Ditty Bops @ Crocodile Cafe, Seattle 3/10/05

smeenus

Mar 12, 2005, 2:35:31 AM3/12/05
They were actually the opening act, Tegan & Sara were the headliners. I
didn't know *anything* about T&S before the show, and unfortunately still
don't. By the time they took the stage it was late (I can't believe I'm
saying this, but I'm not a night person anymore) and it's a long way from
downtown Seattle to Everett, so I had to go.

It's been a *long* time (about 15 years) since I was at a show where I was
in such a minority, gender-wise. I'd say the crowd was 3 women to each male,
at
*least*, maybe as high as 4-1, and they were almost entirely there to see
Tegan &
Sara. My sister Paige went with me, & she overheard the girls behind us
saying something to the effect of "Let's see how they are" debating wheather
to stay for the Bops set or go back to the bar. I'd say that apprehension
was prevalent throughout the room.

Breaking with a long standing Rock & Roll tradition, the Bops started right
on time. Amanda, as usual, was dazzling. She had selected for tonights
festivities a very colorful '20's era costume replete with a flapper-style
feather cap, short skirt, a green velvet sarong and sheer white thigh-high
stockings w/lacy garters. Abby as usual was much more reserved, actually
wearing a broad red velvet tie, although in a nice feminine way. John (the
violin/lead guitar guy) was wearing a get-up that stopped just short of
being a goldish tuxedo. The guy who played stand-up bass was dressed kinda
regular.

Every other song, including the opener, was something *not* from their
eponymous debut album, I imagine in most cases they were new but in at least
1 instance the song predated that fabulous release, according to the girls.
The 1 thing *all* of the songs had in common is that they were *wonderful*.
Every person in that room cheered with all their might after every number,
even more so when Amanda did her Charleston-style dance bit during "Sister
Kate". Yeah, there were a *lot* of lesbians in the audience. I knew that
would be the case. I have no particular problem with that, hell I myself am
a lesbian trapped in...oh nevermind...

I don't have a setlist, and as previously stated I didn't know half the
songs anyway (I either knew the songs or I didn't. There weren't any songs I
only knew halfway, Hagrinas, so don't even go there...). Songs from their
album included (in their order on the album, not in which they were
performed):

Wishful Thinking
Ooh La La
Sister Kate
Pale Yellow
Short Stacks

If that seems like a short list, you're right. Just remember that a) they
played a lot of songs that weren't on the album, and b) they *were* the
opening act.

I talked to Amanda and Abby briefly after their set, I blathered like a
drooling fanboy about how I ordered the cd after 1 listen to 1 song on
Sirius, how I almost wore the album out before I even got it by playing the
songs on their website, & how I almost never even took the disc out of my
player for a month after I finally got it. Then I asked for and received
some *vital* information...the name of the gorgeous, haunting hidden track
that follows "Wake Up". It's called "In The Life You Wrote".

I wish I could've stayed for Tegan & Sara, but it was just too late and I
was just too tired. Sorta like right now. Good Night

Alan Tignanelli

Mar 12, 2005, 3:12:11 PM3/12/05
smeenus wrote:

> By the time they took the stage it was late (I can't believe I'm
> saying this, but I'm not a night person anymore) and it's a long way from
> downtown Seattle to Everett, so I had to go.

Pussy. Said the guy who missed a Keneally-BFD/Vai show because it started way too late for me (I
was actually in the venue and the doors hadn't opened almost an hour after the scheduled start time,
which was late for a rock show to begin with, plus it was a Friday night and, well, I fell asleep
once at a Foghat club show that was very late on a Friday night).

> maybe as high as 4-1,

Cool - a crowd of midget women! So you had a place to rest your beer - and even if they all stood
up, they wouldn't block your view.

> Breaking with a long standing Rock & Roll tradition, the Bops started right
> on time.

Corporate-rock sell-outs!

> Amanda, as usual, was dazzling. She had selected for tonights
> festivities a very colorful '20's era costume replete with a flapper-style
> feather cap, short skirt, a green velvet sarong and sheer white thigh-high
> stockings w/lacy garters. Abby as usual was much more reserved, actually
> wearing a broad red velvet tie, although in a nice feminine way. John (the
> violin/lead guitar guy) was wearing a get-up that stopped just short of
> being a goldish tuxedo. The guy who played stand-up bass was dressed kinda
> regular.

