Help with College Essay - Topic is Dave Matthews

Aria

Jan 2, 2002, 3:59:52 PM1/2/02
Hey everyone,
I'm in the process of writing one of my college essays and I chose
Dave Matthews as my topic. Here's the prompt:

Identify an artist (from any of the arts) that has had a major impact
on the way we view the world and ourselves and explain why you think
that particular artist has been so significant.

If you all have any suggestions or can help me at all with this, I
would really appreciate it. And no Jill, I can't write about how
sexable he is...
;-)

Thanks in advance!
~*Aria*~

Huff

Jan 2, 2002, 4:10:48 PM1/2/02
You could always go with Don't Drink the Water and how it tells about the
"conquering" of America by treating the indians like shit. Maybe talk about
the evolution of the song as well. Weight of the World-->Leave Me
Praying-->DDTW. Just an idea....

Huff
"I got a sweater for Christmas . . . I wanted a screamer or a moaner"

http://hometown.aol.com/ukka96/myhomepage/profile.html
IM: ukka96

David E. Armstrong

Jan 2, 2002, 4:11:49 PM1/2/02
DDTW, Cry Freedom, and a few other songs, I can't remember...DDTW is
about the rule over the American Indians, or something to that effect.

I'm the DJ with no rapper?

Jan 2, 2002, 4:28:02 PM1/2/02
I thought it was about McDonalds taking over the Grand Canyon and eventually the
world.

--
Aliens suck, drugs are cool, and I wish I had a gun
- Jeff Gimondo

--==\~^~/==--
Grain of Salt Added For your consumption.

David E. Armstrong <dearm...@home.com> wrote in message

MJHamilton

Jan 2, 2002, 4:36:58 PM1/2/02
Well, dammit, don't ask me for help anymore....LOL!

Say what an impact he has had on bringing instruments not normally found in
a popular group these days and utilizing them to their highest.

Jill
(and he *IS* sexable......)

"Aria" <dmbgr...@aol.com> wrote in message

Marcus Holmes

Jan 2, 2002, 5:01:20 PM1/2/02
No, that's too much.

"I'm the DJ with no rapper?" <djsti...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Chris

Jan 2, 2002, 10:15:16 PM1/2/02
Who are "we" defined as? If it's just you, then definitely go for Dave, since
he obviously has affected how you view the world. But if this is more of a
"world-impact" question, then do someone like Bob Marley. Dave has had a small
impact so far, but that's taking into account the fact that DMB has really only
been "popular" for maybe 6, 7 years.

Chris
NP: Howie Day- Sorry, So Sorry
Impeach Bush to reply :)

hep kat

Jan 3, 2002, 1:21:35 AM1/3/02
Aria wrote:

> Identify an artist (from any of the arts) that has had a major impact
> on the way we view the world and ourselves and explain why you think
> that particular artist has been so significant.

Good luck. DMB hasn't had an impact on how we view the world and
ourselves IF the prompt is about the collective we. I would find out if
you could use a more personal view because that would be better. DMB may
be significant to you, but I don't know if the collective thinks so. No,
not the Borg.
Someone else posted about a paper not too long ago and some great ideas
were thrown about.

herman kat
--
"Bother!" said Pooh as he quietly hid Piglet's body away.

Heather

Jan 3, 2002, 1:52:10 AM1/3/02
>You could always go with Don't Drink the Water and how it tells about the
>"conquering" of America by treating the indians like shit.

I used this for a paper in American Character (an American Studies class). the
professor loved it, gave me an A, and took the lyrics I gave him for DDTW to
use the next semester. I used quotes from Storytellers to support my research.
Yeah, some research...there's this little band I like and....

~Heather :)

"Just love will open our eyes. Just love will put the hope in our minds."