Sellout?

Jonathan D. Look

Nov 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/20/99
So how popular is the sellout theory? Are there real people that are
not autistic that believe the group actually sold out?

T. Iamatus... KUTUULUUUSS!!!1!1!!!!1!

Nov 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/20/99

I happen to be very very normal, perhaps the most normal person of the
newsgroup, and I believe that they sold out. I'm also real. Amazingly
real. All the others are fak autistics, but even they think Metallica
sold out surprisingly.

I Have Spoken Now God Dammit!

For all the facts you NEVER thought was true about the hardcore rubbish band - Metallica!!

The naked truth is here - how Cliff died, how Lars and Kirk tongues kisses each other (porno photo proof!), how gay they are, how their music is for retarded children.

And so forth. If you don't visit this site then you are obviously a stupid Metallica fan and a sheep who follows their every move, and you should be executed for it!

http://redrival.com/anti_metallica/

Thank you. I love you.

http://www.newsfeeds.com The Largest Usenet Servers in the World!
------== Over 73,000 Newsgroups - Including Dedicated Binaries Servers ==-----

Jonathan D. Look

Nov 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/20/99
"T. Iamatus... KUTUULUUUSS!!!1!1!!!!1!" wrote:

> I happen to be very very normal, perhaps the most normal person of the
> newsgroup, and I believe that they sold out. I'm also real. Amazingly
> real. All the others are fak autistics, but even they think Metallica
> sold out surprisingly.

At what point do you think that they sold out?

The problem I have with most people saying this is that they say they
hate everything "after the black album."

But they had begun to make their change ON the black album. The
music was not as aggressive any more, I mean, look at Unforgiven and
Nothing Else Matters. I don't have every metallica CD, but I have
several, and I've never heard anything that was like those on the
others that I do have.

So why would people hate Re/Load, but not the black album? They cut
their friggin' hair. Someone looked at the picture, said "Holy
shit. They got short hair." So they assumed the band changed, and
started hearing "sellout music", because they wanted to hear it.
Punch of goddamn posers.

T. Iamatus... KUTUULUUUSS!!!1!1!!!!1!

Nov 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/20/99

Most people DO hate the black album, because that is indeed when they
began selling out. You have simply been misinformed, or something.
Well there was a lot of whining over the black album before Load came
out, and then Load just all of a sudden becamse 50 steps worse than
that, so it's only natural for people to just kinda forget that the
black album ever even existed, I suppose.

Erlend Steinsvik

Nov 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/20/99
>The problem I have with most people saying this is that they say they
>hate everything "after the black album."
>
>But they had begun to make their change ON the black album. The
>music was not as aggressive any more, I mean, look at Unforgiven and
>Nothing Else Matters. I don't have every metallica CD, but I have
>several, and I've never heard anything that was like those on the
>others that I do have.
>
>So why would people hate Re/Load, but not the black album? They cut
>their friggin' hair. Someone looked at the picture, said "Holy
>shit. They got short hair." So they assumed the band changed, and
>started hearing "sellout music", because they wanted to hear it.
>Punch of goddamn posers.

On the Black Album, they got slower, but not less heavy. On Load and Reload,
they started playing blues... need I say more?
--
Erlend Steinsvik - ICQ: 21755955

"From rivers of sorrow to oceans deep with hope
I have travelled them all"
Chuck Chuldiner

T. Iamatus... KUTUULUUUSS!!!1!1!!!!1!

Nov 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/20/99
On Sat, 20 Nov 1999 21:41:37 GMT, "Erlend Steinsvik"
<shionRE...@c2i.net> wrote:

>>The problem I have with most people saying this is that they say they
>>hate everything "after the black album."
>>
>>But they had begun to make their change ON the black album. The
>>music was not as aggressive any more, I mean, look at Unforgiven and
>>Nothing Else Matters. I don't have every metallica CD, but I have
>>several, and I've never heard anything that was like those on the
>>others that I do have.
>>
>>So why would people hate Re/Load, but not the black album? They cut
>>their friggin' hair. Someone looked at the picture, said "Holy
>>shit. They got short hair." So they assumed the band changed, and
>>started hearing "sellout music", because they wanted to hear it.
>>Punch of goddamn posers.
>
>On the Black Album, they got slower, but not less heavy. On Load and Reload,
>they started playing blues... need I say more?

on the black album they changed their entire song structures and song
writing into a more listener friendly sugar pop version. they sold
out.

Jonathan D. Look

Nov 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/20/99
"T. Iamatus... KUTUULUUUSS!!!1!1!!!!1!" wrote:

> on the black album they changed their entire song structures and song
> writing into a more listener friendly sugar pop version. they sold
> out.

Another thing that bugs me is: Can you prove it? Were you in the
studio with them? Do you hang out with James and know everything
he's thinking? How do you know he didn't just decide to change their
style a little bit, and it happened to make more money than they had
in the past? How do you know that they intended to make money on
it? Maybe they decided "Hey, we've gotten rich off metal, let's take
a RISK and try something else." So they took their chances, and lo
and behold, they made more money off it. So then, here's James,
Lars, Kirk and Jason, and they think "Man, if we've made so much more
money on this, that means MORE PEOPLE ARE BUYING OUR RECORDS. People
must really enjoy it, if they are buying so much of it. We can't let
out fans down now and stop doing this new thing. After all, we've
worn out heavy metal. We've given are fans all the metal they want.
Let's just change the style a little bit, slow it down, mix it with a
little bit more rock than metal."

You're probably thinking "Well you can't prove that they didn't sell
out." True, but I don't have to. In my country, at least, one is
innocent until proven guilty. Right until proven wrong. The burden
of proof lies in the hands of you, the one trying to prove that they
did, in fact sell out.

Now you're probably thinking "Well, you can't prove something like
that, so it's just stupid."

Exactly. You cannot prove that they sold out. You have no basis for
saying that they sold out. You just don't like the new music, and
coupled with the short hair, you just needed to bitch and complain,
and you couldn't find any REAL problems with the music, so you made
one up. You absolutely CANNOT prove that Metallica sold out, so you
may as well shut up about.

Darkone

Nov 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/20/99

> On the Black Album, they got slower, but not less heavy. On Load and
Reload,
> they started playing blues... need I say more?

Blues my ASS!! You obviously dont know a thing about blues, Yeah man Load
and reload really sound like blues. Stevie Ray, BB King, Buddy Guy, Albert
Collins, Albert King, Robert Johnson, theres your blues man.

All Metallica did was incorporate some simple BLUES STYLE licks into some of
thier songs, most notably the solos. I do agree these albums are lot
greasier as far as the soloing goes. Kirk did take a more laid back bluesy
rock feel to the solos but you cannot say that they started playing blues.
Thats just ridiculous.

Jonathan D. Look

Nov 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/20/99
"T. Iamatus... KUTUULUUUSS!!!1!1!!!!1!" wrote:
> it. They're on the radio every day at every hour at every second. So
> they sold out. No proof required because I don't care. The music is
> gay and I won't listen to it.

> I have won once again. I will now return home to support my family
> after yet another successful battle, or something like that.

>sigh<. You've won? I fail to see how you've "won". Because they are on the radio alot, they have sold out? Isn't that the radio station's fault? In case you didn't know this, Metallica does not own any radio stations. They don't decide what gets played. I don't see how you think that they sold out just because they are on the radio alot.

And as for not caring, well, since you have turned this from a simple
question I asked into what you would call "a battle", you obviously
DO care.

Jonathan D. Look

Nov 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/20/99
"T. Iamatus... KUTUULUUUSS!!!1!1!!!!1!" wrote:

> A simple question? Hyah hyah!! You're the one writing essays on
> completely insignificant matters on whether Metallica sold out or not.
> Which I am then forced to read, even though I don't want to. Dammit.

It's not insignificant. It's brought up on VH1's behind the music,
it's on this NG a lot, there are several web pages dedicated for and
against it...seems a lot of people think quite the opposite of you.
It IS relevent, it IS significant. I've heard the word sellout too
much in reference to music, it gets a little annoying after a while.
Besides, if someone were saying such lies about me, I would be
incredibly pissed off and hoped that someone would stand by me and
stick up for me.

