Fandom

typhonblue

Nov 28, 2003, 5:22:56 PM11/28/03
I'm curious about polyamory and fandom, I know that there have been a few
poly panels at conventions in Seattle, and I'm wondering how many of you are
active in fandom?

Kris Hasson-Jones

Nov 28, 2003, 5:58:42 PM11/28/03
On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 22:22:56 GMT, "typhonblue"
<typhonma...@shaw.ca> submitted the following for your
consideration:

>I'm curious about polyamory and fandom, I know that there have been a few
>poly panels at conventions in Seattle, and I'm wondering how many of you are
>active in fandom?

Define fandom. <g>

I'm not poly, but I am active in fandom. Orycon has a polyamory panel
every year. (That's the Portland, Oregon convention that was just a
couple of weeks ago.)
--
Kris Hasson-Jones sni...@pacifier.com
But I *am* present as the truth of myself!

Pat Kight

Nov 28, 2003, 6:20:46 PM11/28/03

I'm not, but many of my dear ones are.

--
Pat Kight
kig...@peak.org

Rob Wynne

Nov 28, 2003, 6:23:00 PM11/28/03

I am, and have been for many years.

-R

--
Rob Wynne / The Autographed Cat / d...@america.net
http://www.autographedcat.com/ / http://autographedcat.livejournal.com/

typhonblue

Nov 28, 2003, 7:07:57 PM11/28/03

"Kris Hasson-Jones" <sni...@pacifier.com> wrote in message

> On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 22:22:56 GMT, "typhonblue"
> <typhonma...@shaw.ca> submitted the following for your
> consideration:
>
> >I'm curious about polyamory and fandom, I know that there have been a few
> >poly panels at conventions in Seattle, and I'm wondering how many of you
are
> >active in fandom?
>
> Define fandom. <g>
>
> I'm not poly, but I am active in fandom. Orycon has a polyamory panel
> every year. (That's the Portland, Oregon convention that was just a
> couple of weeks ago.)

AGH! Not again!

Orycon? I think the calgary westercon committee might have sent a delegate
out to Orycon. I don't know for sure tho.

We were out in force at the last westercon in Seattle, however.

typhonblue

Nov 28, 2003, 7:19:13 PM11/28/03

"typhonblue" <typhonma...@shaw.ca> wrote in message

And Torcon.

Bearpaw

Nov 28, 2003, 8:05:23 PM11/28/03

Not me, I just read the stuff.

