PULP 2003 READING

Spider9137

Jan 2, 2003, 4:24:26 PM1/2/03
There was one year when I did my homework before Pulpcon. I always hear people
discussing certain authors, stories, characters, and magazines.

I usually gravitate toward ARGOSY, The Shadow, The Spider ... miscellaneous
stuff. I decided to read material that I wasn't familiar with, from April
through early July, so I could better appreciate eavesdropping on the
conversations at Pulpcon.

During that period, I made it a point to read TARZAN OF THE APES, Dashiel
Hammett's Continental Op stories, Robert E. Howard's Solomon Kane and Conan
stories (I prefer Kane), and miscellaneous material from the western titles.

Now that we're at the beginning of a new year, I'm wondering what I should read
this year ... and what some of you are planning to read. Is there an author or
character that you've never read, but you always hear them discussed by other
fans?

I've decided to target authors and genres this year:
1) H.P. Lovecraft ... for the horror category
2) Max Brand ... western
3) Isaac Asimov ... SF
4) Walter Gibson ... his Norgil the Magician stories (hero pulp)
5) Raoul Whitfield, perhaps, for mystery
6) Romance ... I purchased 100 romance pulps at Gary Lovisi's New York
Paperback Show ... there's bound to be an author I can zero in on.
7) Edgar Rice Burroughs? for adventure? Perhaps a Mars or Venus story?
8) E.S. Dellinger and a few of his characters in RAILROAD STORIES

I haven't decided upon specific stories yet, just authors and genres. Any
suggestions are welcome. Does anyone else plan to read something outside their
usual fare?

Catts4

Jan 3, 2003, 6:45:58 AM1/3/03
MAX BRAND--Always a good choice. Brand maintains a uniform quality -- there
aren't that many stinkers. Plus the convenience of a paperback. Almost all of
my Brands have been bought at used bookstores while I was really looking for
something else, and ended up buting them just to buy something. And with
paperbacks, you don't worry about condition (well, I don't) -- put'em in your
back pocket, under th front seat -- I've have Max Brand in the poolside bag for
the past two summers.

ISAAC ASIMOV -- I've been avoiding re-reading Asimov; afraid it won't be what I
remembered. I did re-read the first two volumes he had of his old pulps --
stuff that had not been collected elsewhere, and it was good pulp SF.

H.P. LOVECRAFT -- I know the flames are coming, but I made the decision years
ago that life was too short and there was too much to read to spend much time
with Lovecraft. Since then, life has gotten shorter, my to-be-read pile has
grown, and there's too much to re-read.

Something different thise year? Maybe I'll get around to making a hole in the
50 copies of WESTERN STORIES from the 1920s.

Dave

Mark Wheatley

Jan 3, 2003, 9:35:51 AM1/3/03
Rather than Asimov I might suggest Stanley Weinbaum (since he died young
and early in his career, he is far more "pulp" than Asimov - and
remarkably readable - there is a LANCER collection of some of his short
stories). An an alternate to Burroughs would be Talbot Mundy or even
Harold Lamb for a blend of Burroughs and Howard.

Spider9137 wrote:

--
HAVE FUN!
-- Mark Wheatley

Bill Jackson

Jan 3, 2003, 9:56:52 AM1/3/03
spide...@aol.com (Spider9137) wrote in message news:<20030102162426...@mb-ct.aol.com>...

> There was one year when I did my homework before Pulpcon. I always hear people
> discussing certain authors, stories, characters, and magazines.
>
> I usually gravitate toward ARGOSY, The Shadow, The Spider ... miscellaneous
> stuff. I decided to read material that I wasn't familiar with, from April
> through early July, so I could better appreciate eavesdropping on the
> conversations at Pulpcon.
>
> During that period, I made it a point to read TARZAN OF THE APES, Dashiel
> Hammett's Continental Op stories, Robert E. Howard's Solomon Kane and Conan
> stories (I prefer Kane), and miscellaneous material from the western titles.
>
> Now that we're at the beginning of a new year, I'm wondering what I should read
> this year ... and what some of you are planning to read. Is there an author or
> character that you've never read, but you always hear them discussed by other
> fans?
>
> I've decided to target authors and genres this year:
> 1) H.P. Lovecraft ... for the horror category

Good choice. I like "Shadow out of Time" and "Call of Cthulhu" best,
although I liked "Cats of Ulthar" the first time I read it in my 3rd
grade reader.

> 2) Max Brand ... western

I have a couple of Max Brand books, but have never read them. I
understand his Whistling Dan Barry is a kind of a western Tarzan.

> 3) Isaac Asimov ... SF

Hard to go wrong here. Even his lesser stories are better than a lot
of people's best. And I still get a chuckle out of "Victory
Unintentional".

> 4) Walter Gibson ... his Norgil the Magician stories (hero pulp)

I've got both the Mysterious Press collections of the Norgil stories.
I think they are excellent.

> 5) Raoul Whitfield, perhaps, for mystery

I've never read any Raoul Whitfield stories. Let us know what they're
like, please.

> 6) Romance ... I purchased 100 romance pulps at Gary Lovisi's New York
> Paperback Show ... there's bound to be an author I can zero in on.

