ATTN: People who responded to the "enough gay stories" posts.

tom__...@hotmail.com

May 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/11/97

Dear Defenders of Gay Rights, The two original posts with the subject
"Enough with the gay stories" were obviously not "homophobic" posts. I,
for one, am shocked by the responses to my post on the topic. How could
you have misinterpreted my post so badly? When I posted, my message had
nothing to do with gay rights. Of course, you have the right to post
anything you want. That's not the point of all this. The point is that
I had to wade through 70 gay fanfic stories, only to find 1 hetero story
and it was a repost. The newsreader I use does not include the complete
subject heading for posts, and not all posters bother to put the
relationship notation in the subject line, so it was practically
impossible for me to know ahead of time. So instead, I was forced to
wade through 70 messages, without finding suitable reading material (I
apologize to all of you that put work into the slash stories, but they
simply make me nauseous. That's why I try to avoid reading them.) I
asked for more heterosexual stories, because I couldn't find anything to
read. I don't care if you want to write gay stories all day long. My
question remains "Why aren't there more heterosexual fanfic?" Surely,
not everyone on this newsgroup is writing only gay stories. Next time,
please think twice before you start screaming "HOMOPHOBE" at the top of
your lungs. Find a real target, not someone who's just asking a simple
question. Are you all really so paranoid as to attack any heterosexual
person who asks a question?

Joyce Harmon

May 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/12/97

In article <8634081...@dejanews.com>, tom__...@hotmail.com says...

> Dear Defenders of Gay Rights, The two original posts with the subject
>"Enough with the gay stories" were obviously not "homophobic" posts. I,
>for one, am shocked by the responses to my post on the topic. How could
>you have misinterpreted my post so badly? When I posted, my message had
>nothing to do with gay rights.

No, you were just telling people what they can and can't post to the
newsgroup, that's all.

>Of course, you have the right to post
>anything you want. That's not the point of all this.

Well, gee willikers, Tommy, *however* could we have gotten such a mistaken
impression?! Could it have something to do with your subject line? Rather
than a positive subject line such as "More Hetero Stories, Please" (the
'please' is a nice touch, don't you think?), you came out with a blanket
prohibition - "enough with the gay stories!"

>The point is that
>I had to wade through 70 gay fanfic stories, only to find 1 hetero story
>and it was a repost. The newsreader I use does not include the complete
>subject heading for posts, and not all posters bother to put the
>relationship notation in the subject line, so it was practically
>impossible for me to know ahead of time. So instead, I was forced to
>wade through 70 messages, without finding suitable reading material (I

It's a shame that your newsreader doesn't include the entire subject line.
But once you open the message, the type of story is always clearly marked
in the header, so you don't really *have* to read the entire story. (Poor
baby, I wish someone had explained this to you before you were *forced* to
read 70 slash stories.)

And, of course, there's always the option of getting a different
newsreader.

>apologize to all of you that put work into the slash stories, but they
>simply make me nauseous. That's why I try to avoid reading them.) I
>asked for more heterosexual stories, because I couldn't find anything to
>read. I don't care if you want to write gay stories all day long. My
>question remains "Why aren't there more heterosexual fanfic?"

As others have pointed out, there has been plenty of heterosexual fanfic
posted in the last few weeks - J/C, P/C, O/K, and many others. If you
somehow missed them, check deja news or the archives.

> Surely,
>not everyone on this newsgroup is writing only gay stories. Next time,
>please think twice before you start screaming "HOMOPHOBE" at the top of
>your lungs. Find a real target, not someone who's just asking a simple
>question. Are you all really so paranoid as to attack any heterosexual
>person who asks a question?

Well, Tommy, I'm a heterosexual person who does think your posting here
smacks of homophobia. Because you seem to have completely ignored the
stuff you *claim* to be looking for, and zeroed in on the stuff you claim
to abhor. And, contrary to what you're saying now, you were *not* "asking
a simple question", but making a outright demand that certain types of
stories not be posted here.

Joyce

Brian Betty

May 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/12/97

The observation that stories are divided by het/non-het in itself is a
leading comment; I apologise if you are offended as half as much as I was
by your post (and several followups). I will note that I still find the
notion that queer people are some You People offensive and homophobic...
not the same way that gay-bashers are - but consider what your assumptions
are when you say that, Tom. Who assumes that gay people don't like and
write HetSmut? And that str8s the same for queer TrekSmut? And WHY do we
need to compartmentalise? If you really are interested, then see ASCE,
which labels their archive in inventive ways that includes "Het." I again
am sorry you were upset by the reaction of people on this site, but the
post was a little to close for comfort for many of us. Our posts weren't
about gay rights, either... they were simply a note that people were
offended by your snippy comments on homosmut. It's allowed, so stop
bitching about our sexuality, was the message *I* got from them.

Final word: if you like heterosmut, then write some. It's the best
way to ensure you get it.

Brian

: http://www.dejanews.com/ Search, Read, Post to Usenet

--
Brian Betty
Dunster House!!

