New free open-source on-the-fly encryption system for Windows XP/2000/98 released

TrueCrypt Team

Feb 2, 2004, 9:06:45 AM2/2/04

TrueCrypt 1.0 Released

February 2, 2004

We are proud to announce that TrueCrypt 1.0 has been released today.
To our best knowledge, it is currently the only free open-source
on-the-fly encryption software capable of encrypting partitions
larger than 2 GB under Windows XP/2000. On Windows XP/2000, it is
also the only open-source on-the-fly encryption system that offers
plausible deniability. It can either encrypt entire partitions or
devices, or it can create virtual encrypted disks within files.
TrueCrypt is based on (and might be considered a sequel to) a
discontinued product called Encryption for the Masses (E4M) by Paul
Le Roux. The differences between E4M and TrueCrypt include plausible
deniability, Windows XP support, significant increase in the volume
size limit, improved sector scrambling algorithm and many more.
For more information, please visit www.truecrypt.org

howamidifferent

Feb 2, 2004, 10:35:35 AM2/2/04
Downloading and testing asap... :-)

"TrueCrypt Team" <tmp...@truecrypt.org> wrote in message

privacy.at Anonymous Remailer

Feb 2, 2004, 2:51:47 PM2/2/04

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 14:06:45 GMT, in article
<2712cd2944b77868...@news.teranews.com>, TrueCrypt Team
<tmp...@truecrypt.org> wrote:

LOL.

Eat your heart out Shaun "The Whiny Weiner" Hollingsworth.
You can stick your DriveCrypt up your ass for good now.

Now might be a good time to jump ship. SecurStar's future doesn't look good
at all now.
Hahaha............

Italy Anonymous Remailer

Feb 2, 2004, 3:51:46 PM2/2/04
On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 14:06:45 GMT, in article
<2712cd2944b77868...@news.teranews.com>, TrueCrypt Team
<tmp...@truecrypt.org> wrote:

LOL.

Sarah Dean

Feb 2, 2004, 5:21:43 PM2/2/04
TrueCrypt Team <tmp...@truecrypt.org> wrote in

> TrueCrypt 1.0 Released
>
> February 2, 2004
>
> We are proud to announce that TrueCrypt 1.0 has been released today.

Congratulations on the release!

For those that are interested, I should have a Delphi component to
interface with the TrueCrypt driver SecureTrayUtil fairly soon now,
together with SecureTrayUtil support for this new package.

Shaun Hollingworth

Feb 2, 2004, 7:46:40 PM2/2/04
On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 20:51:47 +0100 (CET), "privacy.at Anonymous
Remailer" <mixm...@remailer.privacy.at> wrote:

>LOL.
>
>Eat your heart out Shaun "The Whiny Weiner" Hollingsworth.
>You can stick your DriveCrypt up your ass for good now.
>
>Now might be a good time to jump ship. SecurStar's future doesn't look good
>at all now.
>Hahaha............

And they said I was going mad..... I can just about see this guy in
his straight jacket.......

I wonder if he's posting from his local looney bin ?

Regards,
Shaun.

Italy Anonymous Remailer

Feb 2, 2004, 9:30:02 PM2/2/04
On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 00:46:40 GMT, in article
<401eeee4....@news-text.dsl.pipex.com>, sh...@NSsecurstar.de (Shaun
Hollingworth) wrote:

>Shaun.

Flush boring post!

privacy.at Anonymous Remailer

Feb 2, 2004, 9:31:21 PM2/2/04

Hollingworth) wrote:

>Shaun.

STFU. FOAD asshole/moron/fukkhead!

privacy.at Anonymous Remailer

Feb 2, 2004, 9:41:10 PM2/2/04

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 00:46:40 GMT, in article
<401eeee4....@news-text.dsl.pipex.com>, sh...@NSsecurstar.de (Shaun
Hollingworth) wrote:

<sigh>

Are you still here?
I thought you'd gone and weren't coming back?

