MED, OTHER: Greg Cooper died

TNT Angela

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
Dear Friends,

On Feb. 29 CFS-L list member Greg Cooper chose to take his own life. His last post to the list was on Feb. 28. In part, it read:

> At this point I have to say that I am completely discouraged
>myself. Any positive feedback would be appreciated.
> Greg Cooper San Diego CA

Sadly, he also endangered others lives by the way he chose to die. He was driving down a highway firing a gun. When cornered by the police, he turned the gun on himself.

The details are in an article published by The San Diego Tribune:
<http://www.uniontrib.com/news/utarchives/cgi/idoc.cgi?556009+unix++www.uniontrib.com..80+Union-Tribune+Union-Tribune+Library+Library++%28Cooper>

I'm sorry to be the bearer of such bad news but felt like everyone would want to know about it. Personally, I can understand Greg's decision to die. Now he can rest in peace.

TNT Angela

Anita Haviland

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00

>The details are in an article published by The San Diego Tribune:
><http://www.uniontrib.com/news/utarchives/cgi/idoc.cgi?556009+unix++www.uni
ontrib.com..80+Union-Tribune+Union-Tribune+Library+Library++%28Cooper>

>I'm sorry to be the bearer of such bad news but felt like everyone would
want to know about it. Personally, I can understand Greg's decision to
die. Now he can rest in peace.

>TNT Angela

Dear Angela,

I am sorry that you had to, also. That is very hard on you.

Greg's death takes a little bit of each of us with him. I am very sorrowful
for him and his family, especially his small daughter. We all hurt from this.

Please all of us, find someone to be with this evening or afternoon,
someone to share our hurt with, someone to tell us that we can each go one
more day, week, year.

Gentle hugs to us all,

Anita
With affection and hugs,

Anita mailto:<ahav...@together.net>
NorthIsle Border Terriers

ELN/kdurkin

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
Can't get into the San Diego Tribune website.
Can someone please summarize what happened
with Greg Cooper, please?

Thanks,
Kathy D.

TNT Angela

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
For those having trouble connecting to the San Diego Tribune article, here it is:

ROAD-RAGE SUICIDE WAS GETTING PSYCHIATRIC CARE
Joe Hughes and Pauline Repard
STAFF WRITERS

02-Mar-2000 Thursday

CARMEL VALLEY -- A 40-year-old Clairemont man who fatally shot himself in
the head when confronted by police Tuesday was under psychiatric care and
may have had acute medical problems, authorities have been told.

County Medical Examiner's Office investigator, Gregory Alan said Cooper was
a former electrical engineer, was disabled and had worked for the CBS
broadcasting network. He died at 6:45 p.m., about two hours after officers
faced his car with guns drawn.

"He probably thought that this was as good a day as any to start
something," said Jim Smith, a former housemate who saw Cooper become
increasingly ill and distressed last year.

"When I moved out, he was at the end of his rope. Everywhere he turned, it
was bad scenarios. He was on disability, which didn't pay for all his
medical bills. And he was worried about not being a good dad to his
daughter."

Apparent in a bout of road rage Tuesday afternoon, Cooper had fired at and
waved a handgun at motorists. Responding to 911 calls, police followed his
black Camaro until it stopped in a dirt lot at a construction site off
Black Mountain Road.

Police said three officers watched Cooper, who remained seated in his car.
Cooper made an obscene gesture toward them with his left hand, put a black
semiautomatic pistol to the right side of his head and pulled the trigger.
He is not known to have left any suicide note.

Police had pursued Cooper after receiving reports that a man fired several
rounds at a couple driving north on Interstate 5 at La Jolla Village Drive.
A bullet struck the taillight of the couple's Chevrolet Blazer, said police
Sgt. Dwight Reese.

The man continued to fire at the couple even as they used their cellular
telephone to call 911 for help.

Earlier, Cooper is believed to have cut off several cars on the freeway and
brandished a gun at a motorist on Fiesta Island after becoming upset at her
slow driving.

Police saw the Camaro and trailed it on state Route 56 to Black Mountain
Road about 4:45 p.m., when the Camaro went into a dirt lot, spun around and
faced arriving police units.

Within a minute, Cooper had shot himself, Reese said.

Police did not know why Cooper threatened people and then took his own
life.

"Our investigation will include interviews with relatives and others to
determine why this happened," Reese said.