Dude, it's just kind of wrong that you noticed their attire in that much detail. I've had people
tell me how cool a shirt I'm wearing is and my only response is to go, "Huh?" Because I have no
frigging idea what shirt I'm wearing. Right now, at this very minute, my wife is back at a soccer
tournament my son competed in. I was in the room when she got dressed. I sat with her for 2 1/2
hours. I have no idea what shirt she's wearing - I know it's a T-shirt (I think it's a T-shirt),
and that's about as far as it gets.

> I have no particular problem with that, hell I myself am
> a lesbian trapped in...oh nevermind...

Nah, you just look like you have a lesbian trapped...nevermind! Said the fat guy.

> I talked to Amanda and Abby briefly after their set, I blathered like a
> drooling fanboy about how I ordered the cd after 1 listen to 1 song on
> Sirius, how I almost wore the album out before I even got it by playing the
> songs on their website, & how I almost never even took the disc out of my
> player for a month after I finally got it. Then I asked for and received
> some *vital* information...the name of the gorgeous, haunting hidden track
> that follows "Wake Up". It's called "In The Life You Wrote".

One of these days, I'm going to cave and buy this. I can just feel it.

> I wish I could've stayed for Tegan & Sara, but it was just too late and I
> was just too tired. Sorta like right now. Good Night

What? It's the middle of the afternoon! Get your lazy ass up!

Alan

smeenus

Mar 12, 2005, 6:09:38 PM3/12/05
"Alan Tignanelli" <aftSPAMTO...@tignanelli.com> wrote

> Cool - a crowd of midget women!

Har-dee har har. It is to laugh. :-) Actually there were a few hotties
there, including one that made Britney look like Dougie.

> So you had a place to rest your beer

Errr...I don't drink alcohol...(turns out if I start I can't stop)

> and even if they all stood up, they wouldn't block your view.

Actually *everyone* was standing up, it was either that or sit on the floor,
& I was most definitely blocking *their* view.

> Dude, it's just kind of wrong that you noticed their attire in that much
> detail. I've had people tell me how cool a shirt I'm wearing is and my
> only response is to go, "Huh?" Because I have no frigging idea what shirt
> I'm wearing.

Interesting you should say that, on our way back to Everett my sister & I
stopped at a Seattle institution, Le Ree-SHARDS (that's typed phoenetically,
of course, Ellen knows what I'm talkin about)...Anyway the same exact thing
happened to me, I was wearing the same shirt I had on in the photo I'm gonna
be posting a link to in a sec, a guy in line says "nice shirt" & for a sec I
couldn't figure out what the fuck he was talkin' about..

> Right now, at this very minute, my wife is back at a soccer tournament my
> son competed in. I was in the room when she got dressed. I sat with her
> for 2 1/2 hours. I have no idea what shirt she's wearing

Well, I can understant that, but if it was Britney, or the girl at the show
that made her look like Dougie, I'd bet you'd remember what she was wearing.
The reason I remember what they were wearing was that it was *way* out of
the ordinary (for most folkes anyway, maybe not for the Ditty Bops). I can
still remember what everyone in Jethro Tull was wearing at the greatest
concert of my life way back in '74, I remember what Mikey was wearing at
NEARfest (that silvery suit) but I have *no* recollection of what he had on
at the last clinic he put on down in Renton. See the diff?

>> I have no particular problem with that, hell I myself am a lesbian
>> trapped in...oh nevermind...
>
> Nah, you just look like you have a lesbian trapped...nevermind! Said the
> fat guy.

Alan always talks about himself like he's some kind of enormo-hippo sized
Fatty-Fat-Fat, and he *could* drop a few pounds, but he's not *that* fat,
and I have proof. Notice Alan (on the left) compared to me (on the right). I
look like I swallowed Alan. Or someone his size, seeing as there he is right
there:

http://tinyurl.com/56qd9

Come to think of it, I'm not entirely comfortable with the phrase "I
swallowed Alan". Strike that.

