questions about the NPG

Lars O. Einarsson

Mar 24, 1995, 6:10:50 PM3/24/95
Didn't anyone answer this mail? Hmmm...
This is how I personally quickly answer (hopefully I remember
things correctly...):

>1)which is the current line-up of the NPG?

Mr. Hayes, Tommy Barbarella, Michael B., Sonny T., Mayte and
Tora Tora ( = O(+> ).

>is it the
>same of the "Diamonds and Pearls" and "O(+>" albums
>and their tours?

No.
The NPG first appeared at the Rock-In-Rio-II festival in Jan.
1991. The line-up was based on the NUDE tour backing band:
Michael Bland (drums), Rosie Gaines (keyboards), and The Game
Boyz dancers/rappers Tony Mosley, Damon Dickson, Kirk Johnson.
Tommy Barbarella replaced Dr. Fink on keyboards. Sonny T.
replaced Levi Seacer Jr on bass, but Levi was still in the band
replacing guitarist Miko Weaver.
For the DIAMONDS AND PEARLS tour (and some concerts before)
in 1992 Prince added a five-piece horn section called The NPG
Hornz, DJ William Graves, and the three female dancers Diamond
(Lori Elle), Pearl (Robia LaMorte), Mayte Garcia. None of these
were actually in The NPG.
After the DIAMONDS AND PEARLS tour Rosie Gaines left, and
Mayte was somehow credited as a member for the O(+> album in
the fall'92.
On the ACT I tour in the spring'93 Morris Hayes was added as
Rosie's replacement. The NPG Hornz and Mayte were still there
for both the ACT I and II tours, but DJ Graves, Diamond and
Pearl were out. The Game Boyz left after the Act I tour.
For the first NPG album GOLD NIGGA in the fall'93 the
line-up was the same as on the ACT I tour (minus Mayte) with a
new male dancer Magoo added. The NPG Hornz played on some
tracks (so did O(+> who also uncredited [noone, or nothing, is
credited on this half-official NPG Records album] sung lead
vocals on some tracks).
After that album Levi Seacer, The Game Boyz and The NPG
Hornz (the latter now known as Hornheads) definately left.
The NPG didn't exist in 1994. But the same 4-piece backing
band (plus Mayte) O(+> used then, was once again named The NPG
for the GOLD tour in 1995.
On the new EXODUS album is O(+> a member (guitarist) as
well. Our man uses the name Tora Tora. Is this how we should
pronounce the symbol? ;-) Now, Sonny is the lead singer.

>2)Are we supposed to believe that "Prince", back in
>1991, met this people who were in a band and joined
>them?

No (see above).

>Does anyone doubts that the NPG are another toy,
>one of His "ghost projects," and that the creative
>input of the rest of the members is dubious?

Seems that way...

>3)If he has a band, as he used to have with the
>Revolution (and THAT was a band!) why doesn't he uses
>them as touring band instead taking only Michael,
>Sonny T, Tommy etc? Why does he want only a few
>musicians on stage

Who knows, except for the man himself? But, the four-piece band
he has now is okay, isn't it...?

>4)What is, then, O(+> doing in the NPG album? Writing?
>Playing? Singing?

Yes, whatever. On the first NPG album GOLD NIGGA Tony M.
rapped, and on the new one EXODUS Sonny T. sings lead vocals.

>5)will we see an NPG tour?

Yes, in some way it is happening right now (the GOLD tour)...

/Lars O. Einarsson

"Everybody's going Uptown, that's where I wanna be, Uptown, set
your mind free, Uptown."
- Prince 1980.

[Not a good quote for me to use - I know...] :)

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond

Mar 27, 1995, 10:10:12 AM3/27/95
In article <3kvjhq$e...@everyday.everyday.se>,

Lars O. Einarsson <upt...@everyday.se> wrote:

> The NPG didn't exist in 1994. But the same 4-piece backing
>band (plus Mayte) O(+> used then, was once again named The NPG
>for the GOLD tour in 1995.

The "old" NPG didn't exist, but the "new" NPG which was the 4-piece
band has existed since at least April 1994. I remember meeting them
at the opening of the London NPG store, and they were definitely
who they are now.

> On the new EXODUS album is O(+> a member (guitarist) as
>well. Our man uses the name Tora Tora. Is this how we should
>pronounce the symbol? ;-) Now, Sonny is the lead singer.