And forced to read? Ah yes. I completely forgot about the man I
sent to your home to hold a gun to your head, forcing you to read
these.

T. Iamatus... KUTUULUUUSS!!!1!1!!!!1!

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99

Look, damn you. I do not care, nor give a shit, if they sold out and
I'm not going to devote my life philosophising their techniques and
methods of selling out. What I see Metallica doing on the black album
is - writing shorter songs that are easier to listen to. They make
videos for every song on the album even though they vowed never to do

it. They're on the radio every day at every hour at every second. So
they sold out. No proof required because I don't care. The music is
gay and I won't listen to it.

I have won once again. I will now return home to support my family
after yet another successful battle, or something like that.

Mal P

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
I personally don't give a shit how much money Metallica makes/wants or what
their style of music is, I just want a decent quality album from them. In
that respects, Load/Reload were pieces of utter fecies. Garage was better.
Even still, there was once a time when I could buy a new Metallica record
and expect every single song to be good. Grage had 7. I haven't heard S&M so
I'll make my mind up then.

--
Cheerio,
Mal

"Jonathan D. Look" <jonath...@maine.edu> wrote in message

T. Iamatus... KUTUULUUUSS!!!1!1!!!!1!

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
On Sat, 20 Nov 1999 21:12:55 -0500, "Jonathan D. Look"
<jonath...@maine.edu> wrote:

>"T. Iamatus... KUTUULUUUSS!!!1!1!!!!1!" wrote:
>> it. They're on the radio every day at every hour at every second. So
>> they sold out. No proof required because I don't care. The music is
>> gay and I won't listen to it.
>
>> I have won once again. I will now return home to support my family
>> after yet another successful battle, or something like that.
>

>>sigh<. You've won? I fail to see how you've "won". Because they are on the radio alot, they have sold out? Isn't that the radio station's fault? In case you didn't know this, Metallica does not own any radio stations. They don't decide what gets played. I don't see how you think that they sold out just because they are on the radio alot.
>
>And as for not caring, well, since you have turned this from a simple
>question I asked into what you would call "a battle", you obviously
>DO care.

A simple question? Hyah hyah!! You're the one writing essays on

completely insignificant matters on whether Metallica sold out or not.
Which I am then forced to read, even though I don't want to. Dammit.

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99

Why is it when any band make something popular, to someone they sell
out...big deal, you may not like them, your choice, I am sure I don't
like bands you like, but do you hear me ripping on them, or whinning
about how they sold out, or how gay they are......
that is another thing...have we gotten that unoriginal that the only
way we can insult people anymore is by questioning thier sexuality, or
the ever popular insulting someone's mother...people we need to get
orginal here..I like Metallica..I have met them, I have 25 CD's and
big fans, I don't consider them sell-outs.
Sure Load and Reload are different, I may not like all the songs on
those albums, and they are different than prevoius albums.
But look at thier other albums......RTL was different than KEA...they
had a ballad...a slow song.....Fade to black...people said they sold
out then too...but big deal, did it make them any less of a kick ass
band..hell no....Master was a little diff then Ride.......did people
say they sold out....nope....then cliff died and they got all pissed
and the anger can be heard on AJFA...different sounding songs than on
Master....people say they sold out..yeah not many, but people said
they did. The black album came out then......again people say they
"sold out" and you people know the rest of the story.
Now they played with the SF orchesta, and it is gonna release
soon...again...people saying they sold out. But alas....Micheal
Kammon came to them....the conductor approached Metallica and asked
them if they would do it...and always out to do different things, and
be different, they accepted. So what...big deal, they did what they
wanted to do, sure they were asked, but they wouldnt do it if they
didn't want to.
So what if they did a stint with some classical music. Cliff studied
Classical music when he was in college for that short amount of
time...Kick studied classical during the year long break after touring
for the black album. Kirk said he listened to it.....These are people
with lots of musical infulences. Kirk when he was growing up played
guitar along side Les Claypoll of Primus...two totally different music
styles. Kirk also studdied jazz music during his breaks, and that was
one of the things he studied way back when he studied under Satriani
back at Berkley.....
What I am trying to say is..BIG DEAL....you may have thought metallica
sold out...in your mind they may have.....in some people's
minds...they may not have....But no matter what, when anyone receives
success, Someone will always say they sold out..it is
inevitable......I don't know why you people insist on continually
coming on here and telling us that..I respect your views...I may not
agree, but I respect them, as I ask you to respect mine. You want to
tell about how metallica sold out...Make your own newsgroup......And
for not liking a band, you surly do spend alot of time talking about
them...even if it is in a negative conoation

Just my views

questions, comments, or concerns....post back

Jonathan D. Look

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
Z wrote:

<snip>

Here here. I agree with you.

Just one thing: You seemed to be replying to me, and, well, I'm the
one defending Metallica, not saing they sold out.

I already respect your opinion, and I also am in support of it.

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99

Not aimed at you, but the group, and those saying as a whole, I posted
before I realized who i was replying too

questions, comments concerns...post back

Ronnie Long

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99

>On the Black Album, they got slower, but not less heavy. On Load and
Reload,
>they started playing blues... need I say more?

Yeah. You need to explain what the fuck is wrong with blues.

Mike Espinoza

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
"T. Iamatus... KUTUULUUUSS!!!1!1!!!!1!" wrote:

> Look, damn you. I do not care, nor give a shit, if they sold out and
> I'm not going to devote my life philosophising their techniques and
> methods of selling out.

Ah, but that's part of the point. There is selling out musically and
there is selling out business wise.

> What I see Metallica doing on the black album
> is - writing shorter songs that are easier to listen to.

Ironically, one of the criticisms of AJFA back in 1988 from both fans
and the media was that the songs were too fucking long. The shorter
songs black album was originally touted as return to they're KEA roots
(with two ballads thrown in for good measure, I'm guessing), but that
apparently didn't mean that they'd return to the same speed and fury. I
don't know if those songs are "easier to listen to", but they are
certainly more melodious. (No, not malodorous, melodious.) Melody
don't tend to take some of the crunch out of metal.

> They make videos for every song on the album even though they vowed never to
> do it.

That's selling out business wise. I agree with you on that. I had no
problem with them making videos, but they shouldn't have said they'd
never do it if they didn't mean it.

> They're on the radio every day at every hour at every second. So
> they sold out.

This is because radio has changed, not because Metallica has. There was
a time when even something like Enter Sandman wouldn't get played.
Today, I heard Disposable Heroes on a radio station that took great
pride in NOT playing it 13 years ago. Does that mean that the MOP album
was a sellout? FUCK NO!

> No proof required because I don't care. The music is
> gay and I won't listen to it.

Judas Priest's music was gay, so what? As for not listening to it,
that's your prerogative.

Mike E.

Finnut

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
>Ergleng Schweinhund wrote:

I will explain: Blues was created bunch of sissy-ass nigga men
from Mississippi who couldn't score with women, and because of
this, they started whining and moaning about their lonely wanking
experiences without their chicks, they died and became very
fucking blue.

And it's full of pentagram scales too, which means it was the
first really satanic music style. And we all know that homos like
Slayer stole all the sissy riffs from Willie Dixon and B.B. King.

#Finnished**

Finnut

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99

Jonathan D. Look wrote:

>The problem I have with most people saying this
>is that they say they hate everything "after the black album."

You actually have problem with that? HAHA! What a l0ser you are!
My personal problems are much more severe than that. I was
absolutely devastated when they started recording full-length
albums after their shitty sounding garage demos.

#Finnished**

Finnut

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99

Jonathan D. Look wrote:
>"T. Iamatus... KUTUULUUUSS!!!1!1!!!!1!" wrote:

>> on the black album they changed their entire song
>>structures and song writing into a more listener friendly
>>sugar pop version. they sold out.

>Another thing that bugs me is: Can you prove it? Were

>in the studio with them? Do you hang out with James and
>know everything he's thinking?

