today that my latest blood
tests showed that my thyroid level was too low, I believe she said, and that
my Doc may want to adjust the dosage. However I am unsure of exactly what
effects this has on me. She did say something like it makes it hard to lose
weight, and make me feel low. Heck I am already on two different A-D's. How
much lower can one feel? Hopefully, recovering from TX may cause my outlook
to improve. Thanks JV for sharing, it sounds like we have some stuff in
common. By the way,who is Angela? I don't recall you using the name before,
or perhaps I did and it didn't sink in. You know communicating like this is
good for me, and reminds me that I had/have a life, and have amusing
anecdotes I can talk about. And, a whole bunch of them I can't talk about
:-)
Didn't you have a tooth pulled recently, how is that doing?
John in sunny Honolulu (or darn close to it)

[...]

Whole bunches of stuff deleted, to save those valuable, elusive
electrons........

JV

Aug 2, 2005, 11:03:57 PM8/2/05
Hi John
Hmmm I didn't know you were hypothyroid and not taking combo therapy of
T4 &T3. Synthroid is just T4. Lack of T3 has lead to weight gain and
depression and joint pain for many. There is Armour which has both T4 &
T3 made from pigs and then there is Thyrolar the synthetic which has
both and needs to be in the fridge.. There is also plain old Cytomel T3
pills, Lack of T3 can lead to great depression, no wonder your depressed
and VA let you go down hill. Interferon gives loads of people antibodies
that attack the thyroid. Its definitely time to fix this. We do have a
lot in common :›). Your may even have a conversion problem converting
T4 to T3 as many do and have to take T3 for that reason alone. I take
Armour as I want all the bases covered no mater what. If you rely on
others to manage your thyroid levels they will keep you at low levels
which leads to a feeling of ill health, depression and itching and
more..This explains allot of your mood John. You need to get copies and
start tracking your FT4 and FT3 their probably in the dirt. Until I took
control of my thyroid I was almost dead and would have gone into a colma
by now, being told I was in normal range which I was not from what I
have been learning. It is just not labs its how you feel. Screw labs
those are Endo's that should have been accountants not Dr.s
The 2 persons i know of that were over weight and got a hip and a knee
had it done through Kaiser one Dr. was educated at UC in Sac. I would
look into this and apply for Medical to pick up the rest that medicare
wont.
Angela is my oldest, made in the Philippines. hehe. Elmo had the tooth
pulled and has been wining ever since and probably has a dry socket.
Hopefully he is better by now. Your had a life and now that your
recovering from tx, you need to get your thyroid in a higher range. If
you have been on Synthroid it is likely adding to your depression big
time.. You need the book Living well with Hypothyroidism wrote by Mary
Shomon it explains all about T3 and lots on the net abot T3 and her ng
that I go to every day she also has a site in about.com.
Good luck and get feeling better. Juanita

Aug 2, 2005, 7:30am (PDT+7) From: sbordo...@hawaii.rr.com
(Red Dwarf) Hi JV, no I never tried all of the fruits there, but I'd