David Lynch and Charlie Lutes

Shemp McGurk

Aug 28, 2003, 12:08:26 PM8/28/03
I wonder if Lynch's love of lesbians extended to Charlie?

http://www.geocities.com/charlieandhelen2/charlieandhelen0070.jpg

willytex

Aug 28, 2003, 12:44:51 PM8/28/03

Shemp McGurk wrote:
> I wonder if Lynch's love of lesbians extended to Charlie?
>
> http://www.geocities.com/charlieandhelen2/charlieandhelen0070.jpg

Shemp - Why do you wondor? Was Mr Lutes a lesbian?

BillyG.

Aug 28, 2003, 1:08:36 PM8/28/03

"Shemp McGurk" <shemp...@netscape.net> wrote in message

> I wonder if Lynch's love of lesbians extended to Charlie?
>
> http://www.geocities.com/charlieandhelen2/charlieandhelen0070.jpg

Indeed, that is a picture of David Lynch, Charlie and Nancy Cooke de
Herrera, author of "Beyond Gurus", she was presumably left sitting and
unable to visit with MMY after her visit to Maharishinagar in India, rumors
circulating she was CIA. She was a governor and ardent supporter, eventually
stopped doing the Siddhis. (Beyond Gurus pg 465)

See a picture of myself and Charlie at this link:
http://www.geocities.com/charlieandhelen3/charlieandhelen636.jpg

Uncle Tantra

Aug 28, 2003, 6:58:03 PM8/28/03
>Shemp - Why do you wondor? Was Mr Lutes a lesbian?

>Shemp - Why do you wondor? Was Mr Lutes a lesbian?

Who the fuck cares? I've always been a
closet lesbian, and proud of it...

pink fairy

Aug 28, 2003, 11:01:05 PM8/28/03

BillyG. <william...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> See a picture of myself and Charlie at this link:
> http://www.geocities.com/charlieandhelen3/charlieandhelen636.jpg

oh my gosh billyji you are totally gorgeous

pink fairy

John Manning

Aug 28, 2003, 11:17:49 PM8/28/03

See Bill, you have at least one admirer
here besides Pete, Shampoo and weird Willy!

Maybe you could get his/her phone number,
eh? :-)

pink fairy seems so sweet, like all good
fairies are.

Shemp McGurk

Aug 29, 2003, 12:02:55 AM8/29/03
tantr...@aol.com (Uncle Tantra) wrote in message news:<20030828185803...@mb-m13.aol.com>...

:) And have you had the pleasure of seeing that great "this bed is big
enough for the two of us" scene with Naomi Watts in "Mulholland
Drive"? In my opinion, beats the Susan Sarandon/Catherine Deneuve
lesbian scene from "The Hunger" (early '80s) as cinema's all-time best
lesbian scene.

Stu: time for you to weigh in here with your opinion, seeing as you
are our resident Hollywood professional...

Shemp McGurk

Aug 29, 2003, 12:06:10 AM8/29/03
"BillyG." <william...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:<oGq3b.7053$WO2....@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com>...
> "Shemp McGurk" <shemp...@netscape.net> wrote in message
> > I wonder if Lynch's love of lesbians extended to Charlie?
> >
> > http://www.geocities.com/charlieandhelen2/charlieandhelen0070.jpg
>
> Indeed, that is a picture of David Lynch, Charlie and Nancy Cooke de
> Herrera, author of "Beyond Gurus", she was presumably left sitting and
> unable to visit with MMY after her visit to Maharishinagar in India, rumors
> circulating she was CIA.

Outrageous that she was accused like that...

> She was a governor and ardent supporter, eventually
> stopped doing the Siddhis. (Beyond Gurus pg 465)

I know she said some good things about the siddhis in "Beyond Gurus"
(which I read about 2 years ago) but forgot that she stopped doing
them...too bad...did you ever meet her, Billy? If so, what were your
impressions of her? I quite liked her book (indeed, if memory serves
me right, I found out about the book as a result of a willytex posting
and went right out to the library and got a copy to read...)

> See a picture of myself and Charlie at this link:
> http://www.geocities.com/charlieandhelen3/charlieandhelen636.jpg

Always great to have an actual image to supplement the mental one we
have of people we are exposed to on the newsgroup!

BillyG.

Aug 29, 2003, 12:47:45 AM8/29/03

"pink fairy" <pink...@fairyland.com> wrote in message

I'd but that for a dollar!! :-)

BillyG.

Aug 29, 2003, 12:54:46 AM8/29/03

"Shemp McGurk" <shemp...@netscape.net> wrote in message

snip

> I know she said some good things about the siddhis in "Beyond Gurus"
> (which I read about 2 years ago) but forgot that she stopped doing
> them...too bad...did you ever meet her, Billy?