You sound like that Ken Whiner: "Prove that God exists! Then I
believe. Naganaga+ten thousand chapters..."

Kahuutulu, you should say to this guy that he should leave or
something. Maybe he performs the Kenny Copperfiled magic trick
and disappears.

#Finnished**

Mal P

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
Ghetto Supastar. For that is what you are.

--
Cheerio,
Mal

"Finnut" <san...@saunalahti.spamandroids_fukoff.fi> wrote in message

Finnut

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99

T. Iamatus... KUTUULUUUSS!!!1!1!!!!1! wrote:

>I do not care, nor give a shit, if they sold out and
>I'm not going to devote my life philosophising their

>techniques and methods of selling out. What I see Metallica

>doing on the black album is - writing shorter songs that
>are easier to listen to.

One of these days the guy's going to find out about your website
and he's going to write 10 pages of reasons on your greeting
forum why the selling out issue is extremely important, and why
you can't prove absolutely anything of Kirk being the ultimate
sodomymessier.

#Finnished**

Finnut

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99

Mal P wrote:

>Ghetto Supastar. For that is what you are.
>
>--
>Cheerio,
>Mal

Ghetto supper, or perhaps breakfast? Well, I'm late from
breakfast. See ya later elevator!

#Finnished**

Erlend Steinsvik

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
>Another thing that bugs me is: Can you prove it? Were you in the

>studio with them? Do you hang out with James and know everything

How do you know we can't prove it? Lica admits in a lot of interviews that
they wanted to get on the radio. Why doesn't that qualify as proof?

Erlend Steinsvik

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
>Sure Load and Reload are different, I may not like all the songs on
>those albums, and they are different than prevoius albums.
>But look at thier other albums......RTL was different than KEA...they
>had a ballad...a slow song.....Fade to black...people said they sold
>out then too...but big deal, did it make them any less of a kick ass
>band..hell no....Master was a little diff then Ride.......did people
>say they sold out....nope....then cliff died and they got all pissed
>and the anger can be heard on AJFA...different sounding songs than on
>Master....people say they sold out..yeah not many, but people said
>they did.

Are you aware of how ignorant that sounds? If you are so deaf that you can't
tell the difference from natural progression and obviously commercial pop?
Nobody said that they sold out when they played Fade to Black, because that
song is a metal ballad (though it gets really heavy). Mama Said is a pop
song. And the rest of Re/Load is blues rock.

Erlend Steinsvik

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
>Blues my ASS!! You obviously dont know a thing about blues, Yeah man Load
>and reload really sound like blues. Stevie Ray, BB King, Buddy Guy, Albert
>Collins, Albert King, Robert Johnson, theres your blues man.
>
>All Metallica did was incorporate some simple BLUES STYLE licks into some
of
>thier songs, most notably the solos. I do agree these albums are lot
>greasier as far as the soloing goes. Kirk did take a more laid back bluesy
>rock feel to the solos but you cannot say that they started playing blues.
>Thats just ridiculous.

I was exaggerating to emphasize my point. They actually play blues
rock/metal.

Erlend Steinsvik

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
>I personally don't give a shit how much money Metallica makes/wants or what
>their style of music is, I just want a decent quality album from them. In
>that respects, Load/Reload were pieces of utter fecies. Garage was better.
>Even still, there was once a time when I could buy a new Metallica record
>and expect every single song to be good. Grage had 7. I haven't heard S&M
so
>I'll make my mind up then.

Dude, Garage was better because THEY DIDN'T WRITE THE SONGS ! S&M will
probably be good too, since they played mostly old songs.

D. Mentia

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
Jonathan D. Look wrote:

> > I have won once again. I will now return home to support my family
> > after yet another successful battle, or something like that.
>
> >sigh<. You've won? I fail to see how you've "won".

You fight a battle with a man who makes up his own rules, a tactic that
will always succeed in confusing the hell out of an opponent expecting a
rational debate.

Give up now.

Argument is futile.

D. Mentia
---------
Metria's better half.

"It's simply more fun to be naughty, evil, subversive and
twisted than it is to be prudish, good, obedient and straight.
Get bent. Release the deviant inside." -- Jessica

"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime
is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the final sin is
stupidity." -- Raoul Duke

T. Iamatus... KUTUULUUUSS!!!1!1!!!!1!

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
On Sun, 21 Nov 1999 04:11:24 GMT, Z...@myhouse.net (Z) wrote:

>Why is it when any band make something popular, to someone they sell
>out...big deal, you may not like them, your choice, I am sure I don't
>like bands you like, but do you hear me ripping on them, or whinning
>about how they sold out, or how gay they are......
>that is another thing...have we gotten that unoriginal that the only
>way we can insult people anymore is by questioning thier sexuality, or
>the ever popular insulting someone's mother...people we need to get
>orginal here..I like Metallica..I have met them, I have 25 CD's and
>big fans, I don't consider them sell-outs.

>Sure Load and Reload are different, I may not like all the songs on
>those albums, and they are different than prevoius albums.
>But look at thier other albums......RTL was different than KEA...they
>had a ballad...a slow song.....Fade to black...people said they sold
>out then too...but big deal, did it make them any less of a kick ass
>band..hell no....Master was a little diff then Ride.......did people
>say they sold out....nope....then cliff died and they got all pissed
>and the anger can be heard on AJFA...different sounding songs than on
>Master....people say they sold out..yeah not many, but people said

See what I man? Could someone care so much about Metallica that they
write all this when they could do something more valuable with their
time, like masturbate?! No. I won't read this text, never!! Because I
am not forced to!

T. Iamatus... KUTUULUUUSS!!!1!1!!!!1!

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
On Sun, 21 Nov 1999 00:29:36 -0500, "Jonathan D. Look"
<jonath...@maine.edu> wrote:

>Z wrote:
>

><snip>

>Here here. I agree with you.
>
>Just one thing: You seemed to be replying to me, and, well, I'm the
>one defending Metallica, not saing they sold out.
>
>I already respect your opinion, and I also am in support of it.

OK, Jonathan, by the power vested in me by the people of this
newsgroup, and through my Godly forces of my wholy dominance of the
entire board, I will have to ask you to leave, under the request of
many people (Finnut). You may post one more farewell post, and then
you must be gone.

T. Iamatus... KUTUULUUUSS!!!1!1!!!!1!

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
On Sun, 21 Nov 1999 01:46:43 -0800, "D. Mentia"
<d_me...@earthlink-I-KILL.SPAMMERS.SLOWLY.net> wrote:

>Jonathan D. Look wrote:
>>
>> > I have won once again. I will now return home to support my family
>> > after yet another successful battle, or something like that.
>>
>> >sigh<. You've won? I fail to see how you've "won".
>
>You fight a battle with a man who makes up his own rules, a tactic that
>will always succeed in confusing the hell out of an opponent expecting a
>rational debate.
>
>Give up now.
>
>Argument is futile.

By the way, I think you better tell this man to shut up. I've already
told him to leave, so maybe actually will if you add the final
ingredient! That would be great! I can't wait! This is going to be so
kewl! Soon we will have NO losers in here at all. Except for me, but
I'll never leave.

Ronnie Long

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
::sniff::

You've destroyed my life. I'm going to go kill myself....right after I
masturbate.

Jonathan D. Look

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
Finnut wrote:

> You actually have problem with that? HAHA! What a l0ser you are!
> My personal problems are much more severe than that. I was
> absolutely devastated when they started recording full-length
> albums after their shitty sounding garage demos.

I have a problem with what they are saying about Metallica. I said
nothing about my own personal problems, and I really don't give a
shit about yours.

Jonathan D. Look

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
"T. Iamatus... KUTUULUUUSS!!!1!1!!!!1!" wrote:

> OK, Jonathan, by the power vested in me by the people of this
> newsgroup, and through my Godly forces of my wholy dominance of the
> entire board, I will have to ask you to leave, under the request of
> many people (Finnut). You may post one more farewell post, and then
> you must be gone.

Why should I leave? I have just as much right to post my opinions
here as you do. I'll never leave as long as I have something to say.

