Creativity and Thinking quotations

Charles Cave

Mar 23, 1995, 5:13:04 PM3/23/95

Here are some quotations relevant to the topic of "creativity"
and "thinking".

They can also be found on the Creativity Web Pages at
http://www.unidata.com/~ucc01/creative.htm

I am collecting quotations for these web pages, so please
post or email your favourite quotations!

Charles Cave
Sydney, Australia
cha...@jolt.mpx.com.au

Theodore Adorno

A successful work of art is not one which resolves contradictions in a
spurious harmony, but one which expresses the idea of harmony
negatively by embodying the contradictions, pure and uncompromised,
in its innermost structure.

Source: Goldfayl, David

Anonymous

When-ever fear strikes the heart of innocent civilians, Where-ever the
call of duty takes him, he's there, With his helpful hints and deep
wisdom.

Source: Jeffrey Watkins (watk...@cs.curtin.edu.au)

W. H. Auden

To ask the hard question is simple.

Source: Little Zen Companion, Schiller.

J. M. Barrie

I'm not young enough to know everything.

Source: Little Zen Companion, Schiller.

Basho

Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what
they sought.

Source: Little Zen Companion, Schiller.

William Blake

If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to
man as it is, infinite.

Source: Little Zen Companion, Schiller.

I must create a system or be enslaved by another man's. I will not
reason and compare; My business is to create.

Source: Harper Book of Quotations, Harper 1993

Jacob Bronowski

We have to understand that the world can only be grasped by action,
not by contemplation. The hand is more important than the eye... The
hand is the cutting edge of the mind

Source: Little Zen Companion, Schiller.

Frank Capra

A hunch is creativity trying to tell you something.

Source: Harper Book of Quotations, Harper 1993

James Carswell

Whenever man comes up with a better mousetrap, nature immediately
comes up with a better mouse.

Source: Harper Book of Quotations, Harper 1993

John Cassavetes

No matter how old you get, if you can keep the desire to be creative,
you're keeping the man-child alive.

Source: Harper Book of Quotations, Harper 1993

G. K. Chesterton

One sees great things from the valley, only small things from the
peak.

Source: Little Zen Companion, Schiller.

I Ching

When the way comes to an end, then change - having changed, you pass
through.

Source: Little Zen Companion, Schiller.

Jules Combarie

Music is the art of thinking with sounds.

Source: Harper Book of Quotations, Harper 1993

Oliver Cromwell

No one travels so high as he who knows not where he is going.

Source: Goldfayl, David

Charles Dickens

The whole difference between construction and creation is exactly
this: that a thing constructed can only be loved after it is
constructed; but a thing created is loved before it exists.

Source: Gilbert Keith Chesterton in Pickwick Papers

Thomas Edison

Genius is one percent inspiration, and ninety-nine percent
perspiration.

Source: Dictionary of Quotations, Collins Gem

Albert Einstein

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of
eighteen.

Source: Dictionary of Quotations, Collins Gem

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre
minds

Source: g...@ix.netcom.com (Gene Levinson)

1. Out of clutter, find simplicity.
2. From discord, find harmony.
3. In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity
(Three rules of work)

Source: Little Zen Companion, Schiller.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn.

Source: Harper Book of Quotations, Harper 1993

Henry Ford

Whether you believe you can, or whether you believe you can't, you're
absolutely right.

Source: rou...@server.uwindsor.ca (Paul Rousseau)

E. M. Forster

In the creative state a man is taken out of himself. He lets down as
it were a bucket into his subconscious, and draws up something which
is normally beyond his reach. He mixes this thing with his normal
experiences and out of the mixture he makes a work of art.

Source: Harper Book of Quotations, Harper 1993

Julies Sextus Frontinus

Inventions have long since reached their limit, and I see no hope for
further development.

Source: Highly regarded engineer in Rome 1st C A.D.

Ursula K. Le Guin

It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey
that matters, in the end

Source: Little Zen Companion, Schiller.

Ernest Hemingway

You lose it if you talk about it.

Source: Harper Book of Quotations, Harper 1993

Heraclitus

One cannot step twice into the same river.

Source: Little Zen Companion, Schiller.