As it turned out, I was unable to attend her book signing at the LA library,
however, a friend of mine went in my stead and obtained her autograph for me
in my/her book! She made a nice comment, I'm sorry I missed her!

BillyG.

Aug 29, 2003, 1:00:40 AM8/29/03

"pink fairy" <pink...@fairyland.com> wrote in message

> oh my gosh billyji you are totally gorgeous
>
> pink fairy

Sweet of you to say, you little pink fairy! Hee, hee...I only wish I had
the integrity and masculine magetism that our dear Charlie had! He truly
was, a mans, man....not in the fairy sense, of course! :-)

willytex

Aug 29, 2003, 1:18:40 AM8/29/03

"Uncle Tantra" <tantr...@aol.com> wrote in message
> [...]

Uncle - You also said that tantra didn't have anything to do with sex. Go
figure.

willytex

Aug 29, 2003, 1:24:59 AM8/29/03
That's me (one with the silly grin) with Charlie, Helen and Jerry around
1964
http://willytex.home.texas.net/mmy64.jpg

willytex

Aug 29, 2003, 1:25:54 AM8/29/03
> See Bill, you have at least one admirer
> here besides Pete, Shampoo and weird Willy!
>
> Maybe you could get his/her phone number,
> eh? :-)
>
> pink fairy seems so sweet, like all good
> fairies are.

John - How would you know?

willytex

Aug 29, 2003, 1:27:38 AM8/29/03
> > oh my gosh billyji you are totally gorgeous

> Sweet of you to say, you little pink fairy! Hee, hee...I only wish I had

> the integrity and masculine magetism that our dear Charlie had! He truly
> was, a mans, man....not in the fairy sense, of course! :-)

Billy - And, a good moderate Republican too!

willytex

Aug 29, 2003, 1:43:27 AM8/29/03
Shemp McGurk wrote

> > I know she said some good things about the siddhis in "Beyond Gurus"
> > (which I read about 2 years ago) but forgot that she stopped doing
> > them...too bad...did you ever meet her, Billy?
>
> As it turned out, I was unable to attend her book signing at the LA
library,
> however, a friend of mine went in my stead and obtained her autograph for
me in my/her book! She made a nice comment, I'm sorry I missed her!

Shemp and Billy - Nancy is a great person - I met her in L.A. years ago at
Mother Olsen's. She and I were both friends of the Texas oilman, Tom Slick,
who founded the Mind Science Foundation here in San Antonio, Texas. Slick
was from Abilene, my home town.

Beyond Gurus
page 4.

Tom Slick
http://tinyurl.com/lk87

The Mind Science Foundation was created in 1958, as a 501.c.3 operating
foundation, in San Antonio, Texas, by a philanthropic oilman and
entrepreneur named Tom Slick. Mr. Slick and other community leaders believed
that the study of the human mind and its vast potential was the most
exciting frontier of scientific research, and that its development could
lead the human race to a new understanding of itself and the universe in
which it lives.
http://www.mindscience.org/

Uncle Tantra

Aug 29, 2003, 5:07:39 AM8/29/03
>> Nancy Cooke de
>> Herrera, author of "Beyond Gurus", she was presumably left sitting and
>> unable to visit with MMY after her visit to Maharishinagar in India, rumors
>> circulating she was CIA.

I met her once. I set up some TM courses
in Eugene, OR before I was a teacher and
she wound up being the teacher who came
up to teach them, so she could visit her
son Bill who was going to college there. The
only way she could be linked to the CIA is
if they sponsored a sale on Rodeo Drive.
She was your *classic* LA rich woman. :-)

But there was one interesting story that
came out of it all...I learned the background
story of the Beatles' song "Bungalow Bill."
She and her son were on the same
course in India that the Beatles were, and
right in the middle of it Nancy and Bill
decided to leave for a few days to go on a
tiger hunt. That episode became:

Hey, Bungalow Bill
What did you kill
Bungalow Bill?

He went out tiger hunting with his elephant and gun
In case of accidents he always took his mom
He's the all American bullet-headed saxon mother's son.
All the children sing

Hey Bungalow Bill
What did you kill
Bungalow Bill?

Deep in the jungle where the mighty tiger lies
Bill and his elephants were taken by surprise
So Captain Marvel zapped in right between the eyes
All the children sing

Hey, Bungalow Bill
What did you kill
Bungalow Bill?

The children asked him if to kill was not a sin
Not when he looked so fierce, his mother butted in
If looks could kill it would have been us instead of him
All the children sing

Hey, Bungalow Bill
What did you kill
Bungalow Bill?

BillyG.