Jonathan D. Look

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
Erlend Steinsvik wrote:

> How do you know we can't prove it? Lica admits in a lot of interviews that
> they wanted to get on the radio. Why doesn't that qualify as proof?

Getting on the radio and selling out don't mean the same thing. They
want recognition. Maybe there's a sense of pride in saying "Hey, my
song is on the radio. Everyone can hear it!"

Besides, I hear more on the radio from older stuff than I do from
Black and Re/Load.

Jonathan D. Look

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
Finnut wrote:

> You sound like that Ken Whiner: "Prove that God exists! Then I
> believe. Naganaga+ten thousand chapters..."

God's existance doesn't need to be proven. You have to accept it on
faith. It's a totally different subject than whether or not
Metallica "sold out".

But when you are accusing someone of doing something negative, like
"selling out", you should accompany some proof to go along with it,
otherwise, you sound like a totally ignorant asshole.

Erlend Steinsvik

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99

>Getting on the radio and selling out don't mean the same thing. They
>want recognition. Maybe there's a sense of pride in saying "Hey, my
>song is on the radio. Everyone can hear it!"
>
>Besides, I hear more on the radio from older stuff than I do from
>Black and Re/Load.

You see, the reason they changed, was only because of that they wanted to
get on the radio. That is by definition selling out.

Øyvind Steinsvik

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
Most metal fans think they sold out. Most other people don't think so. (They
don't know anything about it)
--
Øyvind Steinsvik
http://members.xoom.com/huddersfield

What is that O with the line through it?
I don't remember learning about that in school.
(Jerry Seinfeld)

Jonathan D. Look skrev i meldingen <3836F35E...@maine.edu>...
>So how popular is the sellout theory? Are there real people that are
>not autistic that believe the group actually sold out?

L'Crowe

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
People like to overlook this point. They say Metallica 'evolved'. Metallica says they want
shorter songs. Metallica says they want to explore new sounds. But, on the Year and a Half video, James, honest man that he is, admits that they were trying to crack the
radio market. They wanted more women in the audience too. So, rather than continuing to express themselves through their music, Metallica concerned itself with
attracting a broad fan base. To await these fans, Metallica productized their market. The live binge and purge box had little baubles in there that you would give to a
child.

When an artist changes their music to attract a particular audience, they invite claims of putting on airs. If they had evolved musically, I think the evolution would
have sounded different. Their evolution seems to me to have been more along the lines of marketing and sales. There was a change in tone towards slower blues-based
material. In my estimation, their efforts in this direction were lazy, shoddy, and undeveloped. Kirk plays some of the most boring blues I have ever heard. And I have
heard a fair amount. The radio-oriented sound meant that most of their songs fit predictable, conventional formats. A CD with seventy minutes of more-or-less
oncventionality is not very interesting to me.

I am sad to hear these changes to their music. Metallica used to be a band I knew I could travel to see, no matter how great the distance, and be treated to some
excellent music. I would have loved an evolution into Skynyrd-styled roots rocking, if that's the way they wanted to go, but I hear more pop than rock in their sound now.

"T. Iamatus... KUTUULUUUSS!!!1!1!!!!1!" wrote:

> >On the Black Album, they got slower, but not less heavy. On Load and Reload,
> >they started playing blues... need I say more?
>

> on the black album they changed their entire song structures and song
> writing into a more listener friendly sugar pop version. they sold
> out.

`> a crowe by any other color is still a crowe `>

L'Crowe

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
If you were a real fan, you'd have read early 1990s interviews and seen
interviews in which Jaymz says that the radio was an important new target
audience for them. Read it and weap. Rent a Year and a Half. Metallica
wanted to attract the mass market, and they hired a sound consultant, Bob
Rock, to help them COMMERCIALIZE their sound. Sorry. Bob Rock didn't
offer an artistic chance taking dimension. He offered a balanced sound
system and knowledge for how to get the tunes and singles on the radio.
Watch the video.

"Jonathan D. Look" wrote:

> Exactly. You cannot prove that they sold out. You have no basis for
> saying that they sold out. You just don't like the new music, and
> coupled with the short hair, you just needed to bitch and complain,
> and you couldn't find any REAL problems with the music, so you made
> one up. You absolutely CANNOT prove that Metallica sold out, so you
> may as well shut up about.

`> a crowe by any other color is still a crowe `>

Borja Aranovic

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
Have nothing much to say,
Except that I DO AGREE to this:

> Are you aware of how ignorant that sounds? If you are so deaf that you can't
> tell the difference from natural progression and obviously commercial pop?
> Nobody said that they sold out when they played Fade to Black, because that
> song is a metal ballad (though it gets really heavy). Mama Said is a pop
> song. And the rest of Re/Load is blues rock.

no

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
People have been saying they sold out since RTL, when they put in the
acoustic intro to Fade to Black and the intro to Fight Fire with Fire. This
is nothing new....
Jonathan D. Look wrote in message <38370BA7...@maine.edu>...
>"T. Iamatus... KUTUULUUUSS!!!1!1!!!!1!" wrote:
>>
>> I happen to be very very normal, perhaps the most normal person of the
>> newsgroup, and I believe that they sold out. I'm also real. Amazingly
>> real. All the others are fak autistics, but even they think Metallica
>> sold out surprisingly.
>

>At what point do you think that they sold out?

>The problem I have with most people saying this is that they say they
>hate everything "after the black album."
>
>But they had begun to make their change ON the black album. The
>music was not as aggressive any more, I mean, look at Unforgiven and
>Nothing Else Matters. I don't have every metallica CD, but I have
>several, and I've never heard anything that was like those on the
>others that I do have.
>
>So why would people hate Re/Load, but not the black album? They cut
>their friggin' hair. Someone looked at the picture, said "Holy
>shit. They got short hair." So they assumed the band changed, and
>started hearing "sellout music", because they wanted to hear it.
>Punch of goddamn posers.

Jonathan D. Look

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
Erlend Steinsvik wrote:

> You see, the reason they changed, was only because of that they wanted to
> get on the radio. That is by definition selling out.

OH. I'm sorry. To everyone, I misunderstood you. I thought that
selling out meant "writing a type of music just to get money for it",
but I truly see that selling out ACTUALLY means "writing a style of
music that more than one person enjoys."

What a bunch of pricks they are. I can't believe metallica. They
went and wrote music that someone might actually LIKE TO LISTEN TO!
And it wasn't even about hate and death and getting molested by your
daddy! Goddamn sons of bitches. I hope they die and go to hell.

James Boswell

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
> God's existance doesn't need to be proven. You have to accept it on
> faith.

'faith' is the absence of analytical thought.
And it henceforth tantamount to ignorance.

Prove there is a reason to have faith in god.

(I'm well versed in this argume... debate after this morning, just ask
Scarecrow.)

--
-
James Boswell | ICQ #: 1653327

Jonathan D. Look

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
"T. Iamatus... KUTUULUUUSS!!!1!1!!!!1!" wrote:

> Shut up! Only posers like the new music. Gay, ugly, super gay, posers.
> Such posers are gay. It is completely unacceptable that Metallica
> wrote music just for them. Therefore Metallica is gay.

You must feel very strongly about Metallica's newer music. It's in
your posts. You probably think that by being an immature prick I
will go away. Perhaps, but then, if I leave just because you are
being an annoying pathetic loser, does that mean you've really won
the debate on the issue you feel so strongly about?

Jonathan D. Look

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
James Boswell wrote:

> Prove there is a reason to have faith in god.

Now we're just going around in circles.

This isn't even relevant to the original topic. You are referring to
a reason to do something, whereas I am talking about a person's
intentions.

Ronnie Long

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99
>'faith' is the absence of analytical thought.
>And it henceforth tantamount to ignorance.

Faith is the absence of the ability for rational thought. ANY theroy
regarding man's origin, life on distant worlds or the existance of a once
heterosexual Kirk Hammett are under the definition of 'faith.' You're
abusing the term james.

>Prove there is a reason to have faith in god.