Bearpaw

--
~~~~~~~~~~~ bear...@earthlink.net ~~~~~~~~~~~~
Will do database/computer support for an interesting

Kris Hasson-Jones

Nov 28, 2003, 8:23:03 PM11/28/03
On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 00:07:57 GMT, "typhonblue"

<typhonma...@shaw.ca> submitted the following for your
consideration:

>"Kris Hasson-Jones" <sni...@pacifier.com> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 22:22:56 GMT, "typhonblue"
>> <typhonma...@shaw.ca> submitted the following for your
>> consideration:
>>
>> >I'm curious about polyamory and fandom, I know that there have been a few
>> >poly panels at conventions in Seattle, and I'm wondering how many of you
>are
>> >active in fandom?
>>
>> Define fandom. <g>
>>
>> I'm not poly, but I am active in fandom. Orycon has a polyamory panel
>> every year. (That's the Portland, Oregon convention that was just a
>> couple of weeks ago.)
>
>AGH! Not again!
>
>Orycon? I think the calgary westercon committee might have sent a delegate
>out to Orycon. I don't know for sure tho.

What about that con in Vancouver, BC? Garth (I can't remember his
last name) was here for Orycon from there.

typhonblue

Nov 28, 2003, 8:30:58 PM11/28/03

"Kris Hasson-Jones" <sni...@pacifier.com> wrote in message

Yep. Two people went to that.

Hmm... I don't remember a Garth. But then I'm terrible with names.

Stef

Nov 29, 2003, 1:42:50 PM11/29/03
In article <4VPxb.514513$6C4.365955@pd7tw1no>,

I go to one or two cons a year.

--
Stef ** avid/sensible/sensual/wise/essential/elemental/tangle
** st...@cat-and-dragon.com <*> http://www.cat-and-dragon.com/stef

rhabdophobid

Dec 1, 2003, 11:53:58 AM12/1/03

"Stef" <st...@panix.com> wrote in message

isn't anyone goinna define "fendom," or what?!
jess

Personal Electroencephalogram

Dec 1, 2003, 2:23:27 PM12/1/03
"rhabdophobid" <rhabdo...@verizon.net>, in article <GmKyb.19791$lF6....@nwrdny01.gnilink.net>, dixit:

>"Stef" <st...@panix.com> wrote in message
>> In article <4VPxb.514513$6C4.365955@pd7tw1no>,
>> typhonblue <typhonma...@shaw.ca> wrote:
>> >I'm curious about polyamory and fandom, I know that there have been a
>> >few poly panels at conventions in Seattle, and I'm wondering how many
>> >of you are active in fandom?

>> I go to one or two cons a year.

>isn't anyone goinna define "fendom," or what?!

It's a bit of a floating definition, but in this context is being
taken to mean science-fiction fandom, the subculture of going to SF
cons and (or?) avidly reading fantasy and SF literature.
--
Piglet, pig...@piglet.org http://unitedforpeace.org/
End the Occupation of Iraq

Pat Kight

Dec 1, 2003, 3:25:00 PM12/1/03
Personal Electroencephalogram wrote:
> "rhabdophobid" <rhabdo...@verizon.net>, in article <GmKyb.19791$lF6....@nwrdny01.gnilink.net>, dixit:
>
>>"Stef" <st...@panix.com> wrote in message

>>>I go to one or two cons a year.
>

>>isn't anyone goinna define "fendom," or what?!
>

> It's a bit of a floating definition, but in this context is being
> taken to mean science-fiction fandom, the subculture of going to SF
> cons and (or?) avidly reading fantasy and SF literature.

Heh. Well, if avidly reading is enough, then I guess I *am* active in
fandom. My activity just never makes it out my front door. (-:

--
Pat Kight
kig...@peak.org

Cally Soukup

Dec 1, 2003, 3:47:53 PM12/1/03
Personal Electroencephalogram <pig...@panix.com> wrote in article <bqg4ff$54i$1...@reader2.panix.com>:

> "rhabdophobid" <rhabdo...@verizon.net>, in article <GmKyb.19791$lF6....@nwrdny01.gnilink.net>, dixit:

>>isn't anyone goinna define "fendom," or what?!

> It's a bit of a floating definition, but in this context is being
> taken to mean science-fiction fandom, the subculture of going to SF
> cons and (or?) avidly reading fantasy and SF literature.

It's a bit of a hot-button subject for some people, but I'd say a
person isn't a member of fandom unless he or she interacts with fandom
in some way, be it by going to conventions or club meetings, reading
(and perhaps writing or writing to) fanzines, or participating in
fannish groups electronically, such as the rec.arts.sf.fandom
newsgroup. Fandom is its own subculture, and it's quite possible to be
a member of fandom and yet not read fantasy and/or sf any more, or a
person who reads great amounts of fantasy and/or sf and yet not be a
member of fandom.

For most practical purposes, one can say that a "fan" (in the meaning
of a member of fandom) is someone who defines themselves as a fan. In
other words, one who has both heard of and interacted enough with
fandom, however defined, to know what that means, and affiliates
themselves with it.

Yes, this definition is fuzzy, but so are the borders of fandom.

--
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend
to the death your right to say it." -- Beatrice Hall

Cally Soukup sou...@pobox.com

nicole

Dec 1, 2003, 7:12:16 PM12/1/03
rhabdophobid <rhabdo...@verizon.net> wrote:

> isn't anyone goinna define "fendom," or what?!
> jess

<kinky smartass>