(Da9ve (center) thinks *he's* just hot shit standing there all trim and in
shape, well listen here, Bub, there's nothing right with *your* physique
that a few million milk shakes couldn't ruin...)

>> I talked to Amanda and Abby briefly after their set, I blathered like a
>> drooling fanboy about how I ordered the cd after 1 listen to 1 song on
>> Sirius, how I almost wore the album out before I even got it by playing
>> the songs on their website, & how I almost never even took the disc out
>> of my player for a month after I finally got it. Then I asked for and
>> received some *vital* information...the name of the gorgeous, haunting
>> hidden track that follows "Wake Up". It's called "In The Life You Wrote".
>
> One of these days, I'm going to cave and buy this. I can just feel it.

Do it. Do it right now. You'll thank me later. In fact if you get the same
treatment I got from Amazon, you'll thank me *much* later...

>> I wish I could've stayed for Tegan & Sara, but it was just too late and I
>> was just too tired. Sorta like right now. Good Night
>
> What? It's the middle of the afternoon! Get your lazy ass up!

Errr...I'm west coast, remember? 8^P
ftss

Alan Tignanelli

Mar 12, 2005, 7:15:01 PM3/12/05
smeenus wrote:

> Har-dee har har. It is to laugh. :-) Actually there were a few hotties
> there, including one that made Britney look like Dougie.

Well, if you bend her over, squint, and put your face right up next to her ass, she does kind of
resemble Dougie. Assuming you bend him over, squint, and hit yourself in the head with a frying pan.

> Interesting you should say that, on our way back to Everett my sister & I
> stopped at a Seattle institution, Le Ree-SHARDS (that's typed phoenetically,
> of course, Ellen knows what I'm talkin about)...Anyway the same exact thing
> happened to me, I was wearing the same shirt I had on in the photo I'm gonna
> be posting a link to in a sec, a guy in line says "nice shirt" & for a sec I
> couldn't figure out what the fuck he was talkin' about..

There have been several times that I've gone to Guitar Center wearing a shirt from my favorite
guitar store. And it's not GC. Funny, they don't seem to take too kindly to it.

> See the diff?

Yeah, but once every six to eight weeks, my wife will...oops, here she comes!

> Alan always talks about himself like he's some kind of enormo-hippo sized
> Fatty-Fat-Fat, and he *could* drop a few pounds, but he's not *that* fat,
> and I have proof. Notice Alan (on the left) compared to me (on the right). I
> look like I swallowed Alan. Or someone his size, seeing as there he is right
> there:

I've told people that my doctor has diagnosed me as fat. I've told people it takes an amazingly
small amount of food to keep me at this size. Possible side effect of some meds I've been taking.
And Biggie Cokes.

> Come to think of it, I'm not entirely comfortable with the phrase "I
> swallowed Alan". Strike that.

Too late, baby, too late. You can throw as many illegal pitches as you want the rest of your life,
but you'll never be known as Spitter again.

> (Da9ve (center) thinks *he's* just hot shit standing there all trim and in
> shape, well listen here, Bub, there's nothing right with *your* physique
> that a few million milk shakes couldn't ruin...)

A little leaning from the two of us and there'd be no evidence Da9ve was ever there.

> Do it. Do it right now. You'll thank me later. In fact if you get the same
> treatment I got from Amazon, you'll thank me *much* later...

Nah - Amazon likes me. They even sent me an insulated cup a few years ago. Of course, now that I
regularly avail myself of their free shipping, they give me status things like "all items in
stock...shipping estimated in two-three months you cheap bastard".

> Errr...I'm west coast, remember? 8^P

So it's early afternoon - get your lazy ass up!

Alan

Hagrinas Mivali

Mar 12, 2005, 7:39:18 PM3/12/05

Alan Tignanelli wrote:
> Dude, it's just kind of wrong that you noticed their attire in that
> much detail. I've had people tell me how cool a shirt I'm wearing is
> and my only response is to go, "Huh?" Because I have no frigging
> idea what shirt I'm wearing. Right now, at this very minute, my wife
> is back at a soccer tournament my son competed in. I was in the room
> when she got dressed. I sat with her for 2 1/2 hours. I have no
> idea what shirt she's wearing - I know it's a T-shirt (I think it's a
> T-shirt), and that's about as far as it gets.