I could prove it well enough by civil trial standards. However, that simply
states that the body of participants has to believe me more than you, and
this has been done (though obviously not in a civil court), as has its
antithesis. It's a matter of faith, no matter what you believe. You don't
want to believe in god, that's just spiffy. You don't believe in god.
You're quite endowed by the First Amendment to have that opnion (and YES, I
could spout that amendment, in its entirity for you, but why waste the
bandwidth. you SHOULD know what it says). You're also entitled to say "I
don't belive in guns." Which, though a tad off subject, brings up an
interesting allegory. Does your disbelief in guns make it against some
cosmic law for a thug to walk up behind you and park a .40 cal in your
skull? No. Just like disbelieving in god doesn't make you immune to any
consequences you may or may not incur.

>(I'm well versed in this argume... debate after this morning, just ask
>Scarecrow.)

Now, I bow before you, in preemptive awe of what I shall surely see when I
view this argument (assuming it's somewhere on the ng).

Ronnie Long

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99

Mal P wrote in message ...
>Masturbation and killing oneself can be achieved at the same time. Now all
>you need is... err <insert some witty clever thing> and whola! You're dead
>and happy!
>
>--
>Cheerio,
>Mal

WOW! A Reason To Live! All I need is this witty cleaver thing and I can be
complete. I shall now make my pilgrimage to the Bay Area in hopes of
finding this...as well as raping and shooting as many posers and
scum-sucking sheep as possible. :D

T. Iamatus... KUTUULUUUSS!!!1!1!!!!1!

Nov 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/22/99

Shut up! Only posers like the new music. Gay, ugly, super gay, posers.

Such posers are gay. It is completely unacceptable that Metallica
wrote music just for them. Therefore Metallica is gay.

Mal P

scoTTy

Nov 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/22/99
> >Ergleng Schweinhund wrote:

> Ronnie Long wrote:
> >
> >>On the Black Album, they got slower, but not less heavy.
> >>On Load and Reload, they started playing blues...
> >>need I say more?
>

> >Yeah. You need to explain what the fuck is wrong with blues.
>

> I will explain: Blues was created bunch of sissy-ass nigga men
> from Mississippi who couldn't score with women, and because of
> this, they started whining and moaning about their lonely wanking
> experiences without their chicks, they died and became very
> fucking blue.

Funny that. Without blues, modern metal as we know it wouldn't exist.
Listen to early sabbath, deep purple et. al., and yu'll find they, the
grandmasters of metal, used blues scales in their songs, solos etc.

> And it's full of pentagram scales too, which means it was the
> first really satanic music style. And we all know that homos like
> Slayer stole all the sissy riffs from Willie Dixon and B.B. King.

Pentagram scales? What planet are you from? Pentatonic scales, not
pentagramic scales. And before you go off about "ooo, pentatonic has penta
in it, so it must be satanic", it's just another way of saying five.
pentagrams are 5-point stars, pentatonic scales have 5 root notes. It's
that simple.

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

If ignorance was a crime, you'd all be behind bars.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

scarecrow

Nov 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/22/99

James Boswell <Ja...@Lacrimator.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> > God's existance doesn't need to be proven. You have to accept it on
> > faith.
>
> 'faith' is the absence of analytical thought.
> And it henceforth tantamount to ignorance.
>

> Prove there is a reason to have faith in god.
>

> (I'm well versed in this argume... debate after this morning, just ask
> Scarecrow.)

No no NO!!!!! Not the "does god exist" discussions again.

Of course I do agree here however. We must have "faith." Why?
Because we
were told to by some history/story book that was put together by those
who
wanted certain ideas to be printed and abided by? There were plenty
more
publications during the life of Jesus that clearly offer a different
view, not
necessarily "evil" or anything of the like. These different sects of
worshippers
were just criticized for not believing what the ruler of the times
believed.
The only thing anyone needs faith in is themselves.
~S~

scarecrow

Nov 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/22/99
And how about the mid-80's interviews in which they "bitch and complain"
that
because of the shit they took for being too different? Sure they've gotten
criticism
their entire career, but anyone who was around "in that day and age...
ahem," knew
they were the originators of a new sound... AND that they would achieve
super-stardom.

Their music had more drive and complexity to it then. They're not a
"hungry" band
anymore. More power to 'em to do what they want, but then they did it their
way.
Like them or not... it's your prerogative. The discussion is old news.

L'Crowe <nigh...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

Mal P

Nov 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/22/99
Shot down Finhairynut!

--
Cheerio,
Mal

"scoTTy" <dust...@one.net.au> wrote in message

Erlend Steinsvik

Nov 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/22/99
>OH. I'm sorry. To everyone, I misunderstood you. I thought that
>selling out meant "writing a type of music just to get money for it",
>but I truly see that selling out ACTUALLY means "writing a style of
>music that more than one person enjoys."
>
>What a bunch of pricks they are. I can't believe metallica. They
>went and wrote music that someone might actually LIKE TO LISTEN TO!
>And it wasn't even about hate and death and getting molested by your
>daddy! Goddamn sons of bitches. I hope they die and go to hell.

You can't be very intelligent. They wrote that type of music because they
wanted to get on the radio, hence getting more fans, hence getting more
money. Hence, they write a type of music just to get money for it. HAH

Erlend Steinsvik

Nov 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/22/99
>You must feel very strongly about Metallica's newer music. It's in
>your posts. You probably think that by being an immature prick I
>will go away. Perhaps, but then, if I leave just because you are
>being an annoying pathetic loser, does that mean you've really won
>the debate on the issue you feel so strongly about?

T.Lamatus is a troll, and he's trying to be funny.

Erlend Steinsvik

Nov 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/22/99
>People have been saying they sold out since RTL, when they put in the
>acoustic intro to Fade to Black and the intro to Fight Fire with Fire. This
>is nothing new....

Hmm... I wonder where you live? Nobody have said that they have sold out
since RTL.

Jonathan D. Look

Nov 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/22/99
Erlend Steinsvik wrote:
> You can't be very intelligent. They wrote that type of music because they
> wanted to get on the radio, hence getting more fans, hence getting more
> money. Hence, they write a type of music just to get money for it. HAH

Which brings us back to an earlier point, can you prove that?

Just because it's how you would operate, or how MOST people operate,
doesn't mean they are.

Finnut

Nov 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/22/99
Jonathan D. Look wrote:

>I have a problem with what they are saying about Metallica.
>I said nothing about my own personal problems, and I really
>don't give a shit about yours.

Beebs.

Yeah, I must've gotten a trauma in those days, cuz I don't
remember what the fuck was going on in those troubled times.
Later I found out that Metallica had sold out, _again_, and that
really pushed me to the limit, again.

#Finnished**

Finnut

Nov 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/22/99
Jonathan D. Look wrote:
>Finnut wrote:
>>
>> You sound like that Ken Whiner: "Prove that God exists! Then I
>> believe. Naganaga+ten thousand chapters..."

>God's existance doesn't need to be proven. You have

>to accept it on faith.

Sometimes you just simply DO or DON'T.

>It's a totally different subject than whether
>or not Metallica "sold out".

You could say it's a matter of 'faith' too.

>But when you are accusing someone of doing
>something negative, like "selling out", you should accompany
>some proof to go along with it, otherwise, you sound like
>a totally ignorant asshole.

Mr. Asshole used to be my name in a band, so I don't give farting
cornholio do I have some proof or not. It's just utterly hilarius
to see fans crying over a band. If I'd say: "Metallica sounds a
wussy puny band and they sold out! I can't stand the new phony
crap they're letting out!" Is that enough proof that I'm an
asshole?

Oh, it is? Super!

It's good to be an asshole!

#Finnished**

Finnut

Nov 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/22/99
scoTTy wrote:
>Finnut wrote:

>> I will explain: Blues was created bunch of sissy-ass
>>nigga men from Mississippi who couldn't score with women,
>>and because of this, they started whining and moaning about
>>their lonely wanking experiences without their chicks, they
>>died and became very fucking blue.

>Funny that. Without blues, modern metal as we know it
>wouldn't exist. Listen to early sabbath, deep purple et. al.,
>and yu'll find they, the grandmasters of metal, used blues
>scales in their songs, solos etc.

