My Agoura Hills review

Sheryl Klein

Apr 26, 2005, 7:26:14 PM4/26/05
Hi everyone, sorry I've been remiss and haven't been in here for quite
a while. I was at this concert and I am a new woman, and a better one
for it! There aren't enough adjectives in the English language to
describe my feelings for this man... Here it is...

Agoura Hills Review - April 24, 2005

Let me preface this by saying that this was my FIRST EVER Gordon
Lightfoot concert! And it was a magical night...

I got there with my husband, Gabe, and there were at least 100 anxious,
excited fans lined up outside waiting to get in. After a few minutes, I
had my first thrill when I spotted John & Susan Fowles walking up! It
was my first time meeting these lovely and warm people! Once inside, we
could see wall-to-wall tables set up, banquet-style, sideways from the
stage almost to the back wall, and several rows of chairs all around
the dining area for those who bought "standing room only" tickets.
Behind us was the upraised "balcony" where more diners sat, and in
front, the stage... the place where soon all the magic would happen.
The room was half-filled already and abuzz with talk. People were
sharing with their neighbors about how long they'd followed Gordon's
music, how many concerts of his they'd been to, and how excited they
were to be there. Someone said they were told by management there were
700 of us there! There wasn't a bad seat in the house. On either side
of the stage were two large video screens where, later, the concert
would be displayed concurrently.