Just out of curiosity, I decided not to look at my shirt. I thought real
hard. Perhaps some of my peripheral vision even kicked in. I was DAMN
close.

As for what my wife is wearing right now, I can rule out a few things, such
as her wedding dress or formal evening wear, but that's about it. I do think
I know what shirt my son is wearing today. I'll be right back...nope. Dead
wrong. But I think I know what he wore yesterday.

Hagrinas Mivali

Mar 12, 2005, 7:41:37 PM3/12/05

smeenus wrote:

> I talked to Amanda and Abby briefly after their set, I blathered like
> a drooling fanboy about how I ordered the cd after 1 listen to 1 song
> on Sirius, how I almost wore the album out before I even got it by
> playing the songs on their website, & how I almost never even took
> the disc out of my player for a month after I finally got it. Then I
> asked for and received some *vital* information...the name of the
> gorgeous, haunting hidden track that follows "Wake Up". It's called
> "In The Life You Wrote".

Did you ask them if they like Hamster Theatre?

da9ve

Mar 12, 2005, 10:27:40 PM3/12/05

>>>I have no particular problem with that, hell I myself am a lesbian
>>>trapped in...oh nevermind...
>>
>>Nah, you just look like you have a lesbian trapped...nevermind! Said the
>>fat guy.
>

> Alan always talks about himself like he's some kind of enormo-hippo sized
> Fatty-Fat-Fat, and he *could* drop a few pounds, but he's not *that* fat,
> and I have proof. Notice Alan (on the left) compared to me (on the right). I
> look like I swallowed Alan. Or someone his size, seeing as there he is right
> there:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/56qd9
>
> Come to think of it, I'm not entirely comfortable with the phrase "I
> swallowed Alan". Strike that.
>
> (Da9ve (center) thinks *he's* just hot shit standing there all trim and in
> shape, well listen here, Bub, there's nothing right with *your* physique
> that a few million milk shakes couldn't ruin...)
>
> ftss

I'm workin' on it, I'm workin' on it. Lately, I've been giving in to my
sweet tooth more often than not. Girl Scout Cookie time is here, and
I've got my case of thin mints. That, and the El Rodeo five minutes up
the road has some DAMN fine salsa, and I swear their fajitas quesadillas
just about make me want to get naked.

d9

da9ve

Mar 12, 2005, 10:40:22 PM3/12/05

smeenus wrote:

I wish now that the crowd at their Indy show hadn't been so intent on
talking to them. I was going to ask Amanda if they'd already done their
show in the Seattle area, or if it was still in the future ('cos I knew
you were going to see 'em, I just didn't know if it had already
happened), and then I was gonna tell them to look out for someone
answering your description and try to get them to flirt with you or
something. Or just to say that they'd heard about you and still decided
not to get a restraining order, or, oh, I dunno. But the Indy crowd was
very demanding of their attention, so I didn't try to get either of them
involved in a long conversation.

d9

smeenus

Mar 13, 2005, 2:25:04 AM3/13/05
"Alan Tignanelli" <aftSPAMTO...@tignanelli.com> wrote

> Well, if you bend her over, squint, and put your face right up next to her
> ass

That would cost me a *lot* of money. If it could be done at all, that is,
although my intuition tells me that she was very likely a stripper, or at
least should be with *that* body.

I'd pay it, too. Gladly.

> she does kind of resemble Dougie. Assuming you bend him over, squint, and
> hit yourself in the head with a frying pan.

You left out the phrase "about two million times"

> There have been several times that I've gone to Guitar Center wearing a
> shirt from my favorite guitar store. And it's not GC. Funny, they don't
> seem to take too kindly to it.

Well, if it makes ya feel any better, *I* do. That rocks...

> I've told people that my doctor has diagnosed me as fat.

I use a variation of that line quite often. It goes through a lot of
permutations, depending on the situation. Let's say for example that I've
just ordered at a fast-food place (something that, surprizingly enough, I
seldom do) and the pimply clerk squawks "You want fries with that?", I'll
respond "Yeah, my doctor tells me I'm not getting enough saturated fat". If
it gets a laugh (which it usually does, although I'm sure I get my fair
share of courtesy laughs) I'll add "Well, I didn't *say* he's a good
doctor". Of course the whole bit is stolen from "Let's Get Small" (My doctor
says I should take up smoking...he says I'm not getting enough *tar*).

