November 15th - St. Fintan of Rheinau

Linda

Nov 15, 2004, 12:50:42 PM11/15/04
November 15th - St. Fintan of Rheinau, OSB Hermit (AC)
(also known as Findan)

Born in Leinster; died 879. Irish calendars commemorate 55 saints named
Fintan. While still a youth, this Saint Fintan was carried off from Leinster
to the Orkneys as a slave by Norse raiders. Pledging that he would make a
pilgrimage to Rome, Fintan managed to escape by jumping into the sea and
swimming to Scotland, where he was received by a kindly bishop. Two years
later he began his pilgrimage on the continent, travelling first to Rome,
then to the Benedictine abbey of Farfa in Sabina.

Fintan spent his last 27 years with some Irish hermits in the Black Forest
on the island of Rheinau, near Schaffhausen on the Rhein. Fintan drew up a
rule whereby the hermits lived as did the religious of their homeland. The
last 22 of the 27 years were spent in almost total solitude, during which he
was subject to many mystical experiences. The words he heard spoken in his
native tongue by demons and angels were recorded by a 10th-century
biographer and represent some of the earliest specimens of Gaelic that have
survived.

The hermit's sacramentary (Kantonsbibl. 30) of the "Gelasian" type, which
originated at Nivelles and contains a calendar with numerous devotions to
Irish saints, is preserved in the University Library at Zurich. His Missal
can be seen at the Saint Gall Library. In 1446, Saint Fintan was enshrined
at Rheinau, where his feast is still celebrated (Attwater, Benedictines,
D'Arcy, Daniel- Rops, Farmer, Gougaud, Kenney, Montague, Tommasini).

Bible Quote:

19 My brethren, if any of you err from the truth, and one convert him: 20 He
must know that he who causeth a sinner to be converted from the error of his
way, shall save his soul from death, and shall cover a multitude of sins.
(James 5:19-20)

<><><><>
Martyrology

The birthday of St. Eugene, Bishop of Toledo and martyr. He was a disciple
of Blessed Dionysius the Areopagite. Having finished the course of martyrdom
near Paris, he received from the Lord the crown of his blessed suffering.
His body was afterward transferred to Toledo in Spain.

At Nola in Campania, Blessed Felix, bishop and martyr. From the age of
fifteen, he was remarkable for his miracles. Under the prefect Marcianus, he
completed, together with thirty companions, the course of martyrdom.

At Edessa in Mesopotamia, the suffering of St. Abibus, deacon. He was
mangled with hooks under the Emperor Licinius and the governor Lysanias, and
was then burned alive.

In the same place, the holy martyrs Gurias and Samonas, under the Emperor
Diocletian and the governor Antoninus.

In Africa, the holy martyrs Secundus, Fidentianus, and Varicus.

At Archingcay, in the territory of Saintes, the birthday of St. Malo, Bishop
of Aleth in Gaul. Born in England, he was famous for his miracles from his
earliest years.

At Verona, St. Luperius, bishop and confessor.

At Klosterneuburg near Vienna, in Austria, St. Leopold, margrave of the same
province of Austria. He was canonized by Pope Innocent VIII.

<<>><<>><<>>
Invocation to the Holy Spirit for the Family

Oh Holy Spirit, come into every fiber of our being and inflame
our hearts with the fire of Thy love. Oh breath of God, come help
us to be meek and humble of heart. Oh Holy Spirit, come into our
life and be the every breath we take.

In the morning, when we open our eyes, come Holy Spirit.
When we offer our morning prayer, come Holy Spirit.
As we begin our daily responsibilities, come Holy Spirit.
As we prepare for Holy Mass, come Holy Spirit.
When we are weak in our prayers, come Holy Spirit.
When we have family quarrels, come Holy Spirit.
In the midst of great turmoil, come Holy Spirit.
In our work, our play and throughout the day, come Holy Spirit.
When our day is finished and we retire to bed, come Holy Spirit.
When our hearts are wounded, come Holy Spirit.
During our family prayer and activities, come Holy Spirit.
When we despise and ridicule one another, come Holy Spirit.
During our studies and quiet time, come Holy Spirit.
When we are fearful and feel unloved, come Holy Spirit.
When the evil one attacks us, come Holy Spirit.
When we fall into temptation, come Holy Spirit.
When we are disobedient to the teaching of the Church, come Holy Spirit.
When we humiliate one another, come Holy Spirit.
When we are not truthful to one another, come Holy Spirit.
When we criticize one another, come Holy Spirit.
When we abandon our children and abuse them, come Holy Spirit.
When we are not living our marriage vows and our marriage suffers,
come Holy Spirit.
When our hearts are prideful and we lack in charity, come Holy Spirit.
When we are angry and refuse to forgive, come Holy Spirit.
When we are jealous and envy the gifts that others have, not recognizing
our own gifts, come Holy Spirit.
When our faith is weak and we are nervous and restless, come Holy Spirit.
When we have addictions and are codependent on those things that destroy
our relationship with God, come Holy Spirit.
When there is no love in our family and our children turn away from God,
come Holy Spirit.
When the spirit of fornication, adultery and divorce dwells in our hearts,
come Holy Spirit.
When we need financial guidance, come Holy Spirit.
When we prepare to receive the sacrament of Reconciliation, come Holy
Spirit.
In our poverty, our illness and when we are homeless, come Holy Spirit.
When our loved ones leave this world and when tragedy happens,
come Holy Spirit.
When we are without family, come Holy Spirit.
When we lack wisdom and discernment, come Holy Spirit.
At the moment of our death, come Holy Spirit.
Now and forever and in every need that we have, come Holy Spirit.

Oh Holy Spirit, God speaks through You. He gave You to us, therefore,
You are our Helper, our Consoler, our Comforter. You are our everything
and You know our every need. Come and bless this humble prayer that we
offer You as a family. Come Holy Spirit, please accept and hear our prayer.
Come Holy Spirit, come to us as a family. Amen.