Shortly after 9:15 p.m., an excited murmur ran through the crowd and
heads turned toward the stage as Mike Heffernan, Rick Haynes, Barry
Keane, and Terry Clements took their places. Mike looked fantastic,
Rick's cool new "do" (ponytail) suited him very nicely, Barry looked
terrific, and Terry, handsome as ever. We were all applauding and
shouting. Not a moment later, Gord sauntered up to the mic, the
applause got louder, people were shouting out, and excited shouts and
whistles rang out throughout the club. He wore (well-fitting, ladies!!)
black jeans and a short-sleeved black Hawaiian shirt with tan palm
trees, and black suspenders. He smiled at us, then turned around to
pick up his guitar. The applause didn't stop, even after the first few
bars of the first song, "Never Too Close." After a moment, we let
him play! He sang softly at first, but, you could hear every word. It
was like ambrosia to my soul. His sweet voice filled the club and my
heart swelled with joy. (I still haven't stopped smiling....). The band
was comfortable, relaxed, and, best of all, so was Gord. It was
apparent. No first-night nervousness here! Before the song ended, the
wild applause started, more whistling, and plenty of shouts. He went
right into "Don Quixote," which we heartily approved. His polished
guitar and tuners glinted brightly under the lights. I saw reflections
of light bounce off his guitar strings. I wondered if he'd "boiled"
them to make them so shiny!! (Those of you who don't understand this
little inside joke, ask John F. I'm sure he'll bring up the topic
thread! Next came "Minstrel of the Dawn." He made eye contact with
various people, nodding here and there as people called out. After
Minstrel, he said, "I guess you heard I was sick a while back..." and
went on to talk about how well he's healed up. "I have my bellybutton
back now!" Then he leaned over and in a quiet, confidential tone said,
"The doctor said it was hiding!" We all laughed, as did he. It was a
pleasure to see him so happy. He was radiant, if you can say that about
a man. Then, he began to play "In My Fashion." His voice was clear and
strong, even more so than the Live in Reno DVD (filmed back in 2000,
before his illness). Now, remember, I have never seen him live before
and since October of last year I have been able to acquire all of his
albums, thus hearing the gorgeous body of his work for the first time
only recently. I have watched Live in Reno over and over, and I
treasure it. But, in this live performance tonight, there was a
fullness, a richness to his voice that just blew me away, left me
palpitating in my seat, and smiling a dreamy smile the entire night. He
had lots of fun with the "rap" part and it seemed like he really
would have welcomed an answer to his question "Do I look like the
kind of guy...." I wanted to laugh out loud! The song ended and Gord
said, "I wrote this next song when I was going through some emotional
trauma... AGAIN!" (Laughter throughout the room.) "AGAIN!" he repeated,
smiling at us, as if joking with old friends. We all smiled and nodded,
knowing. Then he went into the sweetest rendition of "Harmony" I have
ever heard. I have listened to it many times on the new CD, but, the
way he sang it tonight, it was so sweet, yet mournful, I found myself
touching my heart. The person in front of me was closing his eyes and
swaying in time with the music. Everyone's eyes were on Gord, being
there with him. Mike seemed almost introspective, at times closing his
eyes, Terry watched Gord. Next, Gord said, "I think you'll like this
next ditty." (I think he said the word "ditty!") And he went on,
explaining that the song was about sailing etc. He smiled and then
began the (very soft) whistling beginning of "Ghosts of Cape Horn." If
he was relaxed at the beginning of the set, he was downright in his
element at this point. He owned the stage and he knew it. Everyone's
head was bobbing back and forth to this jaunty little tune. Shortly
into the song, he turned his head to the right and said, "Faster."
The tempo increased slightly. I believe after this song, as he was
introducing his next one, he suddenly said, "What *is* that sound?"
People shouted back, "The air conditioning!" There were cries of
"Turn it off!" But, being the consummate professional he is, he
leaned closer to the mic and softly said, "We'll play over it."
Next was "Rainy Day People," which set off a burst of applause and
shouts of "Yeahhhh!" (Oh, that was me!) It was a smoooooth performance.
" Triangle" came next (my 12-year-old's favorite song of his), which
made everyone smile and sway in their seats. I believe at this point,
he adjusted his capo (KAY-po -- thanks for explaining that to me,
Gord!) if I remember correctly, then he started "Cotton Jenny." (It was
either for this song or "Bitter Green" later on that he adjusted it,
explaining to us, "This is the only time I do this, folks.") After the
song was finished, Gord came up to the mic, looked around at all of us
and said, "I used to be a country singer." And then he grinned. We all
started to laugh, probably remembering "Country Hoedown." Then Gord
said loudly, "I Used To Be A Country Singer!" And we all laughed again,
"getting" the joke. He said the song was written by "Even Stevens,"
