Bitcoin motto: Vires in Numeris or Vis in Numeris?

Sandro kensan

Apr 21, 2013, 6:42:14 PM4/21/13
i have bought a new golden plated coin. It a the famous Bitcoin coin. In
the front of the coin there is the motto "Vires in Numeris", "Strength
in Numbers". The motto is in latin language, is it correct?

Somebody suggest it is wrong and the correct motto is "Vis in numeris",
is it true?

This is the coin that I have buy:

http://www.kensan.it/articoli/Bitcoin_moneta.php

Thanks.
--
Sandro kensan www.kensan.it & www.qiqi.it geek site

B. T. Raven

Apr 21, 2013, 8:53:05 PM4/21/13
Die Sun Apr 21 2013 17:42:14 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time) Sandro
kensan <ken...@kensan.it> scripsit:

> Hi,
> i have bought a new golden plated coin. It a the famous Bitcoin coin. In
> the front of the coin there is the motto "Vires in Numeris", "Strength
> in Numbers". The motto is in latin language, is it correct?
>
> Somebody suggest it is wrong and the correct motto is "Vis in numeris",
> is it true?

Probably both are correct. Since the noun is partially defective in the
singular of its paradigm, it's probably better to go with the plural,
which usually translates 'force' in a neutral, non-political sense.
Plural forms are O vires!, vires, virium, viribus, vires, viribus.
Btw, what will the market say about bitcoin when the maximum of 21
million have been struck? I have a good motto for bitcoin mark II:
catena fide dignorum ad nihilum conexa = a chain of trust tied to
nothing. Fiat currencies have policemen to back them up when the chain
of trust is broken. Maybe bitcoin mark II will be solid gold.
Anyway it's an interesting experiment that has the potential to reveal a
lot about the nature of money. Who is John Galt? ;-)

Eduardus

Ed Cryer

Apr 22, 2013, 7:07:43 AM4/22/13
In the classical Latin writers "vires" often means military forces.

Ed

B. T. Raven

Apr 22, 2013, 11:20:16 PM4/22/13
Die Mon Apr 22 2013 06:07:43 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time) Ed Cryer
<e...@somewhere.in.the.uk> scripsit:
Vires also means vis genitalis but thats probably not relevant either
unless its hinting that someone had the cojones to think this up. There
may be versions of the physical bitcoin that say the same thing more
poetically ("vires numeris") and later someone will claim that these are
the only genuine ones. How about a secondary market (also crypto-based)
that provides for tamper-proof receipts that document a bet made on the
date that real-world police will take down the bitcoin servers?
They could be laser-etched poker chips with embedded flash memory
containing the crash date prediction and the date the prediction was
made. Then the payoff would be based on the accuracy of the prediction
and weighted according to the earliness of the prediction. Anyone want
to buy a chance?

I do like the idea of transfering money internationally with the lowest
possible transaction fees. Does any of you know how that works with
bitcoins? Would it be a flat fee or a percentage? Is there a minimum
amount? Could I give someone $1.50 in the U.S. and be sure that a
certain person in Europe could retrieve 1 Euro by providing nothing
other than a secret number? That would be very interesting if it's
possible. For now all we have are services like PayPal. E-Gold is
already history for the most part.

Eduardus

Sandro kensan

Apr 23, 2013, 4:17:19 AM4/23/13
Hi Eduardus,
I dont't speak english very well so I understand little of your
question. By the way the fee for the bitcoin transaction is very low and
also gratis. I have bought the coin at coinedbit for only 19.99 $ and I
have paied in bitcoin and not in dollars. I have paied 0.12 bitcoin
(btc) and the fee for the transaction was 0.0001 btc but I could have
pay nothing.

Whit 100 µBTC (0.1 mBTC) the transaction is make in ten minutes, with
zero fee the transaction can take more time. 100 µBTC was about 1 euro
cent or so.

Ed Cryer

Apr 23, 2013, 9:55:28 AM4/23/13
If Scotland breaks with the Union and goes independent, then I suggest
they adopt this as their currency.
That should bring it to the wall fairly quickly!

