Re: Virginia rejects Trump and his agenda

Anonymous

Nov 8, 2017, 12:38:33 AM11/8/17
LOL

Mr. B1ack

Nov 8, 2017, 10:54:13 AM11/8/17
On Wed, 8 Nov 2017 06:38:29 +0100, Anonymous
<anon...@hoi-polloi.org> wrote:

>LOL

They rejected some Rinos ... but, stupidly, didn't
have any NON-Rino Republicans to run.

Let this be a lesson.

Nathan Hale

Nov 8, 2017, 11:45:55 AM11/8/17
In article <l2a60dteqqmig305k...@4ax.com>
One thing is for sure, 2018 is going to be very interesting.

Fund

Nov 8, 2017, 8:50:17 PM11/8/17
In article <a437ada7b9b652f1...@hoi-polloi.org>
Anonymous <anon...@hoi-polloi.org> wrote:

> LOL

Virginia Rejects Your Hateful Politics, Mr. Trump

By The Editorial Board
Nov. 7, 2017

Ralph Northam’s election as Virginia governor amid reportedly high
turnout on Tuesday is a stinging and welcome rebuke to President Trump
and white nationalism.

Mr. Northam’s Republican rival, Ed Gillespie, an establishment
operative, chose to dog-whistle himself breathless in pursuit of the
state’s pro-Trump white voters, and the president attested to his make-
America-great-again credentials. By late Tuesday, though, Mr. Trump was
trying to sidle away from Mr. Gillespie, claiming that a candidate who
sacrificed his own reputation to adopt the president’s style and
positions in fact “did not embrace me or what I stand for.” Mr.
Gillespie did, and he lost.

Virginia and New Jersey, where Democrat Phil Murphy easily won the
governor’s race, were the first statewide general elections since
Donald Trump won the presidency a year ago, and Virginia, the only
southern state Hillary Clinton won in 2016, was by far the more
consequential of the two. Late Tuesday Democrats were also registering
gains in the Virginia House of Delegates, suggesting strong disapproval
of Mr. Trump at the grass roots.

Having been nearly vanquished in the primary by Corey Stewart, an anti-
immigrant conspiracy theorist who played on issues like preserving
Confederate monuments, Mr. Gillespie, at the advice of Republican
leaders, took up race-baiting. His ads, featuring menacing tattooed
men, accused Mr. Northam of being “weak on MS-13,” the gang formed by
Central American immigrants in Los Angeles that now threatens Virginia
suburbs. They contained some of the darkest appeals in Tuesday’s off-
year contests — and that’s saying something, given the Republican
candidate ads that aired in places like Nassau County, N.Y., and New
Jersey.

Mr. Trump, who is traveling in Asia, waged one of his familiar Twitter
smear campaigns against Mr. Northam on Tuesday, calling the pediatric
neurologist and former Army doctor “weak on crime, weak on our GREAT
VETS.”

Democratic A-listers from President Barack Obama on down labored to put
Mr. Northam over the bar. Mr. Northam was a lackluster campaigner in
his own right. Despite mountains of post-2016 evidence that Democrats
need to present voters with an inclusive and compelling economic
message, he didn’t hone his own until late in the race.

Then he lost support from the progressive wing of his party after he
seemed to suggest he’d oppose sanctuary cities and, at the request of
unions, omitted Justin Fairfax, his African-American running mate in
the lieutenant governor’s race, from some campaign pamphlets.

Mr. Gillespie’s choice to lay his principles on the altar of Trumpism
made Mr. Northam’s win doubly important, as a triumph over the politics
of racial division, and as a lesson for other Republicans tempted to
adopt Mr. Trump’s vile tactics as their own.

Mr. B1ack

Nov 8, 2017, 10:04:31 PM11/8/17
I see a lot unraveling ... in both big parties and within
the public sphere too. Any status-quo has an expiration
date - then it begins to stink.

Likely the big parties will survive IN NAME ... but their
product line is shifting considerably. The core Dems
are being pulled left and right, there's a widening split
between yer fathers GOP and the more activist Trump
version. So far no sign of any big new parties emerging,
but that's not out of the question. I could see a 'regular
left' Dem-derived and a 'rad left' Dem-derived party.

There's huge discontent out there in the population too.
A lot of extremists, a lot of clinger-oners - and the "just
plain weird" seems more prominent too.

Oh, and it's not just the USA ... we had the 'arab spring'
and then all the tensions from the Syrian invasion of
europe and now the EU seems to have overstayed its
welcome too. More extremes there too, less and less
middle, a sense of impending *something*.

The other day I told a poster that it's kinda remniscent
of 1914 ... just waiting for a grenade to be thrown at
the archduke to set things off. Many WANT big changes
and imagine the changes will benifit THEM. They're
bored and angry with the stinkin' status-quo and want
*something* to happen.

Yea, most will wind up screwed by that "something" ... but
they aren't convinced of that. They don't read history.

Honey Wagon

Nov 10, 2017, 2:18:32 AM11/10/17
On 08 Nov 2017, Mr. B1ack <now...@nada.net> posted some
The Germans and Japanese were demanding change just as the American
Democratic left is.

The left is dismissive of history and lives in a fantasy world. They
believe revisionism changes everything. They most certainly don't read
history.

Mr. B1ack

Nov 10, 2017, 10:28:56 PM11/10/17
You'd THINK that with the rise of the internet, a zillion
factiods at yer fingertips, the public would become more
aware of history. It didn't - it became even more ignorant.
Perhaps the sheer volume of information made it all the
easier to assemble a "custom version" of history, one
that fits each persons preconceptions and agendas ?

Not all that long ago, historical writers usually had to have
good scholarly credentials. Now, any dink can get published
and because his garbage is in print it's suddenly Truth.
We saw historical works with fewer and fewer facts, more
and more of the authors personal "interpretation". At this
point I'd say we've gone beyond mere "revisionism" and
entered the realm of pure convenient fantasy.

Yes, the "left" IS the worst offender ... any distortion or
lie is acceptable so long as it promotes The Cause.
Alas even the non-left fails to rise much above that
bar these days.

So, we'll keep repeating the same mistakes. Even when
we do happen to remember history we'll scoff and say
that WE are much smarter and more sophisticated than
those olde-tyme fools, WE won't fall into those old traps.

And when we do - blame it on the opposition.