Aug 29, 2003, 10:06:47 AM8/29/03

"willytex" <will...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Indeed, he even use to wear a Republican pendant!

BillyG.

Aug 29, 2003, 10:11:04 AM8/29/03

"Uncle Tantra" <tantr...@aol.com> wrote in message

Fascinating story Unc!

Pansy Bassingthwaighte

Aug 29, 2003, 10:18:17 AM8/29/03

> That's me (one with the silly grin) with Charlie, Helen and Jerry around
> 1964
> http://willytex.home.texas.net/mmy64.jpg

Yes but everyone, except the older guy, has a silly grin. Can I assume
you're the boy with the bangs? I notice the Maharishi is giving us the one
finger salute. That's not very nice, is it.

Pansy

BillyG.

Aug 29, 2003, 10:44:20 AM8/29/03

"Pansy Bassingthwaighte" <anon...@anonymous.com> wrote in message

That pic reminds me of the Humbolt days, we would give MMY about 20 Gitas to
sign before each lecture! Hee, hee! Which he did while he was lecturing!
Looks like Willytex was *sucking* up the vibes, like everybody else; why, I
otta.......!@@###!

Uncle Tantra

Aug 29, 2003, 11:46:40 AM8/29/03
>> Hey, Bungalow Bill
>> What did you kill
>> Bungalow Bill?
>
>Fascinating story Unc!

I suspect it is completely true because I
knew her son there in Eugene (his name
was Rick...I guess "Bill" was John Lennon's invention because it rhymed
better) and he *really* didn't like the fact
that his mother told that story to his college
friends. Supposedly the two of them took
a *huge* ribbing from all the people at
Rishikesh after returning to the course and
trying to impress people who'd been meditating
all day every day for weeks with photos of
the two of them sitting on elephants with
Jungle Jim hats on and other photos of the
two of them standing next to tigers they
had killed. The song was an indication of
how much that attempt to impress worked
on the Beatles... :-)

Pat

Aug 29, 2003, 12:01:23 PM8/29/03

"willytex" <will...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I wonder if Pink Fairy wears pink knickers.

Judy Stein

Aug 29, 2003, 1:17:40 PM8/29/03
"BillyG." <william...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:<Y9J3b.7150$lS4....@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com>...

> "Uncle Tantra" <tantr...@aol.com> wrote in message
<snip>

> > Hey, Bungalow Bill
> > What did you kill
> > Bungalow Bill?
>
> Fascinating story Unc!

Told in some detail in Herrera's book, complete with
photos.

Stu

Aug 29, 2003, 1:45:25 PM8/29/03
in article a2578468.03082...@posting.google.com, Shemp McGurk at
shemp...@netscape.net wrote on 8/28/03 9:02 PM:

Not only as a Hollywood professional but as a person with two degrees in
film, I would say in my professional opinion its the Naomi Watts in
"Mulholland Drive" scene, hands down. And I don't just say that because Mr.
Lynch is a fellow TMer.

I say it because Naomi clearly worked-out for the part.
--
~Stu

Shemp McGurk

Aug 29, 2003, 2:17:57 PM8/29/03
"willytex" <will...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<AX-dnebtZJ4...@texas.net>...

> That's me (one with the silly grin) with Charlie, Helen and Jerry around
> 1964

Are you sure of the year? It's pre-Beatles involvement with the
movement, willytex, do you date back to then?

Also, the whiteness of the beard suggests later than '64, no?

Shemp McGurk

Aug 29, 2003, 2:20:15 PM8/29/03
"willytex" <will...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<F_-cnbfuLb6...@texas.net>...

> Shemp McGurk wrote
> > > I know she said some good things about the siddhis in "Beyond Gurus"
> > > (which I read about 2 years ago) but forgot that she stopped doing
> > > them...too bad...did you ever meet her, Billy?
> >
> > As it turned out, I was unable to attend her book signing at the LA
> library,
> > however, a friend of mine went in my stead and obtained her autograph for
> me in my/her book! She made a nice comment, I'm sorry I missed her!
>
> Shemp and Billy - Nancy is a great person - I met her in L.A. years ago at
> Mother Olsen's. She and I were both friends of the Texas oilman, Tom Slick,
> who founded the Mind Science Foundation here in San Antonio, Texas. Slick
> was from Abilene, my home town.

...and "Slick" is his real, original name? Talk about one's name
being appropriate for one's business...

Judy Stein

Aug 29, 2003, 5:32:20 PM8/29/03
tantr...@aol.com (Uncle Tantra) wrote in message news:<20030829114640...@mb-m12.aol.com>...