a dominant who likes the Fens in Boston.

</kinky smartass>

nicole
teasing in a friendly way :)

--
the adress above is a spamtrap! if you want to reach this poster, please email
her at n i c o l e (at) o c e l l a (dot) c o m

Susan

Dec 1, 2003, 8:02:53 PM12/1/03
"typhonblue" <typhonma...@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:<4VPxb.514513$6C4.365955@pd7tw1no>...

> I'm curious about polyamory and fandom, I know that there have been a few
> poly panels at conventions in Seattle, and I'm wondering how many of you are
> active in fandom?

I am, in the northeastern US. I usually attend about half a dozen
cons a year now - down from a dozen or more in my wild youth.
Regularly, this includes Arisia, Boskone, Lunacon, worldcon, Albacon,
and Darkovercon, with occasional others stuck in here and there.

Apropos of fandom, I was disturbed to get my Arisia program
questionnaire and discover that the polyamory panel was listed as an
adult panel - 18+ only. I wrote a disturbed note to the program
person on my reply form along the lines of whether they would consider
a panel on monogamy to be for adults only, and if not, wasn't this
rather judgmental? I don't know yet if I'm on the panel. I was
certainly poly before I was 18, although I didn't know the term.

Susan
(wandering by)

Mean Green Dancing Machine

Dec 1, 2003, 8:30:59 PM12/1/03
In article <d91bd076.03120...@posting.google.com>,
Susan <smg...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>(wandering by)

Hi!
--
--- Aahz <*> (Copyright 2003 by aa...@pobox.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6 http://rule6.info/

Dave Barry sez: do not call the American Teleservices Association
(telemarketing lobby group) at 317-816-9336. That would be rude.

Vicki Rosenzweig

Dec 2, 2003, 12:09:55 PM12/2/03
Quoth Pat Kight <kig...@peak.org> on Mon, 01 Dec 2003 12:25:00 -0800:

I'd say that, in this context, it includes some kind of social
interaction with other fans (and yes, there is a circularity to the
definition of "fan" here). That doesn't have to be con-going: there
are online forums, fanzines, local clubs, probably umpteen things
I'm not thinking of at the instant. But reading lots of sf doesn't
make you part of fandom-as-social-group, though it certainly
gives you plenty to talk about with me.
--
Vicki Rosenzweig
v...@redbird.org | http://www.redbird.org

"We have met the enemy, and he is us." -- Walt Kelly

Martin Read

Dec 2, 2003, 12:05:05 PM12/2/03
smg...@yahoo.com (Susan) wrote:
>Apropos of fandom, I was disturbed to get my Arisia program
>questionnaire and discover that the polyamory panel was listed as an
>adult panel - 18+ only. I wrote a disturbed note to the program
>person on my reply form along the lines of whether they would consider
>a panel on monogamy to be for adults only, and if not, wasn't this
>rather judgmental? I don't know yet if I'm on the panel. I was
>certainly poly before I was 18, although I didn't know the term.

I would tend to expect a panel that could reasonably be regarded as
relating to sexuality to be 18+, for purposes of ass-covering if nothing
else.

m.
--
\_\/_/| Martin Read - my opinions are my own. share them if you wish.
\ / | a passer by was staring deep into your open skirt as we lay there

Pat Kight

Dec 2, 2003, 12:28:54 PM12/2/03

*grin* Yeah, I don't really consider myself part of fandom, I was just
being a bit of a smart-ass.

The con culture doesn't particularly ring my chimes. It's probably
partly generational (although I know people older than I who are not
only part of fandom, but helped spawn it), partly a general discomfort
in spending much time with large groups of strangers.

Social-type cons are an exception; I've thoroughly enjoyed the
Callahanicons I've attended, and am very much looking forward to apc11.
But in those instances I feel as if I'm going to meet people I already
know, which makes a big difference in my comfort level.

--
Pat Kight
kig...@peak.org

barbara trumpinski-roberts

Dec 2, 2003, 3:22:57 PM12/2/03
ChickPea <E-0C0013...@cleopatra.co.uk> writes:

> In alt.polyamory, "typhonblue" <typhonma...@shaw.ca> (typhonblue)
> wrote in <4VPxb.514513$6C4.365955@pd7tw1no>::

> Depends on your definition of "active". I go to some conventions, but
> generally only if they're reasonably nearby, so I'm kinda-sorta active.

hey, chickpea...i think that going to cons counts as active...maybe not SMOF
level, but active, none-the-less...

we went back to chambanacon last weekend for the first time since it moved to
springfield...it felt like home. that's what i think of when i think of
fandom....

hugs,

kitten, who has netnews again from a campus server...hooray
--
barbara trumpinski-roberts (smotu) 217-333-2416 kit...@uiuc.edu
Funk Agriculture Library-UIUC

songbird

Dec 2, 2003, 3:00:58 PM12/2/03
rhabdophobid wrote:

> isn't anyone goinna define "fendom," or what?!

that's a rather swampy topic in and of itself...

(some straight lines lead right to bog knows what?)

