The third Prodigy cover song!...

Pete Computerless Thomas

Nov 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/1/97

Because of constant gigging commitments, the Prodigy have still yet to
finish the work on a cover of 'Eton Rifles' by influential British
punk band The Jam.

The song will be released on a package of other Jam covers by many
other artists (Beastie Boys; Dodgy; Noel Gallagher; etc).

The people co-ordinating this aren't too pleased, as the Prodigy have
caused this package to be delayed until at least Spring '98!

They wanted it out around now, to coincide with the release of The
Best Of The Jam, released last week.

--
Pete...
Beat Surrender :)

Richard Brown CS95

Nov 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/4/97

Juha Mattila wrote:
> > finish the work on a cover of 'Eton Rifles' by influential British
> > punk band The Jam.
>
> And Fuel My Fire is second cover song.. but what song is first cover > song?

Its 'Fire' isn't it? Written by the Crazy World Of Arthur Brown. Which
I suppose makes it a cover version even though it sounds nothing like
the original apart from the "God Of Hellfire" sample.

I can't imagine 'Eton Rifles' by The Prodigy. What the hell is that
gonna sound like?

Pete Computerless Thomas

Nov 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/4/97

Richard Brown CS95 <rbr...@cs.strath.ac.uk> wrote:

>Juha Mattila wrote:
>> > finish the work on a cover of 'Eton Rifles' by influential British
>> > punk band The Jam.
>> And Fuel My Fire is second cover song.. but what song is first cover > song?
>Its 'Fire' isn't it?

Wrong.

>Written by the Crazy World Of Arthur Brown.

Well, the original song was. Prodigy's Fire, tho, is a Prodigy
creation.

>Which I suppose makes it a cover version even though it sounds nothing like
>the original apart from the "God Of Hellfire" sample.

Er, you've just debunked your own argument in one sentence!

Cover songs are supposed to follow the tune of the original. And Fire
certainly doesn't, it just uses the "God of Hellfire" sample, as you
said!

Would Music Reach suddenly be a cover of Erik B and Rakim's 'Paid In
Full'? Or Smack My Bitch Up a cover of The Ultramagnetic MCs' 'Give
The Drummer Some'?

>I can't imagine 'Eton Rifles' by The Prodigy.

Neither can I.

I'm familiar with the original, as I do like the Jam. That's probably
why can't even begin to imagine how Liam would cover it!

>What the hell is that gonna sound like?

Expect big vocal chants of "Et-on Ri-fles", and fuck all else. ;-)
Just my humble prediction! :)

--
Pete...
Going Underground...

Mike Jakeman

Nov 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/4/97

In article <878585368.18320.6...@news.demon.co.uk>, Pete
Computerless Thomas <pa...@stretfordend.demon.co.ukSPAMSUCKZ> writes

>Juha Mattila <ju...@stab.bbs.sci.fi> wrote:
>
>>> finish the work on a cover of 'Eton Rifles' by influential British
>>> punk band The Jam.
>>And Fuel My Fire is second cover song.. but what song is first cover song?
>
>Ghost Town by The Specials.
I didn't think the Prodigy had covered that? Which Prodge track is it?

>--

Mike

Mike Jakeman

Nov 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/4/97

In article <e994de...@stab.bbs.sci.fi>, Juha Mattila
<ju...@stab.bbs.sci.fi> writes
>Article "The third Prodigy cover song!..."

>pa...@stretfordend.demon.co.ukSPAMSUCKZ (Pete Computerless Tho write:
>
>> finish the work on a cover of 'Eton Rifles' by influential British
>> punk band The Jam.
>
>And Fuel My Fire is second cover song.. but what song is first cover song?

It may not be a cover but Out of Space has a distinct similarity to
Outer Space by Lee Perry

Mike

Anonymous

Nov 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/6/97

On 4-Nov-97, Richard Brown wrote:

>Juha Mattila wrote:
>> > finish the work on a cover of 'Eton Rifles' by influential British
>> > punk band The Jam.
>>
>> And Fuel My Fire is second cover song.. but what song is first cover > song?
>
>Its 'Fire' isn't it? Written by the Crazy World Of Arthur Brown. Which

>I suppose makes it a cover version even though it sounds nothing like
>the original apart from the "God Of Hellfire" sample.
>
>I can't imagine 'Eton Rifles' by The Prodigy. What the hell is that
>gonna sound like?

It's gonna sound absolute SHITE! I guess it'll be quite punky, like
Fuel My Fire from FOTL or something like that.....I mean, the original
song is quite "punky", so Liam will go with that flow. After all, he
doesn't know how to do anything else these days. Especially with a
cover version. And of course, it'll have the obligatory Keef "Shoot
me, I can't sing" Flint bawling away with the "Eton Rifles" vocals
part. Oh lordy, please spare me....

I used to like the Prodigy, but they have now gone shit. Go to your
CD collection, pick up "Jilted" and slap it on yer CD-player....Listen
to it hard, listen to it thoroughly....What you are listening to there
is the best work that the Prodigy have done...It is also the best work
that the Prodigy WILL EVER do. That is thier peak, and it will not
be achieved or surpassed again, ever. It's a sad fact of life, but
that's the truth. Everyone goes on about FOTL, but they only talk
about that as it's the "latest" album...Believe me, if the Prodigy
released another album (say) next year, everyone would forget about
FOTL and rave-on about the new album and how "great" it is...(Even
tho it will be shite).