Ed

Ed Cryer

Apr 23, 2013, 4:12:42 PM4/23/13
On second thoughts I think that Scotland ought to develop its own
currency based on units of Jimmies, Bruces and Sporrans. Ten sporrans to
a bruce, and 15 jimmies to get back into England.

The current situation is that if you come down the west coast past Loch
Lomond then all traffic has to pass through central Glasgow; even if you
cross the Erskine Bridge. Whereas if you come down the eastern route
then you get funnelled into Stirling and then Bannockburn; and there
they force you to stop at the Bannockburn Memorial Centre and watch a
video of the 1314 battle.

Ed

B. T. Raven

Apr 24, 2013, 2:24:57 PM4/24/13
Die Tue Apr 23 2013 03:17:19 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time) Sandro
kensan <ken...@kensan.it> scripsit:
Thanks for the info. If you elect to transfer for free, how long can it
take? Can I buy one euro's worth of bitcoin with paypal, send it to you
for free, and then have you send it back to me for free? That would be
an experiment I would like to try.

Since this is all off-topic now, I will do penance by giving a Latin
version of the above:

Gratias tibi ago pro notitia. Si pecuniam in bitta numerizatam gratis
transferre elegeris, quantum temporis insumere potest? Mihine licet
pretio euri nummum par ad parem transmissum emere ope illius paypal, eum
tibi gratis mittere, exinde curare ut mihi pariter gratis remittas?
Idgenus experimentum mihi valde gratum et operae pretium....

Sandro kensan

Apr 24, 2013, 4:52:19 PM4/24/13
On 04/24/2013 08:24 PM, B. T. Raven wrote:

> Thanks for the info. If you elect to transfer for free, how long can it
> take?

First there are those stats:

http://blockchain.info/en/stats
No. of Transactions 66463
Total Miners Revenue $650,743.89
% earned from transaction fees 1.80%

Miners earned 12,000$ for transaction fee and the mean cost of one
transaction is 0.17 $

For the question it is the answer:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1ayv2r/important_bitcoin_users_must_decide_on_a_new/

If there is none miner that accept your fee than your transaction will
be waiting.

> Can I buy one euro's worth of bitcoin with paypal,

Paypal don't permit sell and buy bitcoins.

> send it to you
> for free, and then have you send it back to me for free? That would be
> an experiment I would like to try.

The miniumum fee is 0.0005 btc but when i bought a bitcoin coin I paid a
0.0001 fee but 1 btc was 240 $. My transaction was closed in ten minutes.

> Since this is all off-topic now, I will do penance by giving a Latin
> version of the above:
>
> Gratias tibi ago pro notitia. Si pecuniam in bitta numerizatam gratis
> transferre elegeris, quantum temporis insumere potest? Mihine licet
> pretio euri nummum par ad parem transmissum emere ope illius paypal, eum
> tibi gratis mittere, exinde curare ut mihi pariter gratis remittas?
> Idgenus experimentum mihi valde gratum et operae pretium....

Great! Excuse me for the OT. If you have other question please send me
an email or post your question in this forum:
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php

Is there a bitcoin related ng?

rudi...@gmail.com

Oct 20, 2013, 2:19:08 PM10/20/13
Il giorno lunedì 22 aprile 2013 00:42:14 UTC+2, Sandro kensan ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> i have bought a new golden plated coin. It a the famous Bitcoin coin. In
>
> the front of the coin there is the motto "Vires in Numeris", "Strength
>
> in Numbers". The motto is in latin language, is it correct?
>
> Somebody suggest it is wrong and the correct motto is "Vis in numeris",
>
> is it true?

Vis = Strength
Vires = Strengths

Johannes Patruus

Oct 20, 2013, 3:02:08 PM10/20/13

rmiz...@gmail.com

Nov 7, 2013, 9:09:51 PM11/7/13
Latin meaning can't be translated into an working language. Latin's purpose must remain purely spiritual. Learning the usage rules can be challenging, and allowing an application for translation of it may be unconstitutional. 11/7/13, RM.