> >> Hey, Bungalow Bill
> >> What did you kill
> >> Bungalow Bill?
> >
> >Fascinating story Unc!
>
> I suspect it is completely true

It certainly is what Herrera says in her book (only in
a bit more detail).

because I
> knew her son there in Eugene (his name
> was Rick...I guess "Bill" was John Lennon's invention because it rhymed
> better) and he *really* didn't like the fact
> that his mother told that story to his college
> friends. Supposedly the two of them took
> a *huge* ribbing from all the people at
> Rishikesh after returning to the course and
> trying to impress people who'd been meditating
> all day every day for weeks with photos of
> the two of them sitting on elephants with
> Jungle Jim hats on and other photos of the
> two of them standing next to tigers they
> had killed.

Yup, the photos are in her book.

willytex

Aug 30, 2003, 1:20:10 AM8/30/03
> Tom Slick,

>> ...and "Slick" is his real, original name?

Shemp - Yep - but apparently the Yeti was slicker than Slick.

> Talk about one's name being appropriate for one's business...

I think they named "oil" after him - he was a tall Texas oil millionaire,
fer sure. And, don't forget my old Pal Lowry Maverick.

Its a common joke that plumbers somtimes become urologists. I actually once
knew a heart surgeon named Dr. Lockhart. Go figure.

willytex

Aug 30, 2003, 1:26:10 AM8/30/03
> Hey, Bungalow Bill..

Uncle - Thats about the time that John Lennon made a big fool out of himself
at Rishikesh TTC. The tiger Rick Cook shot was a "man-eating" tiger who had
just mauled four visitors over in Corbin Park.

Apparently, John Lennon didn't get the whole story.

But, then again, John's friend was Magic Alex, a notorious liar, so go
figure.

willytex

Aug 30, 2003, 1:30:37 AM8/30/03
BillyG wrote
> Fascinating story Unc!

Billy - Nancy wasn't the only person turned away by MMY - Paul Horn also
tried to visit Maharishi, unanounced, and didn't get too far either.

Fact is, Maharishi didn't approve of Americanos mixing with the Indian TMer
over there. For years the Ashram at Rishikesh was available only to Indians,
no Americans alowed inside.

willytex

Aug 30, 2003, 1:49:16 AM8/30/03
> Hey, Bungalow Bill
> What did you kill
> Bungalow Bill?
>
> >Fascinating story Unc!
>
> I suspect it is completely true

Uncle - Can't pass up an opportunity to bash your old guru, eh, even
vicariously?

According to Nancy, John didn't get the full story. While it's true that
Rick killed a tiger, it wasn't to impress Mr Lennon.

There's nothing wrong with killing a man-eating tiger - get a grip, Dude!

Nobody, can just rent an elephant and bust into Corbin Park and kill an
endangered species, without permission from the authorities. But, why would
Rick and Nancy want to impress the Beatles?

You are supposed to read the book BEFORE you make your comments.

According to Nancy, Rick did everyone a favor by getting rid of the
killer-tiger before it cause any more damage.

> The song was an indication of how much
> that attempt to impress worked on the Beatles.

Apparently, John was very impressed with Rick - he wrote a song about him!

Yeah, I'm sure everyone at the TTC course was really impressed with John
Lennon and they way he treated his wife, Cynthia! Apparently, it was common
knowledge that John was secretly writing letters to Yoko, and shunning his
own wife at the time. On the plane back home, John admitted as much, and
then deserted his own family.

Some role model - and, the song is just gawdawful! It's embarrising to
listen to that kind of crap now. Especially when the real story of Bungalow
Bill is now known.

That is, except by the likes of you. You're still posting the same old
mis-information. Go figure.

willytex

Aug 30, 2003, 2:32:45 AM8/30/03
> > I suspect it is completely true
>
> It certainly is what Herrera says in her book

Not exactly.

> (only in a bit more detail).

She sure does! From reading Barry's post one might get the impression that
Nancy and her son left the program and the TTC in order to kill a rare
tiger, for no apparent reason, except to impress John Lennon.

Anyone who has read Nancy's book can see where the mis-information
originated - the pen of John Lennon, to whom anyone was fair game, up to and
including the humiliation of his own wife and son.

Nancy doesn't dispute the event - but she has a different story to tell
about the reason for Rick killing the tiger, which Barry left out.

Nancy and Rick were guests on a Safari, and while visiting Corbin Park, the
elephants the party were riding on were spooked by a crazed tiger in heat,
causing the elephants to stampede. Then the tiger attacked the elephant that
Nancy and Rick were riding. It was a clear case of self-defense, apparently.

Rick Cook and Avi both just got a lucky shot defending the party. When they
returned according to Nancy, John Lennon sneered in the presence of
Maharishi:

"But wouldn't you call that slightly life destructive?"