Bloody Liar!

N.B. Come back to moan some more have we?
Don't bother, TrueCrypt has accomplished more in VERSION 1 than DriveCrypt
hasn't even been able to do by VERSION 4.

An Metet

Feb 2, 2004, 9:47:07 PM2/2/04
Hollingworth) wrote:

>Shaun.

Flush boring post!

George Orwell

Feb 2, 2004, 10:00:06 PM2/2/04
Hollingworth) wrote:

>Shaun.

STFU. FOAD asshole/moron/fukkhead!

Anonymous

Feb 2, 2004, 10:00:00 PM2/2/04
Hollingworth) wrote:

>Shaun.

Flush boring post!

Anonymous

Feb 2, 2004, 10:21:20 PM2/2/04
Hollingworth) wrote:

>Shaun.

STFU. FOAD asshole/moron/fukkhead!

Nomen Nescio

Feb 2, 2004, 10:50:03 PM2/2/04
Hollingworth) wrote:

>Shaun.

Flush boring post!

Italy Anonymous Remailer

Feb 2, 2004, 10:51:25 PM2/2/04

Anonymous

Feb 2, 2004, 11:00:09 PM2/2/04
Hollingworth) wrote:

>Shaun.

STFU. FOAD asshole/moron/fukkhead!

Tarapia Tapioco

Feb 2, 2004, 11:26:38 PM2/2/04
On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 00:46:40 GMT, in article
<401eeee4....@news-text.dsl.pipex.com>, sh...@NSsecurstar.de (Shaun
Hollingworth) wrote:

<sigh>

Anonymous Sender

Feb 2, 2004, 11:50:32 PM2/2/04
Hollingworth) wrote:

>Shaun.

STFU. FOAD asshole/moron/fukkhead!

Anonymous via the Cypherpunks Tonga Remailer

Feb 3, 2004, 12:00:42 AM2/3/04

Keith R Kilby

Feb 3, 2004, 4:50:40 AM2/3/04
Would be nice to test but server down!

Frode

Feb 3, 2004, 5:56:49 AM2/3/04

Keith R Kilby

Feb 3, 2004, 6:35:43 AM2/3/04
Tested but still the same no dns resolution on the name have you got
their IP?

Keith

John Smith

Feb 3, 2004, 6:59:31 AM2/3/04
On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 11:56:49 +0100, in article
<4hvu105v8gnl1hbq6...@4ax.com>, Frode

Keith R Kilby

Feb 3, 2004, 8:12:19 AM2/3/04
John or Frode

It looks as if I am having problems with DNS, the namservers I am using
cannot resolve the URL to an IP address. If it is a propagation problem
then the record may come up in 48hrs. Until then I am stuffed unless
anyone can give me Truecrypt's IP address.

Hoping for help

Regards
Keith

"To email:- remove the obvious and the full stops before @"

cymago

Feb 3, 2004, 9:02:50 AM2/3/04
> For more information, please visit www.truecrypt.org

Lost in Web space. Google search for Web: no page with truecrypt or
truecrypt.org

howamidifferent

Feb 3, 2004, 9:14:12 AM2/3/04
I see its been modified already...No 9x suppport driver..

"howamidifferent" <howamid...@mail.anonymizer.com> wrote in message

Entropy

Feb 3, 2004, 9:17:22 AM2/3/04
"cymago" <cym...@nospam.com> wrote in news:401faa0d$0$3262
$626a...@news.free.fr:

>> For more information, please visit www.truecrypt.org
>
> Lost in Web space. Google search for Web: no page with truecrypt or
> truecrypt.org

New sites do not show on google that fast (sometimes it can even take a
month before a new site shows up).

Keith R Kilby

Feb 3, 2004, 9:24:23 AM2/3/04
Frode

Thanks for the IP and I get the same error 404 but doing are reverse
lookup on the IP I get net-144-72.microworld.com/ so I suspect the site
is hosted and there are some problems with the DNS and the hosting.

