finding an address for a thief

Pami1968

Mar 1, 2001, 10:51:00 AM3/1/01
I am not quite as computer-savvy as many of the people here, so I was
wondering, how do I go about finding the email address for a site that has
published my stories without my permission. If you can find it for me, great!
And if you can give me a quick lesson on finding it myself, even better! The
site is www.xtremeheat.com.

-Pami

See-El

Mar 1, 2001, 11:30:00 AM3/1/01
Pami wrote:

Two addresses for WHOIS are:

http://www.networksolutions.com/cgi-bin/whois/whois/

http://www.opensrs.org/whois/index.shtml

The database has been split, so sometimes you have to try the
secondary link.

Put the last part of the URL in the box and press enter.

http://www.networksolutions.com/cgi-bin/whois/whois/?STRING=xtremeheat.com&STRING=Search

Registrant:
Gary S. Kadet (XTREMEHEAT-DOM)
PO Box 682
Cambridge, MA 02140 US

Domain Name: XTREMEHEAT.COM

Administrative Contact, Billing Contact:
Kadet, Gary (GK2820) kad...@AOL.COM
Gary Kadet
P.O. Box 682
Cambridge,, MA 02140
617-491-8133
Technical Contact:
Customer domain service (CD308-ORG) an...@ABILITY.NET
AccessAbility Internet Services, Inc.
P.O. Box 534
Alameda, CA 94501 US
301-983-3547 Fax- 555-555-5555

Record last updated on 01-Nov-2000.
Record expires on 13-Oct-2001.
Record created on 13-Oct-1998.
Database last updated on 28-Feb-2001 22:38:04 EST.

Domain servers in listed order:

SCA02.SEC.DNS.EXODUS.NET 209.1.235.120
SCA03.SEC.DNS.EXODUS.NET 216.32.126.150

Administrative contact is there. Sometimes the Administrative
contact are the same people, but here it appears to be another
company providing Web hosting for them. Contact information
from their home page gives this link:

http://www.ability.net/contact.html

If they were to be uncooperative, you could try going upstream
by looking up their domain servers in WHOIS. Sometimes the
same people own their own domain servers, in that case you
would look up the dotted quad with ARIN, or APNIC, or RIPE:

http://www.arin.net/whois/arinwhois.html

http://www.apnic.net/apnic-bin/whois.pl

http://www.ripe.net/cgi-bin/whois

Those databases are also being broken up amongst various
countries, but these tools should take care of almost
everything.

See-El

moeb...@hotmail.com

Mar 1, 2001, 4:56:00 PM3/1/01
while barking at the mooon On 01 Mar 2001 15:51:00 GMT,
pami...@aol.com (Pami1968) typoed:

www.xtremeheat.com

[...]

pammi i suggest you complain to the upstream in this case exodus
rather than kadet

See-El

Mar 1, 2001, 10:44:18 PM3/1/01
moebius8 wrote:

> pammi i suggest you complain to the upstream in this case exodus
> rather than kadet

I disagree.

Exodus is often unresponsive in the best of times. Ability.net
is the site provider, and they should be the first contact.

This link was pointed out to me:

http://www.enterprise.southofboston.com/display/inn_news/News/news01.txt

While false information can be used to register sites, I think
that this is the same person.

See-El

Pami1968

Mar 5, 2001, 10:26:18 PM3/5/01
>> pammi i suggest you complain to the upstream in this case exodus
>> rather than kadet
>
>I disagree.
>
>Exodus is often unresponsive in the best of times. Ability.net
>is the site provider, and they should be the first contact.

Well, I tried Kadet first, wanting to play nicey-nice. No response. Twice.
Big Surprise.

I have now sent email to Ability.net. I am interested to see how they resolve
the matter.

Thanks for your help and advice!

-Pami