Favorite SY Rip-Off

Billy Q

Mar 28, 2001, 3:15:06 PM3/28/01
Yes, they do sound like SY, but some of them are quite endearing.
My Favorite is: Blonde Redhead.

BTW, read the poem about SY-rip offs in Alabama Wildman; I think Thurston
lists Blonde Redhead, Toaster, and one other. I don't have it with me, so I
can't quote the poem.

Chris Lawrence

Mar 28, 2001, 4:02:18 PM3/28/01
well... i cant call this a rip-off given who's involved, but
i've always thought that the butthole surfers' "PSY" is the best
sonic youth that sonic youth didn't write (meaning that it sounds
like it could be them, but it ain't). some even allege that the
title stands for 'psychedelic sonic youth'...

typocalypse (formerly godspeed!)

Mar 28, 2001, 5:31:50 PM3/28/01
my favourite is how starpower rips off helen forsdale by mars.. oh wait.

Jamie Day

Mar 28, 2001, 10:55:50 PM3/28/01
what about that band "eric's trip"; what's up with that?

i'm not sure why, but '1979' by smashing pumpkins always seemed like a
stolen s-y chord progression, and now that new aerosmith single is a
rip-off of '1979'. scary.

www.Clovis.hedgehog.dot.com

Mar 29, 2001, 1:30:51 PM3/29/01
In article <3AC2A3C5...@home.com> Jamie Day <pigs...@home.com> writes:
>From: Jamie Day <pigs...@home.com>
>Subject: Re: Favorite SY Rip-Off

>what about that band "eric's trip"; what's up with that?

Dude ! where's my car??? i know i know eric's trip suffered
from the ominous spectre of a namby pamby emo-core
high schoolasaurus, but DUDE ! WHERE'S MY CAR !!
The way it went after they disbanded is EXTREMELY
rocking. Their current secret treehouse club is called
"elevator", and that new album "A Taste Of Complete
Perspective" not only rules like my budgie birds, but THE
LINER NOTES HAVE STEREOSCOPIC 3-D PHOTOGRAPHS
OF THE BAND (which you can see either by scrunching up your
eyes like those magic eye things, or take out a book on
x-ray crystallography from the library and sometimes they
include a stereoscopic viewer with it, and you can see the
band in 3D). Seriously though, study the math dude:

Eric's Trip --> Elevator = ROCKING

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WHERE'S MY CAR ?

-Clovis

ROCKING

JoeBear

Mar 29, 2001, 2:23:06 AM3/29/01
I don't know, I think that Blonde Redhead has grown out of that 'Sonic
Youth like' quality. I think they have a sound of thier own...... Just my
opinion.

Oh hey.... anyone like slint? I got some live tapes of them if you are
interested...

JoeBear
"Billy Q" <b...@aol.com> wrote in message

typocalypse (formerly godspeed!)

Mar 29, 2001, 3:07:29 AM3/29/01

> Oh hey.... anyone like slint? I got some live tapes of them if you are
> interested...

slint rocks.

Michiel Koot

Mar 29, 2001, 7:04:43 AM3/29/01
not a personal favourite, but sure a rip off: Placebo
actually, almost every song of them is a rip off of teenage riot

unwound is obviously influenced by Sy, but they're pretty ok.

michiel

Ben Smith

Mar 29, 2001, 7:57:52 AM3/29/01
On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, JoeBear wrote:

> I don't know, I think that Blonde Redhead has grown out of that 'Sonic
> Youth like' quality. I think they have a sound of thier own...... Just my
> opinion.
>
> Oh hey.... anyone like slint? I got some live tapes of them if you are
> interested...

Brilliant! (details?)

Speaking of slint, anyone into the for carnation here?

ben

--
Always - what does that mean?
Forever - what does that mean?

fruit solids

Mar 29, 2001, 9:03:01 AM3/29/01
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 18:30:51 was an imagined time.. vii...@mail.usask.ca
(www.Clovis.hedgehog.dot.com) thought..:

you posting is artist!

luke..

mail? it's not green, it's blue.