Nancy replied, "Well, it was the tiger or us."

According to Nancy, John Lennon didn't like Rick Cook for the sole reason
that Rick sported a "crewcut" haircut at the time. Typical of Lennon,
according Daniel Goldman, Lennon's biographer.

Bungalow Bill

"all American, bullet-headed, Saxon mother's son, who always dragged his mom
along..." Sounds to me like John Lennon was prejudiced and misinformed. For
sure, John Lennon had his own demons to write about.

Barry - Maybe you should read the book, the full story is on page 254-257 in
the 1993 Blue Dolphin edition of Beyond Gurus.

Judy - In a previous post you seemed to dislike Nancy's book based on a book
review by David Dwyer, and you posted your comments BEFORE you had read the
book.

You've had plenty of time read Nancy's book by now, so why the are you still
posting mis-information about what happened the Beatles Rishikesh TTC?

willytex

Aug 30, 2003, 2:41:44 AM8/30/03
> That's me (one with the silly grin) with Charlie,
> Helen and Jerry around 1964
http://willytex.home.texas.net/mmy64.jpg

> Yes but everyone, except the older guy, has a
> silly grin.

I guess it all depends on what you mean by silly grin. But, obviously you
don't even know who Charlie, Helen, and Jerry are, so what's your point?

You don't vote and you don't meditate, so what?

> Can I assume you're the boy with the bangs?

Are you soliciting?

> I notice the Maharishi is giving us

Oh! So, you noticed that?

> the one finger salute.

No, not to you, you weren't there - I don't recall anyone by the name of
Pansy signing the guest book that evening.

You just don't get it do you?

It only APPEARS to be a "one finger" salute that the "Maharishi" was giving.
For all you, know it could have been another secret mudra that the Maharsihi
was imparting only to me.

> That's not very nice, is it.

Depends on what you mean by nice, Pansy.

Shemp McGurk

Aug 30, 2003, 2:48:59 AM8/30/03
jst...@panix.com (Judy Stein) wrote in message news:<19b3c03e.03082...@posting.google.com>...

A very exclusive club, indeed: those few people on the planet who can
claim that a Beatles song was written about them:

Nancy Cooke's son ("Bungalow Bill")
Prudence Farrow ("Dear Prudence")
Peter Fonda ("She said, she said")
Julian Lennon ("Hey Jude")
Maharishi ("Fool on the hill" and "Sexy Sadie")

...I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of them now...

willytex

Aug 30, 2003, 2:48:57 AM8/30/03
> Looks like Willytex was *sucking* up
> the vibes, like everybody else;...

Billy - That's why I had that silly grin on my face!

I sucked up all the vibes and I couldn't help smiling when Helen gave
Maharishi some more flowers.

What was Helen thinking? That Mr Varma was some kind of a guru or something?
Go figure.

Maharishi was often mistaken for a flower salesman in those days, when he
and Lutes went through airports.

willytex

Aug 30, 2003, 3:26:37 AM8/30/03
> That's me (one with the silly grin) with
> Charlie, Helen and Jerry around 1964

> Are you sure of the year?

Shemp - I'm never certain of anything, but I think it was just before SIMS,
which was in 1965. The location was at the SRM building, which was down on
Santa Monica Blvd.

I didn't meet Maharishi until he came to L.A. in 1964, when I heard about
him from Pal, Paul Horn. Later, it seemed like every musician on the planet
was starting TM. My old Pal Rick Stanley is still meditating, last I heard.

Found on the Internet - Brian Jones with MMY:
http://willytex.home.texas.net/archives/mmy-jones.jpg

> It's pre-Beatles involvement...

Right - I remember because I was visiting another Saint at the time, a Sufi
Master called Sam, up in San Francisco, in late 1968, when some desciples
made a comment about "the Beatles denouncing the Maharishi" - later I
learned it wasn't true, and that Paul actualy has been meditaing all along.

JOHN: We were there four months, or George and I were. We lost 13 pounds,
and we looked a day older.

REPORTER: Did you -- do you think this man's on the level?

JOHN: I don't know what level he's on --

PAUL or GEORGE: He's on the level.

JOHN: -- but we had a nice holiday in India and came back rested to play
businessman.

http://homepages.tesco.net/~d.saunders/TMCafe/Beatles.htm

25 Aug 1967 The Beatles and partners travel to Bangor to attend the
Maharishi's teaching seminar.

27 Aug 1967 Brian Epstein is discovered dead in his London home.

11 Sep 1967 Filming starts on their self-directed film Magical Mystery Tour.

29 Sep 1967 John and George are guests on David Frost's TV show The Frost
Programme to discuss transcendental meditation. A follow-up appearance is
made on October 4.

