venture into anime

Light Nick

Feb 5, 2008, 3:09:04 PM2/5/08
I have a friend who highly recommends the anime series Azumanga Daioh,
which is about high school girls and their teachers. I saw a few
episodes before, and the characters and show pop up from time to time
in other contexts on the Internet. So I figure adding them to my
Netflix queue would help me increase my cultural literacy level.

I pressed "play" without looking and ended up playing it dubbed.
I remember hearing about the Southern Osaka Voice, but I may get
used to it. I don't want to have to watch the whole episode again
in Japanese. More annoying is how all the English has to be
un-Englished when it comes up. I watched the third episode subtitled.

Apparently, a lot of the show hinges on little cultural things that
Japanese people take for granted, like stereotypes and habits and
customs. It's the same things that keep Japanese people, or anyone
outside the American southwest, from understanding King of the Hill.

I've only seen the first three episodes. Not really enough to tell
many of the characters apart just yet. Osaka's the tall one with the
gigantic oval-shaped eyes, and can be identified by behavior if nothing
else. Chiyo's 10 so that's obvious. There's a quiet one with really
long hair, and a super-loud one, and I haven't memorized their names
yet. And I've already forgotten Osaka's real name. I haven't
sussed the two teachers yet.

.....................................................http://www.io.com/~nickb

lola...@yahoo.com

Feb 13, 2008, 6:26:36 PM2/13/08

Light Nick wrote:
> I have a friend who highly recommends the anime series Azumanga Daioh,
> which is about high school girls and their teachers. I saw a few
> episodes before, and the characters and show pop up from time to time
> in other contexts on the Internet. So I figure adding them to my
> Netflix queue would help me increase my cultural literacy level.
>
> I pressed "play" without looking and ended up playing it dubbed.
> I remember hearing about the Southern Osaka Voice, but I may get
> used to it. I don't want to have to watch the whole episode again
> in Japanese.

I hear that the Southern Osaka Voice can be a bit of a distraction to
those who are more familiar with the original subs. The first time I
saw AD was the dubbed DVD's, so it was less of an issue.

I generally find that how I see/hear the character voices first
determines weather or not I watch later installments dubbed. Azumanga
Daioh is usually with the dub track because, as I've already stated,
the first time I saw it was the dubbed DVD, while the stuff I've seen
from the fan subs I'll usually watch subbed, since my brain gets
confused when it hears Wendee Lee's voice Coming out of Haruhi
Suzumiya's mouth. I wonder how much the face/voice association
contributes to the sub/dub wars that engulf every anime forum
everywhere?

> More annoying is how all the English has to be
> un-Englished when it comes up. I watched the third episode subtitled.
>
> Apparently, a lot of the show hinges on little cultural things that
> Japanese people take for granted, like stereotypes and habits and
> customs. It's the same things that keep Japanese people, or anyone
> outside the American southwest, from understanding King of the Hill.

The fansubs of Pani Poni Dash tried to get around this problem by
adding subs to explain every in-joke they got (including a drawing of
Osaka and Chiyio-chan on a blackboard in one scene). At least with the
ADV release of the DVD's you could turn them off and have a shot at
understanding what the characters were saying.

> I've only seen the first three episodes. Not really enough to tell
> many of the characters apart just yet. Osaka's the tall one with the
> gigantic oval-shaped eyes, and can be identified by behavior if nothing
> else. Chiyo's 10 so that's obvious. There's a quiet one with really
> long hair, and a super-loud one, and I haven't memorized their names
> yet. And I've already forgotten Osaka's real name. I haven't
> sussed the two teachers yet.
>
> --
> .....................................................http://www.io.com/~nickb

So, this "friend" is /b/, amirite?

yardlet5

Feb 13, 2008, 7:44:09 PM2/13/08
> > ...........................................................................­..
> > ...........................................................................­..
> > ...........................................................................­..

> > .....................................................http://www.io.com/~nickb
>
> So, this "friend" is /b/, amirite?

Sakaki is the tall quiet one who likes cats,Tomo is the loudmouth,Yomi
is the one with glasses and Osaka is the smaller flat chested teen
space cadet. Yukari-sensei is a Tomo with a brain but bipolar. Nyamo-
sensei is her best friend and sensible sister. Kimura's the pervert.

Light Nick

Feb 21, 2008, 4:54:36 PM2/21/08
In article <263b9bcf-f914-4793...@n20g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,

<lola...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>The fansubs of Pani Poni Dash tried to get around this problem by
>adding subs to explain every in-joke they got (including a drawing of
>Osaka and Chiyio-chan on a blackboard in one scene). At least with the
>ADV release of the DVD's you could turn them off and have a shot at
>understanding what the characters were saying.