Bjorn Magnusson

Mar 29, 2001, 3:06:32 PM3/29/01
On Thu, 29 Mar 2001 22:57:52 +1000,
in alt.music.sonic-youth,
Ben Smith <b...@mail.usyd.edu.au> wrote:

> Speaking of slint, anyone into the for carnation here?

I do like that self-titled wang they broothed on Domino last yarong.
Have they sclintered any other dags before that one?
--
Björn Magnusson

bjorn.m<at>home.se

"In a coma you don't dream
you just hope that someone sits with you"
- Conor Oberst

j. komulainen

Mar 29, 2001, 4:15:08 PM3/29/01
to Michiel Koot
Michiel Koot wrote:

> not a personal favourite, but sure a rip off: Placebo
> actually, almost every song of them is a rip off of teenage riot
>
> unwound is obviously influenced by Sy, but they're pretty ok.

how about polvo?
they sound like they might be influenced. but they're okay too.

--
* j. komulainen

(take yr shoes off when replying)
saucer-like sonic youth http://sy.saucerlike.com
stupido twins http://www.stupido.fi
icq# 63628265

j. komulainen

Mar 29, 2001, 4:16:19 PM3/29/01
Michiel Koot wrote:

> not a personal favourite, but sure a rip off: Placebo
> actually, almost every song of them is a rip off of teenage riot
>
> unwound is obviously influenced by Sy, but they're pretty ok.

how about polvo?

j. komulainen

Mar 29, 2001, 4:15:51 PM3/29/01
to Michiel Koot
Michiel Koot wrote:

> not a personal favourite, but sure a rip off: Placebo
> actually, almost every song of them is a rip off of teenage riot
>
> unwound is obviously influenced by Sy, but they're pretty ok.

how about polvo?

JoeBear

Mar 29, 2001, 7:12:02 PM3/29/01

The For Carnation is pretty good. have their Fight SOngs EP and the
Marshmellows albums. Its like if Slint decided to change their style to
straight folk music, with a LITTLE rock added in. Very nice, though. If
anyone wants copies of those live Slint tapes, email me! I've got 4 shows,
that fit on 2 90 mins. (I'm pretty sure.)

Oh, and Polvo kicks ass. I saw them on thier last tour, with Trans Am
(who is also really good.) Polvo is amazing, althought slightly influenced
by SY (which is not a bad thing.)

And because we are talking about other bands, anyone haveany opinions on
these bands :
Rex
Mogwai
Hovercraft
Ganger

Anyway, Take care everyone.

JoeBear
"Ben Smith" <b...@mail.usyd.edu.au> wrote in message

Marten Sahlen

Mar 30, 2001, 3:53:01 AM3/30/01

Billy Q wrote:

> Yes, they do sound like SY, but some of them are quite endearing.
> My Favorite is: Blonde Redhead.

So I only own one album by the Swirlies, "Blonder Tongue Audio
Baton", but I always thought it reeked a bit too much of SY.
Perhaps not enough to classify them as a rip-off, but still...

/ Marten

Michiel Koot

Mar 30, 2001, 5:29:22 AM3/30/01
mogwai is really good

michiel

hev

Mar 30, 2001, 9:32:07 AM3/30/01
Fuck Thurston Moore if he thinks bands like Blonde Redhead are a 'rip off'

the way i look at it it's like a new genre of music (alternately tuned noise
etc). as if he didn't completely rip off branca's ideas... mix it with a
little punk rock and voilą!

so fuck the old man if he is starting to get nervous about the bands in his
rear view mirror

~hev~

Ramsey

Mar 30, 2001, 12:59:50 PM3/30/01

"Marten Sahlen" <etx...@al.etx.ericsson.se> wrote

> So I only own one album by the Swirlies, "Blonder Tongue Audio
> Baton", but I always thought it reeked a bit too much of SY.
> Perhaps not enough to classify them as a rip-off, but still...

