Letterman from the inside

AyanO

Dec 15, 1994, 1:55:22 AM12/15/94
Hey all.. i read the posts from the people about the letterman show, since
i was one of the lucky 250 people to get in the show, i will let yall
know about the whole thing from the inside. First, everyone will ask me
how i got tickets, and i dont want my email box blowing up. i have a
friend
who just happened to have tickets for that nite, talk about luck.
Ok lets start at 2pm when i got the theatre.. There was a crowd of only
10 people, half of whom had slave written on their face, and one true
idiot, who dressed up as O-+>, complete with hair/makeup, slave on face,
the whole deal. Around 3:45 the first limo pulled up, there were police
barricades up, with a good amount of fans on both sides of the barricades.
The first limo had i think, Morris, Sonny, and MikeB.. Then a second
one pulled up a few minutes later, with Tommy and Mayte.. Then the van
with the technicians, Zeke, Magoo, and others.. All this anticipation for
O-+> to show up, was building up, the NYC finest were out to protect him.
I must say, that i didnt see him go in, cause i was out front making sure
to get on the VIP list and get seats in the main section. At around 4:10pm
after O-+> arrived, i had made arrangements, with someone i know who works
at the show to let me in the rehearsal. So we(4 walk in the same door the
band used a few minutes ago), on a monitor there was O-+> jamming away
on dolphin, using his Black Symbol guitar, it sounded REALLY good, so
we walk in the door, and i can see the back of MikeB head and hear the
music nice and loud, i am getting excited here, when out of nowhere,
Koko, the bodyguard who carried O-+> off-stage at the end of the
performance
stopped us and said "THIS IS A CLOSED REHEARSAL" my heart sank, cause last
time i went to letterman, i got to freeze my butt off, watching Nenah
Cherry and Youssour Ndor do their rehearsal.. So we go back in the lobby
and i catch a few more seconds of the tv monitor, centered right on O-+>
I get back on line and we are let in at 4:40pm, for 10 minutes inside
we can still hear them rehearsing dolphin, nothing else was seemd to be
played, and they were just running thru the song straight, no stops..
Ok so they lets us in, and i am hoping to be on the left side of the
facing the stage.. i get a great seat, in the 4th row, one from main
aisle.
I am sure i am going to get major airtime, since dave ususally favors that
side.. well i was wrong, that idiot with the ear muffs was on the other
side, so they favored that side.. The wait for O-+> was aweful, before he
came on, and they were moving the band equiptment out Pauls Band breaks
into When You Were Mine, playing the whole song, it sounds decent...
Dave introduces O-+> he plays, in the studio the sound was aweful, too
heavy on the bass, but they must of fixed the mix, cause on video it
sounds
decent... after the show was over, they dont let us leave, cause we are
told they have to retape kathy lee gifford, as the first time they did her
they had too much feedback.. i am about to throw up at the propsect of
seeing
her sing again.. a 10 minute wait to set up.. i am hoping that O-+> sound
was bad also, since it sounded aweful to me, and they would have to do him
again.. well no luck.. all i got was kathy lee again.. So after the show
I am hanging around to see if my friend who was going to get us in the
rehearsal, could sneak us backstage, well no luck, since the whole band
was long gone.. understand the taping took 1:30 hours, we got out at 7pm
so much for that live on tape crap. Hmm so the friend instead of getting
us backstage, gave me 2 unused guitar picks, the new ones, that i have
wanted
for a long time, but i managed to get one the night before at the pret-a
porter world premier party(that story later). The picks are really nice,
they have the symbol in gold on the front with a goldish/silverish
hologram
type of background that changes colors. Too bad this was an unused pick,
a friend of mine, managed to get one with a notch in it, from when he
broke
a string, up at the beautiful expereince concert in Feb of 94...
So the show was over, we go outside, and there might be 100 people or
most of whom have slave on their face.. I heard the story of when he left
but since i wasnt there, but trapped inside listening to kathy lee, i wont
rely it, but let someone who was outside tell it.. I will mention this tho
O-+> jumped into a limo, and some lady was screaming and banging on the
roof, so they took off.. this left mayte stranded outside in the cold,
waiting for the next limo, while fans mobbed her, i am sure she ain't too
happy.. this is second hand, the part about outside, so i cant guarntee
everything..
As for the reaction of the people inside letterman, well i think me and
my friend were the only O-+> in there. Some people upon leaving, could be
heard over saying "what was that blood on his face" and "that angel was
very pretty, but she was the angel of death" and "he is so strange now, he
used to be normal" i didnt bother to talk to them, but if they think
dirty mind era, overcoat, thigh high boots and black bikini undies is
normal, well then they are more hip than me..
Oh for people wondering if they can see me, in the opening shot from the
boom cam, there is a glimspe of me. I have a bright ass gold hockey jersey
and i am sitting one seat from the aisle..
It was definately a fun experience, but i prefer the audio mix of the
version
i heard in rehearsal, which had more guitar emphsis, and i really like
the undertaker version of just sonny, mike and O-+>..

Peace n b Wild

Ayan