In Cooper's car was a card for an appointment later this month at a
psychiatric facility in Vista. Officials there refused comment.

Police contacted Cooper's parents, who live in Texas, and they told
officers that they had no idea why their son acted the way he did.

A man who described himself as one of Cooper's close friends and a fellow
member of a Clairemont church said Cooper suffered from Gulf War syndrome,
contracted when he was working on television equipment that had been
returned to the United States from the war zone. He called Cooper a caring
and gentle man.

Smith agreed that Cooper linked his sudden illness to handling the TV
equipment, but that Cooper had never gotten a diagnosis to account for his
muscle and joint pains, migraines and extreme fatigue.

"He spent a lot of time on the Internet, trying to find out more about his
sickness," said Smith, a telephone service salesman who moved into Cooper's
house early in 1999, then moved out in late summer.

Cooper talked about himself for hours, saying he had graduated with honors
from Clairemont High School in 1977 but grew up in an abusive home with a
brother who turned outlaw biker. Smith said Cooper spoke of firing a
handgun outside his ex-wife's house years ago, for which he spent time in
county jail.

Police confiscated that gun, but Cooper's newest roommate told Smith that
Cooper obtained another handgun a week ago.

"He was always nice to me, but he had a lot of anger bottled up," Smith
said.

Neighbors on Charing Street in Clairemont, where Cooper lived, said he had
become severely depressed in recent months.

"His mood deepened after his wife divorced him and took his daughter away,"
said one neighbor who did not want to be identified. "He really loved his
daughter."

The ex-wife reportedly was on a sea cruise and could not be reached for
comment.

Another neighbor said police had been called to the residence last week.
Police refused to discuss any prior contacts with Cooper.

"I'm not surprised at all at what happened," said a man who lives across
the street and did not want to be identified. "Mr. Cooper had a lot of
medical problems."

Copyright Union-Tribune Publishing Co.

kcoleman

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
Hello Greg:

I know you can not read this on the puter; but I want you to know your
lifes' efforts the past couple years are appreciated! You were there
for people. Darn few will "stand up" as you did over the past three
years and be a source of inspiration, support, and council!

As a support group leader, you were "There" for others: you met their
needs to the best of your abilities. I can't think of a more giving way
to serve mankind than to open up ones self to the exposure, grief, and
need of fellow sufferers; and provide them with the benefits of: what
you learned; coping strategies; and emotional support. You were THERE
for THOSE people!

Many take those efforts: argue with them; get angry about them; some
ignore them: but even more rarely; far to few will ever say thank you.

So Greg; I want to take this opportunity to HONOUR YOUR SERVICE in
your local community. Thank you for your dedication. I know you did
not SERVE for thanks: but rather to alleviate the suffering you saw
in the people around yourself.

I also know that there are limits on how much we can absorb of other
peoples troubles without it begining to eat away at our own essence
and energy. My regret is you could not find the comfort your being so
deperately needed that day.

REST IN PEACE - -

I Remember:
Ken (MESS)

Jsch...@cs.com

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
I have to say I am shocked and saddened by this turn of events. Greg and I
swapped mail periodically, mostly about his progress on Ampligen. Any anger
he had was never evident in our correspondences.

He will be missed.

Jim

Robin Glen

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
Ken

Thank you for writing - it made me cry. But it expressed what many of us
feel about those on this list and in other support groups who work to help
the rest of us carry this burden.

Again, thanks

RobinMary

Helen

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
>So Greg; I want to take this opportunity to HONOUR YOUR SERVICE in
>your local community. Thank you for your dedication. I know you did
>not SERVE for thanks: but rather to alleviate the suffering you saw
>in the people around yourself.
>
>I also know that there are limits on how much we can absorb of other
>peoples troubles without it begining to eat away at our own essence
>and energy. My regret is you could not find the comfort your being so
>deperately needed that day.
>
>REST IN PEACE - -
>I Remember:
>Ken (MESS)

Hi Ken,

Thanks for that wonderful tribute to Greg. I must say the account of his death sounds totally uncharacteristic of the Greg we knew here, who was helpful and kind. I too feel sad and regret that he could not find the comfort and help he needed. It's a tragic loss for all of us and especially for his loved ones. I know, from firsthand experience, that a suicide in the family is a bitter legacy. It left a hole in my heart.

