Stargazer and anime kit bits

Fribble & Co. <Jane Bierce family>

Dec 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/24/97

Lauren,

There are resin conversion kits available to convert the AMT Enterprise
1701-A (movie type) kit into Stargazer. In fact, I used to see these
frequently in hobby stores in Tampa when I used to live there. It would
be considerably less work than finding anime kits to use for spare
parts. The only Crusher Joe "tank" kit is Takara's "Galleon", which was
imported by Twentieth Century Imports in the '80s. This kit was also
reboxed by FASA for BattleTech, but this version is very rare now.
Valkyries from Macross come in many sizes, from Nichimo's 1/200 scale
thru IMAI/Bandai's 1/72 scale. And Gundam--don't get us started!

Stephen Bierce

Thor Intrepid

Dec 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/24/97

I live in Orlando. Are there any stores in Tampa that may have the odd
mecha model?

THE MIGHTY THOR

Fribble & Co. <Jane Bierce family>

Dec 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/25/97
to thor_i...@netwide.net

Thor Intrepid wrote:

> I live in Orlando. Are there any stores in Tampa that may have the odd
> mecha model?

Two places I can recommend: Merlin's Books on Fowler Avenue near the
University Mall, and a place in Clearwater along Fort Harrison called
House of Hobbies. Hank's Hobbies on Waters in Tampa used to carry
mecha, but I've heard they went out of business after I left Tampa for
Knoxville. (Doesn't that suck?)

Stephen Bierce

Rick Sternbach

Jan 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/2/98

> Fribble & Co. wrote:
> >
> > Lauren,
> >
> > There are resin conversion kits available to convert the AMT Enterprise
> > 1701-A (movie type) kit into Stargazer. In fact, I used to see these
> > frequently in hobby stores in Tampa when I used to live there. It would
> > be considerably less work than finding anime kits to use for spare
> > parts. The only Crusher Joe "tank" kit is Takara's "Galleon", which was
> > imported by Twentieth Century Imports in the '80s. This kit was also
> > reboxed by FASA for BattleTech, but this version is very rare now.
> > Valkyries from Macross come in many sizes, from Nichimo's 1/200 scale
> > thru IMAI/Bandai's 1/72 scale. And Gundam--don't get us started!
> >
> > Stephen Bierce
>

> I live in Orlando. Are there any stores in Tampa that may have the odd
> mecha model?
>

> THE MIGHTY THOR

The fun thing about the Stargazer is that Greg Jein used a larger scale
Macross kit for some of the parts required for the 4-footer shooting
miniature; I used a smaller scale kit for the desktop model in Picard's
ready room. Greg had to scratchbuild the other anime bits, course, but it
was nice to be able to tell him which Macross parts were used. In fact,
another Valkyrie kit came in handy when Captain Garrett was killed aboard
the Enterprise-C; the thing sticking out of her head was a VF-1 wing.

I dont recall the *exact* Orguss and Gundam kits I canibalized, but I do
recall that the Gundam kit was molded in lime green and black, and had
some kind of octopus tentacles. The Crusher Joe "Galleon" came in a tiny
cardboard box and was part of a series along with the fighters.

Rick

Prabal Nandy

Jan 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/4/98

In article <rsternbach-02...@pool044-max5.so-ca-us.dialup.earthlink.net>,

>The fun thing about the Stargazer is that Greg Jein used a larger scale
>Macross kit for some of the parts required for the 4-footer shooting

Cool! Let's see here, a 1/72 scale valk stands about, oh a foot tall..
If you used leg parts or so, that's about 1/8th of the full size of the
Stargazer. Hmm.. Secondary hull components?

>miniature; I used a smaller scale kit for the desktop model in Picard's
>ready room. Greg had to scratchbuild the other anime bits, course, but it
>was nice to be able to tell him which Macross parts were used. In fact,

Pretty neat! You guys keep a box of these kinds of parts sitting around?
(I do as well, but I don't do much space ship scratchbuilding anymore...
My friend Aaron's favorite scratchbuilding component next to airplane
parts and bomb casings is lots of _thick_ paint laid down in layers until
it fills discontinuities like putty and gives things a 'technorganic'
look!)

>another Valkyrie kit came in handy when Captain Garrett was killed aboard
>the Enterprise-C; the thing sticking out of her head was a VF-1 wing.

EEEWWW! That's disgusting!
Heh heh... Wouldn't Rick Hunter be proud? GRIN.

>I dont recall the *exact* Orguss and Gundam kits I canibalized, but I do
>recall that the Gundam kit was molded in lime green and black, and had
>some kind of octopus tentacles. The Crusher Joe "Galleon" came in a tiny

Tentacles? Lime Green and Black? That does _not_ sound like any Gundam
kit I've ever seen (and I have a catalog of all of them) A matter of fact,
it sounds a little more like an Ideon kit. The best Gundam matches is
either one of the original MSG kits (Reddish orange with four wierd wiggly
claw/fingers), the ZG Nemo (Humanoid, lime green and dark blue, no
tentacles), MSG Zugock (Purple and black with claws)... But in general,
Gundam kits don't have tentacles!

Speaking of lime green and black... seen the new Evangeleon models? Lime
green, black and purple... nasty colors on a _scary_ robot!

>cardboard box and was part of a series along with the fighters.

Right, hard to find these days but I have my secret stash! Crusher Joe
kits, especially the aircraft and spacecraft, were pretty darn futuristic
and sleek, even for our time! And they came out over a decade ago!

-Probe

Actually, one of them bears striking resemblance to a neural net
controlled drone fighter I've seen under testing...

--
\~~~~~\__ ~~\___/~~ __/~~~~~/ /pr...@sunset.bph.jhu.edu\ Lord of the Flies
~<==\__\_<O\:/O>_/__/==>~ /www.dragonfire.net/~jhfong\ 1st MPC Division