songbird (of the clan o'fenas

Rob Wynne

Dec 2, 2003, 5:02:16 PM12/2/03

Oh, just because some of us marsh to the beat of a different drummer...

Menolly

Dec 2, 2003, 8:09:24 PM12/2/03
Sorry for the delayed reply, but I'm stil catching up -- I was working
Loscon last weekend :)

In other words, yep, active fan here. Saw both my LDRs there, though I
didn't get nearly as much time as I'd've liked with one of them, as well
as many current and former posters to this group.

--
)\._.,--....,'``. | men...@mib.org
/, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,. | http://www.livejournal.com/~nolly/

Marian

Dec 3, 2003, 8:28:04 AM12/3/03
ChickPea wrote:
> In alt.polyamory, "typhonblue" <typhonma...@shaw.ca> (typhonblue)
> wrote in <4VPxb.514513$6C4.365955@pd7tw1no>::
>
> |I'm curious about polyamory and fandom, I know that there have been a few
> |poly panels at conventions in Seattle, and I'm wondering how many of you are
> |active in fandom?
> |

> Depends on your definition of "active". I go to some conventions, but
> generally only if they're reasonably nearby, so I'm kinda-sorta active.

Unless you count Pennsic as a con, I haven't been to a con in
over a year and a half.

But I went to one con every year for more than 20
years...including the year I was born.

And the con chair of an upcoming convention is thinking of
inviting a certain big name as guest of honor in the hopes that
it will lure me into going to that year.

I'm most definitely inactive in fandom.

But I still consider myself a fan.

And I didn't so much gafiate as move to Asia.

-M

Rob Wynne

Dec 3, 2003, 11:28:17 AM12/3/03
Marian <Mar...@therosenbergfamilies.net> wrote:
>And I didn't so much gafiate as move to Asia.

Heh. May I put that in my quotes file. It strikes me as...intriguing.

barbara trumpinski-roberts

Dec 3, 2003, 3:47:09 PM12/3/03
Marian <Mar...@therosenbergfamilies.net> writes:

> And I didn't so much gafiate as move to Asia.

*kitten*

hugs,

kitten

barbara trumpinski-roberts

Dec 3, 2003, 3:48:29 PM12/3/03
ChickPea <E-0C0013...@cleopatra.co.uk> writes:

> Course, if I really *were* a SMOF, I wouldn't tell you, would I?

;P

good point...

hugs,

kitten, btw does polycon count??????

Trinker

Dec 3, 2003, 7:01:02 PM12/3/03

Pat Kight wrote:

> The con culture doesn't particularly ring my chimes. It's probably
> partly generational (although I know people older than I who are not
> only part of fandom, but helped spawn it), partly a general discomfort
> in spending much time with large groups of strangers.

Once you get sucked into going to cons, the strangers rapidly become
"people you recognize", and then from there...

--Trinker

Pat Kight

Dec 3, 2003, 7:10:59 PM12/3/03

Oh, I have no doubt - and the next step, as I hear it, is planning your
life around the con schedule.

Like I need another source of More Nifty People and the associated time
conflicts in my life ... (-:

--
Pat Kight
kig...@peak.org

Trinker

Dec 3, 2003, 8:31:45 PM12/3/03

Pat Kight wrote:

> Trinker wrote:

>> Once you get sucked into going to cons, the strangers rapidly become
>> "people you recognize", and then from there...
>

> Oh, I have no doubt - and the next step, as I hear it, is planning your
> life around the con schedule.
>
> Like I need another source of More Nifty People and the associated time
> conflicts in my life ... (-:

Eh. You may find that making space for something like Orycon is a good
thing for you.

--Trinker
living with congoing fans.

Pat Kight

Dec 3, 2003, 9:07:07 PM12/3/03
Trinker wrote:

Get thee behind me, temptress ...

(Honestly, I'm not really interested in the programming, etc. At Orycons
past, however, I *have* arranged to meet con-going friends for lunch while
they were in PDX ...)

--
Pat Kight
kig...@peak.org

Elynne

Dec 4, 2003, 1:32:23 AM12/4/03
In article <bqlu2h$jna$1...@news.oregonstate.edu>, kig...@peak.org says...

> Trinker wrote:
> > Once you get sucked into going to cons, the strangers rapidly become
> > "people you recognize", and then from there...
> Oh, I have no doubt - and the next step, as I hear it, is planning your
> life around the con schedule.
> Like I need another source of More Nifty People and the associated time
> conflicts in my life ... (-:

I hadn't been to a con in almost a decade. Then I went to NorWesCon
year before last, just for the day... the next year I was there for the
entire weekend, and two months later at BayCon for the entire weekend
plus, and this coming year I'll (hopefully) have stuff in the art show
on NWC and also be on staff at BC...

- Elynne, looking forward to it all, too
--
When I face
The hungry ghosts,

Marian

Dec 4, 2003, 8:55:11 AM12/4/03
Rob Wynne wrote:
> Marian <Mar...@therosenbergfamilies.net> wrote:
>
>>And I didn't so much gafiate as move to Asia.
>
> Heh. May I put that in my quotes file. It strikes me as...intriguing.

Sure!

Please attribute to Marian Rosenberg, 12/2003.

-M

Kris Hasson-Jones

Dec 4, 2003, 9:56:55 AM12/4/03