joking that they called themselves that because they split everything
down the middle. Then he began "I Used to Be a Country Singer," and
nailed it. Next came "Sundown," to tumultuous applause. He smiled, as
did Terry and Rick, at our excited response. Rick sang some of the
chorus as I read he did (last night?) without a mic, and at one time, I
saw Terry singing a bit, too. Some people starting clapping in time and
I wanted to tell them to Stop it!, but, after a few claps, they gave up
(thankfully). One woman to my left had her cigarette lighter on and was
waving it back and forth. Gord finished amid much more applause and
started to talk about his next song and how proud he was to have met
many of the people connected with this ship (shout-outs started as
everyone recognized what song this meant!) and that he was proud of the
song, and how successful it's been. We all laughed at this, as did
Gord, as he began "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald." Lots of
applause. No one made a sound as he sang his way through that moving,
emotional song. And with the band's bang-on performance, you could
practically smell the salt air and feel the waves pitching under you.
About halfway through the song, I suddenly saw with wonder and
amazement that about 20 years had been subtracted from Gord's
countenance. It seemed as if he had gone back in time and was reliving
the experiences that the song evokes. After wild applause, he intro'd
his next song by saying that many years back, he spent time in
Charleston and met a beautiful co-ed. We all laughed and smiled
knowingly, as did he! Then he began the most exquisite version of
"Spanish Moss," sung with all the passion and reminiscence of lost
love. I touched my heart again and sighed. He turned it into a medley
with "Shadows," at which time I realized, too late, that I had
forgotten to wear waterproof mascara. I wiped a tear from my eye, as
this is one of my most favorite songs of his, a beautiful, romantic,
and, to me, almost painful entreaty to a lover who has turned away. He
followed that up with "If You Could Read My Mind," at which time a
collective, "Ahhhhhhh!" went up from the audience and you could
hear people singing along softly, and many eyes closed. It was a
poignant moment. I felt that in some transcendental way, we had all
traveled back 35 years and each of us was reliving the sorrow of our
own lost love. There was LOTS of applause after this one. Then, Gord
went right into "All The Lovely Ladies." Up to this point, my
interpretation of this song had been only one way. However, as he
started singing so beautifully, I thought to myself, "My God, it's
a benediction!" I heard this song with ears anew and felt the entire
audience was blessed with this man's grace. I felt so lucky to be
there. There was much applause at the end and I could feel the emotions
in the air. He then began, "Baby Step Back" as if to pull us out of
the quiet mood we'd slipped into. Some people began to clap along.
Thankfully, after a few bars, they stopped. Then, he played "Bitter
Green." I think this might have been the song where he picked up his
12-string, but, as I'm not a guitar player and I have to rely on my
memory, I'm not positive. He followed that up with "On the High
Seas," another of my favorites from "Dream Street Rose." That CD
was actually the first one I bought last October and it's still my
favorite album. I can listen to it over and over... and I have!! In
fact, my 12-year-old wanted to borrow it and I said, "No way! I'll
get you your own!" So I ordered her her own copy!! About two or three
songs back, Gord had commented that, "Pretty soon we'll do the
Trilogy..." and, sure enough, at this point he went into a most
moving and bang-on version of "Canadian Railroad Trilogy." He had
so much passion in his voice I wanted to weep and smile at the same
time. He ended with a final flourish to HUGE applause, and then the
band got up and left the stage. Gord shook hands with a few (DAMN
LUCKY) fans sitting right next to the stage (We were seated about 25
feet from the stage, positioned just between Gord and Terry.) Then he
jauntily sauntered off stage with a spring in his step, holding his
guitar, and grinning a big Lightfoot grin - yes, THAT Lightfoot grin!
We were all shouting, whistling, calling out, applauding, and standing
up in ovation for the man who many have said changed their lives
through his music. After a short minute, the band filed back in and the
decibels in the room doubled as Gord strode back on stage to tremendous
applause. He was smiling and nodding at us, looking here and there,
making eye contact with people in varying parts of the audience,
seeming to thank them by nodding. His encore performance was "Old
Dan's Records." He was energized and he and the band were all smiling
when they finally strode off the stage. We gave another thundering
ovation, more shouts and whistles, but, eventually gave up hope of a
second encore when the club lights went up and the piped-in music
returned. The moment was over, yet the magic lingered on... All I can
say is that it was more than I dreamed it would be, and all that I'd
hoped for. I am one happy girl. I've just experienced 81 minutes of
perfect bliss....