> Too late, baby, too late. You can throw as many illegal pitches as you
> want the rest of your life, but you'll never be known as Spitter again.

I don't know wheather to laugh or cry...

> Nah - Amazon likes me. They even sent me an insulated cup a few years
> ago.

And you're just getting it now? See what I mean?

> shipping estimated in two-three months you cheap bastard

Why not just get the *premium* crunchy peanut butter, then?
ftss

smeenus

Mar 13, 2005, 5:22:22 AM3/13/05
"da9ve" <da9ve.s...@gmail.com> wrote

> I wish now that the crowd at their Indy show hadn't been so intent on
> talking to them. I was going to ask Amanda if they'd already done their
> show in the Seattle area, or if it was still in the future ('cos I knew
> you were going to see 'em, I just didn't know if it had already happened),
> and then I was gonna tell them to look out for someone answering your
> description and try to get them to flirt with you or something. Or just
> to say that they'd heard about you and still decided not to get a
> restraining order, or, oh, I dunno. But the Indy crowd was very demanding
> of their attention, so I didn't try to get either of them involved in a
> long conversation.

Any luck with the recording, sweetie?

Not that I'm impatient <tappity tappity tappity>
ftss

Doug Boucher

Mar 13, 2005, 9:15:39 AM3/13/05
"smeenus" <sme...@comREMOVEcast.net> wrote

> Har-dee har har. It is to laugh. :-) Actually there were a few hotties
> there, including one that made Britney look like Dougie.

Actually, I AM Britney. Well, Britney Peterson. I was a sales clerk at JC
Penny's until that fateful night when the truck hit me and I woke up covered
in my own shit (and that of several dozen chickens) and couldn't remember
who I was. Some sick bastard of a doctor fed me testosterone and a load of
Guinness and tacos, gave me a sex change operation (they were fresh out of
penises, so that's why I got stuck with this broken toothpick) and told me
my name was Doug Boucher. I only recently found out my true identity. I went
back to Penny's, looked around, and thought "You know, it sucks pretty much
the same either way, think I'll stay a Dougie." I'm much more spiritually
fulfilled now with this knowledge, and I'll never step out in front of a
chicken truck or make up a complete paragraph of utter horseshit off the top
of my head ever again.

So, tell us mroe about the lesbians!

Dougie
--
A Blog: http://eraserhead667.tblog.com
A Fucking Page: www.geocities.com/eraserhead667/obscenityday.html

Doug Boucher

Mar 13, 2005, 9:17:01 AM3/13/05
"Alan Tignanelli" <aftSPAMTO...@tignanelli.com> wrote

> > Har-dee har har. It is to laugh. :-) Actually there were a few hotties
> > there, including one that made Britney look like Dougie.
>
> Well, if you bend her over, squint, and put your face right up next to her
ass, she does kind of
> resemble Dougie. Assuming you bend him over, squint, and hit yourself in
the head with a frying pan.

I took yoga lessons so I could do that myself. Who needs Britney?

Bruce Anderson

Mar 13, 2005, 9:46:07 AM3/13/05
In article <fWXYd.15895$4k2....@fe2.columbus.rr.com>,
"Doug Boucher" <my...@isonfire.com> wrote:

> I'm much more spiritually
> fulfilled now with this knowledge, and I'll never step out in front of a
> chicken truck or make up a complete paragraph of utter horseshit off the top
> of my head ever again.

Liar! You told me you stepped out in front of a chicken truck twice last
night and it was wonderful!

> So, tell us mroe about the lesbians!

Tell me about the lesbians, George.

b.
--
"I'm going to open my own burger place. Satan Burger. We'll have all our
employees in black robes, sacrificing cows behind the counter. Fuck ketchup,

Doug Boucher

Mar 13, 2005, 10:11:55 AM3/13/05
"Bruce Anderson" <skl...@megchan.com> wrote

> > I'm much more spiritually
> > fulfilled now with this knowledge, and I'll never step out in front of a
> > chicken truck or make up a complete paragraph of utter horseshit off the
top
> > of my head ever again.
>
> Liar! You told me you stepped out in front of a chicken truck twice last
> night and it was wonderful!