On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 14:40:33 +0000, ChickPea
<E-0C0013...@cleopatra.co.uk> submitted the following for your
consideration:

>In alt.polyamory, Marian <Mar...@therosenbergfamilies.net> (Marian) wrote
>in <bqko3u$23e7n1$1...@ID-143191.news.uni-berlin.de>::

>|And I didn't so much gafiate as move to Asia.
>

>Gafiate?

Get Away From It All.
--
Kris Hasson-Jones sni...@pacifier.com
But I *am* present as the truth of myself!

Mean Green Dancing Machine

Dec 4, 2003, 10:53:22 AM12/4/03
In article <pqhusv4qtl5ehueu1...@4ax.com>,

ChickPea <E-0C0013...@cleopatra.co.uk> wrote:
>In alt.polyamory, Marian <Mar...@therosenbergfamilies.net> (Marian) wrote
>in <bqko3u$23e7n1$1...@ID-143191.news.uni-berlin.de>::
>|
>|And I didn't so much gafiate as move to Asia.
>
>Gafiate?

Throughout the history of fandom, there have been people who have left
fandom. Some of these people have left with a sneer on their faces and
insults falling from their mouths -- not much unlike the rest of society.
Others have been essentially forced out of fandom for external reasons
and wanted to differentiate themselves from those fleeing gleefully.
Then there's the constant tension between those who see fandom as a
social outlet and those who see fandom as a lifestyle. Thus:

GAFIA == Get Away From It All
FAFIA == Forced Away From It All
FIJAGH == Fandom Is Just A Ghoddamned Hobby
FIAWOL == Fandom Is A Way Of Life

--
--- Aahz <*> (Copyright 2003 by aa...@pobox.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6 http://rule6.info/

The best things in life are illegal, immoral, *and* fattening.

Ryk

Dec 4, 2003, 12:58:12 PM12/4/03
On 02 Dec 2003 17:05:05 +0000 (GMT), in message
<Lpd*qg...@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Martin Read <mpr...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

>smg...@yahoo.com (Susan) wrote:
>>Apropos of fandom, I was disturbed to get my Arisia program
>>questionnaire and discover that the polyamory panel was listed as an
>>adult panel - 18+ only. I wrote a disturbed note to the program
>>person on my reply form along the lines of whether they would consider
>>a panel on monogamy to be for adults only, and if not, wasn't this
>>rather judgmental? I don't know yet if I'm on the panel. I was
>>certainly poly before I was 18, although I didn't know the term.
>
>I would tend to expect a panel that could reasonably be regarded as
>relating to sexuality to be 18+, for purposes of ass-covering if nothing
>else.

That's got to be a really lame-brained idea on somebody's part. What
good could possibly be served by denying people under 18 information
about sexuality? I mean really!

Ryk

Trinker

Dec 4, 2003, 2:41:19 PM12/4/03

Pat Kight wrote:

> Trinker wrote:
>> Eh. You may find that making space for something like Orycon is a
>> good thing for you.
>
> Get thee behind me, temptress ...

Well, okay, if that's what you want. All the better to whisper into
your ear...

> (Honestly, I'm not really interested in the programming, etc. At Orycons
> past, however, I *have* arranged to meet con-going friends for lunch
> while they were in PDX ...)

Dunno what that Orycon programming's like. The Loscon programming had
quite a broad range to it.

--Trinker

Pat Kight

Dec 4, 2003, 3:28:40 PM12/4/03
Trinker wrote:

> Pat Kight wrote:

>> (Honestly, I'm not really interested in the programming, etc. At
>> Orycons past, however, I *have* arranged to meet con-going friends for
>> lunch while they were in PDX ...)

> Dunno what that Orycon programming's like. The Loscon programming had
> quite a broad range to it.

Actually, I'm not especially interested in conference-style programming,
pedriod, regardless of the topics. Sitting in big rooms full of
strangers listening to people talk about almost anything tends to bore
me to tears. When I go to professional conferences, it's all I can do to
drag myself to the panels, etc. I invariably skip out as soon as
possible. I've gone to a couple of theater-related conferences and wound
up skipping all the programming except for the performances.

Heck, as interesting as the topics look, I don't even find myself all
that fired up about the panels at alt.polycon. I'm going for the people!

I don't go to book-signings, and I don't collect science fiction (or any
other) memorabilia, so ...

What I really want to do at things like this is sit around in hotel
lobbies or bars or restaurants or people's rooms and schmooze. But
unless I'm already strongly motivated by, say, the prospect of meeting
up with people I know and can't see in other settings, I'm not inclined
to spend the money for travel, lodging and registration when there are
so many more interesting-to-me things to do with my limited travel time
and money.

Face it, I'm just an old fuddy-duddy. (-:

--
Pat Kight
kig...@peak.org

Mean Green Dancing Machine

Dec 4, 2003, 3:50:55 PM12/4/03
In article <bqo5dv$b81$1...@news.oregonstate.edu>,

Pat Kight <kig...@peak.org> wrote:

>Heck, as interesting as the topics look, I don't even find myself all
>that fired up about the panels at alt.polycon. I'm going for the people!

Note that Alt.Polycon panels are much more discussion format, generally
speaking, than talking-head style panels.

>What I really want to do at things like this is sit around in hotel
>lobbies or bars or restaurants or people's rooms and schmooze. But
>unless I'm already strongly motivated by, say, the prospect of meeting
>up with people I know and can't see in other settings, I'm not inclined
>to spend the money for travel, lodging and registration when there are
>so many more interesting-to-me things to do with my limited travel time
>and money.
>
>Face it, I'm just an old fuddy-duddy. (-:

<shrug> I'm almost a couple of decades younger than you, and that's
been my attitude for years. Then again, I go to SF cons to spend time
with people; it's been a long time since I went to more than a couple of
panels in a day.

Pat Kight

Dec 4, 2003, 4:06:43 PM12/4/03
Mean Green Dancing Machine wrote:
> In article <bqo5dv$b81$1...@news.oregonstate.edu>,
> Pat Kight <kig...@peak.org> wrote:
>
>>Heck, as interesting as the topics look, I don't even find myself all
>>that fired up about the panels at alt.polycon. I'm going for the people!
>

> Note that Alt.Polycon panels are much more discussion format, generally
> speaking, than talking-head style panels.

*nod* I know. And I'm sure I'll take part, and I understand the value of
them, especially for people who are shy or otherwise not comfortable
barging into conversations with quasi-strangers. Just not my cup of tea,
conversation-wise.

>>What I really want to do at things like this is sit around in hotel
>>lobbies or bars or restaurants or people's rooms and schmooze. But
>>unless I'm already strongly motivated by, say, the prospect of meeting
>>up with people I know and can't see in other settings, I'm not inclined
>>to spend the money for travel, lodging and registration when there are
>>so many more interesting-to-me things to do with my limited travel time
>>and money.
>>
>>Face it, I'm just an old fuddy-duddy. (-:

> <shrug> I'm almost a couple of decades younger than you, and that's
> been my attitude for years.

Beware! You, too, may be experiencing the early warning signs of
incipient fuddy-duddyhood!

Then again, I go to SF cons to spend time
> with people; it's been a long time since I went to more than a couple of
> panels in a day.

Makes sense if the people you want to spend time with are con-goers. But
even the few socialcons I've attended left me frustrated at not being
able to spend enough extended quality time with specific people, and
being tugged in too many directions. I'd rather visit someone (or ones)
or have them visit me, if it can be arranged.

Hm. It's sort of the way I feel about parties. I like them just fine,
and go to them - or throw them - now and then. I usually have a pretty
good time, but party interaction feels ... shallow. I prefer fewer
people and more time, if I can get it.

Heh. There's probably some kind of metaphor there for my own interaction
with polyamory, but I'm not sure I want to go there.

--
Pat Kight
kig...@peak.org

Mean Green Dancing Machine

Dec 4, 2003, 7:53:03 PM12/4/03
In article <bqo7l6$c1d$1...@news.oregonstate.edu>,

Pat Kight <kig...@peak.org> wrote:
>Mean Green Dancing Machine wrote:
>> In article <bqo5dv$b81$1...@news.oregonstate.edu>,
>> Pat Kight <kig...@peak.org> wrote:
>>>
>>>What I really want to do at things like this is sit around in hotel
>>>lobbies or bars or restaurants or people's rooms and schmooze. But
>>>unless I'm already strongly motivated by, say, the prospect of meeting
>>>up with people I know and can't see in other settings, I'm not inclined
>>>to spend the money for travel, lodging and registration when there are
>>>so many more interesting-to-me things to do with my limited travel time
>>>and money.
>>>
>>>Face it, I'm just an old fuddy-duddy. (-:
>>
>> <shrug> I'm almost a couple of decades younger than you, and that's
>> been my attitude for years.
>
>Beware! You, too, may be experiencing the early warning signs of
>incipient fuddy-duddyhood!

<smirk> I'd prefer to think of it as curmudgeonhood -- when I was in my
mid-twenties, a number of people on-line thought I was in my forties.

>> Then again, I go to SF cons to spend time
>> with people; it's been a long time since I went to more than a couple of
>> panels in a day.
>
>Makes sense if the people you want to spend time with are con-goers. But
>even the few socialcons I've attended left me frustrated at not being
>able to spend enough extended quality time with specific people, and
>being tugged in too many directions. I'd rather visit someone (or ones)
>or have them visit me, if it can be arranged.

Well, sure. But I know too many people like that who I'd like to spend
some time with where I don't have enough time/money/energy to actively
seek them out unless there's the social context of a con or something.