LuvDS9

May 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/13/97

tom__...@hotmail.com writes:

>>How could you have misinterpreted my post so badly? When I posted, my
message had nothing to do with gay rights.<<

Then in the same post adds:

>> I was forced to wade through 70 messages, without finding suitable
reading material (I apologize to all of you that put work into the slash
stories, but they simply make me nauseous. That's why I try to avoid
reading them.)<<

the very fact that you seem to find slash fiction "unsuitable" is
offensive in and of itself. Who are you to judge it? I think the tone of
your commentary is what people object to. Why can't people offended by a
certain genre (whether it's slash or bdsm or Mary Jane stories) write a
civil post? Instead of saying "Enough with all the [fill in the blank]
stories!" why can't they write: I really like [fill in the blank]
stories, but I haven't seen very many of them lately. Does anyone know
where I might find some? Much obliged.

See the difference in tone? One is offensive. The other would net you
much better and more cooperative results, guaranteed!

As for why there aren't that many heterosexual stories -- fanfic writers
write about what *they* like to read. Which is why demanding to know why
there aren't that many is also just a little offensive. You are, in
effect, questioning fanfic writer's choices and preferences. No one likes
their choices or preferences questioned.

So if you like het-fanfic and want more, then write to the authors you've
found you like and share your ideas with them. Many authors like getting
new ideas and some will even write a specific story if you have a certain
scenario in mind. The last option is to write it yourself.

Posting demanding and nasty commentary, like your:

>> Are you all really so paranoid as to attack any heterosexual
person who asks a question?<<

isn't really very effective and will only perpetuate a circle of flames.
Most of the fanfic writers I know, het, bi or gay are not paranoid. By
and large, asc *is* highly united and tries to act in a cooperative and
encouraging manner.

luvDS9
"Walk with the Prophets." old Bajoran blessing
"Walk with the Profits." old Ferengi blessing

Nir Levy

May 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/13/97

luv...@aol.com (LuvDS9) saw fit to bestow on us:
> tom__...@hotmail.com writes:

come on, I've been readin this newsgroup for sometime now
and I must agree that there are (much) more gay then
other types of stories. I also don't like gay stories
(yes,yes, I'm one of the few heteros out there ;-) so
I J U S T D O N ` T R E A D T H E M !

there's nothing to it, when I see P/Q header (e.g) I assume
it's Picard/Q and just DON'T DOWNLOAD THE STORY.

What i don't do is complain and insult the people
who wrote/read these stories because THEY HAVE EVERY
F*^KING RIGHT To DO SO.

I *am* sorry for the harsh language but I'm still getting
mad hearing people that cannot handle a newsreader
blaim all thier problems on the people who post.

Get a better newsreader! (forte free agent for windows
,tk-news for X, tin for dumbterms)

yours
/NL
---------------------------------
The above opinions are my own,
not my employer's. NL
---------------------------------

Aleph Press

May 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/13/97

Brian Betty (bpb...@fas.harvard.edu) wrote:
: The observation that stories are divided by het/non-het in itself is a

: leading comment; I apologise if you are offended as half as much as I was
: by your post (and several followups). I will note that I still find the
: notion that queer people are some You People offensive and homophobic...
: not the same way that gay-bashers are - but consider what your assumptions
: are when you say that, Tom. Who assumes that gay people don't like and
: write HetSmut? And that str8s the same for queer TrekSmut? And WHY do we

The vast majority of all slashfic is written by straight or bisexual
women. (In fact, off the net, the vast majority is written by straight
women. There seems to be an enormous demographic of bi chicks on the net
writing slash, there are some lesbians, probably about as many gay or
bi men as lesbians, and then that ultra-rare category, the stright male
slash writer. In fact I think Macedon is the only straight male I've
heard of who's written m/m-- anyone else want to step up and claim the
honor?)

Slash writers tend to be pro-gay, because it would really be quite
disgusting if slash writers used men having homosexual liasions as a way
to turn themselves on but then denigrated real-life homosexuals. However,
most aren't gay, and if they are gay, they're likely to be gay women
(which most heterosexual males have less of a problem with than gay men.)

--
"These are only my opinions. If they were the gospel truth, your bushes
would be burning." -- Nancy Lebowitz button

"Freedom of religion includes freedom from religion." -- My favorite
bumper sticker

-- Alara Rogers, Aleph Press
al...@netcom.com

All Aleph Press stories are available at ftp.netcom.com /pub/al/aleph.

JWinterEsq

May 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/13/97

>That's not the point of all this. The point is that
>I had to wade through 70 gay fanfic stories, only to find 1 hetero story
>and it was a repost.

Why did you read 70 gay stories if they offend you so much. And my
newsreader sucks, too, but I don't bitch about missing subject lines.

Look, I hate to tell you this, but in the ancient days, people had to get
up to change the channel, didn't have computers, and had to get their news
from these tabloids printed on cheap paper with odd names like "Post" and
"Times" and "Gazette". Phones were these big black things with a dial and
wired into the wall. And you had to shift gears yourself in your car. I'm
so sorry that you have to go through the ordeal of opening a post and
reading the subject line. Jeez, you must really be run ragged by this
hardship. Tell your grandkids while you let them know that you had to
ride a bus ten miles to school.