Increased Brain Iron Deposition In Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus

ironjustice

Oct 23, 2020, 8:16:43 AM10/23/20
Increased Brain Iron Deposition in the Putamen in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Detected by Quantitative Susceptibility Mapping
Jing Li 1, Qihao Zhang 2, Nan Zhang 3, Lingfei Guo 3
J Diabetes Res
2020 Sep 25;2020:7242530. doi: 10.1155/2020/7242530. eCollection 2020.
PMID: 33062715 PMCID: PMC7533753 DOI: 10.1155/2020/7242530
Free PMC article
Abstract
Background: The underlying brain structural changes in type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) patients have attracted increasing attention. The insulin-resistant state causes iron overload in neurons and leads to lesions in the central nervous system. Quantitative susceptibility mapping (QSM) can provide a noninvasive quantitative analysis of brain iron deposition. We aimed to compare the difference of brain iron deposition in the gray matter nucleus between T2DM patients and healthy elderly individuals using QSM.

Methods: Thirty-two T2DM patients and thirty-two age- and gender-matched healthy controls (HCs) were enrolled in this research. Twenty-three patients and twenty-six HCs underwent cognitive assessments. Brain QSM maps were computed from multiecho GRE data using morphology-enabled dipole inversion with automatic uniform cerebrospinal fluid zero reference algorithm (MEDI+0). ITK-SNAP was used to measure the susceptibility values reflecting the content of iron in the regions of interest (ROIs).

Results: The study included thirty-two T2DM patients (20 males and 12 females; mean age of 61.09 ± 9.99 years) and 32 HCs (14 males and 18 females; mean age of 59.09 ± 9.77 years). These participants had no significant difference in age or gender (P > 0.05). Twenty-three patients with T2DM (11 males and 12 females; mean age, 64.65 ± 8.44 years) and twenty-six HCs (14 males and 12 females; mean age, 62.30 ± 6.13 years) received an assessment of cognitive function. T2DM patients exhibited an obviously (t = 3.237, P = 0.003) lower Montreal Cognitive Assessment (MoCA) score (26.78 ± 2.35; HCs, 28.42 ± 0.64; normal standard ≥26) and a higher Stroop color-word test (SCWT)-C score [87(65,110); HC, 63(60,76.75), Z = -2.232, P = 0.003] than HCs. The mean susceptibility values in the putamen appeared obviously higher in T2DM patients than in HCs (t = -3.994, P < 0.001). The susceptibility values and cognitive assessment scores showed no obvious association (P > 0.05). However, an obvious correlation was observed between the changes in the susceptibility values in the putamen and the thalamus/dentate nucleus (r = 0.404, P < 0.001; r = 0.423, P < 0.001).

Conclusion: T2DM patients showed increased susceptibility values in the putamen and had declines in executive functions, but the linear association between them was not statistically significant. Changes in susceptibility values in the putamen indicated increased iron deposition and might be used as a quantitative imaging marker of central nervous system injury in T2DM patients. QSM might be able to help probe micro neuronal damage in gray matter and provide information on diabetic encephalopathy.

Copyright © 2020 Jing Li et al.

------------------

“Reduction of the body iron stores can improve hyperandrogenemia and insulin resistance”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6716867

Who loves ya.
Tom

Jesus Was A Vegetarian!
http://tinyurl.com/2r2nkh

Man Is A Herbivore!
http://tinyurl.com/a3cc3

DEAD PEOPLE WALKING
http://tinyurl.com/zk9fk

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

Oct 23, 2020, 10:49:50 AM10/23/20
Tom (aka ironjustice) wrote:

> Increased Brain Iron Deposition in the Putamen in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Detected by Quantitative Susceptibility Mapping
> Jing Li 1, Qihao Zhang 2, Nan Zhang 3, Lingfei Guo 3
> J Diabetes Res
> 2020 Sep 25;2020:7242530. doi: 10.1155/2020/7242530. eCollection 2020.
> PMID: 33062715 PMCID: PMC7533753 DOI: 10.1155/2020/7242530
> Free PMC article
> Abstract
> Background: The underlying brain structural changes in type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) patients have attracted increasing attention.
> The insulin-resistant state causes iron overload in neurons and leads to lesions in the central nervous system.
> Quantitative susceptibility mapping (QSM) can provide a noninvasive quantitative analysis of brain iron deposition.
> We aimed to compare the difference of brain iron deposition in the gray matter nucleus between T2DM patients and
> healthy elderly individuals using QSM.
>
> Methods: Thirty-two T2DM patients and thirty-two age- and gender-matched healthy controls (HCs) were enrolled in this research.
> Twenty-three patients and twenty-six HCs underwent cognitive assessments. Brain QSM maps were computed from multiecho GRE data
> using morphology-enabled dipole inversion with automatic uniform cerebrospinal fluid zero reference algorithm (MEDI+0).
> ITK-SNAP was used to measure the susceptibility values reflecting the content of iron in the regions of interest (ROIs).
>
> Results: The study included thirty-two T2DM patients (20 males and 12 females; mean age of 61.09 ± 9.99 years) and
> 32 HCs (14 males and 18 females; mean age of 59.09 ± 9.77 years). These participants had no significant difference in age
> or gender (P > 0.05). Twenty-three patients with T2DM (11 males and 12 females; mean age, 64.65 ± 8.44 years) and
> twenty-six HCs (14 males and 12 females; mean age, 62.30 ± 6.13 years) received an assessment of cognitive function.
> T2DM patients exhibited an obviously (t = 3.237, P = 0.003) lower Montreal Cognitive Assessment
> (MoCA) score (26.78 ± 2.35; HCs, 28.42 ± 0.64; normal standard ?26) and a higher Stroop color-word test (SCWT)-C
> score [87(65,110); HC, 63(60,76.75), Z = -2.232, P = 0.003] than HCs. The mean susceptibility values in the putamen
> appeared obviously higher in T2DM patients than in HCs (t = -3.994, P < 0.001). The susceptibility values and cognitive
> assessment scores showed no obvious association (P > 0.05). However, an obvious
> correlation was observed between the changes in the susceptibility values in the putamen and the
> thalamus/dentate nucleus (r = 0.404, P < 0.001; r = 0.423, P < 0.001).
>
> Conclusion: T2DM patients showed increased susceptibility values in the putamen and had declines in executive functions,
> but the linear association between them was not statistically significant.

Iow, iron deposition in the putamen of diabetics does not appear to
correlate with declines in executive functions.

> Changes in susceptibility values in the putamen
> indicated increased iron deposition and might be used as a quantitative imaging marker of central nervous system injury
> in T2DM patients. QSM might be able to help probe micro neuronal damage in gray matter and provide information on diabetic encephalopathy.
>
> Copyright © 2020 Jing Li et al.

In the interim, I am simply wonderfully hungry (
http://bit.ly/RapidTestCOVID-19 ) and hope you, Tom, also have a
healthy appetite too.

So how are you ?

HeartDoc Andrew <><
--
Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
and author of the 2PD-OMER Approach:

ironjustice

Oct 23, 2020, 6:56:37 PM10/23/20
'Iow, iron deposition in the putamen of diabetics does not appear to
correlate with declines in executive functions.'

Which is why I included the study showing increased iron correlates to insulin resistance, and hyperandrogenemia, governed by iron, evidenced by, reduction by phlebotomy, simple bloodletting, being just as effective for those requiring hormone replacement therapy, or those with polycystic ovary syndrome, the number one cause of infertility in woman, being 'just as effectively treated' by bloodletting, when compared to standard of care, drugs.
Chicken or the egg .. and it seems iron, then the egg ..

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD

Oct 23, 2020, 7:46:01 PM10/23/20
Tom (aka ironjustice) wrote:
> 'Iow, iron deposition in the putamen of diabetics does not appear to
> correlate with declines in executive functions.'
>
> Which is why I included the study showing increased iron correlates to insulin resistance, and hyperandrogenemia, governed by iron, evidenced by, reduction by phlebotomy, simple bloodletting, being just as effective for those requiring hormone replacement therapy, or those with polycystic ovary syndrome, the number one cause of infertility in woman, being 'just as effectively treated' by bloodletting, when compared to standard of care, drugs.
> Chicken or the egg .. and it seems iron, then the egg ..

Taking your trying to refute observed the lack of correlation between
iron deposition and loss of function to mean "yes, you have a healthy
appetite," I remind you, Tom, that it's really Wonderful (Isaiah 9:6)
knowing through our hunger (Deuteronomy 8:3) that we're both being
blessed right now as it's written in the Gospels in red&white at Luke
6:21 **and** according to pure logic {{healthy=wonderful &
appetite=hunger}} and advise that you try to write that you're
"wonderfully hungry" since we've re-established here that you are:

So now how are you ?