7 Dec 1967 Apple Boutique is opened in London.

26 Dec 1967 First showing of film Magical Mystery Tour is on BBC in black &
white.

16 Feb 1968 John, George, Cynthia Lennon and Pattie Harrison arrive at
Rishikesh in India to study Transcendental Meditation under the Maharishi.

19 Feb 1968 Paul, Ringo, Jane Asher and Maureen Starkey fly to India.

1 Mar 1968 Unhappy Ringo and Maureen leave Rishikesh.

26 Mar 1968 Paul and Jane leave Rishikesh.

12 Apr 1968 John, George, Cynthia and Pattie leave Rishikesh after
lascivious rumours start circulating about the Maharishi.

http://www.birtall.co.uk/beatles-art/beatles-biography.htm

Uncle Tantra

Aug 30, 2003, 3:34:54 AM8/30/03
>> Hey, Bungalow Bill..
>
>Uncle - Thats about the time that John Lennon made a big fool out of himself
>at Rishikesh TTC. The tiger Rick Cook shot was a "man-eating" tiger who had
>just mauled four visitors over in Corbin Park.
>
>Apparently, John Lennon didn't get the whole story.
>
>But, then again, John's friend was Magic Alex, a notorious liar, so go
>figure.

There's definitely a liar in the bunch some-
where. :-) The story just related here from
Nancy's book (which I haven't read) does
NOT quite map to the story they told to me
personally back in 1968 or so. At *that*
time there was no mention of "having been
invited" on a safari (it was clear they'd
arranged for it themselves), there was no
mention of a "man-eating tiger" (they clearly
arranged to go on a tiger hunt) and there
was no mention of their elephant being attacked
by the tiger and thus shooting it being a
case of "self defense." So either they left
all that stuff out way back then or it got
"added to" the tiger story somewhere along
the way to make the story more palatable.

Uncle Tantra

Aug 30, 2003, 6:52:01 AM8/30/03
I posted this already but it seems to have disappeared into
that netherworld of lost posts that happens from time to time,
so here it is again:

> > Hey, Bungalow Bill..
>
> Uncle - Thats about the time that John Lennon made a big fool out of himself
> at Rishikesh TTC. The tiger Rick Cook shot was a "man-eating" tiger who had
> just mauled four visitors over in Corbin Park.
>
> Apparently, John Lennon didn't get the whole story.
>
> But, then again, John's friend was Magic Alex, a notorious liar, so go
> figure.

Since I've never read and will never read Nancy's book, suffice
it to say that there is a vast difference between the version
of the story that was related here recently from that book
and the one told to me in Eugene in 1968 or so.

At that time, it was clear from the story that they hadn't been
"invited" on a safari but had arranged it and paid for it them-
selves before going to TTC. It was equally clear that the entire
*purpose* of going on the safari was to hunt tigers. (It was
quite legal at the time.) There was no mention of a "man-eating"
tiger in the 1968 version of the story. There was no mention of
their elephant "being attacked" and having to kill the tiger out
of "self defense" in the 1968 story.

So, it would seem that *either* Nancy and Rick left these details
out of the story they told back in 1968, or that these details
found their way into the tale in subsequent years to make it a more
politically-correct and salable story. I personally have no idea;
I met Nancy only once, and was pretty seriously underwhelmed by her.
If I had to *guess* based on my impressions of her and her values in
that one meeting, I would vote for the book version of the story
having been somewhat...uh...enhanced, but that's all it would be,
a *guess*.

BillyG.

Aug 30, 2003, 10:40:07 AM8/30/03

"willytex" <will...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Snicker, snicker!!!

willytex

Aug 30, 2003, 11:21:03 AM8/30/03
> Apparently, John Lennon didn't get the whole story.

> But, then again, John's friend was Magic Alex, a
> notorious liar, so go figure.

>> Since I've never read and will never read Nancy's book,

Uncle - Never is a big word - you really like to paint with a large brush
don't you? You're reading parts of it here, hello!

Just goes to prove my point:

You read Surfing the Himalays by Zen Master Rama, probably fifty times, but
you haven't been within 1000 miles of a Maharishi Golden Dome in thirty
years, yet here you are, spouting off about Nancy's book, which you haven't
even read once. Go figure.

However, I note that you've apparently memorized the words to Lennon's dumb
song! : )

>> suffice it to say that there is a vast difference
>> between the version of the story that was related
>> here recently from that book and the one told to
>> me in Eugene in 1968 or so.

No, not a vast difference - you made that up. The only part that is
different was the claim made by yourself that Rick and Nancy went on the
tiger hunt in order to impress John Lennon.

