Will Windows 3.1 work with DrDOS 7.03?

Unknown

Jul 24, 2002, 12:01:17 AM7/24/02
Will Windows 3.1 work with DrDOS 7.03?

I have copies of DrDOS7.03, MS DOS6.22 and Windows 3.1 I'd like to
play with on an old 486/DX2/66.

TIA,

};o)

Steve

Thomas Mueller

Jul 25, 2002, 3:55:44 AM7/25/02
from (audioaficionado):

> Will Windows 3.1 work with DrDOS 7.03?

> I have copies of DrDOS7.03, MS DOS6.22 and Windows 3.1 I'd like to
> play with on an old 486/DX2/66.

I never actually tried it, but I noticed, when installing DR-DOS 7.03, there
were files for Windows 3.1. These files were not installed for me because I
didn't have MS-Windows 3.x. You would need to install that part.

Matthias Paul

Jul 25, 2002, 1:50:42 PM7/25/02
On 2002-07-24, Steve <audioaficionado> wrote:

> Will Windows 3.1 work with DrDOS 7.03?

Of course, it will. DR-DOS 7.03 is compatible with Windows and
Windows for Workgroups up to 3.xx (and internal versions of
DR-DOS even with Windows 4.xx aka Windows 95/98/SE).

Matthias

--
<mailto:Matthi...@post.rwth-aachen.de>; <mailto:mp...@drdos.org>
http://www.uni-bonn.de/~uzs180/mpdokeng.html; http://mpaul.drdos.org

"Programs are poems for computers."

Unknown

Jul 25, 2002, 7:36:56 PM7/25/02

>On 2002-07-24, Steve <audioaficionado> wrote:
>
>> Will Windows 3.1 work with DrDOS 7.03?

>On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 19:50:42 +0200, "Matthias Paul" <Matthi...@post.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:

>Of course, it will. DR-DOS 7.03 is compatible with Windows and
>Windows for Workgroups up to 3.xx (and internal versions of
>DR-DOS even with Windows 4.xx aka Windows 95/98/SE).
>
> Matthias

===========

Thanks Matthias,

I was hoping as much. Win3.1 and 3.11 are dependant on a good DOS
base and don't have any DOS sys files in the install floppies that I
could see. The currant w3.1 install is over DOS6.0 and is missing
things like scandisk.exe that I always like to use from the DOS screen
even in win98. DrDOS looks like it has FAT32 capabilities too. That
might make w3.11 even more functional and robust.

Hmmm...

I wonder what would happen if I installed DrDOS before win 95b or
98se? A lot of nice DOS stuff got left out of the 9x windows. I'm
trying to learn how to do more maintenance in DOS command lines.

};o)

Steve

DOS Ghost

Jul 26, 2002, 7:01:23 PM7/26/02

The missing DOS from v6.0 can be downloaded from Microsoft (for free).
Same with W9x those missing files are also available from Microsoft
for free.

See the tech website listed in my signature for links to those missing
files.

Charles.Angelich (dosghost)

DOS the Ghost in the Machine!

Family And Friends wepages
Multimedia orginal stories with animation and
sound, poetry, music, and photography
http://www.undercoverdesign.com/dosghost/faf
Tech pages for DOS and W31 at:
http://www.undercoverdesign.com/dosghost

Unknown

Jul 27, 2002, 5:06:38 AM7/27/02
On Fri, 26 Jul 2002 23:01:23 GMT, charles_ang...@hotmail.com
(DOS Ghost) wrote:

>The missing DOS from v6.0 can be downloaded from Microsoft (for free).
>Same with W9x those missing files are also available from Microsoft
>for free.
>
>See the tech website listed in my signature for links to those missing
>files.
>

>Charles.Angelich (dosghost)
>
>DOS the Ghost in the Machine!
>
>Family And Friends wepages
>Multimedia orginal stories with animation and
>sound, poetry, music, and photography
>http://www.undercoverdesign.com/dosghost/faf
>Tech pages for DOS and W31 at:
>http://www.undercoverdesign.com/dosghost

===============
Hi Charles,

I checked out your site and I was impressed. I'll definatly do a lot
of downloading in a few days before some of that cool stuff
dissappears for good.

As far as free 3.1, 3.11 & 6.22...

http://386page.gooddays.org/os/

I downloaded some and they seem to be complete installation floppy
sets zipped and RARed.

};o)

Steve

denis crowther

Jul 28, 2002, 10:56:58 AM7/28/02

1/- load drdos - without windows support, install will complain if
can't find c:\windows

2/-save a copy of autoexec.bat and config.sys, next step will
overwrite them
3/- install windows
4/- copy back +/or adjust auto and config
5/- run setup to install drdos windows support
HTH
Regards
Denis

Unknown

Jul 28, 2002, 7:45:04 PM7/28/02
======================

Hmmm...

I just installed win95 last night. After reading some of the DrDOS
manual, I thought they said DrDOS could be installed under/after
widows95.

Would it work if I booted up in DrDOS and then installed into windows
DOS? That way the DrDOS autoexec.bat and config.sys files would
replace winDOS autoexec.bat and config.sys files anyway?

Of course a lot of other winDOS files might get replaced too.

I had a rough few hours trying to get 95 or 98 to get past the file
copy session until I saw the WINBOOT ~!~ on the C:\ drive. After I
turned off the boot sector virus protection in BIOS, it went like
clockwork.

};o)

Steve

Unknown

Jul 29, 2002, 4:26:19 AM7/29/02
I re-read the DrDOS doc. DrDOS installes after win95 while in DOS and
it doesn't replace win98/MS DOS 7.0 but installes as a dual boot OS.

It will be the underpinning DOS for win3x if you want.

>======================
>
>Hmmm...
>
>I just installed win95 last night. After reading some of the DrDOS
>manual, I thought they said DrDOS could be installed under/after
>widows95.
>
>Would it work if I booted up in DrDOS and then installed into windows
>DOS? That way the DrDOS autoexec.bat and config.sys files would
>replace winDOS autoexec.bat and config.sys files anyway?
>
>Of course a lot of other winDOS files might get replaced too.
>
>I had a rough few hours trying to get 95 or 98 to get past the file
>copy session until I saw the WINBOOT ~!~ on the C:\ drive. After I
>turned off the boot sector virus protection in BIOS, it went like
>clockwork.
>
>};o)
>
>Steve

};o)

Steve

denis crowther

Jul 29, 2002, 7:26:26 AM7/29/02
On Sun, 28 Jul 2002 23:45:04 GMT, (audioaficionado) wrote:

Would not have a clue, the guy was talking about win 3.11. About that
I know :-)

me - dos, dr-dos, os/2, Linux --- no win here since 3.11

Regards
Denis

Regards
Denis