Hey Hannigan -- The Real Story

lits...@hotmail.com

May 16, 2007, 2:56:46 PM5/16/07
Back in 1997, the undisputed king of Usenet kooks was John
Grubor. You can read about "Doctor" Grubor here:

http://www.killfile.org/~tskirvin/faqs/grubor.html

In a tradition to be honored by later kooks such as Emmett
Gulley and Chuck Lysaght, John would occasionally leave
threatening voicemail messages for his Usenet adversaries.
In May of 1997 Grubor left two such messages for Martin
Hannigan, who made audio files from them and posted them
to the web.

Here are those two messages:

http://www.wikiupload.com/download_page.php?id=146207
http://www.wikiupload.com/download_page.php?id=146203

For a laugh, someone took samples from the first message
and put them to music, creating a track called Hey Hannigan.
A low-quality (in more than one sense) Real Audio file of
the result was posted to the web in July of 1997.

Here is that Real Audio file:

http://www.wikiupload.com/download_page.php?id=146204

A considerably better (in audio quality, at least) MP3
version of the same track is here:

http://www.wikiupload.com/download_page.php?id=146205

(I'm pretty sure this particular version has never been
released before. I'm not sure where I got a copy.)

On April 11, 1998, in a bizarre twist to the story,
someone claimed on the Usenet newsgroup alt.music.prince
that Hey Hannigan was an "early demo version" of a Prince
track to be released on the upcoming Newpower Soul album
by Prince.

Despite the fact that Hey Hannigan sounds nothing like
anything Prince ever recorded, or would ever dream of
recording, the hoax caught on. To this day, ten years
later, the whole "Hey Hannigan" thing is still a running
joke on alt.music.prince and some Prince fan websites.

In February of this year, someone took samples from the
same Grubor voicemail message and mixed them with an
existing musical track (which I don't recognize), calling
the result "Hey Hannigan -- New 2007 version."

Here is that track:

http://www.mydatabus.com/public/newprincemusic/z/HeyHannigan2007.mp3

There you have it! That's the true history of Hey
Hannigan.

Message has been deleted