Thanks anyway for your help and I'll keep trying the address and from
another site as well.

Regards
Keith

cymago

Feb 3, 2004, 9:35:34 AM2/3/04
> New sites do not show on google that fast (sometimes it can even take a
> month before a new site shows up).

Curious, but numerous entries in the "Groups" section:
alt.security.scramdisk Date :2004-02-02 15:27:03 PST

cymago

Feb 3, 2004, 9:42:52 AM2/3/04
and tracert 65.161.144.72 works:
12 165 ms 167 ms 179 ms sl-microworld-1-0.sprintlink.net
[160.81.203.42]
13 183 ms 166 ms 167 ms net-144-72.microworld.com [65.161.144.72]

howamidifferent

Feb 3, 2004, 10:21:58 AM2/3/04
I had no problem . Downloaded version 1.0 yesterday. 1.0a today. No issue.

"Crabbit" <otk...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> i managed to contact the truecrypt site yesterday [monday gmt] but
> today i cannot [either by ip or url]. strange. some kind of trick to
> get people to download a trojan?

cymago

Feb 3, 2004, 10:43:41 AM2/3/04
Google in cache:
Site to be launched soon...

howamidifferent

Feb 3, 2004, 10:45:30 AM2/3/04
Yep...its down to me now also...

> still getting domain name not found from BT dns

> On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 15:21:58 GMT, "howamidifferent"

howamidifferent

Feb 3, 2004, 10:48:46 AM2/3/04
And as for a trojan...Not saying I've looked at the code in any detail but I
did download it...Both versions...

"Crabbit" <otk...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> i managed to contact the truecrypt site yesterday [monday gmt] but
> today i cannot [either by ip or url]. strange. some kind of trick to
> get people to download a trojan?
>

> On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 14:14:12 GMT, "howamidifferent"

Jeff

Feb 3, 2004, 1:11:52 PM2/3/04
"cymago" <cym...@nospam.com> wrote in news:401fc1b0$0$3254
$626a...@news.free.fr:

> Google in cache:
> Site to be launched soon...

Can someone maybe post a mirror of 1.0a and/or 1.0? Truecrypt.org didn't
work for me either, and I tried from three different geographical
locations.

Frode

Feb 3, 2004, 2:07:44 PM2/3/04

Sam Simpson

Feb 3, 2004, 3:46:58 PM2/3/04

"Anonymous" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message
<SNIP>
> According to truecrypt.org mirroring is not permitted.

That's a bit crap, but the E4m license doesn't prohibit this kind of thing:

License agreement for Encryption for the Masses.

Copyright (C) 1998-2000 Paul Le Roux. All Rights Reserved.

This product can be copied and distributed free of charge, including
source code.

You may modify this product and source code, and distribute such
modifications,
and you may derive new works based on this product, provided that:

1. Any product which is simply derived from this product cannot be
called E4M, or Encryption for the Masses.

2. If you use any of the source code in your product, and your product
is distributed with source code, you must include this notice with
those portions of this source code that you use.

Or,

If your product is distributed in binary form only, you must display
on any packaging, and marketing materials which reference
your product, a notice which states:

"This product uses components written by Paul Le Roux
<ple...@swprofessionals.com>"

3. If you use any of the source code originally by Eric Young, you must
in addition follow his terms and conditions.

4. Nothing requires that you accept this License, as you have not
signed it. However, nothing else grants you permission to modify or
distribute the product or its derivative works.

These actions are prohibited by law if you do not accept this License.

5. If any of these license terms is found to be to broad in scope, and
declared invalid by any court or legal process, you agree that all other
terms shall not be so affected, and shall remain valid and enforceable.

