How can I rotate a photo on Windows 10 despite its Explorer problems?

Timo Salmi

Nov 17, 2017, 7:11:31 AM11/17/17
It has been quite a long time since I last added an entirely new item to
my Assorted NT/2000/XP/.. CMD.EXE Script Tricks collection
http://bit.ly/RMGu5A even though I have made some updating of the
already existing items along the way. In November 2017 finally bought a
new laptop with a Windows 10 system. Of course some discrepancies and
annoying problems surfaced. This item rises from a problem I needed to
solve for myself. When one opens the Windows Explorer and right-clicks a
photo one gets the option to rotate the photo. In at least in XP and 7
the original photo gets rotated, but on my Windows 10 laptop only the
thumbnail appears rotated. The actual photo stays unchanged
("unrotated")! I needed a working solution. Given in:

http://www.netikka.net/tsneti/info/tscmd190.php

All the best, Timo

--
Prof. (emer.) Timo Salmi, Vaasa, Finland
https://www.netikka.net/tsneti/homepage.php

Timo Salmi

Nov 17, 2017, 7:13:59 AM11/17/17

npocmaka

Nov 17, 2017, 6:19:25 PM11/17/17
Check also this - https://github.com/npocmaka/batch.scripts/blob/master/hybrids/jscript/imageProcessing/rotateFlip.bat - I hope the help message is descriptive enough.The script can rotate or flip a photo using the built-in wia.image active-x objects.

JJ

Nov 19, 2017, 5:41:24 PM11/19/17
On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 14:11:29 +0200, Timo Salmi wrote:
> It has been quite a long time since I last added an entirely new item to
> my Assorted NT/2000/XP/.. CMD.EXE Script Tricks collection
> http://bit.ly/RMGu5A even though I have made some updating of the
> already existing items along the way. In November 2017 finally bought a
> new laptop with a Windows 10 system. Of course some discrepancies and
> annoying problems surfaced. This item rises from a problem I needed to
> solve for myself. When one opens the Windows Explorer and right-clicks a
> photo one gets the option to rotate the photo. In at least in XP and 7
> the original photo gets rotated, but on my Windows 10 laptop only the
> thumbnail appears rotated. The actual photo stays unchanged
> ("unrotated")! I needed a working solution. Given in:
>
> http://www.netikka.net/tsneti/info/tscmd190.php
>
> All the best, Timo

Shouldn't the batch file mentioned in that netikka.net web page already give
a working solution?

If you don't want the overblown batch file, you'll notice that it shows the
command line for the IrfanView for rotating an image. i.e. (warning long
text)

"...\i_view32.exe" "C:\_M\Torig2017102606.JPG" /jpg_rotate=(3,0,1,0,0,0,0,0) /cmdexit

That'll rotate the image 90 degrees clockwise. For the opposite direction
(anti clockwise), replace the first number in the parenthesis with `5`. e.g.

"...\i_view32.exe" "C:\_M\Torig2017102606.JPG" /jpg_rotate=(5,0,1,0,0,0,0,0) /cmdexit