NEVER GIVE UP! <>< Helen <>< Wisconsin <>< USA
PWC 17 years *Maranatha* http://www.wels.net/
On rx & supplements I can work and jog--husband does housework
./.\. I am a Light-HouseKeeper :-)
>(O)<
.|.|. Psalm 54:4 "The Lord is the one who sustains me."
.l.l.
.l.l. In loving memory of PWC H.E.B.
------

Dashadow07

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
>Hello Greg:
>
>I know you can not read this on the puter; but I want you to know your
>lifes' efforts the past couple years are appreciated! You were there
>for people.

Thank you Ken. That was a nice thing that you did. We all feel so helpless
when something like this happens. You helped by acknowledging the good that
Greg had done.

I don't know if it can be done, or how it might be done or if it's a good or
feasible idea - but could some kind of a trust fund or college fund be set up
for Greg's daughter from the people here at the newsgroup? I know a lot of us
don't have much, but maybe something to let his daughter know that he was
appreciated here. I think in California certain colleges are free. And a
college fund would probably be too far out of reach. Just a thought. To do
something.

Sharon.

smithagnew

Mar 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/27/00
Ken, I just want you to know that I think your post was terrific-wonderful
wording and so full of compassion. Although I didn't know Greg, MY HEART
goes out to his family, as well as to all of you who did know him.

I also read Sharon's post on maybe setting up a trust fund or college fund
for his daughter (what age is she?). I think this is an EXCELLENT idea and
I am offering my assistance to anyone who might know how to go about this
sort of thing. I also know that many of us don't have a lot of money but
you know, just $1 or $2 from each of us in all the groups would surely add
up.

Another suggestion, if any of you knew Greg's family well enough to approach
them, how were the burial services/expenses handled? Did he have insurance,
a burial plan, burial plot, etc? Maybe our contributions could help out
with this? As Sharon said, "just a thought. To do something". I agree,
anything to show our appreciation of Greg.

Hugs to all of you in your loss. I grieve with you.

Carlene in Dallas

> I know you can not read this on the puter; but I want you to know your

> lifes' efforts the past couple years are appreciated! (SNIP) You were
there
> for people>

> As a support group leader, you were "There" for others: you met their
> needs to the best of your abilities. I can't think of a more giving way
> to serve mankind than to open up ones self to the exposure, grief, and
> need of fellow sufferers;

> (SNIP)

> Many take those efforts: argue with them; get angry about them; some
> ignore them: but even more rarely; far to few will ever say thank you.
>

> So Greg; I want to take this opportunity to HONOUR YOUR SERVICE in
> your local community. Thank you for your dedication. I know you did
> not SERVE for thanks: but rather to alleviate the suffering you saw
> in the people around yourself.
>
> I also know that there are limits on how much we can absorb of other

> peoples troubles without it beginning to eat away at our own essence

> and energy. My regret is you could not find the comfort your being so

> desperate needed that day.

Andrea Frankel

Mar 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/28/00
Angela, thank you for posting this. I didn't know Greg when I lived in
San Diego, but I exchanged email with him from time to time. He was
very good at hiding his anger, and most of his despair. He made alot of
positive contributions to the group, and I'll miss him.

One take-home lesson from this tragedy, I think, is that none of us
should hesitate to get psychiatric/psychological help in dealing with
this illness. It DOESN'T mean it's all in your head; anyone having to
deal with this damned disease has the potential for a great many
emotional problems as a result of it. Counselling can help us learn
coping skills. Also, my own experience has been that latent or mild
emotional problems, which were no big deal when we were healthy,
working, in relationships, and financially secure, can be greatly
exacerbated when we have to deal with the situation where we have none
of those things. This doesn't mean we are failures, it just means that
our lives have put too much stress on the natural "earthquake fault
lines" we all have in our psyches. Frankly, I think many of the
"normies", or Temporarily Able-Bodied healthy folks I know, would fall
apart if they had to deal with our kind of life.

CFS didn't kill Greg; his despair, depression, and anger did. Even with
all the burdens this illness places on us, it is possible to live a
relatively happy and serene life with the help of a good counsellor to
work out the emotional problems. And as Angela pointed out, Greg
endangered innocent people on the highways during his laste, fateful
drive. How I wish he had kept that counselling appointment before
taking action!

--

Andrea Frankel - and...@oro.net
(IFF "FNORD" appears - remove it from my email address to reply)

"...wake now! Discover that you are the song that the morning brings..."