February 5th - St. Indract & St. Dominica of Glastonbury, Martyrs

Weedy

Feb 5, 2010, 12:49:18 PM2/5/10
February 5th - St. Indract & St. Dominica of Glastonbury, Martyrs

Died c. 708-710. An old legend makes Indract an Irish chieftain, who
became
the 21st abbot of Iona. About 854, Indract and his sister Dominica
(Drusa)
set out from Cornwall or Somerset on a pilgrimage to Rome. On their
return
from Rome, they were killed by heathen Saxons together with nine of
their
Irish comrades near Glastonbury. A strong cultus arose immediately.
Their
relics were enshrined at Glastonbury Abbey, which legend connects to
Saints
Patrick, Brigid, and Benignus (f.d. November 9) because it was first
dedicated to Blessed Mary and Saint Patrick and was served by Irish
monks as
late as the 10th century. A still later legend has made Indract and
Dominica
contemporaries of Saint Patrick (Benedictines, D'Arcy, Encyclopaedia,
Fitzpatrick, Kenney, Montague, Moran, O'Kelly).

Another Life:
The Irish Saints at Glastonbury c.700

On this day in the Old English Calendar commemorated SS Indractus,
Dominica
and their Companions. We have to rely on William of Malmsbury for
information about these Martyrs, who were venerated at Glastonbury
Abbey.
Indractus was an Irish chieftain, who had been to Rome on pilgrimage
with
his wife, Dominica, and nine others, and on their return journey they
decided to visit the "Second Rome", as Glastonbury was called, because
of
its holy associations.

There is a tradition that both St. Patrick and St .Bridget spent some
time
at Glastonbury, and there is a district called Beckery, where Bridget
is
supposed to have founded a Convent at the foot of Weary-all Hill. It
was at
Mass in the Chapel of St. Mary Magdalene there, according to the
History of
John of Glastonbury, that King Arthur had the vision of the Cross and
Our
Lady with the Holy Child, which is commemorated in the Arms of the
Abbey.
Another Irish Saint claimed as a visitor to Glastonbury is Benignus,
locally
known as S.Bennings, who was servant and successor to S.Patrick. He
settled
at Meare three miles to the west, where he died, and his body was
translated
to the Abbey in 901, some four hundred years later.

These Irish connections may well have been an added attraction to
Indractus
and his fellow pilgrims, who settled in the district of Shapwick. The
local
people were heathen and thought the party were wealthy merchants,
whereas
their scrips only contained parsley and other seeds to be taken back
Ireland, and their pilgrim staves were tipped with brass and not gold.
When
they had killed them, the natives threw their bodies into a deep pit,
but a
column of light appeared by night revealing the grave of the
Christian
martyrs. Their bodies were taken up and buried in the Abbey in the
eighth
century during the restoration under King Ina.

These Lives are archived at:

Saint Quote:
Why do we talk and gossip so continually, seeing that we so rarely
resume
our silence without some hurt done to our conscience? ... Devout
conversation on spiritual things helpeth not a little to spiritual
progress,
most of all where those of kindred mind and spirit find their ground
of
fellowship in God.
--Thomas à Kempis, from the Imitation of Christ

Bible Quote:
And because you are sons, God hath sent the Spirit of his Son into
your
hearts, crying: Abba, Father.
Therefore now he is not a servant, but a son. And if a son, an heir
also
through God. (Galatians 4:6-7)

<><><><>
PRAYER TO THE MIRACULOUS INFANT OF PRAGUE

Dear Jesus, Little Infant of Prague,
how tenderly you love us!
Your greatest joy is to dwell among us
and to bestow your blessing upon us.
So many who turned to you with confidence
have received graces
and had their petitions granted.
I also come before you now
with this special request (list intention here).

Dear Infant, rule over me
and do with me and mine as you will,
for I know that in your divine wisdom and love
you will arrange everything for the best.
Do not withdraw your hand from me,
but protect and bless me forever.

Dear Infant, help me in my needs.
Make me truly happy with you in time and in eternity,
and I shall thank you forever
with all my heart. Amen.