> At that time, it was clear from the story that
> they hadn't been "invited" on a safari

What story? It is a fact that Rick and Nancy went to India to attend TTC at
Rishikesh and not to got on a tiger hunt. The invitation to go on the Safari
came up at the last minute, towards the end of the course, according to
Nancy's book.

> but had arranged it and paid for it them-

> selves before going to TTC. \

According to Nancy, the Safari was paid for by the Safari party, not
themselves.

> It was equally clear that the entire *purpose*
> of going on the safari was to hunt tigers.

D'oh! Rick was a photographer for National Geographic, not a hunter by
trade. But, that's beside the point - you don't go into a national forest in
India without a means of self defense, you know what I mean?

> (It was quite legal at the time.)

It's still legal to kill crazed, man-eating tigers when you get attacked,
Shoki.

> There was no mention of a "man-eating"
> tiger in the 1968 version of the story.

What story? All tigers are man-eating, they are carnivores, Sir. But Nancy
did not use that word in her book:

"...we heard a furious roar... a second later, the tiger broke in front and
like a streak of lightening leaped at us."

> There was no mention of their elephant "being
> attacked" and having to kill the tiger out
> of "self defense" in the 1968 story.

According to the book, they were attacked by a crazed tiger in heat.

Reference: pages 254-257 in the 1993 Blue Dolphin edition of Beyond Gurus.

> So, it would seem that *either* Nancy and Rick left
> these details out of the story they told back in 1968,

We only have your word that Nancy and Rick were in Oregon in 1968 and told
you a story.

Apparently, you are mistaken, the story remains in the new edition of
Nancy's book, just like in the first edition.

> or that these details found their way into the tale
> in subsequent years to make it a more politically-correct
> and salable story.

It hasn't been established that Nancy or Rick were even in Oregon in 1968.
But, there are two editions of her book and they both have the same story,
so I would go with the book version of the story.

> I personally have no idea;

Obviously.

> I met Nancy only once,

So, why didn't you meet Nancy at SIMS or at the SRM, since she was one of
the team leaders back then? In those days, everyone knew who Nancy was. You
said yourself that you worked for SIMS on the West Coast.

She didn't publish her book until 1992.

> and was pretty seriously
> underwhelmed by her.

Likewise - there's no Barry Wright, Zen Monk, mentioned in her book. : )

> If I had to *guess* based on my impressions
> of her and her values in that one meeting, I would
> vote for the book version of the story having been
> somewhat...uh...enhanced, but that's all it would be,
> a *guess*.

The only versions of the story we have are Nancy's book and John Lennon's
dumb song, which you posted. You can believe who you want to, Nancy or Magic
Alex. Based on what you and Judy have just posted, neither of you has even
read Nancy's book.

I think the real issue is why I'd even bother to dialog with the likes of
you when you can't even read the source material on anything you talk
about. So go figure. I guess the joke is on me.

Shemp McGurk

Aug 30, 2003, 1:23:43 PM8/30/03
"willytex" <will...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<qNidnQfxoNQ...@texas.net>...

> > That's me (one with the silly grin) with
> > Charlie, Helen and Jerry around 1964
>
> > Are you sure of the year?
>
> Shemp - I'm never certain of anything, but I think it was just before SIMS,
> which was in 1965. The location was at the SRM building, which was down on
> Santa Monica Blvd.
>
> I didn't meet Maharishi until he came to L.A. in 1964, when I heard about
> him from Pal, Paul Horn.

Whatever happend to (flute player?) Paul Horn? If I remember
correctly, he went to one of the early India courses and became a TM
teacher?

But then, years later, I saw an ad from the Swami Vishnu-Devananda
hatha yoga group that he was to appear at their Carribean island
ashram for some sort of symposium. Now, that doesn't necessarily mean
that Horn stopped meditating or became negative towards the movement,
but Vishnu-Devananda was one guru who went out of his way to be
particularly hostile and negative towards TM and Maharishi, so it
surprised me to see Horn involved with him in any way.

> Later, it seemed like every musician on the planet
> was starting TM. My old Pal Rick Stanley is still meditating, last I heard.

I used to love listenting to that TM album that Stanley
recorded...indeed, I knew all the songs.

But when he came to MIU in the late '70s and performed in the Field
House in front of the entire campus, he came off as a pompous
ass-hole. He played 4 or 5 songs that no one had ever heard before
and then the crowd got restless and asked him to perform the TM songs
from the album, which he refused to do. Acting like a successful rock
start (which he was anything but), he claimed he wanted to move on
because these were old songs. Well, if he was Elvis or Bob Dylan I
guess he could get away with something like that; the truth is, he was
ONLY known for those songs and it was, to say the least, extremely
off-putting of him to refuse to play them.