John W Kennedy

Nov 7, 2013, 10:05:38 PM11/7/13
On 2013-11-08 02:09:51 +0000, rmiz...@gmail.com said:

> Latin meaning can't be translated into an working language. Latin's
> purpose must remain purely spiritual.

This explains why old translations of (e.g.) "Gilgamesh" use Latin
instead of English to translate all the pornographic passages.

--
John W Kennedy
"You can, if you wish, class all science-fiction together; but it is

zilver...@gmail.com

Nov 12, 2013, 3:20:24 PM11/12/13
Op maandag 22 april 2013 00:42:14 UTC+2 schreef Sandro kensan:
was it not "fortitudine et numero"

Haydn Rees

Nov 16, 2013, 2:10:39 PM11/16/13
On Friday, November 8, 2013 2:09:51 AM UTC, rmiz...@gmail.com wrote:
> Latin meaning can't be translated into an working language. Latin's purpose must remain purely spiritual. Learning the usage rules can be challenging, and allowing an application for translation of it may be unconstitutional. 11/7/13, RM.

This may be true of Classical Latin. You can do what you like with Vulgar Latin. Although it may not be a living language as in speakers of latin as a first language, creativity still takes place in it.

neferi...@gmail.com

Dec 6, 2013, 10:03:55 PM12/6/13
Fun-fact: the transaction-fee you pay while transferring bitcoins directly out of the installed app "wallet" goes into the next blockchain and is awarded to the person or pool or zombie-network that solves that block. So, in theory, despite the fact that the difficulty is exponential and thus it would be nigh impossible to solve ALL the blocks, all the "Bitcoin Society" had to do was cut the blocks in half, making then only half as hard to crack but also dealing out half as many bitcoins. And yes, they have this stuff all scheduled.

dobre...@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2013, 8:09:16 AM12/8/13

Ed Cryer

Dec 8, 2013, 9:59:33 AM12/8/13
dobre...@gmail.com wrote:
> luni, 22 aprilie 2013, 01:42:14 UTC+3, Sandro kensan a scris:
>> Hi,

>> Sandro kensan www.kensan.it & www.qiqi.it geek site

What language is this? "a scris"?
The websites end in ".it" but surely the Italian would be "ha scritto"?

Ed

John W Kennedy

Dec 8, 2013, 12:30:07 PM12/8/13
It could be Romanian, though Romanian is not a significant minority
language in Italy. (There is a small Istro-Romanian community, but I
can't determine whether "a scris" works in Istro-Romanian.) I suppose
it could also be one of the many semi-Italian languages of Italy -- I
don't have enough resources to check any of them.

Note that, while there is no such thing as a physical bitcoin, there is
a physical symbolic "bitcoin" (actually a container for a piece of
paper), and it does have "vires in numeris" on it.

--
John W Kennedy
"The first effect of not believing in God is to believe in anything...."

WOOX...@live.com.pt

Jan 24, 2014, 8:56:28 PM1/24/14
"Fiat currencies have policemen to back them up when the chain of trust is broken" When someone scams you or steals from you, be it bitcoins, dollars or chickens, the job of the police and legal system is to act against the scammer/robber, you're suggesting the police won't even try to investigate bitcoin scams and robberies, you're wrong.

"a chain of trust tied to nothing" That's very catchy but it's wrong too, people trust Bitcoin because no trust is required to protect the currency unlike what happens with most currencies, the trust is tied to something that has been tried and tested and works, cryptography, it's not by chance that secret services, banks and corporations adopt it to transmit and protect sensitive information that could be worth billions (or more) if it were to fall in the wrong hands.

mich...@gmail.com

Feb 18, 2014, 10:05:13 AM2/18/14
It IS Romanian. 100%.
Message has been deleted

fabulou...@gmail.com

Aug 23, 2014, 5:50:51 AM8/23/14
Police taking down bitcoin servers?! You have no idea what you are talking about. Do us a favor and stick to Latin, you seem to be knowledgeable about that at least.

baronnet...@gmail.com

Oct 23, 2014, 2:41:38 AM10/23/14
You're a faggot for even buying a bitcoin.

jedi....@gmail.com

Jun 23, 2016, 2:50:46 AM6/23/16
On Thursday, October 23, 2014 at 1:41:38 AM UTC-5, baronnet...@gmail.com wrote:
> You're a faggot for even buying a bitcoin.