"They Spent Their Wild Youthful Days in the Glittering World of Salons" is a
very different album, more diverse and interesting IMHO. Quite a good
album.

Though I've gotta say that I think they ripped off My Bloody Valentine more
than anyone else.

Ramsey

--
Remove "HORMEL" to respond.

Robert Traxler

Mar 30, 2001, 7:25:44 PM3/30/01
i don't think he was being that serious...and while it's not directly
related to Thurston, the fact that Blonde Redhead started off on Smells
Like Records is related indirectly sort've...
-robert

hev wrote:
> Fuck Thurston Moore if he thinks bands like Blonde Redhead are a 'rip off'
>
> the way i look at it it's like a new genre of music (alternately tuned noise
> etc). as if he didn't completely rip off branca's ideas... mix it with a

> little punk rock and voilà!

Robert Traxler

Mar 30, 2001, 7:29:39 PM3/30/01
JoeBear wrote:
> And because we are talking about other bands, anyone haveany opinions on
> these bands :
> Rex
> Mogwai
> Hovercraft
> Ganger

Mogwai is great...the little Jetset catalog thingie gives their
"Requisite Rock Reference" as: My Bloody Valentine, "Daydream Nation",
Flying Saucer Attack, Tortise, Eno...which i thought was a bit
interesting, the "Daydream Nation" as opposed to "Sonic Youth"
thing...but i guess it does fit best w/ them...
-robert

Robert Traxler

Mar 30, 2001, 7:30:37 PM3/30/01
j. komulainen wrote:
> how about polvo?
> they sound like they might be influenced. but they're okay too.

you're all talking like being influenced by Sonic Youth is a bad
thing...!?
-robert

hev

Mar 31, 2001, 11:53:32 AM3/31/01

>i don't think he was being that serious...and while it's not directly
>related to Thurston, the fact that Blonde Redhead started off on Smells
>Like Records is related indirectly sort've...

Yeah... i know. it is all pretty tongue in cheek.
but i am in a sonic youth rip off band so i had to blow some steam!!!!!
hahahahahhah.

anyway... judge for yourself:

Sick Of Sonic Youth

sick of sonic youth
and sonic youth rip-offs
dust devils
blonde redhead
sick of sonic youth
and sonic youth rip-offs
i hate envelope
cosloy sucks

-t.moore
alabama wildman

Hilandhall

Mar 31, 2001, 6:14:56 PM3/31/01
maybe youre forgetting that blonde redhead originally started off on smells
like records?

ass ninja

Mar 31, 2001, 9:23:41 PM3/31/01
>>BTW, read the poem about SY-rip offs in Alabama Wildman; I think Thurston
>>lists Blonde Redhead, Toaster, and one other. I don't have it with me, so
>>I can't quote the poem.

hey can someone start posting the good parts of that book here?
or, if there aren't any good parts, the scandolous bits?

TIA

ass ninja

Mar 31, 2001, 9:25:16 PM3/31/01
> I don't know, I think that Blonde Redhead has grown out of that 'Sonic
> Youth like' quality. I think they have a sound of thier own...... Just my
> opinion.

> Oh hey.... anyone like slint? I got some live tapes of them if you are
> interested...

i like aerial M

quite a lot

ass ninja

Mar 31, 2001, 9:26:08 PM3/31/01
>> Speaking of slint, anyone into the for carnation here?

> I do like that self-titled wang they broothed on Domino last yarong.
> Have they sclintered any other dags before that one?

where's me droogs at?

ass ninja

Mar 31, 2001, 9:27:05 PM3/31/01
> Mogwai

pretty good ambient rock. if you're into pink floyd and radiohead and
stuff like that.

ass ninja

Mar 31, 2001, 9:28:50 PM3/31/01
> Fuck Thurston Moore if he thinks bands like Blonde Redhead are a 'rip off'

> the way i look at it it's like a new genre of music (alternately tuned noise
> etc). as if he didn't completely rip off branca's ideas... mix it with a

> little punk rock and voila!