Enough's Enough.

-Renton.

Juha Mattila

Nov 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/6/97

Article "Re: The third Prodigy cover song!..."

pa...@stretfordend.demon.co.ukSPAMSUCKZ (Pete Computerless Tho write:

> Ghost Town by The Specials.

> And, no, it's not available. Well, the original tune is, of course! I
> have that here on an original 7"!

Have you ever heard Prodigy version?
Do you got it on tape?-)

--

Email: Ju...@stab.bbs.sci.fi
24.10.97..Arena...Prodigy..ja minäkin olin..

Eleusi217

Nov 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/7/97

> nob...@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)

>It's gonna sound absolute SHITE! I guess it'll be quite punky, >like

>Fuel My Fire from FOTL or something like that.....I mean, the >original
>song is quite "punky", so Liam will go with that flow. After all, he
>doesn't know how to do anything else these days.

Erm...really? Diesel Power isn't "punky." Nor is most of FOTL...IMHO.

> And of course, it'll have the obligatory Keef "Shoot
>me, I can't sing" Flint bawling away with the "Eton Rifles" vocals
>part. Oh lordy, please spare me....

I don't think he ever claimed to be a "singer."

>I used to like the Prodigy, but they have now gone shit.

Oh dear.
IYHO.

> Go to your
>CD collection, pick up "Jilted" and slap it on yer >CD-player....Listen
>to it hard, listen to it thoroughly....What you are listening to there
>is the best work that the Prodigy have done...

Again, IYHO.

>.It is also the best work
>that the Prodigy WILL EVER do. That is thier peak, and it will >not
>be achieved or surpassed again, ever. It's a sad fact of life, but
>that's the truth.

And you know this to be true because...

I respect and understand when people say "I like MFTJG better" but I don't
understand this pre-FOTL elitist thing. The music has changed, the person
making the music has changed.

If Liam had just kept releasing Experience-esque singles/albums during the last
six years, I would have definitely moved on. And despite the extremely high
opinion I hold for MFTJG, I would have been disappointed if FOTL had been a
carbon copy of Jilted. IMO, of course.

>Everyone goes on about FOTL, but they only talk
>about that as it's the "latest" album...Believe me, if the Prodigy
>released another album (say) next year, everyone would forget >about
>FOTL and rave-on about the new album and how "great" it is...
>(Even
>tho it will be shite).

I personally didn't throw out all of my pre-FOTL stuff when the FOTL was
released. Nor will I throw out FOTL when the next thing is released...

As far as it being shite, don't buy it and live forever in 1995.

Kristin

Mark Adamson

Nov 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/7/97

On Thu, 6 Nov 1997 20:50:07 +0100 (MET), nob...@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)
wrote:

>It's gonna sound absolute SH.....<SNIP SNIP SNIP>

I've never read so much crap in my entire life...

Ta very mucho --->>
Addo! - www2.krisalis.co.uk/~wwwaddo

"Britpop - Before this musical phenomenon there was only one decent
alternative music night in Doncaster. Now there is none "

- Mark Adamson 1997.

Voodoo

Nov 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/7/97

Anonymous wrote in message <1997110619...@basement.replay.com>...

>I used to like the Prodigy, but they have now gone shit. Go to your

>CD collection, pick up "Jilted" and slap it on yer CD-player....Listen
>to it hard, listen to it thoroughly....What you are listening to there

>is the best work that the Prodigy have done...It is also the best work

>that the Prodigy WILL EVER do. That is thier peak, and it will not
>be achieved or surpassed again, ever. It's a sad fact of life, but

>that's the truth. Everyone goes on about FOTL, but they only talk

>about that as it's the "latest" album...Believe me, if the Prodigy
>released another album (say) next year, everyone would forget about
>FOTL and rave-on about the new album and how "great" it is...(Even
>tho it will be shite).
>

>Enough's Enough.
>
>-Renton.

Well, don't start slagging FOTL yet. You're just not enjoying the new side
of the Prodge. I respect your opinion, and that you may not like that new
guitar stuff, but it's happened and that's that. I agree with you that
Jilted is their best album, never to be topped. There's no way for me to
enjoy Serial Thrilla like I've enjoyed No Good or Speedway. I'm a wannabe
musician, and I just enjoy more unreal sound. That's my opinion, but don't
get too viscious about yours...

--Voodoo
I will *always* like Speedway. Call it cheesy, call it boring, but when it's
at 100 dB, you're liking it!

Mike Jakeman

Nov 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/7/97

In article <878757079.25771.5...@news.demon.co.uk>, Pete
Computerless Thomas <pa...@stretfordend.demon.co.ukSPAMSUCKZ> writes

>>>And Fuel My Fire is second cover song.. but what song is first cover song?
>>It may not be a cover but Out of Space has a distinct similarity to
>>Outer Space by Lee Perry
>
>Are sure you're not thinking of Chase The Devil by Max Romeo, the very
>song it got sampled from?
I saw a tele programme on Lee Perry late on Channel 4 two weeks ago and
they played a track which they called Outer Space and it had the same
voice, rhythm, everything. Some of the lyrics were even identical!

Mike