InSoc 4th album: This is a public call for stuff of YOURS to put on the album. (repeat)

Kurt Harland

May 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/4/96

Hi, it's Kurt.

This is an official invitation for anyone and everyone to give me stuff of
yours to include on the next InSoc album. Brian Heess (br...@commline.com)
has been cool enough to provide us with an ftp to accept these submissions.

The long-awaited (by me, anyway...) InSoc 4th album will include up to 200
megabytes of computer data, depending on how much music is on the CD. I will
put some stuff on there, but much of it I want to fill with stuff that people
who like the band give me to put on there. If you have something in the
form of a PC computer file that you want to submit, here's how you do it.

- Zip your submission into one file, even if it ends up getting bigger in
the process. I want one file per submission. Do not uuencode. Don't try
to do this from an E-mail program.
- Establish an FTP connection to insoc.commline.com.
- Login anonymously.
- Enter the FTP directory, and then enter the InSoc directory.
- Upload your thing(s) to the site.

I will download and delete everything that gets put on there. If you
re-connect and find that your file is no longer there, that means I have it.
I'll eventually write to your e-mail address and tell you whether or not I'm
going to use it.

So, what to send? In order of my preference:
- Computer programs written by you
- Home-made Descent levels (Maybe in the shape of an InSoc logo?)
- Home-made DOOM levels with InSoc texture maps, sounds, and enemy graphics
- Text files
- Sounds
- Pictures
- Something else I haven't thought of

Here's some guidelines:

- Whatever you send, make sure it's YOURS, or no one's so that no one ever
gets mad at me for publishing copyrighted information. If you give me
something, and I use it, and I get sued, I will set the InSoc Internet
Terrorist Force on you forever with 8192-byte ping packets.

- Small is good. Someone recently sent me a program which plays a rather
lengthy 320x200x256 animation program written in ASSEMBLY language that is
only 23k. There is a VERY good chance that that thing will make it on the
album. I have nothing against pictures, but, since space is limited, I won't
be using a large number of them. If you do send pictures, I may process them
down to a smaller size and use them if I really like them. Sound is also
big, so it would have to be some pretty damn cool audio to make me devote the
space to it. Text, of course, is tiny, so think WORDS!

- I will give priority to programs. Little DOS screen-savers, small
animations, animated InSoc logos, etc. Think quirky and subversive. (and
small!)

- Pictures of yourself are perfectly acceptable. Obviously, if I get
zillions of pictures of people, I won't include all of them. But I'll pick a
few... Make them interesting or funny enough, and...

- Stuff with an InSoc theme will of course receive preferential treatment.
Especially stuff that uses the official InSoc logo, as seen on
http://acm-www.creighton.edu/~duke/insoc/
and on the back of the first InSoc album.

- What I DON'T want:
- Religious or political diatribes of any kind, no matter how
cleverly disguised. I'm smart. Don't bother trying to make it LOOK
like something about music. This is not a forum to propagate
opinions. We have UseNet for that.

- Anything which neither you nor I have permission to re-print!!

- Any Mac crap. I don't even want to hear about it. Come on. And that
goes double for Atari, Amiga, Commodore64, Sun, SGI, NeXT, or Timex
Sinclair. Get a real computer.

- Your music, your friend's music, your friend's band's music, your
boyfriend's music, your mom's music, some music you like, my music,
any music. I mean, think about it. There's the IUMA for unsigned
bands to publish their music on. I will most likely put on some music
of my own that is unavailable anywhere else, but not much. Sounds are
OK, though.

- Big things. I can't imagine ANYTHING that would impress or interest
me enough to use it that would be more than maybe 5 megabytes, and
that's REALLY pushing it. I repeat, I received a rather lengthy
animation program that was only 23k.

- Porn. I don't mind it myself, but I'm not interested in become a
publisher of it.

- Encoded files. I expect them to be zipped, but don't use UUdecode
or MIME or anything like that. Anyone sending anyone encoded with
BinHex will be flamed by the InSoc Internet Terrorist Force.

SO, get involved! Contribute to my album!

- Kurt Harland
( Trap Vector )

P.S. As an entirely seperate thing, anyone who wants to have their name in a
text file of names on the CD should send e-mail to vec...@well.com with a
short note that looks like this:

Hi, please put my name on the CD.
Joe Guy
j...@bogus.com
Dallas, TX.
"You're never fed 'til you run out of porters". (some quote of yours)

The MechKnight

May 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/4/96

I'm in the process of doing some graphic-animation stuff for a local
dance club (copy to VHS :( No opticals...) Anyways, I am definetly
adding some InSoc type graphics and logos. I intend on cutting the
sound (and cropping the huge files) and sending it to your FTP site.
I'll be sure to keep the files small.

Chris