Not exactly. In all the performances so far, it's Tora Tora
who's been singing the lead vox. On the EXODUS album, Tora
Tora does guitars "and all that shit" which means he's
helping out in pretty much everything.
Furthermore, while not being a full part of the NPG, Eric
Leeds has been commissioned to play Sax and Flute on EXODUS,
as well as in the recent aftershows.

>>Does anyone doubts that the NPG are another toy,
>>one of His "ghost projects," and that the creative
>>input of the rest of the members is dubious?
>>
>Seems that way...

I would not be as tough as this. When you work for O(+>, you
generally end-up in his shadow after a few months. In the
aftershows, all band members were asked to come-up with solos
which they alone could make-up.

>>3)If he has a band, as he used to have with the
>>Revolution (and THAT was a band!) why doesn't he uses
>>them as touring band instead taking only Michael,
>>Sonny T, Tommy etc? Why does he want only a few
>>musicians on stage
>>
>Who knows, except for the man himself? But, the four-piece band
>he has now is okay, isn't it...?

With 2 keyboards, 1 bass, 1 drum, and 1 guitar, plus the occasional
appearance of 1 Sax, isn't that a band ?

>>4)What is, then, O(+> doing in the NPG album? Writing?
>>Playing? Singing?
>>
>Yes, whatever. On the first NPG album GOLD NIGGA Tony M.
>rapped, and on the new one EXODUS Sonny T. sings lead vocals.

Hmmm. Again, let me add that Tora Tora is on lead as well...

>>5)will we see an NPG tour?
>>
>Yes, in some way it is happening right now (the GOLD tour)...

I wouldn't even say "in some way".

It *is* the NPG tour. And you will have to notice the following
two things:

1. O(+> is now giving interviews, while Prince didn't in the past.
2. the concept of the New Power Generation is to bring the music
closer to the fans. By playing both the regular concert, and
an aftershow after the concert, O(+> *is* bringing the music
closer to the fans.

There *is* a wave going-on at the moment. In the past week, I have
heard a lot of people who were previously not even remotely
interested in Prince / O(+> take some interest because of all
the new music he's coming-up with, and because of his "experiment"
(because, after all, this is all brand new ground he's going into)
with Warner Brothers.

One last point: The Exodus album is distributed by Edel/Sony in
some of the European countries. Ouch ! Sony vs. Warner ?

O.

Lars O. Einarsson

Mar 26, 1995, 11:50:59 PM3/26/95

styl...@uwpg02.uwinnipeg.ca () wrote:

>Was the "GoldNigga" album any good?

If you like party music, Tony M rapping and so on, the answer
is YES.

>What songs were on it?

1. Goldnigga pt.1
2. Guess Who's Knockin'
3. Oilcan
4. Segue
5. Deuce & A Quarter
6. Seque
7. Black M.F. In The House
8. Goldnigga pt.2
9. Goldie's Parade
10. Segue
11. 2gether [also released on single and on the 1-800-NEW-FUNK
album]
12. Seque
13. Call The Law [also released on Prince's single "Money Don't
Matter 2 Night"]
14. Johnny
15. Segue
16. Goldnigga pt.3

New Power Generation: GOLDNIGGA.
NPG Records, 1993 [only sold at the NPG store and mail order].

Lawrence Campbell

Mar 28, 1995, 4:20:18 AM3/28/95
HASSEN6545 (hasse...@aol.com) wrote:
> id like to know when this album is out i heard this week if anyone knows
> when npgs new album is coming out e-mail me

It's in the shops now.
Here, anyway...

Lawrence.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/~n323268/

HASSEN6545

Mar 27, 1995, 2:42:03 PM3/27/95

Groenendijk B.

Mar 28, 1995, 10:23:46 AM3/28/95

> >Does anyone doubts that the NPG are another toy,
> >one of His "ghost projects," and that the creative
> >input of the rest of the members is dubious?
> >
> Seems that way...

I don't see how anyone can deny the creative input of any of the bands
that used to play with him. furthermore: I don't think there ever
was a band which had so much input as the NPG now has.

> >3)If he has a band, as he used to have with the
> >Revolution (and THAT was a band!)

why doesn't he uses
> >them as touring band instead taking only Michael,
> >Sonny T, Tommy etc? Why does he want only a few
> >musicians on stage
> >
> Who knows, except for the man himself? But, the four-piece band
> he has now is okay, isn't it...?

Okay seems to be an understatement, The NPG is most certain the best
band O(+> played with, ever

Bart Groenendijk