Coming soon: Uptown # 57

Bart Van Hemelen

Apr 27, 2003, 7:03:27 AM4/27/03

http://www.uptown.se/2002/uptown57.shtml

Published 30 April 2003: UPTOWN #57

We're back with issue #57, already the third issue this year after the
double issues of #55 and #56. In addition, issue #58 is scheduled for
June, so Prince's recent period of media inactivity doesn't influence
us much. On the contrary, it gives us a better chance to catch up with
our documentation of Prince's past activities. After all, that was one
of the main reasons why we started the magazine nearly 12 years ago.

Issue #57 contains four articles:

The Crown Jewels -- The Complete Guide to UK Prince Releases

Since Prince first came to the UK in 1981, it is felt that Prince has
always had a strong affinity with his UK fans. His only fan-run fan
magazine and club, Controversy, was based in the UK and the only NPG
store outside America was based in London. This article provides a
detailed guide to Prince's UK releases, updating the feature in UPTOWN
#16, published in October 1994. The article and accompanying
discography covers Prince's work up until the end of 2002.

New Directions in Music -- The Xpectation Album Study

Subtitled "New directions in music from Prince," Xpectation is the
latest album by Prince. The nine tracks were released as MP3 downloads
on January 1st 2003 to members of the NPG Music Club. The album
continues in the instrumental jazz-funk-rock vein of Prince's Madhouse
project, but there are interesting digressions from the Madhouse
formula, including the addition of electric violin, played by Vanessa
Mae. This album study examines the contents of Xpectation.

Turn It Update - Part 2 -- Updated and Revised TURN IT UP 2.0
Information

We continue to update and revise the information in TURN IT UP 2.0,
published nearly two years ago. The first instalment in the series was
included in UPTOWN #53, covering two sections, A Beautiful Night
(concerts on audio and video tape) and Let's Work (rehearsals on audio
and video tape). This time, we update the listings of audio and video
recordings of concerts (A Beautiful Night) even further and we examine
unreleased songs and different versions of released songs (Grooves And
Grooves) that have emerged since TURN IT UP 2.0 was published.

Hit! -- An Excerpt from Possessed: The Rise and Fall of Prince

This article is an excerpt from Chapter 12 of Alex Hahn's book,
Possessed: The Rise and Fall of Prince, now available for discount
ordering on amazon.com and bn.com. Hahn's book covers Prince's entire
life and career, from his early years growing up in Minneapolis
through the recording of The Rainbow Children.

Bart Van Hemelen
http://pr1nc3.com/BVH/
Looking for answer? Why not try:
http://pr1nc3.com/google.asp (for searching alt.music.prince history)
http://www.prince.org/faq/
http://www.prince.org/ (if there's any news, they'll probably have it)
"Reality TV is like actual reality much in the same way that pro wrestlers
are wrestlers and exotic dancers are dancers - not quite the real thing,
but they draw a crowd."
-- Matthew Felling, Washington D.C.'s Center for Media and Public Affairs,
in Entertainment Weekly, issue # 692/693, January 24/31, 2003

Bart Van Hemelen

Apr 27, 2003, 9:54:10 AM4/27/03
In the dim and distant past on Sun, 27 Apr 2003 13:03:27 +0200, it was
rumoured that Bart Van Hemelen <tenthousa...@yahoo.com> spake
thus on the subject of "Coming soon: Uptown # 57" in alt.music.prince:

>http://www.uptown.se/2002/uptown57.shtml

>Hit! -- An Excerpt from Possessed: The Rise and Fall of Prince
>
>This article is an excerpt from Chapter 12 of Alex Hahn's book,
>Possessed: The Rise and Fall of Prince, now available for discount
>ordering on amazon.com and bn.com. Hahn's book covers Prince's entire
>life and career, from his early years growing up in Minneapolis
>through the recording of The Rainbow Children.

Here's a rather funny excerpt:

From the very beginning, though, Prince saw talents in Tony Mosley
that no one else could detect. “I thought he was a Dr. Dre wannabe,”
said Rosie Gaines in a typical appraisal. Throughout Mosley’s tenure,
reactions to his contributions – from fans, critics, and Prince’s
associates – would be almost monolithically negative, and with good
reason: Mosley’s delivery was sloppy and dull, his image contrived and
generic. His sudden prominence in Prince’s music had little to do with
Mosley himself – it was instead a historical accident explained only
by Prince’s haste to exploit the commercial appeal of rap. Because
Prince had never understood rap, and in fact disliked it, he failed to
perceive the vast gulf between his new recruit and much more skilled
rappers, like Chuck D. and Ice-T, to whom Mosley’s stylings bore a
superficial resemblance.

But Mosley had the boss’ ear, and he knew it. Several band members
recall that Mosley exclaimed one day to his colleagues regarding
Prince (who was not present): “I’m gonna shove black down that nigga’s
throat if it kills me.” This declaration was a rallying cry to bring
Prince back to his roots in African-American music.