I have never heard of that, ever, or about those silly named
bands. Yay! Thanx for the knowledge, Scottyboy, now I'm a ready
blues profet.

>> And it's full of pentagram scales too, which means
>>it was the first really satanic music style. And we all know
>>that homos like Slayer stole all the sissy riffs from Willie
>>Dixon and B.B. King.

>Pentagram scales?

Yes, Muddy "The Black Tormentor Of BeelsePub" Waters did this
abstract absurd shit with his guitar: once in a while he also
added some hexagrams to his scales too when the voodoo witches
were around.

>What planet are you from?

Finland, next to Sweden. <waves to KATUULU> "Hej pa dig,
Gaytulu!"

>Pentatonic scales, not pentagramic scales.
>And before you go off about "ooo, pentatonic has penta
>in it, so it must be satanic", it's just another way of saying
>five.

You're waaaay too kewl. Give me FIVE, Master!

>pentagrams are 5-point stars, pentatonic scales have 5
>root notes. It's that simple.

Yessssir!

#Finnished**

Finnut

Nov 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/22/99

Erlend Steinsvik wrote:
>>You must feel very strongly about Metallica's newer music.
>>It's in your posts. You probably think that by being
>>an immature prick I will go away. Perhaps, but then, if
>>I leave just because you are being an annoying pathetic
>>loser, does that mean you've really won
>>the debate on the issue you feel so strongly about?

>T.Lamatus is a troll, and he's trying to be funny.

>--
>Erlend Steinsvik - ICQ: 21755955

He's not a troll, he's a fucking smurf molesting leprechaun like
I am.

#Finnished** -
IQ: 45

James Boswell

Nov 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/22/99
> Now, I bow before you, in preemptive awe of what I shall surely see when I
> view this argument (assuming it's somewhere on the ng).

No, it was a 4 hour ICQ conversation with me, Shana (Scarecrow), and a pair
of folks who 'just found god'..

My machine hung when I closed ICQ tho', so I couldn't save it. (I did TRY
to.. damnit..)

T. Iamatus... KUTUULUUUSS!!!1!1!!!!1!

Nov 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/22/99
On Mon, 22 Nov 1999 13:48:14 GMT, "Erlend Steinsvik"
<shionRE...@c2i.net> wrote:

>>You must feel very strongly about Metallica's newer music. It's in
>>your posts. You probably think that by being an immature prick I
>>will go away. Perhaps, but then, if I leave just because you are
>>being an annoying pathetic loser, does that mean you've really won
>>the debate on the issue you feel so strongly about?
>
>T.Lamatus is a troll, and he's trying to be funny.

Yeah right. It's Jonathan who's the troll. There are more of what you
call "trolls" in here than there those who you call "non trolls", and
majority rules, so therefore I am not a troll, but he is. And you're
gay. Majority says you're gay and majority rules, so it has to be
true.

Exception on the majority rules theory: most people like Metallica.
majority is homosexual.

scarecrow

Nov 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/22/99
> Now, I bow before you, in preemptive awe of what I shall surely see when
> view this argument (assuming it's somewhere on the ng).

This NG is no place for such "awe-inspiring" power such as that.
If you'd have a bit of FAITH in opening your mind and not assuming
all the shit fullsize throws at you is fact, you'd maybe see some
light
somewhere.

TommyShag

Nov 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/22/99
Metallica did not sell-out, they grew-up. Something that some of their fans
should do.

I have been a Metallica fan since "Ride the Lightning" and feel that the
more chances the band takes and the more they try different things the
better they get.

> So how popular is the sellout theory? Are there real people that are
> not autistic that believe the group actually sold out?

Mal P

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99
Hello,

> I have never heard of that, ever, or about those silly named
> bands. Yay! Thanx for the knowledge, Scottyboy, now I'm a ready
> blues profet.

HAHAHA!!! You are gay!!! Loser!!! You've never heard Deep Purple? Or Black
Sabbath? GAY is what you are!!!!

> Yes, Muddy "The Black Tormentor Of BeelsePub" Waters did this
> abstract absurd shit with his guitar: once in a while he also
> added some hexagrams to his scales too when the voodoo witches
> were around.

More gayness.

> >What planet are you from?

I am from Xetor, where women wear no clothes.

> Finland, next to Sweden. <waves to KATUULU> "Hej pa dig,
> Gaytulu!"

I heard Finnish women are hairy.

> You're waaaay too kewl. Give me FIVE, Master!

I'll give you a blow job too? And an ass-fuck?

> Yessssir!

Gaaaaaaay.

*Note: Mal is slightly drunk

Finnut

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99

Mal P wrote:
>Hello,
>
>> I have never heard of that, ever, or about those
>>silly named bands. Yay! Thanx for the knowledge,
>>Scottyboy, now I'm a ready blues profet.

>HAHAHA!!! You are gay!!! Loser!!! You've never
>heard Deep Purple? Or Black Sabbath?
>GAY is what you are!!!!

<thinks> I've been in this Balck Sapath newsgroup telling people
that they R0K for two years now, and I still don't know why
people are ranting about that mysterious Black Sabbath (a nigger
band, which I think is some sort of anti-white band), and why
they all hate
me down there.

#Finnished**

Mal P

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99
Oh come on, we all know white people are homosexuals, and that when the
apocalypse comes, the only peoples that are left are those goddam Jehova's
witnesses.

--
Cheerio,
Mal

"Finnut" <saniseb@_spam.robots.make.me.vomit_saunalahti.fi> wrote in message

Finnut

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99

Mal P wrote:
>Oh come on, we all know white people are homosexuals,
>and that when the apocalypse comes, the only peoples that are
>left are those goddam Jehova's witnesses.
>
>--
>Cheerio,
>Mal

YEAHova Supernova!

#Finnished**

D. Mentia

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99
T. Iamatus... KUTUULUUUSS!!!1!1!!!!1! wrote:

> >Give up now.
> >
> >Argument is futile.
>
> By the way, I think you better tell this man to shut up. I've already
> told him to leave, so maybe actually will if you add the final
> ingredient! That would be great! I can't wait! This is going to be so
> kewl! Soon we will have NO losers in here at all.

That Lightwar person is like a spastic version of this guy. It's kinda
funny.

> Except for me, but I'll never leave.

And this fact alone means you aren't a troll. Permanence is the
antithesis to troll-hood.

D. Mentia
---------
Metria's better half.

"It's simply more fun to be naughty, evil, subversive and
twisted than it is to be prudish, good, obedient and straight.
Get bent. Release the deviant inside." -- Jessica

"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime
is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the final sin is
stupidity." -- Raoul Duke

blues02

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99
You must have some good radio then, I hear shit off of Reload on the
alt rock station every seven minutes, the metal station plays old
stuff, but even more new stuff. Lxxx, and Rexxx(I can't bring myself to
type it) are pretty poor.

In article <38382A78...@maine.edu>,

--
"Don't need a helmet, got a hard, hard head" -E Vedder

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Jakkal Keeper of the Golden Rod

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99
>"T. Iamatus... KUTUULUUUSS!!!1!1!!!!1!" wrote:
>> it. They're on the radio every day at every hour at every second. So
>> they sold out. No proof required because I don't care. The music is
>> gay and I won't listen to it.
>
>> I have won once again. I will now return home to support my family
>> after yet another successful battle, or something like that.
>

>>sigh<. You've won? I fail to see how you've "won". Because they are on
>the radio alot, they have sold out? Isn't that the radio station's fault?
>In case you didn't know this, Metallica does not own any radio stations.
>They don't decide what gets played. I don't see how you think that they sold
>out just because they are on the radio alot.
>
>And as for not caring, well, since you have turned this from a simple
>question I asked into what you would call "a battle", you obviously
>DO care.

You sir, obviously have never dealt with T. Iamatus KUTUULUUUSS!!!1!1!!!!1! or
his brand of humor before, have you?