Dean William R. Inge

What is originality? Undetected plagiarism.

Source: Harper Book of Quotations, Harper 1993

Steve Jobs

You cannot mandate productivity, you must provide the tools to let
people become their best.

Source:

Alfred Korzbyski

The map is not the territory

Source: Little Zen Companion, Schiller.

James Russell Lowell

In creating, the only hard thing's to begin; A grass-blade's no easier
to make than an oak.

Source: Harper Book of Quotations, Harper 1993

Thomas Macaulay

It seems that the creative faculty and the critical faculty cannot
exist together in their highest perfection.

Source: Harper Book of Quotations, Harper 1993

W. Somerset Maugham

Imagination grows by exercise, and contrary to common belief, is more
powerful in the mature than in the young.

Source: Harper Book of Quotations, Harper 1993

Paul McCartney

I used to thing anyone doing anything weird was weird. Now I know that
it is the people that call others weird that are weird.

Source: Jeffrey Watkins (watk...@cs.curtin.edu.au)

Yaqui Mystic

To be a man of knowledge one needs to be light and fluid

Source: Little Zen Companion, Schiller.

Isaac Newton

If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Source: Dictionary of Quotations, Collins Gem

Cesare Pavese

The only joy in the world is to begin.

Source: Little Zen Companion, Schiller.

Pablo Picasso

Source: Little Zen Companion, Schiller.

I do not seek. I find. (Je ne cherche pas; je trouve)

Source: Harper Book of Quotations, Harper 1993

Chinese Proverb

Teachers open the door, but you must enter by yourself.

Source: Little Zen Companion, Schiller.

Ned Rorem

Inspiration could be called inhaling the memory of an act never
experienced.

Source: Harper Book of Quotations, Harper 1993

Zen saying

Be master of mind rather than mastered by mind.

Source: Little Zen Companion, Schiller.

Jonathan Schattke

Neccesity is the mother of invention, it is true -- but it's father is
creativity, and knowledge is the midwife.

Source: wiz...@ripco.com (Jonathan Schattke)

Artur Schnabel

The notes I handle no better than many pianists, But the pauses
between the notes - ah, that is where the art resides!

Source: Little Zen Companion, Schiller.

Stephen Sondheim

Musical comedies aren't written, they are re-written.

Source: Harper Book of Quotations, Harper 1993

Saul Steinberg

The life of the creative man is lead, directed and controlled by
boredom. Avoiding boredom is one of our most important purposes.

Source: Harper Book of Quotations, Harper 1993

Doodling is the brooding of the mind.

Source: Harper Book of Quotations, Harper 1993

Tom Stoppard

Every exit is an entry somewhere else.

Source: Little Zen Companion, Schiller.

Igor Stravinsky

I have learned throughout my life as a composer chiefly through my
mistakes and pursuits of false assumptions, not by my exposure to
founts of wisdom and knowledge.

Source:

Shunryu Suzuki

In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the
expert's mind there are few

Source: Little Zen Companion, Schiller.

Publilius Syrus

The eyes are not responsible when the mind does the seeing.

Source: Harper Book of Quotations, Harper 1993

Russian Fairy Tale

Go - not knowing where. Bring - not knowing what. The path is long,
the way unknown

Source: Little Zen Companion, Schiller.

Henry Thoreau

Our life is frittered away by detail... Simplify, Simplify

Source: Little Zen Companion, Schiller.

Voltaire

Originality is nothing but judicious imitation.

Source: Harper Book of Quotations, Harper 1993

Andrei Voznesensky

The art of creation is older than the art of killing.

Source: Harper Book of Quotations, Harper 1993

Simone Weil

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be
attained only by someone who is detached.

Source: Little Zen Companion, Schiller.

Eudora Welty

I am a writer who came from a sheltered life. A sheltered life can be
daring as wel. For all serious daring starts from within.

Source: Little Zen Companion, Schiller.

Alfred North Whitehead

We think in generalities, but we live in detail

Source: Little Zen Companion, Schiller.

The "silly question" is the first intimation of some totally new
development.

Source: Little Zen Companion, Schiller.

Updated on Sunday, 19 March 1995