Shemp McGurk

Aug 30, 2003, 1:25:26 PM8/30/03
tantr...@aol.com (Uncle Tantra) wrote in message news:<20030830033454...@mb-m21.aol.com>...

> >> Hey, Bungalow Bill..
> >
> >Uncle - Thats about the time that John Lennon made a big fool out of himself
> >at Rishikesh TTC. The tiger Rick Cook shot was a "man-eating" tiger who had
> >just mauled four visitors over in Corbin Park.
> >
> >Apparently, John Lennon didn't get the whole story.
> >
> >But, then again, John's friend was Magic Alex, a notorious liar, so go
> >figure.
>
> There's definitely a liar in the bunch some-
> where. :-) The story just related here from
> Nancy's book (which I haven't read) does
> NOT quite map to the story they told to me
> personally back in 1968 or so.

Who is "they": the Beatles or the Movement? Or Nancy Cooke and family?

Shemp McGurk

Aug 30, 2003, 1:27:18 PM8/30/03
tantr...@aol.com (Uncle Tantra) wrote in message news:<75774cde.0308...@posting.google.com>...

> I posted this already but it seems to have disappeared into
> that netherworld of lost posts that happens from time to time,
> so here it is again:
>
> > > Hey, Bungalow Bill..
> >
> > Uncle - Thats about the time that John Lennon made a big fool out of himself
> > at Rishikesh TTC. The tiger Rick Cook shot was a "man-eating" tiger who had
> > just mauled four visitors over in Corbin Park.
> >
> > Apparently, John Lennon didn't get the whole story.
> >
> > But, then again, John's friend was Magic Alex, a notorious liar, so go
> > figure.
>
> Since I've never read and will never read Nancy's book,

curious...why not...do I detect some aversion to Nancy Cooke, Uncle Tantra?

Uncle Tantra

Aug 30, 2003, 4:49:29 PM8/30/03
>You read Surfing the Himalays by Zen Master Rama, probably fifty times, but
>you haven't been within 1000 miles of a Maharishi Golden Dome in thirty
>years, yet here you are, spouting off about Nancy's book, which you haven't
>even read once. Go figure.

Willy, you're an asshole but this deserves
an answer. I've only read Fred Lenz' book
once, because it sucked dead dogs. It
was *awful*. But I wasn't "pontificating"
about Nancy's book, merely telling the
story she and Rick told in 1968 compared
to the one synopsized here. Since there
is a difference in the two tales, I allow
others to draw their own conclusions as
to which is more factual.

There is absolutely nothing factual in
Surfing The Himalayas. :-)

>However, I note that you've apparently memorized the words to Lennon's dumb
>song! : )

Sorry. Got them from a Web page. Some
of us who work in computers actually know
how to use them... :-)

Uncle Tantra

Aug 30, 2003, 4:50:13 PM8/30/03
>Who is "they": the Beatles or the Movement? Or Nancy Cooke and family?

Nancy and Rick.

Uncle Tantra

Aug 30, 2003, 4:55:23 PM8/30/03
>> Since I've never read and will never read Nancy's book,
>
>curious...why not...do I detect some aversion to Nancy Cooke, Uncle Tantra?

I didn't particularly like the woman, but
that's not it. I don't read anything about
TM. Threw away all my books years ago
and see no reason to read anything more
about it other than here. I'm sure it's an
entertaining book...she was a very
entertaining Beverly Hills socialite...but I'm
just not interested in the musings of
Beverly Hills socialites. If MMY himself
wrote another book, which is not likely, I
wouldn't be interested in it, either.

BillyG.

Aug 30, 2003, 6:55:31 PM8/30/03

"Shemp McGurk" <shemp...@netscape.net> wrote in message

I met Paul Horn at the 6th Street center, the first center in LA. We
arranged a benefit concert he performed in, I think he was living in
Vancouver at the time, him and Emil Richards, (I believe), percussions. Lots
of people have left MMY, how many are left is anybodys guess!

Judy Stein

Aug 30, 2003, 8:10:04 PM8/30/03
"willytex" <will...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<PkidnaKbvPt...@texas.net>...
<snip>

> Based on what you and Judy have just posted, neither of you has even
> read Nancy's book.

I beg your pardon, I most certainly have read the book. I own
it, in fact.

willytex

Sep 3, 2003, 10:18:46 AM9/3/03
>> You read Surfing the Himalays by Zen Master Rama,
>> probably fifty times,

> Willy, you're an asshole...

Mr Wright - Are you soliciting, again?

> I've only read Fred Lenz' book
> once, because it sucked dead dogs.

So you suck dead dogs? I thought so. If you read any book by Lentz,
even once, you're a sucker.

How much did it cost you to take seminars by Rama for 14 years?