Jakkal
"ALRIGHT!....Is it Wango?! Is it Tango?!"
"I can kick someone's ass ten different styles"
"YEAH, right, and monkeys might fly outta my butt!"
http://members.tripod.com/~PeanutChew/index.html
"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!"

Jakkal Keeper of the Golden Rod

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99
>So why would people hate Re/Load, but not the black album? They cut
>their friggin' hair. Someone looked at the picture, said "Holy
>shit. They got short hair." So they assumed the band changed, and
>started hearing "sellout music", because they wanted to hear it.
>Punch of goddamn posers.

Loads were worse than the black album. It sounded much more like butt-rock.
The singing sucked. It was even less heavy. I don't mind Metallica doing
"Nothing ELse Matters" because it's a pretty good song (not as good as
disposable heroes though...). But I find most Load music unlistenable. I
didn't care for the recording quality either, but if an album is good enough
that can be looked past. But the Loads just weren't good enough.

Jakkal Keeper of the Golden Rod

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99
>You're probably thinking "Well you can't prove that they didn't sell
>out." True, but I don't have to. In my country, at least, one is
>innocent until proven guilty. Right until proven wrong. The burden
>of proof lies in the hands of you, the one trying to prove that they
>did, in fact sell out.

What wonderful country do you live in where this is true?

Met K.

Nov 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/23/99
defj...@aol.comstipate (Jakkal Keeper of the Golden Rod) wrote in
<19991123181740...@ng-cq1.aol.com>:
>Loads were worse than the black album. It sounded much more like butt
>-rock. The singing sucked. It was even less heavy. I don't mind
>Metallica doing "Nothing ELse Matters" because it's a pretty good song
>(not as good as disposable heroes though...). But I find most Load
>music unlistenable. I didn't care for the recording quality either, but
>if an album is good enough that can be looked past. But the Loads just
>weren't good enough.
>

>Jakkal
>"ALRIGHT!....Is it Wango?! Is it Tango?!"
>"I can kick someone's ass ten different styles"
>"YEAH, right, and monkeys might fly outta my butt!"
>http://members.tripod.com/~PeanutChew/index.html
>"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!"

Load has a couple good songs, but, I am with you it's probably my
least favorite of all Metallica CDs (there is a thing!), but I love
Re-Load. Seems Re-Load has alot better songs, dunno why. But
companion-discs tend to be like that from what I've noticed, one is
way better than the other. Oh well.
Buttrock = Bad? What about Butthole Surfers?
Met K.

Patrick Moore

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99

Erlend Steinsvik <shionRE...@c2i.net> wrote in article
<ufe_3.917$Zc3....@juliett.dax.net>...

> >People have been saying they sold out since RTL, when they put in the
> >acoustic intro to Fade to Black and the intro to Fight Fire with Fire.
This
> >is nothing new....
>

> Hmm... I wonder where you live? Nobody have said that they have sold out
> since RTL.

> --
> Erlend Steinsvik - ICQ: 21755955

Were you born at the time of RTL? I sure hell was and I can also say they
were said to be sold out cause of tunes like Fade or even Bells.

George Olschewski

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99
On 23 Nov 1999 23:17:40 GMT, defj...@aol.comstipate (Jakkal Keeper

of the Golden Rod) wrote:

>Loads were worse than the black album. It sounded much more like butt-rock.
>The singing sucked. It was even less heavy. I don't mind Metallica doing
>"Nothing ELse Matters" because it's a pretty good song (not as good as
>disposable heroes though...). But I find most Load music unlistenable. I
>didn't care for the recording quality either, but if an album is good enough
>that can be looked past. But the Loads just weren't good enough.

In that I will agree. . . there are only a handful of songs on both
albums (Load and Reload) that I really enjoy. Of these songs are what
most would consider the "heavier" songs.

George

L'Crowe

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99
The discussion is definitely old news. The lingering doubt is 'What happened?'
I must be missing what they are trying to say on Load. Maybe I just need to
hear it again. So, I listened to Load a couple nights ago. There were elements
of swagger, but it never came together. When I compare it to other swagger
albums such as Exile on Main Street, Amorica, Dose, and Presence, Load is a
sleeper. First of all, one thing that the other albums impart is a lot more
musical sophistication. It's hard to go from metal to swinging rock in one
album. That's not an insignificant change. The whole architecture of Metallica
was reordered. Another thing these albums are able to do, to varying extents,
is build up the instrumental passages within songs. On Load, 80% of the songs
are based around simple lyrics, with short solos and negligble intervening
musical interludes. An album like Dose, of which Hetfield is a big fan, plods
to a somnambulent pace, but the music is so dense and rich, nothing like the
music on the Loads. On Presence, the band is in an extremely tight frame of
mind. Bonham drums circles around Ulrich's Load efforts. Page outplays
Hetfield and Hammett with one hand, literally, in this album comparison. JPJ's
thundering Presence bass creates a lot more counterpoint than Jason's, yet it
echoes the drums and advances the cause of the rhyhm section. Plant's lyrics
and singing are more from the heart than ever. It is an extremely bluesy album
and unfortunately lost amid their happier hippy-era FM classics. On Exile,
another jamming album that Ulrich is trying to move towards, we hear ascendant
highs and mordant lows. On the first song alone, Rocks Off, The Stones go on an
emotional rollercoaster, and the sound amplifies that effect. It's effusive and
infectious. Moreover, the keyboard and hornwork are carefully interwoven to
create stunning harmonic melodies. There's a huge amount of variation from song
to song. There are more careless throwaways in the Loads than I care to
remember. There is little attention to harmony or melody or percussion or even
simple cohesive jamming. The blues solos are flat. One thing Load does have is
it has the incredible energy within Metallica, blunted perhaps, but still
showing above the surface. I think Bob Rock has done a tremendous job with the
bass, both in orchestration and in sound quality, but I think he has taken the
life out of the vocals by insisting on endless takes and a perfect sound. He
wants compelling performances, and I can agree with his desire to get a
meaningful singing performance, but the result in my ears sounds synthetic. The
muting of the guitars hasn't been so great either. The strong percussive
quality of their guitar patterns has melted into the muddy middle. The band,
which had put a lot of effort into building that heavy sound in the 1980s, imo,
needs to put the same kind of effort into this transition if they expect it to
be a critical success with the majority of the fans. I think the fans are a lot
more open minded than Metallica would like to believe. We can handle non-metal,
most of us at least. Metallica used to have a pride in their music and, I just
don't hear it anymore. I hear a 'We can do anything' approach. Styistically,
they can do anything they like and I will buy it. But I require their respect
as a listener. I get the feeling on Load that I am being inundated with B-grade
material. I could care less if Metallica is gay or not. I could care less how
they dress or wear their hair. The pictures of them these last years betray the
signs of a band caught up in cigar and wine connoisseur pursuits, stuck in
clothing stores, and the music betrays laziness as well. They played MSG last
night. In years past, I would have travelled hours in the dead of night alone
to see them. Now, I didn't even both to hop the train 15 minutes to see them.
That's too bad.

scarecrow wrote:

> And how about the mid-80's interviews in which they "bitch and complain"
> that
> because of the shit they took for being too different? Sure they've gotten
> criticism
> their entire career, but anyone who was around "in that day and age...
> ahem," knew
> they were the originators of a new sound... AND that they would achieve
> super-stardom.
>
> Their music had more drive and complexity to it then. They're not a
> "hungry" band
> anymore. More power to 'em to do what they want, but then they did it their
> way.
> Like them or not... it's your prerogative. The discussion is old news.
>
> L'Crowe <nigh...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > If you were a real fan, you'd have read early 1990s interviews and seen
> > interviews in which Jaymz says that the radio was an important new target
> > audience for them. Read it and weap. Rent a Year and a Half. Metallica
> > wanted to attract the mass market, and they hired a sound consultant, Bob
> > Rock, to help them COMMERCIALIZE their sound. Sorry. Bob Rock didn't
> > offer an artistic chance taking dimension. He offered a balanced sound
> > system and knowledge for how to get the tunes and singles on the radio.
> > Watch the video.
> >
> > "Jonathan D. Look" wrote:
> >
> > > Exactly. You cannot prove that they sold out. You have no basis for
> > > saying that they sold out. You just don't like the new music, and
> > > coupled with the short hair, you just needed to bitch and complain,
> > > and you couldn't find any REAL problems with the music, so you made
> > > one up. You absolutely CANNOT prove that Metallica sold out, so you
> > > may as well shut up about.
> >
> > `> a crowe by any other color is still a crowe `>

--
`> a crowe by any other color is still a crowe `>

scarecrow

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99

<Claps hands>
Bravo!
I was ready to give up on this ng.