A few years ago, I was at a hosue that was screening some zany
comedy about a hamster and her abusive owner who herself had some
loser boyfriend but couldn't be expected to do any better because
she's 26 and thus too old to get married to a proper fellow. It's
roughly like an Itchy & Scratchy cartoon with human characters and
nudity.

Before each episode, there was a little prep course that explained
every single joke you were about to see, especially the ones that
were about puns in the Japanese language, because when you're
watching a lonely girl beat the crap out of a hamster, you're in
it for the subtle nuances.

Fandom. Can't figure it.

On the other hand, the Azumanga Daioh DVD's explain none of that,
so I'm left slightly curious about all the dialect references in
the first episode. Why in the heck, y'all! Fortunately, it's
popular, so there's probably a FAQ about it all.

cam....@yahoo.com

Feb 21, 2008, 5:21:41 PM2/21/08
On 21 Feb 2008 21:54:36 GMT, ni...@eris.io.com (Light Nick) wrote:

>In article <263b9bcf-f914-4793...@n20g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
> <lola...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>The fansubs of Pani Poni Dash tried to get around this problem by
>>adding subs to explain every in-joke they got (including a drawing of
>>Osaka and Chiyio-chan on a blackboard in one scene). At least with the
>>ADV release of the DVD's you could turn them off and have a shot at
>>understanding what the characters were saying.
>
>A few years ago, I was at a hosue that was screening some zany
>comedy about a hamster and her abusive owner who herself had some
>loser boyfriend but couldn't be expected to do any better because
>she's 26 and thus too old to get married to a proper fellow. It's
>roughly like an Itchy & Scratchy cartoon with human characters and
>nudity.

That would be Ebichu, part of the Awa Awa Awa = Bubble Bubble Hour.
It was very ecchi and funny. My wife really likes Ebichu, dechu.
The VA does quite a few other voices as well.
I think Ebichu really pushed the limits of what was acceptable on
Japanese TV at the time.
Funny stuff!
The notes that the fansubbers used in Ebichu were very well done.
Probably a bit betterthan Azumanga Daioh actually.
Both great Animes!

Glenn Knickerbocker

Feb 21, 2008, 6:21:05 PM2/21/08
cam....@yahoo.com wrote:
> I think Ebichu really pushed the limits of what was acceptable on
> Japanese TV at the time.

What, it contained schematic representations of pubic hair or something?

ŹR

Rob Kelk

Feb 21, 2008, 6:58:10 PM2/21/08
On 21 Feb 2008 21:54:36 GMT, ni...@eris.io.com (Light Nick) wrote:

<snip>

>On the other hand, the Azumanga Daioh DVD's explain none of that,
>so I'm left slightly curious about all the dialect references in
>the first episode. Why in the heck, y'all! Fortunately, it's
>popular, so there's probably a FAQ about it all.

There were books filled with explanations in all six DVD boxes.

(Oh, let me guess - you bought the stripbox, right? That means you also
missed seeing the Very Short Movie...)

--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/> e-mail: s/deadspam/gmail/
"I'm *not* a kid! Nyyyeaaah!" - Skuld (in "Oh My Goddess!" OAV #3)

Thurdust

Feb 21, 2008, 7:03:08 PM2/21/08
On Feb 21, 5:58 pm, robk...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:
> On 21 Feb 2008 21:54:36 GMT, ni...@eris.io.com (Light Nick) wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >On the other hand, the Azumanga Daioh DVD's explain none of that,
> >so I'm left slightly curious about all the dialect references in
> >the first episode. Why in the heck, y'all! Fortunately, it's
> >popular, so there's probably a FAQ about it all.
>
> There were books filled with explanations in all six DVD boxes.
>
> (Oh, let me guess - you bought the stripbox, right? That means you also
> missed seeing the Very Short Movie...)

Actually, he's renting them from netflix.

Derek Janssen

Feb 21, 2008, 7:11:43 PM2/21/08
Thurdust wrote:

> On Feb 21, 5:58 pm, robk...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:
>
>>On 21 Feb 2008 21:54:36 GMT, ni...@eris.io.com (Light Nick) wrote:
>>
>><snip>
>>
>>>On the other hand, the Azumanga Daioh DVD's explain none of that,
>>>so I'm left slightly curious about all the dialect references in
>>>the first episode. Why in the heck, y'all! Fortunately, it's
>>>popular, so there's probably a FAQ about it all.
>>
>>There were books filled with explanations in all six DVD boxes.
>>
>>(Oh, let me guess - you bought the stripbox, right? That means you also
>>missed seeing the Very Short Movie...)
>
> Actually, he's renting them from netflix.

