How to fix "X Error of failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)" ?

M. S.

Mar 12, 2012, 12:42:23 PM3/12/12
Good evening folks.

For some unknown reason, my computer tends to give me the above
mentioned error message, whenever I try running programs like "mednafen"
or "Super Tux Kart" or "Secret Maryo Chornicles".

I'm running Debian Stable with its current kernel (not from backports)
and use the offical nVidia drivers for my 8600GT.

Everything seems to work fine until the window should pop up.
Then, nothing happens as if I didn't do anything before.

Could anyone be so kind to help me?

In addition, here's the terminal output I get when trying to run
'mednafen':

"X Error of failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
Major opcode of failed request: 137 (NV-GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 4 ()
Resource id in failed request: 0x400000f
Serial number of failed request: 34
Current serial number in output stream: 34"

Regards
M. S.

A Sinister Midget

Mar 12, 2012, 7:18:01 PM3/12/12
On 2012-03-12, M. S. <Toast...@arcor.de> claimed:

> For some unknown reason, my computer tends to give me the above
> mentioned error message, whenever I try running programs like "mednafen"
> or "Super Tux Kart" or "Secret Maryo Chornicles".

> "X Error of failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
> Major opcode of failed request: 137 (NV-GLX)
> Minor opcode of failed request: 4 ()

Just a guess. What driver is your video card using?

--
I need my computer; it keeps me out of the bars!!
Acer Aspire One, Lubuntu 11.10

Jasen Betts

Mar 13, 2012, 4:46:58 AM3/13/12
On 2012-03-12, M. S. <Toast...@arcor.de> wrote:

> For some unknown reason, my computer tends to give me the above
> mentioned error message, whenever I try running programs like "mednafen"
> or "Super Tux Kart" or "Secret Maryo Chornicles".
>
> I'm running Debian Stable with its current kernel (not from backports)
> and use the offical nVidia drivers for my 8600GT.

Perhaps you need to recompile your video driver module.

If you figure out how to do it automatically using "dkms" let me know.
as it is evert time there's a power cut minecraft stops working.

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

M. S.

Mar 13, 2012, 2:04:31 PM3/13/12
A Sinister Midget wrote:

> Just a guess. What driver is your video card using?

Umm, according to 'nvidia-installer --version' it's version 290.10.

As I said, I got the drivers from the offical website.

Regards
M. S.

M. S.

Mar 13, 2012, 2:07:45 PM3/13/12
Jasen Betts wrote:

> Perhaps you need to recompile your video driver module.
That's possible.

Still, I dunno if it's the case or not.
All I remember is that back then, when I installed the offical drivers,
I once got a little error message during the installation process.
Just don't ask what message, can't remember what it said :<

Regards
M. S.

Jasen Betts

Mar 15, 2012, 12:46:21 AM3/15/12
I find that after every kernel upgrade I need to shut down X and re-run
the nvidia setup script

CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.3 ./nvidia-installer.sh

or something like that.

M. S.

Mar 17, 2012, 2:17:11 AM3/17/12
Jasen Betts wrote:
> I find that after every kernel upgrade I need to shut down X and re-run
> the nvidia setup script
>
> CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.3 ./nvidia-installer.sh
>
> or something like that.

Man, you are the best!

Just reinstalled the drivers or rather update these just now (my system
still had 290.10) to 295.20 and everything works fine again.

Thank you for your help!

Regards
M. S.

raghav...@gmail.com

Nov 20, 2012, 7:55:13 AM11/20/12
Thank you guys ...had the same problem and as per Jasen's suggestion...it gone now after following his words.