NIN at The Edge (Palo Alto, CA)

Daniel Takeo Arai

Mar 12, 1994, 4:01:00 AM3/12/94
I just got back from seeing NIN play at The Edge, a dance club in Palo Alto,
just outside of Stanford University. Thanks to whoever posted that they'd
be playing there!

From what I saw of descriptions of the other concerts (Helter Skelter and
The Oasis), this concert was pretty similar. The guy selling shirts there
said it was a spur of the moment thing, which I kind of believe, but the
staging was absolutely impressive!

Songs they played, in no particular order, and I'm probably leaving some out:
Pinion
Head Like a Hole
March of the Pigs
Suck
Wish
Terrible Lie
Sin
Reptile
Closer
The Only Time

The concert was about an hour. There's probably scads and scads of songs
I left out. Here's the notable moments (I assume you've heard most of these
songs live; in most cases they didn't differ horribly from the recorded
versions.):

In MotP, after the second piano break (Now doesn't it make you feel better,
the pigs have won tonight, they can all sleep soundly, etc.) Trent and Co.
played another verse! I couldn't hear the lyrics at all; the mikes weren't
too good, and it was one of the first songs so my ears hadn't adjusted,
plus I was right in front of the speakers at that point. Too bad.

Anyway, there were people trying to get on stage all night to stage dive,
and the security guys were throwing people back. So in the middle of one
of the songs, Trent said "I wish there weren't these fucking security guards
so people could actually stage dive." So he pulled this guy up on stage.
After that, the guards let the people dive. I thought that was pretty cool.

All during the show, Trent threw around his mike, and the stage hands were
always running up to set them up again and stuff. He was throwing bottles
of water out at the audience the whole night. One great moment, he said
"I don't understand it. Shit keeps breaking up here. Like this fucking
keyboard. So here's another song about fucking."

I was disappointed about a couple (very minor!) things. The first is that
it was so short. I was completely ready to go another 2 hours. The other
was that he didn't play Get Down, Make Love. The live version of that song
is one of my all-time NIN favorites.

If you find out about any more shows like this, I definitely suggest going
to see them! It'll definitely be worth the time. I had no idea I would
enjoy myself as much as I did!

Dan, NIN fan extrordinaire.

--
Daniel Arai | "If money disappeared, so would fear, anxiety
dan...@leland.stanford.edu | worry, toil, and sleepless nights."