I told you never to call me on this wall!

> > So, tell us mroe about the lesbians!
>
> Tell me about the lesbians, George.

Well see, when two women who look a lot like Alan and Smeenus love each
other very, very much...

Hagrinas Mivali

Mar 13, 2005, 10:39:45 AM3/13/05

smeenus wrote:
> "Alan Tignanelli" <aftSPAMTO...@tignanelli.com> wrote
>> Well, if you bend her over, squint, and put your face right up next
>> to her ass
>
> That would cost me a *lot* of money. If it could be done at all, that
> is, although my intuition tells me that she was very likely a
> stripper, or at least should be with *that* body.

I resent that. I'm not a stripper, despite my beautiful, sexy body. Just
for that, I'm not rubbing it all over you.

Alan Tignanelli

Mar 13, 2005, 11:57:46 AM3/13/05
Doug Boucher wrote:

> Well see, when two women who look a lot like Alan and Smeenus love each
> other very, very much...

Love? LOVE? Who said love had anything to do with it?

Alan

Alan Tignanelli

Mar 13, 2005, 11:59:16 AM3/13/05
Doug Boucher wrote:

> I took yoga lessons so I could do that myself. Who needs Britney?

A few years ago, the family-oriented amusement park near us tried a midway thing - magicians, etc.
One of the acts was a female contortionist. Yes, I admit, when she did the one thing that resulted
in her chin resting in her crotch, I wondered if she did that in her off time.

Alan

Doug Boucher

Mar 13, 2005, 12:59:03 PM3/13/05
"Alan Tignanelli" <aftSPAMTO...@tignanelli.com> wrote

> > Well see, when two women who look a lot like Alan and Smeenus love each
> > other very, very much...
>
> Love? LOVE? Who said love had anything to do with it?

Now see, you have to understand how my brain works. Now I have this picture
in my head of you and Smeenus (in comfortable shoes) dancing to Tina Turner
singing What's Love Got To Do With It, and you're reaching back to squeeze
his ass, and...I think I just went sterile thinking about this shit. Christ.

Off to scrub myself down with that shit they use to strip floors with,

Bruce Anderson

Mar 13, 2005, 9:07:16 PM3/13/05
In article <Hb%Yd.17236$4k2....@fe2.columbus.rr.com>,
"Doug Boucher" <my...@isonfire.com> wrote:

> "Alan Tignanelli" <aftSPAMTO...@tignanelli.com> wrote
>
> > > Well see, when two women who look a lot like Alan and Smeenus love each
> > > other very, very much...
> >
> > Love? LOVE? Who said love had anything to do with it?
>
> Now see, you have to understand how my brain works. Now I have this picture
> in my head of you and Smeenus (in comfortable shoes) dancing to Tina Turner
> singing What's Love Got To Do With It, and you're reaching back to squeeze
> his ass, and...I think I just went sterile thinking about this shit. Christ.
>
> Off to scrub myself down with that shit they use to strip floors with,
> Dougie

Whoa-a-oh, what's Doug got to do, got to do with it...

What's Doug, but a second-hand emotion?

Alan Tignanelli

Mar 13, 2005, 10:34:47 PM3/13/05
Bruce Anderson wrote:

> What's Doug, but a second-hand emotion?

You got it wrong - it's "What's Doug but a pumping hand with lotion?".

I hate it when people get the words wrong.

Alan

Bruce Anderson

Mar 14, 2005, 1:23:27 AM3/14/05
In article <39kf2lF...@individual.net>,
Alan Tignanelli <aftSPAMTO...@tignanelli.com> wrote:

You know, I always wondered what she was saying there.

I wish I were still wondering.

Doug Boucher

Mar 14, 2005, 7:49:19 AM3/14/05
"Alan Tignanelli" <aftSPAMTO...@tignanelli.com> wrote

> > What's Doug, but a second-hand emotion?
>
> You got it wrong - it's "What's Doug but a pumping hand with lotion?".

Nope, no lotion. Who's got time for that? Wild and free like the wind, baby.