> so fuck the old man if he is starting to get nervous about the bands in his
> rear view mirror

man i think thurston moore realizes how whack he is and if he accuses
someone of ripping off sonic youth he isn't JEALOUS he's just trying to be
objective. of course it would help if someone would type up that part of
the book... eh

ass ninja

Mar 31, 2001, 9:30:17 PM3/31/01
> Sick Of Sonic Youth

> sick of sonic youth
> and sonic youth rip-offs
> dust devils
> blonde redhead
> sick of sonic youth
> and sonic youth rip-offs
> i hate envelope
> cosloy sucks

> -t.moore
> alabama wildman

hey woah i should really read stuff before i whine and stuff. is that book
a book of poems? cuz seriously if it's all like that i'll buy it

Robert Traxler

Mar 31, 2001, 10:03:16 PM3/31/01
ass ninja wrote:
> of course it would help if someone would type up that part of
> the book... eh

someone already did...
-robert

Robert Traxler

Mar 31, 2001, 10:03:59 PM3/31/01
ass ninja wrote:
> hey woah i should really read stuff before i whine and stuff.

me too...
-robert

JoeBear

Mar 31, 2001, 11:48:53 PM3/31/01
Have you heard that Aerial M remix album? Pretty good stuff.....

JoeBear
"ass ninja" <ro...@treehouse.dyndns.org> wrote in message

ass ninja

Apr 1, 2001, 3:05:21 AM4/1/01
JoeBear <joeb...@home.com> wrote:
> Have you heard that Aerial M remix album? Pretty good stuff.....

yeah that's what i was thinking of sort of. the 4 versions of wedding song

j. komulainen

Apr 1, 2001, 12:43:24 PM4/1/01
Robert Traxler wrote:

> you're all talking like being influenced by Sonic Youth is a bad
> thing...!?
> -robert

umm no, not that i'm aware of.
as a matter of fact, i dig sy-influenced bands... alot.

JoeBear

Apr 1, 2001, 9:36:53 PM4/1/01
Yeah, that DJ Your Food Remix is amazing

JoeBear
"ass ninja" <ro...@treehouse.dyndns.org> wrote in message

Mike Linksvayer

Apr 1, 2001, 10:16:04 PM4/1/01
Clearly Rapeman is a SY ripoff and Savage Republic is a Rapeman
ripoff, so Savage Republic is a SY ripoff. Heh heh.

Some obscure band did a spoof of "Satan Is Boring" with lyrics like
"Satan isn't boring, he's very talkative" and "Satan doesn't need
Sonic Youth around anyhow", can't remember the name of the song or
band. Anyone know?
--
See From: and Organization: above.

Kenan Tezer

Apr 2, 2001, 12:43:54 AM4/2/01
1979 is a ripoff of the Husker Du song "Whats Going on" from Zen Arcade.

Kenan

-"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Nietzsche

Jamie Day wrote:

> what about that band "eric's trip"; what's up with that?
>
> i'm not sure why, but '1979' by smashing pumpkins always seemed like a
> stolen s-y chord progression, and now that new aerosmith single is a
> rip-off of '1979'. scary.

> Billy Q wrote:
> >
> > Yes, they do sound like SY, but some of them are quite endearing.
> > My Favorite is: Blonde Redhead.

Greg Gasiorowski

Apr 4, 2001, 4:31:43 AM4/4/01

"JoeBear" <joeb...@home.com> wrote in message

> Yeah, that DJ Your Food Remix is amazing

Well, it's DJ Food go figure...

Greg Gasiorowski

Apr 4, 2001, 4:45:37 AM4/4/01

"Mike Linksvayer" <m...@gondwanaland.com> wrote in message

> Clearly Rapeman is a SY ripoff and Savage Republic is a Rapeman
> ripoff, so Savage Republic is a SY ripoff. Heh heh.