Someone's salty. Tell that to the people that bought them and sat on them, now they're worth $590 (they were $730 last week though, rip).

kier...@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2017, 1:49:45 PM2/28/17
Update: $1,200

laurent.c...@gmail.com

Dec 1, 2017, 8:00:03 AM12/1/17
On Thursday, October 23, 2014 at 8:41:38 AM UTC+2, baronnet...@gmail.com wrote:
> You're a faggot for even buying a bitcoin.

10k

F F

Mar 30, 2021, 11:33:39 AM3/30/21
60K

Ryan Wilson

Apr 23, 2021, 5:09:01 PM4/23/21
On Monday, April 22, 2013 at 9:53:05 AM UTC+9, B. T. Raven wrote:
> Die Sun Apr 21 2013 17:42:14 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time) Sandro
> kensan <ken...@kensan.it> scripsit:
> Btw, what will the market say about bitcoin when the maximum of 21
> million have been struck? I have a good motto for bitcoin mark II:
> catena fide dignorum ad nihilum conexa = a chain of trust tied to
> nothing. Fiat currencies have policemen to back them up when the chain
> of trust is broken. Maybe bitcoin mark II will be solid gold.
>
> Eduardus

Hey Eduardus, Concerning your good motto for bitcoin mark II, could you change it to say "a chain of trust tied to an open market" or "a chain of trust tied to the people" or "a chain of trust tied to a logic based system"? Fiat has lying politicians to back them up so even the "nothing" is more appealing at this point.

Jeff Hill

Apr 23, 2021, 7:21:44 PM4/23/21
On Fri, 23 Apr 2021 14:08:59 -0700 (PDT), Ryan Wilson
<log...@gmail.com> wrote:

>or bitcoin ma

Good-day Gentlemen, Pardon me, may I contribute my SEXTANS' worth to
your discussion, the antecedents of which I know not. At first sight I
thought that CATENA FIDE DIGNORVM AD NIHILVM CONEXA might be a
hexameter, and I am disappointed to discover otherwise!

v - v v - - - * - v v - - - -
CATENA FIDE DIGNORVM AD NIHILVM CONEXA

If you allow me to coin a term: MONETALES MORSVS = coin bites =
bitcoins, and allow me to scan VERSIONEM as I think Catullus or
someone might have done in order to poke -IO- into a hexameter,

- v v|- -| vv * -| - v v|- -|- v
HANCE VIDE VERSIONEM EDVARDE: MONETALES SVNT
- -| - v v|- v v|* - -|- -|- v
MORSVS DIGNA CATENA FIDE AD NILVM CONEXA.

Look at this version, Ed: Bitcoins are a chain worthy of one's faith
but are underwritten by nuttin'.

In the original version, CATENA FIDE DIGNORVM AD NIHILVM CONEXA, what
is the translation of the DIGNORVM clause? Or, why is DIGNORVM a
(neuter? male?) plural?

Bono Voxel

Dec 12, 2022, 6:10:35 AM12/12/22
Il giorno giovedì 23 ottobre 2014 alle 08:41:38 UTC+2 baronnet...@gmail.com ha scritto:
> You're a faggot for even buying a bitcoin.

Hello, it's 2022 December 13th here.
Bitcoin has probably reached the bottom of the current bear market, with a value of 15.500 US dollars a week ago or so, now 12% up.
Let's see tomorrow if in this Q4 2022 the CPI will be under 7.3%, hopefully since we hade over 8% last summer.

Barack Obama isn't the POTUS anymore, US army has left Afghanistan which is now a pile of debris and sand but with less oil.

Ah, almost forgot Donald Trump has been next.
And you've no clue who's going to come! (Even because i'd tell you a name and you've probably never heard of him before, he looks like just escaped from a retirement castle.)

Hope for your best! Cheers! ;)