On the use of "your".

Simon

Jan 28, 2004, 12:08:56 AM1/28/04
Hey folks,

Please excuse the cross-post, but I'm a bit concerned with the misuse
of "your" and "you're" in these groups.

Simply put, "your" means belonging to, or of, you.

"you're" is short for "you are".

Examples follow:

Hello, Jack, how was _your_ day?
_You're_ a sandwich short of a picnic, Cynthia.
_You're_ too stupid to use Linux, James.
_Your_ idiocy is astounding, Martha.
_Your_ religious beliefs are arguable.
_You're_ too close-minded to participate in this debate.

Have a great day.

Kadaitcha Man

Jan 28, 2004, 1:13:00 AM1/28/04
Simon wrote:

> Have a great day.

Fuck off and die, you paedophile cunt.

--
Your Free Insult: Thou trilling, vaunting, stupefying fruit bat swaggering gnome.

Scott Bicknell

Jan 28, 2004, 1:22:43 AM1/28/04
Simon wrote:

> You're too close-minded to participate in this debate.

Which indicates, of course, that you should back off, unless
you're too closed-minded to accept criticism, in which case you
should take your argument somewhere else.

--
Scott Bicknell, AC7ZZ
http://www.linux.org/

John Bailo

Jan 28, 2004, 2:34:33 AM1/28/04
Simon wrote:

You're your own asshole.

--
*W '04* <:> Open Source <:> Open Competition

Keyser Soze

Jan 28, 2004, 5:33:48 AM1/28/04
Kadaitcha Man <nos...@rainx.cjb.net> wrote:
>> Simon wrote:
>>
>>> Have a great day.
>>
>> Fuck off and die, you paedophile cunt.

ROFL

*COUGH* *CHOKE* *WHEEZE* *SPLUTTER*

--
Some Big Cunt

AÑÐ¥

Jan 28, 2004, 5:46:23 AM1/28/04
In news:82ca3381.04012...@posting.google.com,
Simon bent over and squelched this bit of shit out:
:: Hey folks,

Garn git yaself fucked!
ya fuckin limp wristed cock smoker!

General Protection Fault

Jan 28, 2004, 6:31:50 AM1/28/04
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Don't you mean "closed-minded"?

> Have a great day.

Get stuffed.

--
FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE i386
5:30AM up 68 days, 7:41, 2 users, load averages: 0.00, 0.03, 0.00

mlw

Jan 28, 2004, 7:13:47 AM1/28/04
Simon wrote:

LOL, yes I get ticked off by that sometimes as well, but there is more!!!

their vs there
their - of or relating to them, i.e. "their car."
there - in or at a place, i.e. "over there."

to, too, two
to - in the direction of, i.e. "go to the market."
too - in addition, i.e. "They can have that too."
two - the number two, i.e. "Two cars."

8 items or less
less - a smaller portion or to a smaller degree.
fewer - a smaller number of things.

8 items of fewer.

sdf

Jan 28, 2004, 7:22:29 AM1/28/04

"Kadaitcha Man" <nos...@rainx.cjb.net> wrote in message

> Simon wrote:
>
> > Have a great day.
>
> Fuck off and die, you paedophile cunt.

Your a fuckin' idiot.

D o t a u

Jan 28, 2004, 7:24:49 AM1/28/04
"Simon" <some_s...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Please excuse the cross-post, but I'm a bit concerned with the misuse
> of "your" and "you're" in these groups.

You need to get out more.

--
D o t A u

Winfag since 1981....
"My mum says I'm cool".

Keyser Soze

Jan 28, 2004, 7:32:40 AM1/28/04

Are you another paedophile cunt making advances?

--
Some Big Cunt

spi...@freenet.co.uk

Jan 28, 2004, 8:03:52 AM1/28/04
Simon <some_s...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hey folks,

> Please excuse the cross-post, but I'm a bit concerned with the misuse
> of "your" and "you're" in these groups.

Hey, don't stop there. What about the other crimes against the language like
"where, were and wear" or "there, their and they're".

They're just as grating. Some people just don't know where their dictionary
is. There's a load of posts like that on usenet.

mlw

Jan 28, 2004, 8:18:38 AM1/28/04
spi...@freenet.co.uk wrote:

It's funny, a lot of people I know, myself included, will sometimes write
"there" when I mean "their," not because I don't know the difference, but
because sometimes I just type the word as it "sounds" when I think it.

john

Jan 28, 2004, 8:49:39 AM1/28/04
sdf wrote:

Someone didn't listen in class. It's "You're a fuckin' idiot."