So Savage Republic ripped off Rapeman when they existed around a year before
Big Black formed?
I guess Albini's powers of psychic influence transcend time. I could believe
it if the bands sounded at all alike.

George Perry

Apr 4, 2001, 10:16:09 AM4/4/01
Speaking of Albini, i saw an outstanding band in Detroit this past Friday
that reminded me of Big Black.
They are called Mhz and really rock. Of course headliners The Wildbunch
(www.the-wildbunch.com) really tore the roof of the joint!

"Greg Gasiorowski" <vgo...@megsinet.com> wrote in message

ass ninja

Apr 5, 2001, 2:13:00 AM4/5/01
George Perry <georg...@sprint.ca> wrote:
> Speaking of Albini, i saw an outstanding band in Detroit this past Friday
> that reminded me of Big Black.
> They are called Mhz and really rock. Of course headliners The Wildbunch
> (www.the-wildbunch.com) really tore the roof of the joint!

there's already a hip hop group called Mhz. there might have a bloody
collision in namespace if they don't watch out.

infinity turtle

Apr 5, 2001, 1:38:28 PM4/5/01
>there might have a bloody
>collision in namespace if they don't watch out.

gee, i wonder what that would be like....

charlie

"I am just a worthless liar,
I am just an imbecile"
--Maynard Keenan

Greg Gasiorowski

Apr 6, 2001, 4:49:20 AM4/6/01

"ass ninja" <ro...@treehouse.dyndns.org> wrote in message

> there's already a hip hop group called Mhz. there might have a bloody

> collision in namespace if they don't watch out.

Big Black WAS a hip hop group...

sonic_reducer (ed)

Apr 7, 2001, 10:39:39 AM4/7/01
pumpkins are good

--
"is it glass or someone who looks like him"
"Jamie Day" <pigs...@home.com> wrote in message

Greg Gasiorowski

Apr 7, 2001, 11:58:23 PM4/7/01

"sonic_reducer (ed)" <blin...@coqui.net> wrote in message

> pumpkins are good

In pie, but sweet potatoes are better...

Mike Linksvayer

Apr 8, 2001, 1:37:07 AM4/8/01
In article <3acadf2f$0$11822$6d5e...@news.infinet.com>,

I was joking. Clearly the three bands don't sound anything alike.
Here's the derivation:

Sonic Youth
-> Rapeman ("Kim Gordon's Panties" from Two Nuns and a Pack Mule)
-> Savage Republic ("Rapeman's First EP" from Customs).

Greg Gasiorowski

Apr 8, 2001, 2:54:41 AM4/8/01

"Mike Linksvayer" <m...@gondwanaland.com>

> I was joking. Clearly the three bands don't sound anything alike.
> Here's the derivation:
>
> Sonic Youth
> -> Rapeman ("Kim Gordon's Panties" from Two Nuns and a Pack Mule)
> -> Savage Republic ("Rapeman's First EP" from Customs).
> --
> See From: and Organization: above.

My sense of sarcasm is out the window w/ my car engine...

dp3

Apr 8, 2001, 11:37:23 PM4/8/01

> "sonic_reducer (ed)" <blin...@coqui.net> wrote in message
>
> > pumpkins are good
>
> In pie, but sweet potatoes are better...

neither can match pecans when done well

Greg Gasiorowski

Apr 9, 2001, 12:27:42 AM4/9/01

"dp3" <jy...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> > "sonic_reducer (ed)" <blin...@coqui.net> wrote in message
> >
> > > pumpkins are good
> >
> > In pie, but sweet potatoes are better...
>
> neither can match pecans when done well

To much sugar but then again Sugar is pretty darn horid to begin with...

Semuta

Apr 10, 2001, 6:20:31 PM4/10/01

sugars like sand for the teeth, rather than the feet
NEvER the MInD,

Pik-Svonn

Apr 13, 2001, 11:36:07 AM4/13/01
I'd like Slint live tapes please!