4K keys increasing size of messages?

Anonymous

Dec 30, 2014, 2:08:21 PM12/30/14
I just noticed that messages encrypted using a 4K key appear to
be larger that those using the 1K keys. In some cases double to
three times. Will this cause the messages to fail if they
encounter a remailer message size limit?

Bergman Admin

Dec 31, 2014, 7:35:30 AM12/31/14

Anonymous Remailer (austria)

Dec 31, 2014, 9:54:32 AM12/31/14

> I just noticed that messages encrypted using a 4K key appear to be larger
> that those using the 1K keys. In some cases double to three times. Will
> this cause the messages to fail if they encounter a remailer message size
> limit?

> Mixmaster remailers make every outgoing message the same size (approx 28K).
> If the original message is smaller than 28k it will be padded. If it is
> larger than 28K it will be broken into multiple 28K pieces.

> And so you need not worry about Mixmaster messages being rejected because they
> are too large.

> PGP-encrypted messages are a different story. They are not padded to 28k
> like mix messages are.

I think he is talking about klen.

Bergman Admin

Dec 31, 2014, 12:02:11 PM12/31/14
Yes, I assumed he was talking about klen.

So, for example Paranoia Remailer has a klen of 150k.
It would therefore accept a mix message of length 28k.
And it would silently drop a cpunk message of 151k.

Anonymous

Dec 31, 2014, 12:12:18 PM12/31/14
On Wed, 31 Dec 2014 12:02:05 -0500, Bergman Admin <nob...@bergman.delphy.org> wrote:

>Yes, I assumed he was talking about klen.
>
>So, for example Paranoia Remailer has a klen of 150k.
>It would therefore accept a mix message of length 28k.
>And it would silently drop a cpunk message of 151k.

My understanding is that a klen of 150k would also drop a multi-part mix message to the final recipient that exceeded 150k.

Bergman Admin

Dec 31, 2014, 12:43:09 PM12/31/14
You are likely correct, Stray Cat. And I'm mistaken. I'm going to send a few
multi-part test messages to confirm.
Message has been deleted

Anonymous Remailer (austria)

Dec 31, 2014, 2:53:19 PM12/31/14

> Yes, I assumed he was talking about klen.

> So, for example Paranoia Remailer has a klen of 150k.
> It would therefore accept a mix message of length 28k.
> And it would silently drop a cpunk message of 151k.

> My understanding is that a klen of 150k would also drop a multi-part mix message to the final recipient that exceeded 150k.

Sounds like Bergman is about to eat crow again.

John Kennerson

Dec 31, 2014, 4:30:43 PM12/31/14
In article
<dcb8aaltqiquql0h4...@news.stray.cat.edu>
Yes that is what I was asking about. Thank you all for
responding. I think I understand this better now.