You'd be an excellent example of that category for me. ;-) What I did
for AP10 was to send e-mail to a bunch of people that I wanted to get
one-on-one time with and invite them to allocate some time with me.
Worked reasonably well; not as well as I would have liked, but I did get
more quality time than I probably would have without that.

Pat Kight

Dec 4, 2003, 7:58:11 PM12/4/03
Mean Green Dancing Machine wrote:
> ... What I did

> for AP10 was to send e-mail to a bunch of people that I wanted to get
> one-on-one time with and invite them to allocate some time with me.
> Worked reasonably well; not as well as I would have liked, but I did get
> more quality time than I probably would have without that.

But ... but ... then I'd have to *choose*!!!

--
Pat Kight
kig...@peak.org

Mean Green Dancing Machine

Dec 4, 2003, 8:18:03 PM12/4/03
In article <bqol73$gr2$2...@news.oregonstate.edu>,

I sent e-mail to more people than I could have easily handled; they
ended up self-selecting to a certain extent. But the point is that
you'll have to choose no matter what, this is simply a different kind of
choosing.

Kris Hasson-Jones

Dec 4, 2003, 8:38:49 PM12/4/03
On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 12:28:40 -0800, Pat Kight <kig...@peak.org>

submitted the following for your consideration:

[going to conventions]

>What I really want to do at things like this is sit around in hotel
>lobbies or bars or restaurants or people's rooms and schmooze.

The bar panel...this is my favorite panel at Orycon <g> and the one I
spend the most time at.

Martin Read

Dec 5, 2003, 8:34:41 AM12/5/03

Very little, or even negative. However, in a society both prudish and
litigious (many parts of America exhibit both of these characteristics,
though by no means all), it is probably the path of least-resistance for
those organising conventions and such, since it decreases the chances of
an irate parent unleashing their lawyers (and, conceivably in particularly
"conservative" jurisdictions, law enforcement officers) in the general
direction of the convention organisers.

m.
--
\_\/_/| Martin Read - my opinions are my own. share them if you wish.
\ / | a passer by was staring deep into your open skirt as we lay there
\/ | in the dirt as we lay there in the dirt should we make ourselves do
------+ painful things? and do they really hurt? -- Naevus, "Harm"

RJ

Dec 6, 2003, 9:50:34 PM12/6/03

...People you avoid. ;-)

RJ

--
+++++++++++++++++ Across the USA, people agree! +++++++++++++++++
+ "Evil Bastards could take evil-bastard lessons from you." -- KW +

RJ

Dec 6, 2003, 9:48:24 PM12/6/03
On Fri, 28 Nov 2003, Kris Hasson-Jones wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 22:22:56 GMT, "typhonblue"
> <typhonma...@shaw.ca> submitted the following for your
> consideration:
>

> >I'm curious about polyamory and fandom, I know that there have been a few
> >poly panels at conventions in Seattle, and I'm wondering how many of you are
> >active in fandom?
>

> Define fandom. <g>

IANBill Gawne, but "Fire in the hole!!!!!!" ;-)

> I'm not poly, but I am active in fandom. Orycon has a polyamory panel
> every year. (That's the Portland, Oregon convention that was just a
> couple of weeks ago.)

I am poly and have been doing this fannish thing for coming up on 20
years. I think there is some commonality of communities.

Note the used of the word "some."

RJ

Dec 6, 2003, 9:53:32 PM12/6/03
On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Kris Hasson-Jones wrote:

> On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 12:28:40 -0800, Pat Kight <kig...@peak.org>
> submitted the following for your consideration:
>
> [going to conventions]
>
> >What I really want to do at things like this is sit around in hotel
> >lobbies or bars or restaurants or people's rooms and schmooze.
>
> The bar panel...this is my favorite panel at Orycon <g> and the one I
> spend the most time at.

At other cons it is the fan lounge panel or the consuite panel, as
the bar is often smokey. Well, outside of California cons, that is.

RJ

Dec 6, 2003, 9:55:02 PM12/6/03
On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, nicole wrote:

> rhabdophobid <rhabdo...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> > isn't anyone goinna define "fendom," or what?!
> > jess
>
> <kinky smartass>
>
> a dominant who likes the Fens in Boston.
>
> </kinky smartass>
>
> nicole
> teasing in a friendly way :)

Oh, there's a deathmatch waiting to happen: which is more difficult
todefine, fandom or bdsm?

RJ

Dec 6, 2003, 9:58:59 PM12/6/03
On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Mean Green Dancing Machine wrote:

> GAFIA == Get Away From It All
> FAFIA == Forced Away From It All
> FIJAGH == Fandom Is Just A Ghoddamned Hobby
> FIAWOL == Fandom Is A Way Of Life

And for some FIJASOI (Fandom Is Just A Source Of Income) (seen on a
button worn by Phil Foglio about 10 years ago).

RJ

Dec 6, 2003, 9:57:15 PM12/6/03
