It has happened again...

Marilyn Patton

Mar 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/28/98

This morning (one week before the concert) I opened the Dallas Morning
News and found this article:

LUIS MIGUEL CANCELS RESCHEDULED SHOW

Latin popster Luis Miguel's concert April 4 at Coca-Cola Starplex-- a
makeup date for his postponed Sept. 30 gig -- has been canceled because
of a scheduling conflict, a Starplex spokeswoman said.

The article then went on to tell people how to get refunds. A new
concert date was not listed, so I guess all of the Dallas and
surrounding area fans are just out of luck for this year. :(

Therefore, it looks like ALL THAT WAITING (since Sept) was for NADA,
ZIP, NOTHING!. This is very irritating. Like this has been a
RE-SCHEDULE for SEVERAL months ...didn't they know about any
"scheduling conflicts" at the time they set the date?? Sounds kinda
hokey to me. Also, only last week they were advertising his concert on
the English TV networks.

I love Luis Miguel just as much (maybe more) as everyone else on this
newsgroup, but 2 times of being excited and looking forward to his
concert only to be letdown both times is ridiculous. We are having
fantastic weather here now, so that can't be a reason. This is all a
real shame, too, because he has LOTS of very loyal fans in this area and
a huge latin audience. I, myself, have made ecstatic converts out of 3
of my frinds (Gringas). They have bought all his CD's and one listens
to him all day long in her their office. Two of them were (un)fortunate
enough to have had good-seat tickets for his performance, too.

Does Luismi have any influence in whether a concert is canceled or not,
or does his business manager just suck? I don't know, but I'd like to.
(Muchoinfo do you know the answer?) If it is the former, why couldn't
he make good on the first cancellation? He gave later concerts for the
other canceled dates in Florida and California. If it is the latter,
then someone needs to find a new occupation.

Only time will tell whether all these left-out and disregarded fans will
be as loyal next time. I will, but I can't speak for others. What's
the saying? Fool me once, shame on you....fool me twice, shame on me.

Extremely, extremely disappointed,
Marilyn

Ixtepec 01

Mar 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/28/98

Maybe their was not a enough tickets sold to cover the concert? I heard
Laredo, Texas once had this problem. Although I'm sure Laredo sold out it was
a small venue. He was schedule to perform for the Segundo Romance concert and
he canclled at the last minute (maybe a week before). The prometers sued him.
Ever since then I have never seen Laredo, Texas list for a concert. If you ever
want to see Luis Miguel again in Dallas hope to god that the promoters don't
sue him for promotion cost.

Sylvia

Mar 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/28/98

Hang in there Marilynn. Don't give up on Luis. Some things are out of his
hands. Good luck in future makeup concert dates. - Sylvia

Marilyn Patton

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

Ixtepec 01 wrote:

> Maybe their was not a enough tickets sold to cover the concert? I >heard Laredo, Texas once had this problem. Although I'm sure Laredo >sold out it was a small venue. He was schedule to perform for the >Segundo Romance concert and he canclled at the last minute (maybe a >week before).

So does that mean that he refuses to sing at the last minute because
there may be a few empty seats, rather than to keep his commitments
anyway? Did he sing only to sold-out audiences when he was 12-15 and
just starting out as a singer? I think not. Would he just absolutely
DIE of embarrassment if he sang to a less-than-sold-out crowd now? I
would hope that he is more professional than that. I myself have seen
(at his other concerts) MANY PEOPLE LINED UP buying their tickets AT THE
DOOR on the night of the concert, but those would not have been included
in a week-before tally if that's the condition for his performing. His
last concert at the Starplex sold out, I think. I didn't see ANY empty
seats, because I made it a point to look.

Whether it is a small audience or large, he should still make good on
his contracted performances. And please don't tell me he has no say in
the matter. He IS the boss, and he can INSIST on performing a make-up
date (which was accepted in good faith by his fans on the condition of
his illness the first time), if for nothing else so that he could
maintain the loyalty of his fans. And even if it ever did happen that he
didn't sell enough seats to cover the concert, at the price of his
tickets I would be most assured that he would make up the difference on
the larger audiences to which he plays (LA, Miami, etc.)

I'm only guessing in light of all that's happened that he won't return
to the Dallas-Ft. Worth area again. (It was a big topic on the radio
stations this morning.) And I'm really sad about that, because I know
how people love him here. I know all his other faithful fans will be
sad, too.

Sadly,
Marilyn

Ixtepec 01

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

Theirs a big difference in being loyal to fans, and not being able to do
something. If the concert was not sold out. The concert could be more expensive
to have that what it would take in. Therefore the Starplex in Dallas and other
investor who feel it may be a lost might pull their part of the shows finacing.
Leaving Luis Miguel to cancel the venue. I'm not sure this happen but it could
have. Also it may have been sold out in the past but since this is a resculded
concert some fans might not want to go. Most fans I know come from out of town,
and it may be diffcult to make another trip to Dallas.

David Gonzales

May 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/26/98

I didn't read the original post that this response was for, but I get
the gist of the message. Luis Miguel was supposed to sing here in
Santa Barbara back in September of last year. The event was to be held
at the beautiful Santa Barbara Bowl, a 6000 seat outdoor venue in the
foothills of Santa Barbara, CA. I was told by the Bowl manager that
the concert was cancelled because there wasn't a complete sellout of
seats for the show. Many, many fans were disappointed that the show
was cancelled. I felt at the time that the concert was very poorly
advertised, which led to the poor ticket sales. There was nothing in
the local newspapers or english speaking radio stations advertising
Luismi's phenomenal talents, thus the poor showing at the box office.
I agree that if a concert is announced, he should keep his
committments and perform, even to a less than capacity crowd.