And Mosley’s impact quickly became apparent. Prince, in a visual
emulation of gangsta rap, began singing into a microphone shaped like
a gun and also began favoring more masculine clothing. Quite
consciously, he was updating himself to attract younger consumers and
to reconnect with African-American fans who might have been turned off
by his movement toward rock and pop in the mid-1980s. “He wanted other
black artists to look at him as ‘hard’ and as ‘street’ as they were,”
studio engineer Michael Koppelman said. “I remember he kept using the
word ‘hard.’”

Jolene Davies

Apr 27, 2003, 10:28:30 AM4/27/03
I remember another quote from Tone 'The Deacon' M, where he was ased what it
was lie to wor with Prince, to which he replied, why don't you as Prince
what it's lie to wor with me?

Shit, my letter between j&l doesn't work. Time for a new eyboard :-(

EAVL Inc.

Apr 27, 2003, 10:51:55 AM4/27/03
"Jolene Davies" <Jolene....@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

I thought you were just tryin' to be ghetto. ;-)

The Upper Room with Joe Kelley

Apr 27, 2003, 1:29:04 PM4/27/03
>Hit! -- An Excerpt from Possessed: The Rise and Fall of Prince
>>
>>This article is an excerpt from Chapter 12 of Alex Hahn's book,
>>Possessed: The Rise and Fall of Prince, now available for discount
>>ordering on amazon.com and bn.com. Hahn's book covers Prince's entire
>>life and career, from his early years growing up in Minneapolis
>>through the recording of The Rainbow Children.

>Here's a rather funny excerpt:

>But Mosley had the boss’ ear, and he knew it. Several band members

>recall that Mosley exclaimed one day to his colleagues regarding
>Prince (who was not present): “I’m gonna shove black down that nigga’s
>throat if it kills me.” This declaration was a rallying cry to bring
>Prince back to his roots in African-American music.

Why are sensationalist comments often put out anonymously. Sure, this comment
would get attention by its nature. But who is to say it is true and why
anonymously. This has been a trend in journalism that needs to be shored up.

Joe Kelley
www.upperroomwithjoekelley.com

Xpertlover

Apr 27, 2003, 1:50:37 PM4/27/03
"Jolene Davies" <Jolene....@btopenworld.com> wrote in message news:<b8gped$ab4$1...@sparta.btinternet.com>...

> Shit, my letter between j&l doesn't work. Time for a new eyboard :-(

Doesn't wor, you mean.

JeePee

Apr 27, 2003, 3:26:19 PM4/27/03
On 27 Apr 2003 10:50:37 -0700, xpertlo...@hotmail.com (Xpertlover)
decided to surprise everyone by saying:

>"Jolene Davies" <Jolene....@btopenworld.com> wrote in message news:<b8gped$ab4$1...@sparta.btinternet.com>...
>
>> Shit, my letter between j&l doesn't work. Time for a new eyboard :-(
>
>Doesn't wor, you mean.

ROFL
--
JeePee

How can something you never had, and never will have, feel like you just lost it?
--
The difference between a terrorist attack, and military intervention is 48 hours advance notice.
In war the first victim is truth.

My Prince, Queen and Nirvana pages:
bootlegs, complete live overview and other stuff (last update 22-12-2002)
http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/jp.pluijgers/main.html
(May be partially unavailable due to upload problems)
Posted by news://news.nb.nu

shutit

Apr 27, 2003, 4:20:17 PM4/27/03
Money making crap.

"JeePee" <jp.plu...@NOSPAMquicknet.nl> wrote in message

PurpleXone

Apr 27, 2003, 7:04:54 PM4/27/03

I remember that. I forgot what show it was on though.

I thought, "What an arrogant prick. He won't be around for long." 8-)

PurpleXone - Welcome to the Xone
http://purplexone.netfirms.com
(to reply, get the "funk" out)

Bart Van Hemelen

May 1, 2003, 7:17:52 AM5/1/03
In the dim and distant past on 27 Apr 2003 17:29:04 GMT, it was
rumoured that eastw...@aol.com (The Upper Room with Joe Kelley)
spake thus on the subject of "Re: Coming soon: Uptown # 57" in
alt.music.prince:

>>Hit! -- An Excerpt from Possessed: The Rise and Fall of Prince

Joe, it's called litigation, that's why. The way it is said above
means it will be impossible to sue anyone: neither the anonymous band
members nor Mosley, since he can deny saying it. It wouldn't be
impossible that Mosley has confirmed saying this OFF THE RECORD,
and/or that there actually were several band members who quoted him as
saying so.

The above is not a great solution to the problem, but it's a better
one than keeping it covered up.

. .

May 1, 2003, 11:03:29 PM5/1/03
<<"He wanted other black artists to look at him as 'hard' and as
'street' as they were," studio engineer Michael Koppelman said. "I
remember he kept using the word 'hard.'">>

Prince's "hard" act didn't cut it because he was trying to be a homeboy
while wearing heels and makeup.

Prince's fey pretty boy image worked great in the 80s, but it wasn't so
great for the 90s.