TwoSi...@aol.com

Apr 26, 2005, 7:50:05 PM4/26/05
Great Review Sheryl!!!!! Thanks
Bill

plumbguru2

Apr 26, 2005, 8:41:43 PM4/26/05
On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 16:26:14 -0700, Sheryl Klein wrote
(in article <1114557974....@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>):

> I was at this concert and I am a new woman, and a better one
> for it! There aren't enough adjectives in the English language to
> describe my feelings for this man...

Well I think you did pretty well finding those adjectives. One of the most
moving reviews of a Lightfoot concert I've ever had the pleasure to read!!

Doug

"When love is true.....there is no truer occupation"

Cathy Cowette

Apr 26, 2005, 8:43:49 PM4/26/05
Sheryl, I've been in this group for several years, and I have to say... this
has to be the best review I have EVER read! I could feel your excitement,
and it took me back to the time I saw him in Keene NH, after not seeing him
for 27 years, so it was like a first to me, and I was every bit as excited
as you were! Thanks so much for sharing this with us.

Cathy
http://www.cathycowette.com

"Sheryl Klein" <Sher...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

Ed Mullen

Apr 26, 2005, 8:57:59 PM4/26/05
Sheryl Klein wrote:
> Hi everyone, sorry I've been remiss and haven't been in here for quite
> a while. I was at this concert and I am a new woman, and a better one
> for it! There aren't enough adjectives in the English language to
> describe my feelings for this man... Here it is...
>
> Agoura Hills Review - April 24, 2005

Utterly awesome! Most amazing and heartfelt review. Thank you, Sheryl.
I'm going to see him in two days and my anticipation level just
ratcheted up a thousand percent.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Derek

Apr 26, 2005, 9:53:28 PM4/26/05
I don't know what else to say, except that this is one of most eloquent,
exquisite, and movingly beautiful reviews I've ever read. Thank you,
Sheryl.
Derek

Blair Barondes

Apr 26, 2005, 10:18:55 PM4/26/05
Wow, I think I was there, although I couldn't have been since I was here in
Northampton! Thanks, Sheryl, you get the Pulitzer.
-Blair

Sheryl Klein

Apr 26, 2005, 11:01:01 PM4/26/05
Thanks, everyone. It was truly a work of love for Gord and his music,
and us, his fans. I'm going again to see him Saturday night in Vegas,
and I'm sure it will, again, be a magical night!!! I have to remember
to thank John & Susan Fowles for EVERYTHING! And Susan for writing
down the set list for me, as I was too busy taking in every nuance for
my memory to last me the rest of my life... God bless Gord.

Sheryl

Peter T.

Apr 27, 2005, 3:03:16 AM4/27/05

Sheryl That was a very moving and eloquent review. You have done
yourself proud. I hope this is the first of many more concerts, and
reviews, that you will attend but I have to warn you that it will take a
lot to top this review.

--
Warmest Regards Peter T.

mcarl-at-cablespeed.com

Apr 27, 2005, 7:39:01 AM4/27/05
Wow! Great review... Thank you!

And all the others too. Sounds like they like being back in the
saddle...

Matt

Ron Jones

Apr 27, 2005, 1:43:49 PM4/27/05
"Sheryl Klein" <Sher...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:<1114557974....@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>...
Sheryl, that was just simply BEAUTIFUL. I wasn't there but after
reading your account, I was. Sincerely, Ron Jones.

Sheryl Klein

Apr 27, 2005, 2:54:29 PM4/27/05
It makes me really, REALLY happy that you all felt like you were there
-- that was my main objective. I wanted everyone to feel that -- the
atmosphere of the club, the fans' excitement, the upswelling of our
emotion as Gord moved from song to song, and our love for him and his
music throughout the evening. (My word, it sounds as if I'm
worshipping at the House of Gord!!! LOL!) I will *try* to do one for
my Sat. Vegas show... dunno if I can... or if you'd want to read one of
those "long reviews" again... thoughts?

Sheryl

Cathy Cowette

Apr 27, 2005, 5:23:47 PM4/27/05

"Sheryl Klein" <Sher...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

Oh no, the House of Gord is in Toronto... Massey Hall, and you haven't truly
worshipped until you've attended a Lightfoot concert there.

Cathy
http://www.cathycowette.com

Char

Apr 27, 2005, 6:18:18 PM4/27/05
you're right Cathy...and since he said in 2001 that he can't afford to buy
Massey and change the name to "House of Gord" I now propose we take up a
collection....
;)

"Cathy Cowette" <ca...@cathycowette.com> wrote in message

Sheryl Klein

Apr 27, 2005, 7:53:20 PM4/27/05
Where do I send my check?

Cathy Cowette

Apr 27, 2005, 7:58:00 PM4/27/05

"Char" <lightf...@rogers.com> wrote in message

> you're right Cathy...and since he said in 2001 that he can't afford to buy
> Massey and change the name to "House of Gord" I now propose we take up a
> collection....
> ;)

I have a 2 pound coffee can full of pennies, dimes and nickels.....

