Can you identify these quotes?

John Calley

Oct 28, 1993, 1:38:03 PM10/28/93
I have been trying to find the following quotations. I!ve tried the
standard
reference works without success, though it!s quite possible that my lack
of success says more about my ability to use them than their completeness.

The first is one that I attribute to H.L. Mencken but I!m not sure if my
attribution is correct and I!m not sure of the exact wording. It is
something like the following:
!England and America, two peoples divided by a common language.!

The second I!m even more vague about. It is something like the following:
!Fortune favors the prepared mind.!

I would appreciate any assistance.
Thanks,
John Calley

Bill Gascoyne

Nov 1, 1993, 1:14:49 PM11/1/93
Chance favors only the prepared mind.
LOUIS PASTEUR

The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.
HENRI BERGSON

---

Bill Gascoyne -----
LSI Logic Corp. LSI |LOGIC|
1501 McCarthy Blvd. | |
MS E-197 -----
Milpitas, CA 95035 addr: gascan@dcs4 internet: gas...@lsil.com

Alfred M. Kriman

Nov 9, 1993, 5:57:50 AM11/9/93
In an article (<2ap01r$c...@zippy.Telcom.Arizona.EDU>)
John Calley (<j...@csl.biosci.arizona.edu>)
seeks a source for a suspected Menckenism:

> !England and America, two peoples divided by a common language.!

This is a suspected Shavianism, but has not been found in GBShaw's
published work. Frankly, it sounds too evenhanded for an America-despiser
like Shaw. It may have been derived from Oscar Wilde's
"We have everything in common with America nowadays, except, of
course, language."
from _The Canterville Ghost_.

Bo Leuf

Nov 13, 1993, 2:23:00 PM11/13/93
Alfred M. hacked the following on 09 Nov 93 (to All )...

> From: kri...@acsu.buffalo.edu (Alfred M. Kriman)
>
> In an article (<2ap01r$c...@zippy.Telcom.Arizona.EDU>)
> John Calley (<j...@csl.biosci.arizona.edu>)
> seeks a source for a suspected Menckenism:
>> !England and America, two peoples divided by a common language.!
>
> This is a suspected Shavianism, but has not been found in GBShaw's
> published work. Frankly, it sounds too evenhanded for an America-

> despiser like Shaw. It may have been derived from Oscar Wilde's

> "We have everything in common with America nowadays, except, of
> course, language."
> from _The Canterville Ghost_.

Mm, the quote as such is often attributed to Winston Churchill, but of course
whether it originated with him is another matter.

(illegible signature) Bo Leuf
- Email: bo_...@daggskim.ct.se