free records! seeks artists

1 view

Tom

Nov 22, 1994, 11:21:34 PM11/22/94
ATTENTION CLOSET MUSICIANS!

if you would like to be a recording artist for the fastest growing record
label in the world, this is your chance. !free records! is seeking demo
tapes for inclusion in a series of tapes to be released and marketed to
the public FREE OF CHARGE! absolutely no strings are attached, in fact,
there is no catch, no hidden agenda, no contract and no obligation on the
part of the artist! this is a can't lose proposition for struggling
artists, established artists with side projects, completely bizarre
freaks who make completely unlistenable music, and jaded cynics fed up
with the corperate world of rock and roll.

all submissions will be considered based on their sound, authenticity,
uniqueness, humor and genral spunk. HOWEVER, everyone who submits a peice
of work WILL make it onto one of the compilations. in fact, nothing will
be turned down. !free records! lets the consumer decide what it wants. in
the future, however, especially inspired work will be inclued on split
cassette releases and perhaps, if god is willing, a flexi disc project.

all funding for !free records! comes from the wallet of the sole
proprietor. !free records! is, however, seeking partners who share a
similar vision for the de-comodification of music. negotiations are
underway and a new partner may be added to the firm soon.

!free records! will NEVER turn down gifts in kind of blank tapes,
prerecorded tapes (basically anything we can tape over), white and
colored photocopy paper, original art for unique tape packaging,
stickers, labels, bags, and photocopy privilages. contributors will not
be recognized in print anywhere unless the contributor directly asks to
be recognized. however, !free records! is not in the business of giving
"indie cred" to any artists and thusly will go to no major extremes to
promote the fact that you support free music. hell, we aren't even in
business at all! we will NOT allow our counter-culture revolution to be
co-opted. but, if we influece major labels to begin giving away their
music, we will be vindicated.

direct all demo tapes, questions, comments, advertising (possibilities
for !free records! to advertise in your mag), interview requests, and
donations to

!free records!
c/o Charlie Speight
130 North Street
Chapel Hill, NC 27514

(919) 967-8969

spe...@email.unc.edu

!fr!001 French, New Wave, and Pretentious cs compilation of short
(available in time for christmas) lived fantasy songs.

!fr!002 My Friend The Magic Microphone experimental and noisy.
(available in early january) essential for expecting
mothers.

!fr!003 What's Another Generation? indecipherible meanderings
(out before MLK Day!) from tortured souls.

*all products are free.
*act now!

Timber Wolf "A few people are trying to control radio, just
spe...@email.unc.edu like the government is trying to control the masses"
-Merle Haggard