On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Marian wrote:

> And the con chair of an upcoming convention is thinking of
> inviting a certain big name as guest of honor in the hopes that
> it will lure me into going to that year.

I first read that as "_As_ the con chair of an upcoming
convention..."

I've known some conchairs that needed that sort of motivation.

nicole

Dec 8, 2003, 6:15:43 PM12/8/03
RJ <r...@chain.digitalkingdom.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, nicole wrote:
> > rhabdophobid <rhabdo...@verizon.net> wrote:
> >
> > > isn't anyone goinna define "fendom," or what?!
> > > jess
> >
> > <kinky smartass>
> >
> > a dominant who likes the Fens in Boston.
> >
> > </kinky smartass>
> >
> > nicole
> > teasing in a friendly way :)
>
> Oh, there's a deathmatch waiting to happen: which is more difficult
> todefine, fandom or bdsm?

define "todefine" :D

nicole
just being a smartass now :P

--
the adress above is a spamtrap! if you want to reach this poster, please email
her at n i c o l e (at) o c e l l a (dot) c o m

Mean Green Dancing Machine

Dec 8, 2003, 6:16:35 PM12/8/03
In article <081220031815436819%nic...@deadspam.com>,

nicole <nic...@deadspam.com> wrote:

>just being a smartass now :P

...and if you ask nicely, we can even make your ass smart.

--
--- Aahz <*> (Copyright 2003 by aa...@pobox.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6 http://rule6.info/

"You could make Eskimos emigrate to the Sahara by vigorously arguing --
at hundreds of screens' length -- for the wonder, beauty, and utility of
snow." --PNH to rb in r.a.sf.f

nicole

Dec 8, 2003, 7:29:03 PM12/8/03
Mean Green Dancing Machine <aa...@pobox.com> wrote:
> nicole <nic...@deadspam.com> wrote:

> >just being a smartass now :P
>
> ...and if you ask nicely, we can even make your ass smart.

you're too late, as S made it smart just last night already ;)

nicole
who's ass is smart enough today, but thank you! :P

Mean Green Dancing Machine

Dec 8, 2003, 10:11:28 PM12/8/03
In article <081220031929036764%nic...@deadspam.com>,

nicole <nic...@deadspam.com> wrote:
> Mean Green Dancing Machine <aa...@pobox.com> wrote:
>> nicole <nic...@deadspam.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>just being a smartass now :P
>>
>> ...and if you ask nicely, we can even make your ass smart.
>
>you're too late, as S made it smart just last night already ;)
>
>nicole
>who's ass is smart enough today, but thank you! :P

Too late? Smart enough? You can never have an ass that's too smart, I
tell you.

--
--- Aahz <*> (Copyright 2003 by aa...@pobox.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6 http://rule6.info/

"Be alert -- the world needs more lerts."

Mean Green Dancing Machine

Dec 9, 2003, 10:01:40 AM12/9/03
In article <0cobtv05nf12mi7lo...@4ax.com>,
ChickPea <E-0C0013...@cleopatra.co.uk> wrote:
>In alt.polyamory, aa...@pobox.com (Mean Green Dancing Machine) (Mean Green
>Dancing Machine) wrote in <br3eh0$h82$1...@panix2.panix.com>::

>|In article <081220031929036764%nic...@deadspam.com>,
>|nicole <nic...@deadspam.com> wrote:
>|>
>|>who's ass is smart enough today, but thank you! :P
>|
>|Too late? Smart enough? You can never have an ass that's too smart, I
>|tell you.
>
>Dunno. Educate a donkey enough and it might not want to work for you.

That's what the 2x4 is for.

Tane' Tachyon

Dec 9, 2003, 12:56:28 PM12/9/03
Mean Green Dancing Machine wrote:

> In article <081220031929036764%nic...@deadspam.com>,
> nicole <nic...@deadspam.com> wrote:
> >nicole
> >who's ass is smart enough today, but thank you! :P
>
> Too late? Smart enough? You can never have an ass that's too smart, I
> tell you.

I don't know -- this is giving me flashbacks to a vignette from
"Naked Lunch".
--
Tane' Tachyon = tac...@tachyonlabs.com = http://www.tachyonlabs.com/

Rob Wynne

Dec 9, 2003, 1:17:33 PM12/9/03
nicole <nic...@deadspam.com> wrote:
>RJ <r...@chain.digitalkingdom.org> wrote:

>> > <kinky smartass>
>> >
>> > a dominant who likes the Fens in Boston.
>> >
>> > </kinky smartass>
>> >
>> > nicole
>> > teasing in a friendly way :)
>>
>> Oh, there's a deathmatch waiting to happen: which is more difficult
>> todefine, fandom or bdsm?
>
>define "todefine" :D

todefine (pronounced toe-DEF-eh-nay) is a musical term meaning "play so
loudly it makes your ears hurt".

HTH.

-R

--
Rob Wynne / The Autographed Cat / d...@america.net
http://www.autographedcat.com/ / http://autographedcat.livejournal.com/
Gafilk 2004: Jan 9-11, 2004, Atlanta, GA -- http://www.gafilk.org/

songbird

Dec 10, 2003, 11:30:20 PM12/10/03
Tane' Tachyon wrote:
> Mean Green Dancing Machine wrote:
> > nicole wrote:
> > >
> > >who's ass is smart enough today, but thank you! :P
> >
> > Too late? Smart enough? You can never have an ass that's too smart, I
> > tell you.
>
> I don't know -- this is giving me flashbacks to a vignette from
> "Naked Lunch".

and i read "vignette" as "vinegarette" and was wondering
about the recipe before noticing my error...

songbird *peep*