harp advice

Wouter Maréchal

Feb 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/16/98

Every self-respecting music shop should have a couple of harptutors.
So Charlie Musselwhite, Steve Baker, Kent Cooper, Warren Ham, Tony Glover
they all published books on that item. Charlie McCoy wrote one, very
interesting cd included: Begining Country Harp, Omnibus Records & Tapes OM
23468, made in the UK.

Forget Huang harps, even their silvertone Deluxe are cheap Chinese rubbish.
Hohner has a lowpriced new one, the Big River Harp, as good as the well
known Marine Bands. Between the diatonics and chromatics is the Koch harp.
It is in fact a diatonic with slide. Find your way on that one, Harp dogs!

By the way... Little Walter Jacobs, Big Walter Horton, Sonny Boy Williamson
1 and 2, Big John Wrencher, Phil Whiggins, Florida Rock Bottom, Sonny Terry,
Deford Bailey, Jazz Gillum, Papa Lightfood, Billy Branch, Carey Bell, Slim
Harpo ... didn't need a book to play great harp

Don't forget to breath

Wouter

Ron

Feb 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/17/98

In article <6cadsd$gj1$1...@news1.skynet.be>, "Wouter Maréchal" <wouter....@skynet.be> wrote:
>Every self-respecting music shop should have a couple of harptutors.
>So Charlie Musselwhite, Steve Baker, Kent Cooper, Warren Ham, Tony Glover
>they all published books on that item. Charlie McCoy wrote one, very
>interesting cd included: Begining Country Harp, Omnibus Records & Tapes OM
>23468, made in the UK.

Good recommendations--also David Mckelvy's Instant Harmonica Pack is a very
good beginners book _especially_ for someone into country harp - Hal Leonard
Publishing (should be easily available)

>Forget Huang harps, even their silvertone Deluxe are cheap Chinese rubbish.
>Hohner has a lowpriced new one, the Big River Harp, as good as the well
>known Marine Bands. Between the diatonics and chromatics is the Koch harp.
>It is in fact a diatonic with slide. Find your way on that one, Harp dogs!

I disagree about the Huangs--I think they are a good cut above mere *cheap
Chinese rubbish* BUT I also think that the Big River harp is a really good
buy--and if the beginner can afford the difference I think they're a good way
to go. The Koch harp you mention is actually a good item for a country player
(I have one, use it, and didn't even think to mention it...good call, Wouter.

>By the way... Little Walter Jacobs, Big Walter Horton, Sonny Boy Williamson
>1 and 2, Big John Wrencher, Phil Whiggins, Florida Rock Bottom, Sonny Terry,
>Deford Bailey, Jazz Gillum, Papa Lightfood, Billy Branch, Carey Bell, Slim
>Harpo ... didn't need a book to play great harp

Also absolutely true but good books can sure save time that otherwise
might be spent needlessly making common mistakes, especially in an area that
might not have any harp tutors. That being said, though, if there _is_ a good
player around that doesn't usually teach--ask for a lesson or two (or more)
and at what price. It'll generally be a good investment and players can
usually use the work.

Ron

JohnStt

Feb 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/17/98

>Forget Huang harps, even their silvertone Deluxe are cheap Chinese rubbish.

.... as played by Norton Buffalo, Mark Ford, Stevie Wonder and others who
wouldn't know a good harp if it bit them on the leg ....

John Watts
<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/johnstt/todo.html">Harmonica Beginners "To Do"
List</A>

<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/dougpuls/dougpuls.html">Learn Blues Harmonica
with Doug Puls</A>

Adam Pritchard

Feb 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/18/98

In article <19980217121...@ladder03.news.aol.com>, JohnStt
<joh...@aol.com> writes

>>Forget Huang harps, even their silvertone Deluxe are cheap Chinese rubbish.

I've got to say that I thought that was true until I finally bought one
to see what all the fuss is about. I got a silvertone deluxe and think
that for the money it's an excellent little harp. I'll probably only
use it for practise or carrying around in my pocket, but I'll definately
be buying them again.

Adam at Harpin' On (http://www.harpinon.demon.co.uk)
--
Adam Pritchard