Don't the Netflix singles still have the pop-up "Cultural notes"?

(Which explain, among other things, why Tomo throws herself against her
desks trying to rehearse an "Osakan comeback"...)

Derek Janssen (hey, you barbarians asked US smart people; we know these
things, that was your choice)
eja...@verizon.net

Light Nick

Feb 21, 2008, 7:21:41 PM2/21/08
In article <9df8c4c1-28b5-4f2c...@p25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,

Thurdust <thur...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Feb 21, 5:58 pm, robk...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:
>> There were books filled with explanations in all six DVD boxes.
>>
>> (Oh, let me guess - you bought the stripbox, right? That means you also
>> missed seeing the Very Short Movie...)
>
>Actually, he's renting them from netflix.

Curious that paying get-to-keep-it money was the default assumption.
Sorry; I have a house down payment to save up for.

I also wonder what kind of giant cryptonomica gets shipped with
Japanese editions of King of the Hill.

Thurdust

Feb 21, 2008, 7:36:21 PM2/21/08
On Feb 21, 6:21 pm, ni...@eris.io.com (Light Nick) wrote:
> In article <9df8c4c1-28b5-4f2c-a3fd-2c31bf321...@p25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,

> Thurdust <thurd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Feb 21, 5:58 pm, robk...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:
> >> There were books filled with explanations in all six DVD boxes.
>
> >> (Oh, let me guess - you bought the stripbox, right? That means you also
> >> missed seeing the Very Short Movie...)
>
> >Actually, he's renting them from netflix.
>
> Curious that paying get-to-keep-it money was the default assumption.

The line between anime fan and weeaboo is getting blurrier and
blurrier with every passing day.

I still can't figure out who buys anime DVD's new, given the price
that the distributors want for them. The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya
goes for $27 per disc, ~$55 if you go for the limited editions. AD is
a bit more reasonable at $78 for the complete series, but it's been
out for a few years now. However, the individual discs still go for
$27.

Matthew L. Martin

Feb 21, 2008, 7:44:04 PM2/21/08
Thurdust wrote:
> On Feb 21, 6:21 pm, ni...@eris.io.com (Light Nick) wrote:
>> In article <9df8c4c1-28b5-4f2c-a3fd-2c31bf321...@p25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
>>
>> Thurdust <thurd...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Actually, he's renting them from netflix.
>> Curious that paying get-to-keep-it money was the default assumption.
>
> The line between anime fan and weeaboo is getting blurrier and
> blurrier with every passing day.
>
> I still can't figure out who buys anime DVD's new, given the price
> that the distributors want for them. The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya
> goes for $27 per disc, ~$55 if you go for the limited editions. AD is
> a bit more reasonable at $78 for the complete series, but it's been
> out for a few years now. However, the individual discs still go for
> $27.

I can only guess that you never bought Anime on laserdisk. It was said
that hard drugs would be cheaper.

Matthew

--
"All you need to start an asylum is an empty room and the right kind of
people". Alexander Bullock ("My Man Godfrey" 1936):

plorkwort

Feb 21, 2008, 11:21:07 PM2/21/08
In article <47bdf31b$0$18418$39ce...@news.twtelecom.net>,

Light Nick <ni...@eris.io.com> wrote:
>who herself had some
>loser boyfriend but couldn't be expected to do any better because
>she's 26 and thus too old to get married to a proper fellow. It's

SIGH.

plorkwort.
--
A girl and a boy bump into each other -- surely an accident.
A girl and a boy bump and her handkerchief drops -- surely another accident.

cam....@yahoo.com

Feb 22, 2008, 12:15:39 AM2/22/08

>¬R

No it had full nudity and sex. Lots of jokes about Dildo's etc....
Funny stuff!
It's an anime that's really funny, if you like ecchi comedy. My wife
nearly pissed herseld laughing the first time she saw it.
I saw it as a fansub a long time ago, no idea if it's commercially
available now.
Watch it if you can.

Glenn Knickerbocker

Feb 22, 2008, 9:48:58 AM2/22/08
cam....@yahoo.com wrote:
> <No...@bestweb.net> wrote:
> >cam....@yahoo.com wrote:
> >> I think Ebichu really pushed the limits of what was acceptable on
> >> Japanese TV at the time.
> >What, it contained schematic representations of pubic hair or something?
> No it had full nudity and sex. Lots of jokes about Dildo's etc....

