Frank Maxwell; actor & AFTRA prez

Hyfler/Rosner

Aug 7, 2004, 12:11:52 AM8/7/04
August 5, 2004 - Frank Maxwell, veteran motion picture,
television and stage actor for more than 60 years, longtime
union activist and past President of the American Federation
of Television and Radio Artists (AFTRA), former First Vice
President of Actors' Equity and board member of the Screen
Actors Guild, Trustee of the AFTRA Health and Retirement
Funds, died yesterday, Wednesday, August 4, at his home in
Santa Monica, California, at age 87. The cause of death was
complications of heart disease.

During his long career in Hollywood, Mr. Maxwell appeared in
scores of motion pictures including Lonelyhearts, By Love
Possessed, Rage to Live, The Intruder, Madame X; four
television series; in a co-starring role as Dan Rooney in
the popular daytime TV series General Hospital and scores of
other programs.

In World War II, he was a B-29 bombardier-navigator with the
U.S. Air Force and held the rank of First Lieutenant. After
the war, he returned to Broadway where he appeared in such
hits as At War With the Army, Death of a Salesman and Stalag
17. He also appeared in the London production of Death of a
Salesman.

Throughout his professional life, Mr. Maxwell was an active
and committed member of AFTRA, serving as National President
of the 80,000-member union of actors, broadcasters and
recording artists for five consecutive terms, from 1984-89.
He also served as President of the union's Los Angeles Local
for five years, and from 1985 until his death he was a
Trustee of the AFTRA Health & Retirement Funds and a member
of AFTRA's Board of Directors.

AFTRA National President John Connolly said, "For six
decades and more, Frank Maxwell has been a towering beacon
of talent, leadership and principle in both his formidable
acting career and his unparalleled contribution as a union
leader to the welfare of professional performers worldwide.
. . Beginning as a dancer at the 1939 World's Fair, on to a
stellar career on Broadway and in radio drama, thence to the
Golden Age of live TV, feature films, and stardom in daytime
and primetime series television, Frank worked every nook and
cranny of our wretched and glorious business with verve and
nerve. . . Frank fought facism in the belly of a B-29 in
WWII, McCarthyite blacklisting at the peril of his
television career in the 1950s, and racism on the front
lines of the civil rights struggle in the 1960s. . .He
brought dignity, self-respect and a sense of empowerment to
the 80,000 members of AFTRA. . . A lion has passed among us
and has gone on to well-earned rest. The echo of his roar
and tread will long resound throughout the world of stage,
screen and radio. . . "

"Frank Maxwell was a great leader," said AFTRA's National
Executive Director Greg Hessinger. "He worked tirelessly to
ensure that AFTRA embodied and honored diversity, democracy
and decency. He understood the unique creative process that
is integral to the lives of performers, while still
resisting any notion that they were inherently different
from other workers in their struggle to be treated with
dignity and fairness. He gave his formidable energy to AFTRA
for decades, and all performers, broadcasters and recording
artists are the beneficiaries of that sacrifice. His
knowledge, his wisdom and his heart will be sorely missed."

Funeral services will be held at 10:30 a.m. on Tuesday,
August 10 at Saint Monica's Cathedral (7th Street and
California Avenue, Santa Monica), with burial to follow at
Holy Cross Cemetery in Culver City.

Contributions in Mr. Maxwell's memory may be made to the
Frank Nelson Sick and Benefit Fund, c/o the AFTRA Los
Angeles office.

Hyfler/Rosner

Aug 7, 2004, 12:17:35 AM8/7/04

"Hyfler/Rosner" <rel...@rcn.com> wrote in message

> August 5, 2004 - Frank Maxwell, veteran motion picture,
> television and stage actor for more than 60 years,
longtime
> union activist and past President of the American
Federation
> of Television and Radio Artists (AFTRA), former First Vice
> President of Actors' Equity and board member of the Screen
> Actors Guild, Trustee of the AFTRA Health and Retirement
> Funds, died yesterday, Wednesday, August 4, at his home in
> Santa Monica, California, at age 87. The cause of death
was
> complications of heart disease.

recent photo
http://www.aftra.com/press/pr_20040805_frank_maxwell.htm

not so recent photo:
http://www.daytimetv.net/l

April Cool

Aug 7, 2004, 1:37:25 AM8/7/04
In article <411457d9$0$5921$61fe...@news.rcn.com>, Hyfler/Rosner
<rel...@rcn.com> wrote:

> http://www.aftra.com/press/pr_20040805_frank_maxwell.html

> not so recent photo:
> http://www.daytimetv.net/l

The final character in that second URL is an artifact, I guess. This
one works:

http://www.daytimetv.net/

It took me a minute to place him. I remember him as the general on a
show called The Second Hundred Years. It was a sitcom around 1966 or
so. Monte Markham was frozen in a glacier at the age of 30 in 1907,
and was thawed out and returned to his son, who was now 65 or 70.

I see that they're asking for contributions to the Frank Nelson Sick
and Benefit Fund. Frank Nelson was the heavyset darkhaired guy who was
on Jack Benny all the time. He'd be a storekeeper or civil servant or
something, and his back would always be turned to Benny. Benny would
say, "Hey, mister," and Frank would turn around and go,
"Eeeee-Yesssssssss?"