who said: In theory there is no difference...?

Joern Lodahl

Oct 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/23/97

Often I read this lovely quote:
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice there is."
I have searched through the WWW and found it frequently, as stated
above or slightly modified.

It is said to be due to Yogi Berra, J. Templeman, Dave Jeske, Chuck
Reid, Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut, Flash Gordon, Joe Golab, ... no
wonder that many just state the author as "anonymous".

But to get this solved once and for all, I call upon the wisdom of
alt.quotations:
Where is the quote from?

I would appreciate any documentation which is more that just a claim,
that is a reference to a document, speach, movie, episode or whatever is
possible.

We cannot continue this way, can we? ;-)

Thanks in advance!

Joern

--
Joern Lodahl - I used to be a Falcon...
(remove SPAMFILTR from above address) http://www.mi.aau.dk/~jqrn/

Ed C

Oct 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/23/97

Joern Lodahl wrote:

> Often I read this lovely quote:
> "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.
> In practice there is."
> I have searched through the WWW and found it frequently, as stated
> above or slightly modified.
>
> It is said to be due to Yogi Berra, J. Templeman, Dave Jeske, Chuck
> Reid, Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut, Flash Gordon, Joe Golab, ... no
>

> Joern
>
> --

Hi:

I found a couple of quotes that are close:

A thing may look specious in theory, and yet be ruinous in practice; a
thing may look evil in theory, and yet in practice be excellent.-Edmund
Burke (1729-97), British politician at the Impeachment of Warren
Hastings 19 Feb 88.

A first rate theory predicts; a second rate theory forbids, and a third
rate theory explains after the event.-A.I. Kitaigorodskii in Harvest of
a Golden Eye.

Ed :)

Joern Lodahl

Oct 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/25/97

>> "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.
>> In practice there is."

>I found a couple of quotes that are close:

>A thing may look specious in theory, and yet be ruinous in practice; a
>thing may look evil in theory, and yet in practice be excellent.-Edmund
>Burke (1729-97), British politician at the Impeachment of Warren
>Hastings 19 Feb 88.

>A first rate theory predicts; a second rate theory forbids, and a third
>rate theory explains after the event.-A.I. Kitaigorodskii in Harvest of
>a Golden Eye.

Close yes, but not right at the target. I think this is a real
challenge, any suggestions on where to look?