Of course there's the fact that many of the writers may be ones that
you are familair with. Marilyn Ross, who wrote scads of Gothics (and
the Dark Shadows series back in the '60s) was a man, whose name I
don't remember. No telling who is lurking behind a house name in one
of those stories: "He was the cat's pajamas, sitting there swigging
Vat 69. I swivel-hipped over to him, pulled out a gasper, and asked
'Got a light?'"

> 7) Edgar Rice Burroughs? for adventure? Perhaps a Mars or Venus story?

Or O.A. Kline or A.O. Friel. I've got this book called "The Red Gods"
that I really need to finish; I don't remember who wrote it, but it'
pretty good.

> 8) E.S. Dellinger and a few of his characters in RAILROAD STORIES

Y'know, I'd only vaugely heard of railroad stories before I got on
this newsgroup. I still don't know if I'd get into them.

Sounds like you have a fun year ahead of you.

frejac3

Jan 3, 2003, 10:48:01 AM1/3/03
For Burroughs, I would suggest the first three martian novels which
are a self contained trilogy. They are the best of the series. The
Venus novels are nowhere near as good as the Mars novels.

Chris

Jan 3, 2003, 3:47:59 PM1/3/03
spide...@aol.com (Spider9137) wrote in message news:<20030102162426...@mb-ct.aol.com>...

Raymond Chandler - If you like shorter stories "Trouble is my Business"
Longer books all are good but "The Big Sleep" is my favorite.

More Hard-Boiled, Adventures of Race Williams -

Detective: The MoonMan stories are fun! Early Ten Detective Aces.

All Robert Leslie Bellam's Dan Turner HollyWood Detective.

Hugh B. Cave's The Eel stories are fun too!

Best,
Chris

Russ

Jan 4, 2003, 12:32:00 PM1/4/03
I suggest you try the Edgar Rice Burroughs Westerns. APACHE DEVIL, THE
DEPUTY SHERIFF OF COMANCHE COUNTY, AND BANDIT OF HELL'S BEND.
Russ

"Spider9137" <spide...@aol.com> wrote in message
> [...]

Lamont Cranston

Jan 4, 2003, 3:29:22 PM1/4/03
Seems I'm going to *have* to special order the Jo Gar collection,
nobody seems to carry it. Anybody have Chomko's e-mail address?
Whitfield wrote hard-boiled (Death in a Bowl; Green Ice) and air
adventure stuff. Jo Gar in BLACK MASK under the Ramon Decolta pen
name, was different. A detective in the twenties Manila, gave readers a
look at a not well known foriegn locale. Many decades back, EQMM ran
the "Rainbow Murders" series. This was a half dozen Gar stories
concerning stolen jewels, from BLACK MASK magazine c.1931.
See, "Magician Murder" in TOUGH GUYS and DANGEROUS DAMES (Gar); "Sal the
Dude" in THE BLACK MASK BOYS (air). I believe "Mistral" from ADVENTURE
mag, is in HARDBOILED. I think "China Man" (Gar) is in a fairly recent
anthology also.

Jeff

Jan 4, 2003, 5:19:29 PM1/4/03
Crippen & Laudru Publishers have a new collection of Jo Gar stories just out
called "Jo Gar's Casebook" Their webpage is http://www.crippenlandru.com/.
$20 for the trade softcover, $45 for the hardback.

Jeff
Lamont Cranston <twoba...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Bill Thom

Jan 4, 2003, 6:36:01 PM1/4/03
> Anybody have Chomko's e-mail address?
Mike Chomko's email address is cho...@enter.net
Back on 06 December I posted on the COMING ATTRACTIONS
website that Mike was offering the softcover for $19 postpaid and the
clothbound for $45 postpaid.

Bill Thom
http://members.cox.net/comingattractions/index.html

ghannah

Jan 4, 2003, 8:11:40 PM1/4/03
A number of things on my bookshelf that I've bought in the last year
that I want to get stuck into.

"Ancient Sorceries and other stories" by Algernon Blackwood.
Started this. Love his stuff. A true master at creating creepy
atmosphere

"The Beasts of Tarzan" by ERB
Never read a Tarzan so I'm looking forward to this one which I believe
is the 3rd Tarzan novel

"Spykiller"
One of those Nick Carter Killmaster novels.
Yeah I know, it's 1970s action schlock and light years away from the
original Nick Carter but I enjoyed the last Killmaster I read so I
don't mind another one.

"The Dead Beat" by Robert Bloch
Rare Bloch novel that came out after Psycho. Only ever read his short
stories and know nothing about this one.

"The Executioner: Chicago Wipeout" by Don Pendleton
Never read any of these but had to buy this when I saw him strangling
a guy on the front cover. This is number 8 in the series.

"Conan the Adventurer" and "Conan the Warrior" by Howard and De Camp.
I'm new to Conan but have read other Howard works. Looking forward to
these.

"Horror Hunters"
One of those 1970s horror collections that probably came out once and
was never reprinted but has a stellar line up of authors Sturgeon,
Howard, Lovecraft, Derlerth, Bloch, Fritz Leiber and William Hope
Hodgeson. Most stories originally appearing in "Weird Tales."

Well that's my list.
Better start reading.

Glen Hannah
gha...@melbpc.org.au