6. THIS PROGRAM IS DISTRIBUTED FREE OF CHARGE, THEREFORE THERE IS NO
WARRANTY
FOR THE PROGRAM, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW. UNLESS OTHERWISE
STATED THE PROGRAM IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER
EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES
OF
MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO
THE
QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH YOU. SHOULD THE PROGRAM PROVE
DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR
CORRECTION.

7. IN NO EVENT UNLESS REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW OR AGREED TO IN WRITING
WILL ANY COPYRIGHT HOLDER, OR ANY OTHER PARTY WHO MAY MODIFY AND/OR
REDISTRIBUTE THE PROGRAM AS PERMITTED ABOVE, BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR DAMAGES,
INCLUDING ANY GENERAL, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING
OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE PROGRAM, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED
TO LOSS OF DATA OR DATA BEING RENDERED INACCURATE OR LOSSES SUSTAINED BY
YOU OR THIRD PARTIES OR A FAILURE OF THE PROGRAM TO OPERATE WITH ANY OTHER
PROGRAMS, EVEN IF SUCH HOLDER OR OTHER PARTY HAD PREVIOUSLY BEEN ADVISED
OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.

cymago

Feb 3, 2004, 4:49:02 PM2/3/04

"John Smith"
> This is *very* good :)

Could you post here the MD5 sums for the truecrypt zip files (1.0 and 1.0a)

thanks, cymago

cymago

Feb 3, 2004, 4:55:18 PM2/3/04

"Frode"

> FYI, www.truecrypt.org is now no longer reachable from my location either.

Seems really down. Could someone upload truecrypt.zip to
alt.binaries.freeware ?

Carsten Krueger

Feb 3, 2004, 5:40:17 PM2/3/04
TrueCrypt Team <tmp...@truecrypt.org> wrote:

>For more information, please visit www.truecrypt.org

The site itself is up.
DNS for it is down.

edit you hostfile:
WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
add this line
65.161.144.72 www.truecrypt.org

greetings
Carsten
--
http://learn.to/quote - richtig zitieren
http://www.realname-diskussion.info - Realnames sind keine Pflicht

cymago

Feb 3, 2004, 6:05:14 PM2/3/04
Many thanks, it works, cymago

"Carsten Krueger"

cymago

Feb 3, 2004, 6:07:30 PM2/3/04
For me

e40c498bc20d3de751e6cd6b352c4406 *truecrypt-1.0.zip
e9e6a2935faaa254ed3c2a9e44c75ba4 *truecrypt-1.0a.zip

cymago

Keith R Kilby

Feb 4, 2004, 8:07:20 AM2/4/04
John

You seem to be the only one who has managed to download this release.

Questions: what size is it?
can it be zipped and sent as an email attachment?
or can it be posted to an alt.binaries group for the
rest of us to have a look at?
Regards
Keith

PS
You can email me take the dots out of my name and remove the obvious
from the rest.
KK

howamidifferent

Feb 4, 2004, 8:36:01 AM2/4/04
I've e-mailed it to you.

"Keith R Kilby" <k.r....@NOSPAM.qinetiq.com> wrote in message

Keith R Kilby

Feb 4, 2004, 1:46:41 PM2/4/04
Thanks evaluating now

Thinker

Feb 6, 2004, 6:11:25 AM2/6/04
Jeff <je...@nospamplease.com> wrote in message news:<Xns9484C34994211j...@140.99.99.130>...

> Can someone maybe post a mirror of 1.0a and/or 1.0?

You can download it at: www.truecrypt.tk

it's got the binary, the source code, the signatures, and the key.

Anonymous

Feb 6, 2004, 12:04:45 PM2/6/04
Hollingworth) wrote:

>Shaun.

Flush boring post!

lcs Mixmaster Remailer

Feb 10, 2004, 7:20:15 AM2/10/04
On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 22:39:53 +0000, in article
<4l2g20l3fgr0etile...@4ax.com>, Danny wrote:

>Danny

Flush boring troll/moron/fukkhead post!

STFU. FOAD asshole/moron/fukkhead!