Cathy
http://www.cathycowette.com

drb...@sbcglobal.net

Apr 27, 2005, 9:50:13 PM4/27/05
in article 1114570861....@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com, Sheryl
Klein at Sher...@sbcglobal.net wrote on 4/26/05 10:01 PM:

I just got a chance to read your review. Wow! It was just great! I'll be at
Saturday night's Vegas show too. Hope to meet you there.

Donnie

Char

Apr 27, 2005, 10:55:53 PM4/27/05
you'll have to spell that "cheque" ...
lol

"Sheryl Klein" <Sher...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

Char

Apr 27, 2005, 10:55:16 PM4/27/05
and that's U.S. funds eh???

;)
"Cathy Cowette" <ca...@cathycowette.com> wrote in message

Derek

Apr 27, 2005, 11:53:24 PM4/27/05
Fine, Char...I'll send one of my special multi-coloUred CHEQUES to you.
I do hope you'll be able to recogniSe it. If you're not there, will
one of your neighboUrs pick it up?
;)
Derek

"I'd like to get married because I like the idea of a man being required
by law to sleep with me every night."
--Carrie Snow

Sheryl Klein

Apr 28, 2005, 4:12:13 AM4/28/05
Hey Donnie, a bunch of us are meeting three hours before the concert
for dinner right outside the doors to the showroom. Meet us there! We
won't be eating there, ha! but, we'll decide where to go once we meet
up. Hope to see you!

Sheryl

Char

Apr 28, 2005, 7:20:08 AM4/28/05
fer sure eh? my neighboUrs are great, they check for bad guys when I'm away
and will gladly pick up the cheqUe you send. ColoUr Gord and I "tickled
pink!"
;)

"Derek" <teleNoJunk...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

Peter T.

Apr 28, 2005, 9:06:44 AM4/28/05
Char wrote:
> fer sure eh? my neighboUrs are great, they check for bad guys when I'm away
> and will gladly pick up the cheqUe you send. ColoUr Gord and I "tickled
> pink!"
> ;)

Errr I'd be careful if I were you Char.
Those "special multi-coloUred CHEQUES" of Derek's come with a warning on
them which reads "Warning not intended for use as a life saving
flotation device" though I am told that they bounce really really well
As he should be in Las Vegas by now I think that this particularly
important :-)

Cathy Cowette

Apr 28, 2005, 5:57:51 PM4/28/05

> and that's U.S. funds eh???
> ;)

Yes, and it smells like coffee. LOL.

Cathy
http://www.cathycowette.com

Cathy Cowette

Apr 28, 2005, 6:00:00 PM4/28/05

"Derek" <teleNoJunk...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Fine, Char...I'll send one of my special multi-coloUred CHEQUES to you. I
> do hope you'll be able to recogniSe it. If you're not there, will one of
> your neighboUrs pick it up?
> ;)
> Derek

You know all aboot this, Derek. You're her favoUrite, you knoooo. Eh?

Cathy
http://www.cathycowette.com

Cathy Cowette

Apr 28, 2005, 6:00:59 PM4/28/05

> fer sure eh? my neighboUrs are great, they check for bad guys when I'm
> away
> and will gladly pick up the cheqUe you send. ColoUr Gord and I "tickled
> pink!"
> ;)

Why is it not "they checque for bad guys???"

Cathy
http://www.cathycowette.com

Char

Apr 28, 2005, 6:28:47 PM4/28/05
You're so silly! It's cuz they are TWO different things! lol

"Cathy Cowette" <ca...@cathycowette.com> wrote in message

Cathy Cowette

Apr 29, 2005, 5:29:45 PM4/29/05

> You're so silly! It's cuz they are TWO different things! lol

There's two different things on this side of the border too, but we manage
to spell them the same way.

Cathy
http://www.cathycowette.com

Char

Apr 29, 2005, 7:12:49 PM4/29/05
but different things need different names....or we'd all be called "Cathy" !
;)
lol
heck the Hawaiins say aloha for hello AND goodbye...they don't know if
they're comin' or goin' !
lol