--
Powered by Mandrake Linux
Registered Linux user 337927 - http://counter.li.org/

the Entity Formerly Known as Jazz

Jan 28, 2004, 8:54:59 AM1/28/04
Simon wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> Please excuse the cross-post, but I'm a bit concerned with the misuse
> of "your" and "you're" in these groups.
>
> Simply put, "your" means belonging to, or of, you.
>
> "you're" is short for "you are".

And while we're at it, could we please end the misuse of

- "Windows" for "computer operating system"
- "Outlook Express" for "secure mail client"

and, worst of all,

- "Microsoft" for "computer software developers".
--
the Entity Formerly Known As Jazz

"That statement is either so deep it would take a lifetime to fully
comprehend every particle of its meaning, or it is a load of absolute
tosh. Which is it, I wonder?"
(Terry Pratchett, Hogfather)

Gazwad

Jan 28, 2004, 9:39:03 AM1/28/04
mlw wrote:

|| It's funny, a lot of people I know, myself included, will sometimes
|| write "there" when I mean "their," not because I don't know the
|| difference, but because sometimes I just type the word as it
|| "sounds" when I think it.

Ignorant cunt.

--
Gazwad

Freelance scientist and people tester.
Guardian: alt.os.windows-xp
Moderator: alt.warez.uk

Trollslayer@thecave

Jan 28, 2004, 10:03:47 AM1/28/04
Without thinking
Kadaitcha Man <nos...@rainx.cjb.net> spewed forth with the following drivel:

> Simon wrote:
>
>> Have a great day.
>
> Fuck off and die, you paedophile cunt.

YHBT

--
Buster

Gatekeeper: alt.os.windows-xp

relic

Jan 28, 2004, 10:32:56 AM1/28/04
the Entity Formerly Known as Jazz wrote:
> Simon wrote:
>
>> Hey folks,
>>
>> Please excuse the cross-post, but I'm a bit concerned with the misuse
>> of "your" and "you're" in these groups.
>>
>> Simply put, "your" means belonging to, or of, you.
>>
>> "you're" is short for "you are".
>>

> And while we're at it, could we please end the misuse of
>
> - "Windows" for "computer operating system"
> - "Outlook Express" for "secure mail client"
>
> and, worst of all,
>
> - "Microsoft" for "computer software developers".

Gotten stung by the truth?

--
- relic -
They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken.

relic

Jan 28, 2004, 10:33:35 AM1/28/04
^^^^^

"of" ??

Gazwad

Jan 28, 2004, 11:15:18 AM1/28/04
Barry OGrady wrote:

|| Tell us about his a fuckin' idiot.

LOL
You spell-laming fuckchop.

Tom B.

Jan 28, 2004, 1:05:24 PM1/28/04
Barry OGrady <god_fre...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Don't loose(!) you're(!) head over it. Alot(!) of usenet lusers are
>illiterate.

Its way two easy too loose ones head other thing's like this.

The Onion Man

Jan 28, 2004, 2:01:03 PM1/28/04
Simon sighed and said:

> Hey folks,
>
> Please excuse the cross-post, but I'm a bit concerned with the misuse
> of "your" and "you're" in these groups.

BALLS

--
Ian

Actually I think I prefer tomatoes now.

The Onion Man

Jan 28, 2004, 2:01:59 PM1/28/04

Sum things spelling chequers wont pick up.

The Ghost In The Machine

Jan 28, 2004, 4:00:43 PM1/28/04
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Simon
<some_s...@yahoo.com>
wrote
on 27 Jan 2004 21:08:56 -0800
<82ca3381.04012...@posting.google.com>:

Hmph.

http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame31.html

Followups.

#191, ewi...@earthlink.net
It's still legal to go .sigless.

Kadaitcha Man

Jan 28, 2004, 7:31:04 PM1/28/04
"Trollslayer@thecave" <Troll...@thecave.ru> wrote:

>Without thinking
>Kadaitcha Man <nos...@rainx.cjb.net> spewed forth with the following drivel:
>
>> Simon wrote:
>>
>>> Have a great day.
>>
>> Fuck off and die, you paedophile cunt.
>
>YHBT

Not so. I always, without fail, make a deliberate decision to either
reply or not. FROAD.

--
Your Free Insult: Thou disgracing, besticking, slothful haddock steeling furry tongue.

Conor

Jun 4, 2004, 8:49:03 PM6/4/04
relic wrote:
> mlw wrote:
>
>>Simon wrote:
>>

>>>Hey folks,
>>>
>>>Please excuse the cross-post, but I'm a bit concerned with the misuse
>>>of "your" and "you're" in these groups.
>>>
>>>Simply put, "your" means belonging to, or of, you.
>>>
>>>"you're" is short for "you are".

You're absolutely right, Howevever I've seen it done wrong on posters
in school,produced by English teachers! One never knows.