I'm not seeing what limits that pushed. Half the anime my housemate
showed me 15 years before that--the half made for young boys!--was loaded
with nudity, sex, and tentacle rape. The only things off limits were
pubic hair and realistic penises (oversized ones were fine).

ŹR

Glenn Knickerbocker

Feb 22, 2008, 10:01:18 AM2/22/08
plorkwort wrote:

> Light Nick <ni...@eris.io.com> wrote:
> >she's 26 and thus too old to get married to a proper fellow.
> SIGH.

ITYM "AHEM." HTH.

FWIW, my wife was 31 when we met (I'll let you judge my propriety for
yourself). Even my little sister was 27 before she finally hooked a good
one.

¬R

David DeLaney

Feb 22, 2008, 1:16:54 PM2/22/08

I didn't learn to drive until I was 26. (Well, there was that one driving
course just after high school, but I was only experimenting, I swear; I was
using a faith-based bus system then!)

Dave
--
\/David DeLaney posting from d...@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower

Invid Fan

Feb 22, 2008, 12:58:11 PM2/22/08
In article <47BEE0DA...@bestweb.net>, Glenn Knickerbocker
<No...@bestweb.net> wrote:

You're confusing what's acceptable on video and what's allowed on TV.

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

Glenn Knickerbocker

Feb 22, 2008, 1:02:36 PM2/22/08
David DeLaney wrote:

> Glenn Knickerbocker <No...@bestweb.net> wrote:
> >yourself). Even my little sister was 27 before she finally hooked a good one.
> I didn't learn to drive until I was 26.

I don't think she actually had to resort to running him down on the
street. Not with a car, anyway. Though that alleged tattoo does look an
awful lot like the imprint of a bicycle gear.

ŹR

Invid Fan

Feb 22, 2008, 1:02:13 PM2/22/08
In article <EUovj.8705$8n4....@newsfe07.lga>, Matthew L. Martin
<not...@notnow.never> wrote:

> Thurdust wrote:
> > I still can't figure out who buys anime DVD's new, given the price
> > that the distributors want for them. The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya
> > goes for $27 per disc, ~$55 if you go for the limited editions. AD is
> > a bit more reasonable at $78 for the complete series, but it's been
> > out for a few years now. However, the individual discs still go for
> > $27.
>
> I can only guess that you never bought Anime on laserdisk. It was said
> that hard drugs would be cheaper.

Yeah, it's all in what you're use to and how you value things (for
example, I will buy new hardcover books to replace old paperbacks that
are still readable). What I'm willing to pay for anime has gone down,
but compared to the days of paying $40 for a 45 minute OAV on VHS, it's
still damned cheap.

cam....@yahoo.com

Feb 22, 2008, 2:16:03 PM2/22/08

I wasn't aware that Hentai was shown on Japanese Televison 15 years
ago or even 5 years ago.
Available on VHS/VCD etc... Yes. But not on public TV.
Big difference between a movie and public broadcasting even in Japan.

Darla Vladschyk

Feb 22, 2008, 2:42:56 PM2/22/08
On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 04:21:07 +0000 (UTC), a...@TheWorld.com (plorkwort)
wrote:

>In article <47bdf31b$0$18418$39ce...@news.twtelecom.net>,
>Light Nick <ni...@eris.io.com> wrote:
>>who herself had some
>>loser boyfriend but couldn't be expected to do any better because
>>she's 26 and thus too old to get married to a proper fellow. It's
>
>SIGH.
>
>plorkwort.

Don't pay any attention to him, plorky. I married for the first time
at 31, but didn't get it right until the second time, when I was the
unimaginably old age of 50.

Darla
Nova Scotia, Canada
--
"I'm still here, you bastards!"
---Papillon

http://www.yougotta.com/DARLA/

Light Nick

Feb 22, 2008, 6:11:57 PM2/22/08
In article <fplijj$ujj$1...@pcls6.std.com>, plorkwort <a...@TheWorld.com> wrote:
>In article <47bdf31b$0$18418$39ce...@news.twtelecom.net>,
>Light Nick <ni...@eris.io.com> wrote:
>>who herself had some
>>loser boyfriend but couldn't be expected to do any better because
>>she's 26 and thus too old to get married to a proper fellow. It's
>
>SIGH.

I remind you this cartoon was produced in Japan, where that was the limit
at the time in that culture.

You'll be happy to learn they don't call it "old maid" over there.
They call it "parasite single".