L'Crowe <nigh...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

L'Crowe

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99
Thanks "Scarecrow". I want to talk about S&M. I am not going to buy this. I
think that this was another big mistake for Metallica. I love symphonies. In
fact, I have five separate subscriptions to symphonies in this town (NYC), and
there is nothing I would love more than to hear Metallica compose for a full
orchestra, or even compose for string quartet. Why not? They're brilliant and
inspired.

Ultimately, for me, S&M boils down to fancy muzak because the ingredients that
went into it don't sound complementary. Imagine a pot, and into it go a lemon
chiffon cake, a radish, two dill pickles, and BBQ chicken. What do you call
that? Are you going to be the first one to pay $16 and take a bite? Not me.
If Metallica had personally taken control of the project and given it their all
for two years, I'd buy the CD, the movie, the T shirt, the book, and the guitar
transciption. What happened here is that, instead of getting Bob Rock, we're
getting Michael Kamen. His vision is orthogonal to Metallica's. He's a
different artist. Perhaps there is something Mahleresque about Metallica. I
agree with that general premise. The Theater of the Grotesque, songs for a
bomb shelter. Dense, fuguelike, and desperate, like Mahler. The coming of the
apocalypse. But Metallica switched to auto-pilot again and brought in another
outside 'expert' to fly the plane for them. Maybe what I don't realize is that,
prior to Bob Rock, Cliff Burton was their outside expert. It is certainly
starting to sound that way. He was the one who embodied their compositional
strengths.

scarecrow wrote:

> <Claps hands>
> Bravo!
> I was ready to give up on this ng.

`> a crowe by any other color is still a crowe `>

Erlend Steinsvik

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
>Were you born at the time of RTL? I sure hell was and I can also say they
>were said to be sold out cause of tunes like Fade or even Bells.

Actually I were born the same year RTL got out, but I don't believ that
people can be so ignorant that they think making metal ballads is selling
out.
--
Erlend Steinsvik - ICQ: 21755965

"From rivers of sorrow to oceans deep with hope
I have travelled them all"

Chuck Schuldiner

Starless and Bible Black

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
>Subject: Re: Sellout?
>From: L'Crowe nigh...@ix.netcom.com
>Date: Wed, 24 November 1999 05:42 PM EST

Actually, S&M isn't half bad. The orchestra adds harmonic flair and variety to
the often over-simplistic newer material. A welcome surprise was the version
of One, which came together extremely well. I think S&M shows where Metallica
needs to do some snipping in their future songwriting, though; namely, songs
like Fuel, which are too much like bluesy hard rock a la AC/DC, which is not
Metallica's forte. Fuel came off sounding so contrived with the orchestra,
that it's evident that Metallica can't do the simple rock thing well when even
an orchestra can't spice it up. They can keep the melodic, lighter songs
(which I think they can do a decent to good job with), but instead of these BS
filler songs like Prince Charming and Bad Seed (which try to "rawk", but fall
flat), they need to stick in some of the older-styled, more symphonic yet heavy
pieces. No rewrites of "classic" Metallica are needed, but something with
ambition would be nice.

Jim Gordon

The Missing Link (members.aol.com/JGordon452/missinglink1.html); Now
un-updated!

"No access to source code is like picking up the soap in a prison
shower. Maybe you'll be OK. Just maybe..."

Ronnie Long

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99

James Boswell wrote in message <81bvg5$7lh$1...@news6.svr.pol.co.uk>...

>> Now, I bow before you, in preemptive awe of what I shall surely see when
>> view this argument (assuming it's somewhere on the ng).
>
>No, it was a 4 hour ICQ conversation with me, Shana (Scarecrow), and a pair
>of folks who 'just found god'..

see. they found god. proof enough.

>My machine hung when I closed ICQ tho', so I couldn't save it. (I did TRY
>to.. damnit..)

ha! god doesn't wish to be found by disbelievers like you. ha ha ha!

Ronnie Long

Nov 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/28/99
> This NG is no place for such "awe-inspiring" power such as that.
> If you'd have a bit of FAITH in opening your mind and not >assuming
> all the shit fullsize throws at you is fact, you'd maybe see some
>light
> somewhere.

They light is in my ass and what the hell does fullsize have to do with this
argument? I mean, if he were to show up and call you a dumbassed white
bitch, I think it'd be cool, but that would be the extent of his
involvement. I will accept the responsibility for that post, but I was
totally fucked off my ass. I'm not entirely sure how much alcohol and a
xanex log (yum yum) made me do it. not my fault. Now that I think about
it, I absolve myself of responsiblity. entirely. ha. now it's YOUR fault
I was acting like a raving jackass. deal with it or DIE by my foot. ha ha
ha.

Louis J.M

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99
In article <81ruho$c8g$1...@nntp2.atl.mindspring.net> , "Ronnie Long"
<rug...@geocities.com> wrote:

> They light is in my ass and what the hell does fullsize have to do with this
> argument?

Excuse me...

> Blind Sheep...
> how could you possibly enjoy the massacre of Puppets, or One?
> They couldn't sell another live cd, so the guys decide to do it with a
> faggot orchestra, but fuck the fans, they'll buy anything, we won't even
> re-work the songs, just have the homo put some arrangements over our shit
> and the idiot's will buy it. Metallica is becoming like KISS, they know the
> fans will buy anything, no matter how shitty the project is.

[Grabs The Arrogant One and shoves his head up Ronnie Long's ass]

[Cue: "Through The Never"]

"You see the light m*therfucker!"

"Ouch! Ouch!"

[SQUILSH!]

"MHHMNMN!"

Ok..Carry on.

.-~~-.____ Louis J.M
/ | ' \
( ) O _
\_/-, ,----' // E-Mail: Lou...@BellSouth.net
==== ___// WWW : Coming Soon!
/ \-'~; /~~~(O)----------------------------------------------------
/ __/~| __/ | "Drugs are for people who can't handle reality.
==(______| (_________| Reality is for people who can't handle drugs." - ???

Fullsiz...@webtv.net

Nov 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/29/99
>They light is in my ass and what the hell
>does fullsize have to do with this
>argument? I mean, if he were to show up
>and call you a dumbassed white bitch, I
>think it'd be cool, but that would be the
>extent of his involvement.

Uhh, I was going to call her all my usual cool names I use, but I'll end
up breaking her heart again like I did a while back, hyah, hyah..when
she used to kiss my ass get on my nerves with, "o000oHh FULLCOCK why
d0n't yOou riTe a b o0k, o00hh I jUst loVe Ku-van mEn aNd their bIg
sHaftts..P-p_p-ppLease wWrite tHe bo0k". Besides, she's not a dumb White
bitch..she's "COUSIN IT" god dammit and don't forget it.

>I will accept the responsibility for that
>post, but I was totally fucked off my ass.
>I'm not entirely sure how much alcohol
>and a xanex log (yum yum) made me do
>it.

Damn, homes what're you trying to do..re-rewrite "All Along The
Watchtower"?

Ronnie Long

Dec 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/1/99
Damn, homes what're you trying to do..re-rewrite "All Along The
Watchtower"?

>huh? kick my ass, but tell me what "all along the watchtower" was >after
you do. never heard of it.

Ronnie Long

Dec 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/3/99

Ronnie Long wrote in message <824mg5$24t$1...@nntp3.atl.mindspring.net>...

da fuck is that?

it was SUPPOSED to say:

"huh? kick my ass, but tell me what "all along the watchtower was about
after you do. I've never heard of it."

::shaking head. I gotta lay off some of the shit:::